• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

BY2K

Membero Americo
if it makes you feel any better, i got lost in that dungeon a couple times myself. it was a pretty good one.

Me too.
After reactivating the engine room I ran around for a good 15 minutes going: Where do I go? Where do I go!?

Phenomic

if it makes you feel any better, i got lost in that dungeon a couple times myself. it was a pretty good one.

Arrrg I don't even know how to describe what the hell happened in my mind on this one. I feel like I've had plenty of derp moments in this game though. I never once got lost in a dungeon though I knew exactly where to go.

Couple More in Dungeon 1

Literally couldn't find the switch to open the first dungeon. Don't know why, but looking up was beyond my realm of thinking. Did find it eventually, but it should have been instant in my mind I guess.

Got to the first eye puzzle in that dungeon and thought to myself I had to shoot it. Fi kept telling they follow my sword. Literally I thought I even tried moving my sword around and nothing seemed to work, but in hind sight I didn't swing it around enough. Read online that's what I had to do and finally got it to trigger.

Alchemy

Dungeon 3 boss was underwhelming and to easy. Only reason I got hit once was because of a failed stab register. The dungeon was neat, but I was expecting a little more from some of the reactions here. The dungeons are still going by way faster then the pre-dungeon fetching which is disappointing.

I find myself happy and depressed that I never use my shields. I despise the durability system so I never use them, but I don't feel like they're even that useful anyways. It almost feels like a core part of the franchise just isn't there anymore.

For me Skyward Sword has gone from complete and utter shit (pre-dungeon 2) to average. The dungeons are fun and standard Zelda affair (nothing feels above and beyond the series standard yet) but the low points are still really terrible.

I have a feeling I'd be all over this games nuts if they just cut the padding between dungeons out and gave Fi a ball gag. As annoying and bad as the motion controls are compared to traditional ones, they're passable after getting used to them.

This is the slowest I've ever gone through a Zelda game, and I imagine I wouldn't even be forcing myself through it if it wasn't a Zelda game. Twilight Princess wasn't the most engaging game of the series (though still high quality), and I managed to plow through 25 hours of it in two days. Skyward Sword? I have about 12 hours in it since last Tuesday.

AniHawk

Me too.
After reactivating the engine room I ran around for a good 15 minutes going: Where do I go? Where do I go!?

[dungeon 5 spoilers]
-i first saw the lifeboat, lowered the lifeboat
-couldn't get in, so i raised it then went back up
-eventually solved the puzzle to open the path to the outside
-went to the engine room, ran about a bit and murdered the bokoblin through the gate
-ran back up to the top again, realizing i needed the lifeboat
-lowered it without returning time to the present
-finished this half of the puzzle
-ran back to the engine room, only to find my path blocked again
-tried climbing the pistons in the first half like an idiot
-went BACK TO THE TOP OF THE SHIP
-finally realized there was a room at the bottom
-saw that it needed to be in the present to solve the puzzle
-solved the puzzle, proceeded to the end of the dungeon

it was my first time getting truly lost in this game. felt good man.

ASIS

Dungeon 3 boss was underwhelming and to easy. Only reason I got hit once was because of a failed stab register. The dungeon was neat, but I was expecting a little more from some of the reactions here. The dungeons are still going by way faster then the pre-dungeon fetching which is disappointing.

I find myself happy and depressed that I never use my shields. I despise the durability system so I never use them, but I don't feel like they're even that useful anyways. It almost feels like a core part of the franchise just isn't there anymore.

These two aren't true at all.

A) The dungeons in this game take about as long as normal ones do. The only difference is that the first two are a bit shorter, which is remedied by the fact that the overworld has many, many puzzles unto itself.

B) Shields and the parry attack in general have more use in this game than probably any before it (at least in the 3D Zeldas). If you never use them then how on earth can you say what it does? Is it necessary? Probably not, but it makes a lot of things so much easier.

Is the
Hylian Shield
missable? I've read that it was optional and now that I'm getting up there in progress (just
healed Levias
) I'm worried it's hidden or something. No details, just a "yeah, it's obvious when it becomes available" would be great.

ASIS

Is the
Hylian Shield
missable? I've read that it was optional and now that I'm getting up there in progress (just
healed Levias
) I'm worried it's hidden or something. No details, just a "yeah, it's obvious when it becomes available" would be great.

Yeah, it's obvious when it becomes available.

watershed

Banned
Is the
Hylian Shield
healed Levias

Its definitely missable because I beat the game without ever seeing it. In fact I still don't know how to get it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I had the same problem in Dungeon 5...

I figured that the number of pegs was the order you hit them in, but what I didn't figure out is that the two wheels near the door hinted that the red side was meant to be the top of the wheels. For some reason I assumed the red pegs on the floor wheels were always the right side, so I got kind of frustrated with the puzzle till I realized the red pegs were the top

Duderz

Banned
Just got to dungeon 5. Quick question.

I barely explored the pirate ship yard before I went after the invisible ship and made it appear. Should I finish exploring the pirate ship yard, or is the game telling me to move on and come back to it later?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
All someone said was not to do that. It probably triggers a cutscene and you can't get back to the heart container. I don't know what additional information you're looking for, just... don't do the Skyward Strike first?

Maybe it's referring to a Goddess Cube that unlocks a Heart Piece?

I know there's one behind the statue at the end of Dungeon 1...maybe Dungeon 2 has one as well, and you can't get back into that room?

Sucks if true. I need to get all the hearts. :(

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, fourth dungeon boss
Is there something I should be doing when he sends the blades flying? Because so far all I do is wait for the slam attack and rip his arms apart.

Is there something I should be doing when he sends the blades flying? Because so far all I do is wait for the slam attack and rip his arms apart.

stay near him and dodge those blades. hell attack you with the arm that he uses to cover his chest, and i think you can take it from there

The Technomancer

PICK UP THE GIANT BLADES AND TEAR HIM TO PIECES!

Right, thats in
the second phase. But in the beginning when he just throws razor blades there was one time where he did it ten times in a row without slamming and I was like "should I be doing something?"

Alchemy

These two aren't true at all.

A) The dungeons in this game take about as long as normal ones do. The only difference is that the first two are a bit shorter, which is remedied by the fact that the overworld has many, many puzzles unto itself.

B) Shields and the parry attack in general have more use in this game than probably any before it (at least in the 3D Zeldas). If you never use them then how on earth can you say what it does? Is it necessary? Probably not, but it makes a lot of things so much easier.

A) The first two dungeons are fine to be shorter, but even dungeon 3 felt pretty short. It might be possible that it is just perception caused by the pre-dugeon set up taking so damn long, but that was my major complaint anyways. The dungeons are shorter then the build up to them and it should be the opposite. I don't necessarily care if the dungeons are shorter or longer than previous Zelda titles as much as I do care that they make up the bulk of the game.

The "puzzles" in the pre-dungeon areas aren't exactly entertaining as much as they feel like lots of unnecessary running. In fact at this point in the game it feels like there was really only one puzzle (which was ruined by Fi) and a lot of forced exploration and dowsing following.

B) They don't feel useful because I don't need to use them. Things are easy enough as it is without them and I don't need to worry about them breaking when not using them. I felt like the shields were more required in previous games against certain monsters, but here I can usually counter attack fast enough to negate any reason to be defensive.

So far there has been the tendency for monsters to telegraph the hell out of their actions, so I just counter attack or dodge. Combat is usually slow paced because the game emphasizes forcing players to use the correct directional attacks, so instead of holding up a shield waiting to see attack patterns I just stab where the game tells me and I have nothing to worry about.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
As far as I ever figured out, that's all I could do. I think staying close to him would make him slam more often.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Regarding the Trigger Digger game...
What do you get if you dig up all the rupees without blowing up? Is it even worth doing? I get that it's like Minesweeper, but with no firm rules, just loose random guidelines about what rupees are even on the board and how bombs tend to be closer to the high value ones. I tried for awhile, but there's so much luck involved, it's infuriating.

Also,
what do you get for beating the times in the Silent Realm reruns?

I'm kind of annoyed with how the game so often rewards you with mid-level treasures or items that I've already bought. It was clearly stupid of me to collect and use rupees early on in the game, since half of the stuff I bought is then gifted to you through Goddess Cubes or whatever.

Jzero

So how can I get it and how can I miss it? :C
You get it from playing
and beating a couple of levels in boss rush mode

Flying feral cats at night is the scariest thing I have ever seen in my life.

Yea i always fling those little bastards off the island.
But they fly back up :(

My best is 35. I saw somewhere that somebody said the counter resets back to 1 if you manage more than 65 cuts though.
My best is 38. I was so close :/

The Technomancer

Okay, this is driving me nuts
If I pick up the giant sword, I can't dodge his attack. If I don't pick up the giant sword then there's not enough time to grab it and slice his arms off

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Okay, this is driving me nuts
If I pick up the giant sword, I can't dodge his attack. If I don't pick up the giant sword then there's not enough time to grab it and slice his arms off

What?
Slice his arms off?

You
pick them apart by using the whip to pull out the joints, yes? The main purpose of picking up the giant sword is to attack its protected core.

The Technomancer

Wow, this game does have some of the best bosses

What?
Slice his arms off?

You
pick them apart by using the whip to pull out the joints, yes? The main purpose of picking up the giant sword is to attack its protected core.
Huh?
The right three arms aren't whipable, you have to slice them off....right?

Koodo

Banned
I just finished the game, so here are my scattered and messy thoughts. Everything's just general comments, so read on without worry.

The controls were superb, the only exception being those strange and clunky swimming controls. The sword fights, in particular, were amazing. There needs to be another Zelda with this control scheme, or just simply another game with this control scheme. Never have sword fights in a game felt so exhilarating and real. The controls did take a while to get used to though, and I think Nintendo could've done a better job of easing players into the mechanisms. The sparring hall in Skyloft was a mess of an introduction to sword controls; some stationary logs really don't get the point across beyond "where you swing matters." An actual demo battle with the guy in there could've gone a long way.

The story was good, but it's definitely nowhere near the magnificence of Wind Waker's story. Many things could've been fleshed out more to give more weight to the characters and their actions. I felt Link was the only one given justice, narrative wise. Fi, in particular, was a disappointment. I actually loved how computer-like and statistical her dialogue was, but she literally was just an assistant (an annoying assistant at that, spelling out the obvious far too many times). For someone who was there with you 24/7, it's disappointing that she barely got treated like a character in a story.

The music and overworld were a bit disappointing to me. I thought the former was very generic; not bad, per se, but barring a few exceptions (main and overworld theme), I can't remember a single other piece of the soundtrack. And the overworld was a sky of missed opportunities. You have floating islands, the opportunity to go wild with creativity, yet it's really just a bunch of barren rocks floating in the sky. Boring, and not particularly pretty like Twilight Princess' stale but gorgeous overworld.

And the padding? My lawd, the padding sometimes threw the pacing off a cliff. I do have to give props to Nintendo for spicing up their padding efforts, some were actually inventive and fun, but it's all padding at the end of the day. I think the game could've benefitted greatly from a trim, especially for replay value, even if the end result was a shorter game.

I'm focusing more on complaints because talking about the achievements of the game feels redundant. We all know what makes a Zelda game great, and those elements are here as well (plus revamped and superb controls). I just hope it's not another 5 years before the next major installment.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Wow, this game does have some of the best bosses

Huh?
The right three arms aren't whipable, you have to slice them off....right?

Hmmm, can't seem to remember since it's been a while but IIRC
it's not necessary to take all of its arms. Just three or so and then Link can start using the big sword to immediately strike its center core.

Yup, since its using
its arms to protect its core so you need to chop them off--not all of them. Once the core is unprotected slice its legs and proceed to pound the core in its chest.

You can just whip off some of the arms to get a sword, then cut off the legs, then slice the core.

Varna

I'm not seeing what's so great about the bosses. The first boss fight is incredible... I'm tempted to call it the best boss fight in the entire series. It makes such great use of the controls.

Everything since has just been typical OoT era boss fights. Use dungeon item, hack away at weak point... not even for one second give a shit about your life because there is no way your going to die. I'm only at the 4th dungeon but it was so pathetic. It did take more hits then usual, but at a certain point I literally just stopped trying to dodge anything. I knew I was practically invincible. Really wish hero mode was unlocked from the start.

Alchemy

I'm not seeing what's so great about the bosses. The first boss fight is incredible... I'm tempted to call it the best boss fight in the entire series. It makes such great use of the controls.

Everything since has just been typical OoT era boss fights. Use dungeon item, hack away at weak point... not even for one second give a shit about your life because there is no way your going to die. I'm only at the 4th dungeon but it was so pathetic. It did take more hits then usual, but at a certain point I literally just stopped trying to dodge anything. I knew I was practically invincible. Really wish hero mode was unlocked from the start.

I dunno if I would call the first boss the fight the best of the series, but it is so far of the game. Boss 2 and 3 were pretty generic feeling in terms of mechanics. The third one didn't even really do anything but die in a few moments.

Red

The only kind of normal boring boss I've seen so far has been in dungeon 3.

Just finished the fourth dungeon. I like that, opposed to Twilight Princess, these dungeons are smaller and built to accommodate shortcuts as you progress.

They aren't as huge, but they are still dense with content.

peakish

Bosses in Zelda games have been too much focus new dungeon item on correct spot, hit weak spot for massive damage these last games. I'm four temples in, the second boss was exactly like that but the third was more like a brawl and I hardly used the item at all when fighting it (and never while damaging it). The fourth was pretty much a mix of the two styles with a small twist.

I don't remember if OOT bosses were like that or not, but WW or TP didn't have this variety in fighting them so far. And though I haven't died on any boss yet I've had to use a potion on all but one so they're certainly more challenging than in a long time (I'd happily double their damage output, but Nintendo still seem to be afraid of multiple difficulty levels for some stupid reason).

Edit: Haha, reading the above posts, they've apparently had the opposite experience with bosses. Cool.

Btw, if SomeDude is reading this: Your PM inbox is full so I can't reply to your message :)

fernoca

Well, 42 hours in and silly me for thinking I was close to the end after Dungeon
. "Oh, you think that's it? lol..here..GO!!"

So, just beat it. All in all, even with the irritations, a magical game. The final battles, all the way to the end of the credits was an absolutely beautiful sequence. End cutscene was definitely emotional, and gave me those nostalgic Zelda shivers.

There's not many games I can genuinely call 'magical', but this was one of them. Will I be replaying it? Nope, never. For me, it's one of those games that will serve me best with a single play through, of which Ill keep the memory of the experience.

mjc

Just wrapped up the third dungeon and it was pretty great. I loved the puzzles and mechanics of the whole thing.

Dynedom

I need to double check what my final playtime was. In terms of what I did:

-Upgraded every item except the wooden and iron shields
-Collected one of every bug and treasure
-Collected the
Hylian shield
-With life medals, got up to 18 hearts
-
Turned Batreaux human
-Picked up every Goddess Cube treasure (at least I think I did)
-8 slots in my pouch

LOL

Guy: The windmill has been sitting here uselessly ever since the propeller fell off. It's probably somewhere beneath the clouds.
*Fi pops out*
Fi: I suggest you retrieve the propeller beneath the clouds.
*Fi vanishes*

This is pretty much a summary of Fi's existence in the game. It would be funny if it was intentional humor.. but it's not.

Phenomic

Hylian Shield
being a
boss rush
unlock is my biggest disappointment with this game.

I have a theory for why they treated that particular thing the way they did. Note *This will contain major game spoilers though so read this at your own will*.

Basically as the story stands Hylia... or Zelda wasn't around yet to have a kingdom. So in theory there couldn't be a Hylian shield if her and the current Link haven't yet founded the Kingdom of Hyrule. Essentially, I think the developers just felt obligated to put the item in the game because of fan service, so why not make it an unlock able a minor secret end game event. The shield itself isn't exactly touted as a legendary item in the other games. It's just something Link always buys in the shop because they seem to be mass crafted in honor of the Goddess Hylia in future games further in the timeline.

Also, that being said I didn't like how it was handled either because it was one of those things I never felt compelled to actually need, so I never went and got it.

Top Bottom