• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

jman2050

I know entertainment isn't objective by any means, but there has to be at least SOME standard based on reasoned opinion by which to judge games, or else every single game could be both the best and worst thing ever because it would solely come down to a completely neutral, impartial, subjectivity that doesn't place value on good design decisions over bad ones.

It's not solely about placing value on good design decisions over bad ones, it's establishing a system of knowing for your individual self what particular design decisions are worth complaining about or lauding. Pages of discussion on how non-helpful Fi is or how annoying she is just seems... pointless, completely independent on what the arguments are and whether they have merit.

I love that every time you need to retry a trial/minigame, you need to click through all the same walls of text again. And the fact that even after 50 hours you need to wait through the 'POINT THE WIIMOTE AT THE PLACE YOU WANT TO LAND' screen. It's small but adds yet another completely useless wait to an already prolonged sequence of travelling. There's a billion examples of this. Another is the pumpkin transport minigame, where there's literally like 6 screens of text you need to go through again EVERY TIME you need to retry. In any other game I've played the last 10 years, you're presented with shortened text if you've already read through it. or at least the ability to skip through it quicker. There's many, many egregious examples of this throughout the game at every point, which is why there's no way I'll be replaying this. Stretched my patience the 1st time, the 2nd it will be even more frustrating.

This is definitely my biggest complaint.

And it's funny, too, because I remember this being a problem for me even in OoT, but I'm replaying it on 3DS when I'm not playing SS (or Dota 2), and in that you can press a button to advance immediately. YOU DON'T HAVE TO WAIT.

Fucking geniusssss.

Did they change it for the remake?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This is definitely my biggest complaint.

And it's funny, too, because I remember this being a problem for me even in OoT, but I'm replaying it on 3DS when I'm not playing SS (or Dota 2), and in that you can press a button to advance immediately. YOU DON'T HAVE TO WAIT.

Fucking geniusssss.

Did they change it for the remake?

They significantly sped up the text for OoT3D, if that's what your asking.

God, you seem thick. Do you think I'm pissed I wasted 20 seconds going into the wrong room? I was annoyed at the idiotic logic. My posts all make this obvious. Silly? It was the sensible route of action.

Well I guess you're the only sensible one out of all of us. We must all lack sense to have instinctively picked the correct option.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

This is my biggest complaint. The bamboo cutting minigame is the worst. Having to sit through his dialogue and animations. He's a great character but I hate him now because of this.

The fun fun one isn't as bad though.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I don't understand how the developers themselves didn't get annoyed at their own game when playing (and re-playing) through it and constantly having to sit through the slow text speed.

Not to mention the treasure taking you back into that damn collection screen every freaking time, arrrghh

jman2050

I don't understand how the developers themselves didn't get annoyed at their own game when playing (and re-playing) through it and constantly having to sit through the slow text speed.

Not to mention the treasure taking you back into that damn collection screen every freaking time, arrrghh

Pfft. QA actually plays the game. Developers just use debugging code!

Red

This is the type of question people have been asking since OoT.

Nintendo is really conservative about changing the basics for some reason.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The 10's are baffling as one message of this game seems to be "create few sets of geometry and textures, pad to the fucking extreme". Once or twice, fair enough, but when the same stuff is used up to 4 times (clever final dungeon setup be damned, i just groaned out loud) you can fuck off.

I always thought the somewhat sparse looking environments always looked a bit too videogamey, bordering on the somewhat boring New SMB set, but using them over and over again drove that home even more. The end result is there is no cohesive World feeling from previous Zelda's, but almost instead half expecting a Power Star select screen before diving into each realm for the third or fourth time.

Fi is undoubtedly going to be the 'take away, DO NOT DO AGAIN' lesson proclaimed from this game, but the just shameful constant re-use of assets should also be up there. I've seen games get raked over hot coals for re-using stuff to half of the degree this game does, Okami in particular draws a lot of (well-deserved ire) for re-using the Orochi fight three times, but at least that was fun mechanically rather than Skyward's roll out of the worst boss ever.

I've pointed to Dark Souls in the past as an example of the Zelda overworld formula done well, but slipping Arkham City in again the other night I kinda realised that too achieves better success with the formula in many respects. A proper overworld, better feeling flying, and even two of the games gadgets trump Skyward's similars-- notably the remote batarang's use vs the beetle, and the combo use of grappling hooks and ice floats versus the floats of this game and... actually i dont remember it doing anything of interest with the grapple hook.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
The only explanation is that someone high-up (and potentially less involved in the entire development process) specifically forced it as requirement. I refuse to believe the developers were completely unaware of how annoying, frustrating, and immersion-breaking it is. (the repeated displaying of the collection screen over and over throughout the game being the more baffling sin, with the repeated unskippable text you've already read being the lesser, yet still annoying one)

Divvy

I think the lower text speed is because there are more cutscenes in this game. I think they thought if you could skip the text, it would mess up the timing of the cinematics. Unfortunately I think they were boneheaded enough to apply this to the entire game, instead of just not letting you skip during the cutscenes.

If there was an options menu for this stuff it wouldn't be a problem. I can almost understand the worry that a child playing this game might accidentally skip something if you press A too fast. I dunno. Maybe Nintendo staff watched Baby's Day Out too many times and realized how accidentally crafty kids are these days.

Which is weird, because they did include the pro hud option.

olimpia84

Just finished the second dungeon and I'm loving this game. Fi is definitely getting on my nerves at some points but so far I was able to remain calm and patient.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So i learned with the
5th dungeon boss
that you could send skyward strikes in an angle.

I must have wasted like 5 minutes doing the regular skyward strike on
its tentacles that doesnt cut them at all
thinking what the fuck was taking him so long to show its face.

Odd thing about post-6th temple:
When Zelda was telling Link about being Hylia, his eyes got really big! Like that ocular monster he just killed, lol

So i learned with the
5th dungeon boss
that you could send skyward strikes in an angle.

I must have wasted like 5 minutes doing the regular skyward strike on
its tentacles that doesnt cut them at all
thinking what the fuck was taking him so long to show its face.

I did the same thing.

PKrockin

I'm just before the entrance of the third dungeon now, and wow this is a pretty wonderful game. Between this and Mario 3D Land I'm so spoiled right now. Just one problem.

Why does the text

scroll...

so...

slow?!

Everything Fi says scrolls extra slowly too, and you have to listen to the same things over and over again from shopkeepers or Fi's summaries and analyses every time you do something. Oh, and the collection screen and rupee explanations popping up all the time... I wanted to leave the game on so it wouldn't do that next time I played. Thought they would have learned their lesson after everyone complained about that in TP. I guess I should have seen this coming when they claimed 50 hours of gameplay, but it's going to be a pain when I replay this sucker.

Besides that, I'm having a great time. The controls work well, the puzzles are good, and the bosses are very unique and interesting.

Come to think of it, what are the odds someone makes a hack/GeckoOS code/whatever to speed up the text at some point?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
If there was an options menu for this stuff it wouldn't be a problem. I can almost understand the worry that a child playing this game might accidentally skip something if you press A too fast. I dunno. Maybe Nintendo staff watched Baby's Day Out too many times and realized how accidentally crafty kids are these days.

The Pro option should have included this sort of change. It's inexcusable it didn't.

wrowa

Aesthetically, as gorgeous as the game is, I'm pretty disappointed they chose to include both
a volcanic and desert area. They're different enough, but they're both essential arid, dry flora free locations that share a similarly drab atmosphere. I would have liked if maybe the desert and volcanic areas were connected, and the third lump of underworld be dedicated to snow and mountains maybe. Something to offer a more striking visual and atmospheric difference to the current trio.

I can't agree with you, simply because the
desert
(I feel kinda silly for spoilering that...) is the most amazing region in any 3D Zelda game ever. It's so damn fucking awesome and the pinnacle of creativity in this game.

Okay, Eldin on the other hand is boring as hell and I won't understand for the life of me why they decided (pre-dungeon 6 spoiler)
to put another fire area inside of it. Yeah, okay, it's a vulcano, got it, but how about some nice little twist? Make it a frozen vulcano and it would have been 10 times more awesome

So, in the end, I'm agreeing with you again, I guess. Well.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

if youre going to accommodate on that level then options options options.

the plodding text and unkippability has been the worst thing about zelda games for years

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You guys know holding A make the text scroll faster right? It's not perfect, but its still something.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Okay, Eldin on the other hand is boring as hell and I won't understand for the life of me why they decided (pre-dungeon 6 spoiler)
to put another fire area inside of it. Yeah, okay, it's a vulcano, got it, but how about some nice little twist? Make it a frozen vulcano and it would have been 10 times more awesome
They should absolutely have done it. It would have been completely unexpected, and would have offered the variety this region sorely needed.

I never had any problems with the bow in SS. Point at something, press A.

I discovered something interesting actually - it seems that the game almost makes it seem forced that you MUST use A to use your items. However, I noticed that, at least with the bow, you can hold C to enter first-person viewing, quickly pull back on the nunchuk, and then release C to fire. It ends up being much quicker and a hell of a lot more enjoyable than holding A. Unfortunately, I didn't discover this until the very end of the game. :(

Why have I seen "volcano" misspelled so many times in this thread?

And a snow area would have been nice for variety, but I think it being snowy OUTSIDE the volcano would have made more sense than INSIDE.

If I want to get an Ancient Flower drop, where do I find the quickest kills to get one to drop?

They don't drop from enemies.

They grow in timeshifted areas in Lanayru. One place I know for sure is the Desert Entrance. Hit the Timeshift Stone on the mine cart and some vines will appear on a wall. Climb up and there should be a flower there or around there.

Duderz

Banned
Need some help with a Pumpkin Lodge sidequest.

Can't seem to figure out how to complete the song you play with the owner's daughter. I make it up to the end fine, but they want you to freestyle at the very end, and I just keep the beat going as best I can. Am I doing it wrong? I was fighting with the motion controls at first, but standing up seems to have done the trick up to this point.

EDIT: Well nevermind. I got a "good enough" from the daughter. :/

McNum

They don't drop from enemies.

They grow in timeshifted areas in Lanayru. One place I know for sure is the Desert Entrance. Hit the Timeshift Stone on the mine cart and some vines will appear on a wall. Climb up and there should be a flower there or around there.
Well that explains a lot. I didn't think to stop and smell the flowers when I passed trough there. There were puzzles to be solved, after all, so tunnel vision was a-go!

czk

Typical COD gamer
Found some codes on the net:

No Notification The First Time You Collect A Bug Or Treasure
042541C4 60000000

Disable Fi's Low Health Warning
0416C700 4800003C

Disable Fi's Low Shield Gauge Warning
0416C684 4800003C

Does anybody know how to use them?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Found some codes on the net:

No Notification The First Time You Collect A Bug Or Treasure
042541C4 60000000

Disable Fi's Low Health Warning
0416C700 4800003C

Disable Fi's Low Shield Gauge Warning
0416C684 4800003C

Does anybody know how to use them?
How does this work? :O

See, is this was a game of matching blocks and colors, fine, I'd understand. But the way they baby you and assume you're a moron with the text is inconsistent with what the game expects of you on a gameplay level. It's genuinely challenging, you need good coordination for the motion controls (especially flying/swimming), the puzzles are often times not intuitive to figure out, and you need a lot of patience. So then to go ahead and treat you like a 4 yr old with Fi makes no sense. No Fi, after diving a thousand times, I think I remember I have to point and click at where I want to land, and won't be suddenly dumfounded without you reminding me every single time. Nor will I suddenly forget that low health means low health, without you flashing and beeping like crazy (along with the flashing and beeping of the hearts) to make me think you actually have something to say, only to have to wade through that everytime. Same with the batteries, with the incessant red icon on the screen. I must have activated her 100x already thinking she had something to say, only to be informed about the batteries. If in the HORRIFYING case that the batteries actually DO deplete completely, the game pauses and you can replace them. You won't die or anything. If someone is moronic enough to need to be reminded of this stuff, I doubt they'd make it far in this game anyway. Fuck.

Is anyone else having trouble flying with the bird to the point where it's a problem? I have a friend that is so infuriated by the flying controls that he's not calling it his GOTY because of it, but I have had absolutely zero issues with the flying. I've had issues in other areas, minor ones so far, but with the flying? I don't get it. It's like the easiest shit to do.

That is what I'm asking. Hrm. It seems weird that they would speed it up for OoT3D and then go back to shit for SS. I guess that's what happens when two different teams work on the same franchise.

Text doesn't seem to be too slow in my opinion.

And it is faster than if someone was saying it...
I don't know about you, but I can read approximately 53 times faster than the text appears on the screen.

I timed it.

totowhoa

Banned
Is anyone else having trouble flying with the bird to the point where it's a problem? I have a friend that is so infuriated by the flying controls that he's not calling it his GOTY because of it, but I have had absolutely zero issues with the flying. I've had issues in other areas, minor ones so far, but with the flying? I don't get it. It's like the easiest shit to do.

I really struggled with it initially. It's not a big deal for me now, but I still think gyro controls are a stupid choice for flying/swimming.

Also just finished the 4th dungeon. Decent dungeon, awesome boss. I haven't done hardly any side quests, but I guess I'll start looking around for those during this next break in the quest.

Question: Is there much to do at Skyloft at night? Some guy in the bazaar said there was, but I ran around part of it, entered about six different homes and found zilch. Also, Beedle's island mentions going there at night. Is this possible at some point? I can't leave Skyloft at night either... or am I just missing something I need to discover?

Divvy

I find that the navigating controls in this game (like the bird, beetle, swimming) work better when the remote is pointed at the sensor bar. When I hold it below my desk, the beetle does that screwy "can't go in a straight line" thing. But when I raise it over the desk so it can see the sensor bar, it fixes the problem. Maybe that's it with him?

Top Bottom