• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Just finished the third dungeon. The game is really starting to hit its stride. I really like the way the dungeons are implemented in the overworlds and how there's a lot less separation between the two. It reminds me a lot of LttP actually, in that way at least.

Kard8p3

Just got to the 3rd dungeon. The pre-dungeon part in the mines is my least favorite in the game so far. Hopefully things improve once I start the dungeon.

It was one of my favorite parts. The desert region as a whole is one of the best locations in a zelda game to me.

Tenbatsu

I've been playing for about two hours, but can't figure out how to turn off the hideous HUD. It's possible, right?
Press 1, its just at the bottom left of the screen.

BTW anyone managed to break Clean Cut record of 41 or 43 slices? I only managed 32 dam.

ASIS

I will say one last thing though. As a communication major, I am particularly fond of communication theory. And in particular, I reckon a lot of the defending of blatantly terrible mechanics in this game is a result of cognitive dissonance. We've waited for this game for five years. A lot of us, like with Twilight Princess, succumbed to hype that was way too lofty for the product we ended up with. So instead of accepting reality, some people are doing complex mental gymnastics to convince themselves that some of the games problems either aren't very bad or are a matter of "preference". I know entertainment isn't objective by any means, but there has to be at least SOME standard based on reasoned opinion by which to judge games, or else every single game could be both the best and worst thing ever because it would solely come down to a completely neutral, impartial, subjectivity that doesn't place value on good design decisions over bad ones.

Read what I said earlier,

me said:
I also wanted to point this out before, not sure why I didn't..

Anyway, it seems to me that the people who are getting annoyed by the "padding" just want the dungeon after the dungeon after the dungeon style of play. They consider the dungeons to be the core part of Zelda, and who's to say they're wrong actually?

But the tears of light, for instance, were an excellent change of pace for me. It felt like progression whereas others would have seen it as tool to hold the player back just to increase the clock count. Another one is the infamous
Flooded faron woods, I absolutely LOVED this section because it was also a change of pace. Everything calmed down, no enemies to fight, no puzzles to solve. The place was peaceful and full of NPC's, the objective wasn't difficult, it was just searching and exploring a familiar place but in a different situation. I've always wanted a huge body of water where the objective is to just explore it, nothing else. To my surprise it was actually here! The fact that they chose to do it in the woods rather than a lake (which was right beside it) was a very creative decision ont their part. I just loved that part really
. Others have, and will surely see this as the game's low point because it's slowing them down from the main objective as well as the pace in general.

I knew this would be have an MM feel to it once I realized this, add the fact that there is no traditional overworld, and sprinkle the motion controls on top. And no wonder you have a polarizing Zelda at your hand.

Thank god I'm actually one of the people who enjoyed this title.

I'm one of the people who believes that FFX was the best Final fantasy title out there, I am one of the people who prefers DD over any other Mario Kart games. This was before I even knew of NeoGaf and those opinions haven't changed, the standards set by the community has no bearing on a person's opinion if the community itself hasn't even spoken at the time. The fact that "we are deluding ourselves" is downright insulting. I didn't even know most of these would be problems when I played them myself so pardon me for not pointing out "flaws" that I didn't even know existed.

Another thing I wanted to say, Ami has been going on about the varying degrees of tolerance towards the game, but this implies that anyone who didn't mind those "padding" quests are practically apologists who will eat whatever is being thrown at them. That, for me at least, is not true at all. I didn't "bear" these padding sequences, I genuinely enjoyed them. The parts that definitely felt like padding I pointed out immediately, but I'm sorry that a 10-15 minute segment didn't ruin my entire experience, no, I must be deluding myself, that must be it!

You have different expectations for what a good Zelda should be, that's fine. But please don't pass down as what you are any other thinks is the standard. Because what I'm seeing here is also a fairly large group that are in love with the game.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What's the easiest way to get ornemental skulls? I've been running all over Eldin killing bokoblins and not a single one dropped...yes i even have the treasure medal. Frustrating.

Ridley327

What's the easiest way to get ornemental skulls? I've been running all over Eldin killing bokoblins and not a single one dropped...yes i even have the treasure medal. Frustrating.

Nothing but pure vigilance, I'm afraid.

Generally speaking, though, the higher rank ones tend to drop them more frequently, so be on the lookout for the ones wearing bandanas or the
mooblins that show up after you beat the third dungeon.

What exacty do the treasure and life medals do? I'm guessing you find more rupees and hearts, respectively.
The Treasure Medal increases the chances of enemies dropping treasures. I think the Life Medal is the one that grants you an extra Heart Container provided you have it in your Adventure Pouch, but it might be the one that increases your chances to find recovery hearts. What color is it?

I've been playing for about two hours, but can't figure out how to turn off the hideous HUD. It's possible, right?
For some goofy reason you can't change it right away--Fi tells you when you can (I want to say it's about the time you first leave Skyloft). In case you missed her telling you, it's in the 1 button menu, at the bottom left. There are three settings, Pro turns off everything outside of the hearts, shield meter, rupees, and equipped B button item. If the option to change it isn't there, then you haven't unlocked the ability yet.

Ridley327

The Treasure Medal increases the chances of enemies dropping treasures. I think the Life Medal is the one that grants you an extra Heart Container provided you have it in your Adventure Pouch, but it might be the one that increases your chances to find recovery hearts. What color is it?

The Life Medal is white (like a piece of heart, really) and the Heart Medal is gold.

ASIS

I decided that one thing that is frustrating about the game is that it FORCES you to explore, rather than just making you want to naturally, because you want to check it out. It's what makes replaying these games so horrible, because you are forced to re-explore.

This is actually a good point. I was thinking earlier that if they made all the
silent realms/dragon
quests optional no one would complain and everyone would do it anyway.

Weird how the mind works :p.

Mistle

Just finished dungeon 3. Brilliant, brilliant dungeon (Fi didn't interrupt me a single time throughout the whole thing. Her annoyance is overstated in this thread imo) And the cutscene afterwards has to be one of the best Zelda cinematics in the entire series! Complimented by fantastic music.

Man I am loving this game.

Just finished dungeon 3. Brilliant, brilliant dungeon (Fi didn't interrupt me a single time throughout the whole thing. Her annoyance is overstated in this thread imo) And the cutscene afterwards has to be one of the best Zelda cinematics in the entire series! Complimented by fantastic music.

Man I am loving this game.

I felt the same. I didn't expect the story to be anything special because, I mean, Zelda stories are pretty much always the same, but the cinematic touch was great.

I don't think the Wii Remote is being imprecise when people get caught by the first boss.

I think what's happening is people move the sword one way, then try and reposition it for the actual strike, when the reposition isn't at all necessary. Even if your sword as on the right, if you flick up, Link will do an upward slash.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

It seems like not a lot of people know that Ornamental Skulls can be gotten by using the
whip
on Bokoblins, hahaha.

oatmeal

Banned
This is actually a good point. I was thinking earlier that if they made all the
silent realms/dragon
quests optional no one would complain and everyone would do it anyway.

Weird how the mind works :p.

Honestly the SR doesn't really bother me. The other one I have only done a couple things for (i'm through 5 dungeons)...

I'm talking more the Kikwi and the five key shards, shit like that. It forces you to go around and learn the layout, when the layout should make you want to check it out in the first place.

It's just...there isn't any moment in the game where I feel like I've discovered something for myself. It ruins the experience quite a bit.

Red

I don't think the Wii Remote is being imprecise when people get caught by the first boss.

I think what's happening is people move the sword one way, then try and reposition it for the actual strike, when the reposition isn't at all necessary. Even if your sword as on the right, if you flick up, Link will do an upward slash.

A tip for people having trouble: if you hold the sword in one place for a long time, the boss will linger there longer than if you quickly switched. It's super easy to feign this way.

Just finished dungeon 4 (?) I guess:
everyone keeps saying this is the best in the game? But it's just a quick trip through the first dungeon over again? Or is "dungeon 4" the cistern that I've just entered?

A tip for people having trouble: if you hold the sword in one place for a long time, the boss will linger there longer than if you quickly switched. It's super easy to feign this way.

everyone keeps saying this is the best in the game? But it's just a quick trip through the first dungeon over again? Or is "dungeon 4" the cistern that I've just entered?

The Cistern is Dungeon 4.

ASIS

Honestly the SR doesn't really bother me. The other one I have only done a couple things for (i'm through 5 dungeons)...

I'm talking more the Kikwi and the five key shards, shit like that. It forces you to go around and learn the layout, when the layout should make you want to check it out in the first place.

It's just...there isn't any moment in the game where I feel like I've discovered something for myself. It ruins the experience quite a bit.

I don't know, i've felt a great sense of discovery for the key shards specifically. But i do kinda get what you're saying.

And sorry I thought you already finished the game. We'll talk later when you do then :p.

oatmeal

Banned

The second one.

Everyone is referring to the Cistern when they're talking about Dungeon 4.

EDIT: Beaten like a red-headed step child.

oatmeal

Banned
I don't know, i've felt a great sense of discovery for the key shards specifically. But i do kinda get what you're saying.

And sorry I thought you already finished the game. We'll talk later when you do then :p.

No worries, you didn't spoil anything.

I had a good session last night, like 5 hours...it was sweet. Probably the best 5 hours of the game so far. It was basically everything leading up to the fifth dungeon, and some upgrading side questing....

Finally figured out you can catch the birds, though it's not fucking easy at all.

vaelic

Banned
Ok I'm a dummy, I just got the first sword in the village and I'm supposed to jump in to the light for the forest but how do I get to the light in the clouds?

Red

So early dungeon 4 puzzle question:

I'm at this door I need to open by hitting gems in sequence. I see a pattern of blue markings on crosses in the water outside, but I don't know which one is the starting point. Is there a clue somewhere I'm missing?

Van Owen

Banned

I'm at this door I need to open by hitting gems in sequence. I see a pattern of blue markings on crosses in the water outside, but I don't know which one is the starting point. Is there a clue somewhere I'm missing?

There's literally a sign that tells you where to find the correct order.

A tombstone on the statue will give you the order.

ASIS

Ok I'm a dummy, I just got the first sword in the village and I'm supposed to jump in to the light for the forest but how do I get to the light in the clouds?

Jump off the island from any of the wooden platforms, press down on the D-pad. And then the rest should be easy.

oatmeal

Banned
Well, that's a disappointment.

It's not even a hint or anything. It just tells you flat out exactly what the order is.

No it doesn't.

It tells you which order you need to find the clues in.

The four clues are in the room (one in each hand, and two on the back) and they give you a direction to hit. Put them in the order that the slab says, and you have your order.

Phenomic

I have a similar question to the Dungeon 4 Puzzle Question addressed in the previous posts.

Dungeon 5 did the same kind of thing with the Spinning Switch door. However, when I solved this one I blew the sand in the ground, but I couldn't find any indication of which one was the accurate order. I ended up like just essentially guessing what I thought it might have been and literally opened it up on the 2nd try. I found nothing else related to this during the whole dungeon. What did I miss because I'm at this point just curious about it.

I didn't want to look online and I figured I was going to go back and look around a little more but I never ended up having too.

What's annoying is that right after I buy a medal for several hundred rupees, I find one in a chest. Fuck.

Anyway, I'm @ the final fight. Got my ass kicked the 1st time, so thought Id run around collecting pending goddess chests and finishing up some side-quests before doing it again for real. What's annoying is how useless so many of the upgrades are (except the shield). I wish there was something cool you coud actually buy with a shit ton of rupees (like 5000-9000, you know, even a costume change, cool new weapon, SOMETHING thats worth putting an ounce of effort for and working towards. Have a couple thousand rupees and a shitload of treasure/bugs I can sell, but there's no reason to and they're utterly useless.

goddamn, pipit lives in a fucking slum lol house is nasty. thought it was gonna be a house full of skulltulas or something

..and his mom sounds a little too happy when you blow wind at her

I have a similar question to the Dungeon 4 Puzzle Question addressed in the previous posts.

Dungeon 5 did the same kind of thing with the Spinning Switch door. However, when I solved this one I blew the sand in the ground, but I couldn't find any indication of which one was the accurate order. I ended up like just essentially guessing what I thought it might have been and literally opened it up on the 2nd try. I found nothing else related to this during the whole dungeon. What did I miss because I'm at this point just curious about it.

I didn't want to look online and I figured I was going to go back and look around a little more but I never ended up having too.

Not that hard. The order you see the wheels in is the right order. I just tried that intuitively and it worked.

AniHawk

the number of the red pointy things on the top told you the order. i thought it was a much better puzzle than dungeon 4's version of it.

dungeon 4 and that FUCKING BOSS FIGHT

tlSaw.gif

Each wheel that shows the directions you have to hit has a certain number of pegs colored red. One has one peg colored red, another two, another three, and one has four. That's the correct order.

EDIT: Beaten bad again!

Red

it's a disappointment that you didn't see the sign there in the first place.
I'm conditioned to skip signs in Zelda games. Usually they have only superfluous info. Been that way since aLttP.

Environmental cues are a much better way to handle puzzles. I'm not a fan of the "do this" school of thought.

Phenomic

the number of the red pointy things on the top told you the order. i thought it was a much better puzzle than dungeon 4's version of it.

Wait there was multiple red things on the dials on the ground? I swear I just remember each side having one red space which indicated to me only the 4 you have to press, but certainly not which order they went in. I need to find a video or something that explains it or something because I honestly don't remember that.

AniHawk

Wait there was multiple red things on the dials on the ground? I swear I just remember each side having one red space which indicated to me only the 4 you have to press, but certainly not which order they went in. I need to find a video or something that explains it or something because I honestly don't remember that.

yeah the wheels had a different number of prongs in red.

AniHawk

Blarrg! That honestly bothers me because it seems like that would be so obvious. How would I miss that. Maybe I'm like some kind of super idiot.

if it makes you feel any better, i got lost in that dungeon a couple times myself. it was a pretty good one.

Top Bottom