• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Sagitario

Quick question:

I remember reading a post about a missable heart container if you do the skyward strike at the end of a dungeon (if you don't pick it up before the strike, it's gone for good). No other comment was made about it.

Any clues about that?

Theonik

Just finished it. I really enjoyed it. Had some minor gripes of course but I still had a lot of fun. Partly regret finishing it so quickly. I also kind of regret (post-endgame spoilers):
Enabling Hero mode without going back to do some of the sidequests. I reckon they'll be a real pain to do there, anyone know what the differences are? Though I kind of doubt I'll replay it anytime soon maybe if I can give it another whirl on Dolphin when I have a competent enough PC

Socreges

Banned
I don't get how SM3DL would alienate anyone. Sure the early levels are easy as hell, but still enjoyable and there is also NO annoying tutorials, no bullshit cinematic intro or dialogue. Zelda could really learn a lot from that game.
That's all I'm referring to. The first four WORLDS are easy as hell. If I hadn't already heard that there were several special worlds that were challenging, I might have dumped the game for a while.

fernoca

So, an update to this... (rattle sidequest)
It's a baby rattle for a later side quest. The 'expected way' to attain is sky diving from a location you can't yet access. But I was able to get it early with the beetle. Grabbing it is finicky, though.

the actual side quest won't be available until you have 'expected' equipment

Oh, so it is possible to get it with that item? :O!
I even watched the video..and still sucked at getting it; so left it for later...gonna try now! :O!

EDIT:
Oh..guess I need to upgrade it.. :/ .. doing that, only need 2 Hornet Larvaes... :p
Reading around and after doing it, it is possible to do it without the "expected or recommended way" (i.e.
diving from the top of the waterfall
)
What I did, after reading around here and other forums (Gamespot, GameFAQs, etc.):
Stop Beedle's Shop close to the bird nest.
Use 'Gust Bellows' to blow the dust/sand from the nest (you can't see it, but just point towards the center of it)
Use the beetle to fly towards the nest/center and grab the rattle
And there!
Seemed way easier (to me) than the original way, which I just failed..and failed. :p
So, a good/easy alternative to those having problems with that one.

No need for upgraded items neither (since the distance is relatively close); ...but at least I had some fun upgrading the remaining items. :p

finished dungeon 4. pretty awesome dungeon but i thought it felt kinda short. boss was awesome though...almost died too after using up all 3 of my red potions

Quick question:

I remember reading a post about a missable heart container if you do the skyward strike at the end of a dungeon (if you don't pick it up before the strike, it's gone for good). No other comment was made about it.

Any clues about that?

I have only completed the first two dungeons but it seems that when you do the strike, it initiates a sequence that takes you out of the dungeon that you cannot skip, meaning if you didn't grab the heart piece before the sequence you will no longer be next to it. Now, I do not know if you can trudge through the whole dungeon once completed back to the boss room and have the heart piece still sit there. I guess that is the ultimate question that needs to be answered because if it is gone then the piece is definitely missable, otherwise it just becomes a slog to go back and get it.

oatmeal

Banned
So, an update to this... (rattle sidequest)

Reading around and after doing it, it is possible to do it without the "expected or recommended way" (i.e.
diving from the top of the waterfall
)
What I did, after reading around here and other forums (Gamespot, GameFAQs, etc.):
Stop Beedle's Shop close to the bird nest.
Use 'Gust Bellows' to blow the dust/sand from the nest (you can't see it, but just point towards the center of it)
Use the beetle to fly towards the nest/center and grab the rattle
And there!
Seemed way easier (to me) than the original way, which I just failed..and failed. :p
So, a good/easy alternative to those having problems with that one.

No need for upgraded items neither (since the distance is relatively close); ...but at least I had some fun upgrading the remaining items. :p

I did it the right way (if you can call it that)...and my GOD...so frustrating.

Took at least 15 attempts. I even went on YouTube to see how people were doing it and it was the same thing...just wans't working.

Quick question:

Any clues about that?

All someone said was not to do that. It probably triggers a cutscene and you can't get back to the heart container. I don't know what additional information you're looking for, just... don't do the Skyward Strike first?

Air

Banned
So far my biggest complaint with the game was a segment where you had to draw a circle before you met the water dragon. That was not fun at all. I redrew it a lot and ended up getting it right after I stopped caring how it looked. There shouldn't be any of that unless its on a touchscreen or something. Anyway, my hype was realistic (never understood the hyperbole to begin with), so all of the faults don't really bother me, because no game is perfect. I think for what it wants to do, the game does it great so far. It would have been cool if there were some crazy chase scenes in the pre-dungeon areas. While this is a truly experimental zelda, I like its foundation, and I think if they keep this kind of perspective for the franchise, it will go further than it ever has. Skyward sword seems like a transitional Zelda. It's breaking rules and adding new things, so there will be slips and stumbles. But it really isn't frustrating for me. I can't wait until I have free time to play it again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
aargh, this game has bloody wheel skeletons in it!

Well, enemies that are very similar. I hate them. Nearly as much as I hated that bloody pumpkin picking mission. So many times I just ended walking over to the right and nearly falling off the edge.

cajunator

Banned
In the last dungeon and Im happy to say this is my GOTY and favorite 3d zelda.
I especially love how everything in this game seems so carefully thought out and seems to have a reason for "being". This brought the feeling of 2d zeldas that was somewhat lacking in the 3d itinerations. Its staggering to think how the developers tackled the design of this game. It does so many things, with such a level of polish.
The fights now have a feeling of meaning behind them EVERY time. I keep on finding new ways to defeat old foes. I love the more compact feel of the areas and the uniqueness each one presents. Where in Twilight Princess I was tugging along to see new areas as sort of a chore here i am enjoying the one im in and anticipating what will come next. The upgrade system is brilliantly implemented and makes the search of elements so meaningful and distinct. Finding things sometimes using the harp, the whip or the net is so rewarding.
I also love how even the map is a meaningful item this time around in distinct ways to advance through dungeons, or how the items seem to stay relevant all throughout the adventure.
This is the first zelda since MM that had me knowing all of the NPCs too(WW came close).

I completely agree with edge, if this is the new direction zelda is taking, bring on the next 25 years.

PS. chalk me up for one more that absolutely loves the swiming. Finally a zelda with exciting swiming controls (for me.)

It really is amazing how people can play the same game and have such wildly differing opinions of it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
if i was a betting man, i'd think nintendo would try and do something wacky like have the zelda on the tv be 3d and the representation of the game on the tablet look 2d.

Bring back Fi. What the tablet displays is what Fi see's the world as: objects overlaid with percentage statistics. Everything labelled with "85% this is water", "50% chance this lava will burn" and the aim of the game is for an OCD Link to bring all those statistics up to 100% by fucking around with everything over and over again until her data file is complete. This includes fighting all bosses 10 times each to record all their attack moves and what weapons they are weakest to.

oatmeal

Banned
Bring back Fi. What the tablet displays is what Fi see's the world as: objects overlaid with percentage statistics. Everything labelled with "85% this is water", "50% chance this lava will burn" and the aim of the game is for an OCD Link to bring all those statistics up to 100% by fucking around with everything over and over again until her data file is complete. This includes fighting all bosses 10 times each to record all their attack moves and what weapons they are weakest to.

The main TV screen could freeze and say "Look down at tablet"

And you look down and it says "There is a 95% chance that you looked down."

I will say one last thing though. As a communication major, I am particularly fond of communication theory. And in particular, I reckon a lot of the defending of blatantly terrible mechanics in this game is a result of cognitive dissonance. We've waited for this game for five years. A lot of us, like with Twilight Princess, succumbed to hype that was way too lofty for the product we ended up with. So instead of accepting reality, some people are doing complex mental gymnastics to convince themselves that some of the games problems either aren't very bad or are a matter of "preference". I know entertainment isn't objective by any means, but there has to be at least SOME standard based on reasoned opinion by which to judge games, or else every single game could be both the best and worst thing ever because it would solely come down to a completely neutral, impartial, subjectivity that doesn't place value on good design decisions over bad ones.

Ahhh, so much projection! I didn't succumb to hype. My most effusive comment a month or two ago was that the game looked "unfuckwittable". So I've got about two months of significant interest in the game behind me. I have not been anxiously anticipating the next Zelda game for the last five years. I didn't even like or finish the two DS games, and I can take or leave Twilight Princess. So I have survived disappointing Zelda games before... somehow. Somehow. But 25 hours in, I am mostly delighted by this new Zelda game.

I acknowledge it has imperfections. I acknowledge imperfections in nearly every game. I wish Fi didn't interrupt so much. I wish Dark Souls' inventory management didn't suck balls. I wish Bethesda's games didn't have code cancer. And so it goes. I find these flaws to be relatively marginal in the face of all that is awesome about these games. (OK, buggy Elder Scrolls/Fallout is really annoying. But still.) This not the result of "cognitive dissonance", but rather my inability to feel personally injured by a game with a handful of questionable design decisions against many more that really tickle my fancy. I couldn't match the word count in your post--in which you railed and beat your fists against a game that you couldn't wait to get back to for a thousand words or so--if I tried.

Garcia

I broke my shield and killed myself without Fi jabbering at me, so they work! Thanks a lot for finding the codes.

Here's how I used them.

(As far as I know you will need a hacked Wii and have installed Homebrew Channel and Gecko OS. I am not a good person to ask how to do this as it's been years since I did anything Homebrew. I'm sure there are good guides on Google.)

Download this .gct file I made from GeckoCodes.org. It contains the three codes above.
Put the file in your SD card under codes\

Put your SD card in your Wii and launch Homebrew Channel and Gecko OS.

Make sure SD Cheats is set to YES under options, then Launch Game.

Hopefully another code for message speed is floating around somewhere or will be made... I can't seem to find one yet.

Man, thank you! :D !

Sagitario

All someone said was not to do that. It probably triggers a cutscene and you can't get back to the heart container. I don't know what additional information you're looking for, just... don't do the Skyward Strike first?

I thought it was about a hidden ones.
Now that I recall, are there any heart pieces in dungeons? Like in the first temple [haven't found them in others after the first] or in Twilight Princess [2 per dungeon]...

And FINALLY got the landing motion (thanks to a few gaffers). Really enjoying the controls now (except for rope :p).

i played three hours of the game, I dislike this game. I don't understand why they went with the cinematography route a la final fantasy but refuse to put in speech.

dwu8991

Banned
It really is amazing how people can play the same game and have such wildly differing opinions of it.

SS embraces a lot of the stuff that made Tales of Symphoina such a hit.
It blends a story that inter winds with multiple characters, focuses on relationships, has lots of reading text. For me, I enjoys these types of adventures where you take your time and go on a long journey.

I thought it was about a hidden ones.
Now that I recall, are there any heart pieces in dungeons? Like in the first temple [haven't found them in others after the first] or in Twilight Princess [2 per dungeon]...

And FINALLY got the landing motion (thanks to a few gaffers). Really enjoying the controls now (except for rope :p).

There are heart pieces are in
1st dungeon, 5th and 6th

Red

I was already extremely annoyed/disappointed with all the motion controls in this game, but I am now stuck on the first dungeon boss, Girihim or whatever. Is there some kind of secret I'm missing or something? I've never been so infuriated with a Zelda game before. At least with TP we could get the GCN version and use a normal controller.

I'm starting to feel like I wasted my money on this POS game.
I love posts like this. I don't know why, but I see it as a positive when a few experienced gamers have trouble with the controls. Shows me that Nintendo didn't just do another waggle-fest, but really implemented true motion based combat. Something so different not everyone can wrap their head around it.

I have 0 problems with them. Find them so natural that button-based combat feels artificial and limiting in comparison.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I was already extremely annoyed/disappointed with all the motion controls in this game, but I am now stuck on the first dungeon boss, Girihim or whatever. Is there some kind of secret I'm missing or something? I've never been so infuriated with a Zelda game before. At least with TP we could get the GCN version and use a normal controller.

I'm starting to feel like I wasted my money on this POS game.

HowTobeatGhirahim.png

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Lamonster, rather than the passive aggressive aboves, the key is to hold your sword to the opposite side of where you're gonna slash him, after a few seconds his hand will 'lock' to that position, then slash from the other side.

No, not some breakthrough 1:1 sword combat from the gods, just obscure videogame logic you might not pick up on. This also becomes the de facto way to deal with 'blockers'. Not some fluid swordplay on the fly, but a tiring exercise in 'fooling' the game with mis-direction.

jackdoe

I love posts like this. I don't know why, but I see it as a positive when a few experienced gamers have trouble with the controls. Shows me that Nintendo didn't just do another waggle-fest, but really implemented true motion based combat. Something so different not everyone can wrap their head around it.

I have 0 problems with them. Find them so natural that button-based combat feels artificial and limiting in comparison.
The problem with that is that the Wii motion plus can be imprecise at times as well so that is another factor to take into account. After all, you don't need a lot of brain power to slash sideways, diagonally, or up and down. You DO need to understand that if you're off by even a little bit (slight angle), or there's IR interference, or you swing too fast that the motion plus won't pick up on it correctly, and that can be frustrating as hell and is the true learning curve.

You have to essentially be mindful of the fact that motion plus has limits to its 1:1 mapping and you have to stay within those limits if you don't want to fuck up the controls. After 16 hours with motion plus, I can say that I understand those limitations and am enjoying the game for the most part (the Harp can suck a dick and go to hell though). However, I'm a patient gamer and I can see the more impatient gamers not willing to put up with it, and I can understand it from their perspective as well.

Mistle

I love this game so much so far. Mid-third dungeon. Every area in the game has been a joy to explore, and they've also been really creative. Especially where I'm at atm.

Whoever says the music is no good is crazy... Pretty much everything that I've heard so far I have loved. So many stand-out tunes that just keep coming everytime I go somewhere new.
The dynamic/changing music of 3rd area and dungeon is so good.

And motion controls work flawlessy. I feel sorry for those who are having trouble with them- be it it legitimately isn't working properly, or more likely, they just can't wrap their heads around how to use them properly.

In short, this game is brilliant so far. My ONLY proper disappointment so far (there are obviously other small ones that dont impact the game) is how small the sky is. It literally feels like maybe.... 4-5 tiles from Wind Wakers map. It works in context of this game, but... I'd love to just fly on into the distance and discover new places, with a day/night cycle.
Doesn't matter too much though I guess. The rest of the games brilliance makes up for it.

Lingitiz

I can't see how so many people are having trouble with the first boss. If you were able to beat the dungeon you pretty much know how to beat him already.

Alchemy

The pre-dungeon 3 area was pretty horrid. I really enjoyed
failing the power generator alignment puzzle once and having Fi tell me the exact solution to it
. Thanks for the vote of confidence game. I even got the first third of the puzzle right.

This is the first Zelda game I've felt like I had to push myself through bad segments to get to the fun areas.

Alchemy

I can't see how so many people are having trouble with the first boss. If you were able to beat the dungeon you pretty much know how to beat him already.

I find it equally strange, I did the entire fight without a shield and it was pretty straight forward and easy. I'm not even sure what purpose you would have for using a shield. Maybe to
block his charge in attack? I just rushed him and hit him out of it with my sword.

fernoca

Really enjoying the controls now (except for rope :p).

Rope controls (in Spanish :p)
Solo presiona hacia adelante con el analog stick, y agarra el Wiimote como un "palo" (puño cerrado apuntando hacia arriba). :p

Muevelo de izquiera a derecha, en ritmo (izquierda, derecha, izquierda, derecha); mientras te vas moviendo hacia alfrente. No esperes que Link se vaya a un lado para mover el Wiimote hacia al lado opuesto. Mantenlo asi constante y llegas rapido y sin interrupciones. :p

Red

The problem with that is that the Wii motion plus can be imprecise at times as well so that is another factor to take into account. After all, you don't need a lot of brain power to slash sideways, diagonally, or up and down. You DO need to understand that if you're off by even a little bit (slight angle), or there's IR interference, or you swing too fast that the motion plus won't pick up on it correctly, and that can be frustrating as hell and is the true learning curve.

You have to essentially be mindful of the fact that motion plus has limits to its 1:1 mapping and you have to stay within those limits if you don't want to fuck up the controls. After 16 hours with motion plus, I can say that I understand those limitations and am enjoying the game for the most part (the Harp can suck a dick and go to hell though). However, I'm a patient gamer and I can see the more impatient gamers not willing to put up with it, and I can understand it from their perspective as well.

Yes, but I have a feeling a large part of the complaints are due to people who are don't want to move and are impatient in that they want an immediate button press instead of relying on their own skill or dexterity.

I don't disagree with you, and I don't think the controls are 100% there just yet, but I vastly prefer them to the traditional method. I don't know if I've just been lucky, or what, but controlling nearly everything in SS has come naturally to me. From the moment I get a new item or learn a new ability, I can use it as if it's been in the series all along.

I'm not discounting times when M+ doesn't work as it should, only speaking generally. It could be that some people are running into issues unrelated to how they're playing and due solely to what they're playing with. But I know the controls should work, and I can't imagine why one Wii set up would be markedly different from mine. More likely the controls haven't clicked with the player.

So yes: motion controls come with their own set of limitations, but within a bigger net than a traditional gamepad.

Slime

Banned
Got to the third area, was loving it, and then...my TV decides to crap out.

Blurgh.

Can't wait to get back to it. I just don't know when that will be. :(

Damn, I'm an idiot. I didn't even realize there was a bed in the pumpkin bar. Though it doesn't look like there's much to do at night there anyway, but I do like exploring places that aren't Skyloft at night.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Damn, I'm an idiot. I didn't even realize there was a bed in the pumpkin bar. Though it doesn't look like there's much to do at night there anyway, but I do like exploring places that aren't Skyloft at night.

What the fuck I didn't even know that hahaha. So there are other night quests there too? Damn how much stuff am I missing XD!

Who would've thought that the final boss would be
Akuma from Street Fighter
. Joking aside, I'm overall disappointed with the game. It started out amazingly but I felt they threw a lot of stuff in just to kill time and I didn't feel like I was really accomplishing anything. The ending kind of left me still wanting closure and I really, really wish I hadn't done this "Hero Mode" crap either. Is it the same exact story and whatnot with just slightly modified dungeons? I won't bother with it if that's the case.

PKrockin

Lamonster, rather than the passive aggressive aboves, the key is to hold your sword to the opposite side of where you're gonna slash him, after a few seconds his hand will 'lock' to that position, then slash from the other side.

No, not some breakthrough 1:1 sword combat from the gods, just obscure videogame logic you might not pick up on. This also becomes the de facto way to deal with 'blockers'. Not some fluid swordplay on the fly, but a tiring exercise in 'fooling' the game with mis-direction.

Spoilering this just in case.

I didn't think it was obscure video game logic at all.
I noticed right away he moved his hand based on where I held the sword. When he said "your strikes are too predictable," that basically spelled it out that the position of my sword was telegraphing my move. You don't need to be a gladiator or a hardcore gamer to figure out that when someone raises a sword above their head they're going to attack with an overhead slash. And you don't need to hold the sword in a direction for a few seconds to "lock" it (I didn't even know you could do that). Just hold it for a split second until his hand moves, then strike quickly.

What I especially like is, with the way he approaches you, you naturally want to back off and see what he does first. As you back off you're very likely to notice his hand moving around.

Amir0x

Banned
I really hope Wii U Zelda has more dungeons like 4 and 5, but 5 is specifically quite interesting. It's a novel concept on multiple levels...
time shifting, instead of the lame typical 'ghost ship' motiff was quite nice. A fantastic mini-boss. The brilliant use of layered puzzles, with the time crystal in the middle and you constantly having to find grates throughout the ship to shoot it to timeshift and complete other puzzles. And then the finale of the ship was just outstanding, with crazy, like, Uncharted boss action with everything falling all over the place, ship tilting and stuff breaking. This is good, dynamic stuff that should have been in the Zelda series for years.
The game sadly has too few of these moments, but you can tell there are parts of this game that are like Nintendo cracking into the realm of god hood with the franchise again.

Ydahs

I just don't get these sword control complaints. Every swing I do accurately represents the motion I make. It's not 80% or 90% accurate, it's 100% accurate. Every time I start playing and every half an hour, I swing in every possible direction to make sure it's all calibrated and it's always perfect.

Is it possible that there's a batch of WM+ that's faulty? Or is it that people are just not concentrating enough with their swings? Probably the latter, since while watching my brother play, his swings change significantly when he's actually fighting an enemy instead of when he's just testing the sword controls.

I think Nintendo should have had a more in depth tutorial with sword controls and motion controls in general. That's the only 'hand holding' which is actually needed.

Kard8p3

I really hope Wii U Zelda has more dungeons like 4 and 5, but 5 is specifically quite interesting. It's a novel concept on multiple levels...
time shifting, instead of the lame typical 'ghost ship' motiff was quite nice. A fantastic mini-boss. The brilliant use of layered puzzles, with the time crystal in the middle and you constantly having to find grates throughout the ship to shoot it to timeshift and complete other puzzles. And then the finale of the ship was just outstanding, with crazy, like, Uncharted boss action with everything falling all over the place, ship tilting and stuff breaking. This is good, dynamic stuff that should have been in the Zelda series for years.
The game sadly has too few of these moments, but you can tell there are parts of this game that are like Nintendo cracking into the realm of god hood with the franchise again.

Once again I say the team that designed everything in the desert region need to work on all the areas in the WiiU Zelda.

olimpia84

Just got to the 3rd dungeon. The pre-dungeon part in the mines is my least favorite in the game so far. Hopefully things improve once I start the dungeon.

V_Ben

Banned

Yeah, that whole section is definitely my favourite part of the game so far. It was so cinematic and just plain cool at points. Loved all of it.

Anth0ny

5 is the Snowpeak Ruins of Skyward Sword. So good.

Top Bottom