• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Well.... damn. pre-fourth dungeon question.

Didn't expect the Skyview Temple being full of new baddies again! But now I need a key and the Mogma dropped it it... but I can't find it. If someone could help... I'm missing something really simple right? :p

You can swim underwater now, and it's extremely close to where he popped out.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Well wether you like it or not, Nintendo seems pretty steadfast to give the Zelda games a more cinematic feel. I would even argue that from Lttp to SS it has been one steady line of increasing focus on the story segments of the main Zeldas.
yeah it has been a steady increase, which i think is bad. Its been this way with all of their games. I hated the story elements in Mario Galaxy too. With these nintendo games, they just need to say, "hey the princess has been kidnapped go find her".

dwu8991

Banned
played about 2hrs tonight, good game so far but holy shit the amount of cut scenes, talking etc.. is annoying. Just let me play the game! I would be fine with the talking if it wasn't obvious shit like, "we have arrived at the forest". "You need to search for Zelda". No shit lady! Its like they have brought back the fairy from Ocarina. "Link! Listen!" Or if the story wasn't predictable. Took forever for Zelda to get kidnapped etc.. No one plays the games for the story Nintendo, just let me solve puzzles and swing my sword (which is awesome btw). I'd be happy if future zelda games are just dungeons.

Nintendo + Zelda = RPG
What bit don't you understand?

Mistle

yeah it has been a steady increase, which i think is bad. Its been this way with all of their games. I hated the story elements in Mario Galaxy too. With these nintendo games, they just need to say, "hey the princess has been kidnapped go find her".
I agree 100% for Mario or Donkey Kong or whatever, but I love cinematics in Zelda. It's pretty much the only chance Nintendo get to really give it a shot, and it works for me (most of the time >_>) :D

I would say that the Mario games have used less and less story focus since Sunshine, or at least streamlined it better so it wouldn't distract from the gameplay.

cajunator

Banned
Personally, I really like it when you have to find something like 5 parts of a key or whatever to advance, especially if the area they are hidden in is interesting and full of fun gameplay like in Zelda SS. It is more fun than just finding the whole key and advancing, at least to me.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I disagree with you.

This kind of attitude is fine with Mario games since his universe is whimsical and playful, but Zelda? No.

I am glad that Nintendo opted to put more effort for story/characters in Skyward Sword. I hope they will put even greater focus for those two aspects in future mainline Zelda games.

Amalthea

Banned
Personally, I really like it when you have to find something like 5 parts of a key or whatever to advance, especially if the area they are hidden in is interesting and full of fun gameplay like in Zelda SS. It is more fun than just finding the whole key and advancing, at least to me.

Yeah, they clearly tried to avoid the "rushing from dungeon to dungeon"-syndrome that was often criticized in the latest games.

Mistle

I am glad that Nintendo opted to put more effort for story/characters in Skyward Sword. I hope they will put even greater focus for those two aspects in future mainline Zelda games.
Agreed. Though I'm happy if it stays at SS level, I wouldn't argue with an even heavier focus.

Agreed also. Lets me explore the area and really think about how and when to use items. I don't see them as "filler" in the slightest.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
((Re: Pre fourth dungeon spoilers))

Wait, is it different for each playthrough? Because I found it
in the eastern most chamber (or the room opposite of where the mogma informs you of the situation)
*twitches*
Mine was
in the little passage above the side-chamber where you hit the switch to raise the water level. That tiny room you have to crawl into, it was in the exit passage above. Finding that key drove me nuts

Papercuts

((Re: Pre fourth dungeon spoilers))

Wait, is it different for each playthrough? Because I found it
in the eastern most chamber (or the room opposite of where the mogma informs you of the situation)

Oh, he DID inform me in the eastern room. I had to swim under where a crawl hole was, the water level was up to a vine patch I climbed up, leading to the patch with the key.

cajunator

Banned
I don't honestly remember where I found it, but I do remember finding it rather easily. It wasn't difficult at all. Maybe it was harder to find for some people and that's why they found it annoying?

Papercuts

I literally ran into the correct room and found it immediately, so I was okay with it. The part pre-6 is just bad/dumb. I was also fine with collecting the key pieces pre-2, because you didn't really retread; it was still ongoing into areas you haven't seen yet.

Actually dowsing can tell you if there's any left, because its range is not limited to a sub-area of the area (Volcano, Forest and Desert)but the whole area. Use dowsing once, covering the whole area, and after that point toward the entry/exit to the other sub-areas, if there's nothing, you got them all.

So there's no other way to tell? That's very unfortunate. I wish there was an equivalent of TP's fortune teller here to give me a hint towards cubes I haven't yet gotten, in addition to dowsing.

Celine

I'm at the beginning of the third area.

Impression so far:
- controls work really great... with the exception of the stab.
I seem unable to do it consistently enough and fast enough to dispose the hanging spiders in the first dungeon with ease.
- Enjoy flying, way better than WW ship ( travels are quicker and you can freely move ).
- Areas before the dungeon reminds me of N64 platform games in that they are not dispersive and require you to tackle a puzzle/sequence to progress.
- First two dungeon were quite linear but I was stuck at first in the first temple because I didn't know how to tackle an enemy. I've been rarely stuck in TP and WW because after OoT and MM I already know the logic behind the design.
So it's nice in this new Zelda to be introduced to new mechanics ( mainly through the motion controls ).
- The combat system is now more strategic compared to the piss easy WW/TP, more akin to Adventure of Link.
-I like the adventure feel of this game, overall it give me the impression to be a Win Waker Zelda done right.
- I'm liking the new races introduced so far, especially the first one lol.
- Money/resource/equipment system seems to have finally been corrected, that was an huge flaw (i.e. Rupies were soon irrelevant ) in past games.
- Really like the first item you get in the opening dungeon.
- Music left me mostly unimpressed so far ...
- Like the integration between the dungeon,area outside them and the upper world. Seems more thightly put together ( from a design and story/character way ) while in the past games the distinction between them were more marked.
- Fy is no Midna sadly.

Overall this could become my favorite 3D Zelda.

cajunator

Banned
I'm at the beginning of the third area.

Impression so far:
- controls work really great... with the exception of the stab.
I seem unable to do it consistently enough and fast enough to dispose the hanging spiders in the first dungeon with ease.
- Enjoy flying, way better than WW ship ( travels are quicker and you can freely move ).
- Areas before the dungeon reminds me of N64 platform games in that they are not dispersive and require you to tackle a puzzle/sequence to progress.
- First two dungeon were quite linear but I was stuck at first in the first temple because I didn't know how to tackle an enemy. I've been rarely stuck in TP and WW because after OoT and MM I already know the logic behind the design.
So it's nice in this new Zelda to be introduced to new mechanics ( mainly through the motion controls ).
- The combat system is now more strategic compared to the piss easy WW/TP, more akin to Adventure of Link.
-I like the adventure feel of this game, overall it give me the impression to be a Win Waker Zelda done right.
- I'm liking the new races introduced so far, especially the first one lol.
- Money/resource/equipment system seems to have finally been corrected, that was an huge flaw (i.e. Rupies were soon irrelevant ) in past games.
- Really like the first item you get in the opening dungeon.
- Music left me mostly unimpressed so far ...
- Like the integration between the dungeon,area outside them and the upper world. Seems more thightly put together ( from a design and story/character way ) while in the past games the distinction between them were more marked.
- Fy is no Midna sadly.

Overall this could become my favorite 3D Zelda.

Oh man, you are starting the best parts. From here to the 5th dungeon is some really awesome stuff.

ooh that reminds me! less than a month till christmas!

xss.png

Finished. The ending was perfect. Final boss was great.

The game could've been a lot better overall, though, and in the most obvious ways. Why wasn't Miyamoto around to slap the idiot who suggested that tadpole collectathon?

Sirius

I have to say, the character building in this game is some of the best I've ever experienced. The natural settings, NPC interaction, the rivalry, age-old friendship and subtle romance with Zelda are pretty much a perfect pre-cursor to her 'kidnapping'. The designers really let you take nothing for granted, i.e. not being able to immediately summon and ride your Loftwing.

The highlight so far however is the music, you have no idea how long I've been waiting for an orchestrated in-game score. Never imagined it would be so good.

Mistle

I have to say, the character building in this game is some of the best I've ever experienced. The natural settings, NPC interaction, the rivalry, age-old friendship and subtle romance with Zelda are pretty much a perfect pre-cursor to her 'kidnapping'. The designers really let you take nothing for granted, i.e. not being able to immediately summon and ride your Loftwing.

The highlight so far however is the music, you have no idea how long I've been waiting for an orchestrated in-game score. Never imagined it would be so good.
Seriously.. The music has knocked my socks off so far. I agree with all your other points also.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I don't really see what people are taking away from the story to hold it in such high regard. Countless jRPG's and more have done the exact same setup to the similar level of quality, but because its Link and Zelda a lot more praise seems to be getting heaped on.

Its not like Skyloft enters the realm of impeccable videogame locations anywhere near stuff like Shenmue, Red Dead, Skyrim and even its own series games finest NPC villages.

Sinthetic

stuff, amazing.

I laughed so hard at Groose falling out of the sky with Link and the talk that ensued.

I also thought The Imprisoned was amazing, the creature is very well done, like a cross between SotC and some Ghibli.

It feels epic right now and I'm really excited to
revisit some areas and purify my sword, hahaha.

The game definitely grows grander the further you get.

GROOOOSELAND *music goes all funny*

AniHawk

I don't really see what people are taking away from the story to hold it in such high regard. Countless jRPG's and more have done the exact same setup to the similar level of quality, but because its Link and Zelda a lot more praise seems to be getting heaped on.

Its not like Skyloft enters the realm of impeccable videogame locations anywhere near stuff like Shenmue, Red Dead, Skyrim and even its own series games finest NPC villages.

nothing about shenmue was impeccable.

cajunator

Banned

Yeah, but those other games can't even sniff the quality of the dungeon designs or even the areas surrounding them. The puzzles and level design are so far above other games. An open world is fine, but there is something special about how Zelda games treat the overworld like a dungeon itself, with mazes, traps, devices, and obstacles that you must overcome with your wits and the tools the game gives you. In that respect I have never seen games come even close to this series in its finest moments. The only games that come close are Metroid games, mostly the Prime series.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So I assume *DO NOT HIGHLIGHT UNLESS FINISHED*
getting the last triforce piece triggers the end game?

duckroll

One thing I was really surprised by in the ending credits is that a TON of Monolithsoft staff were credited in various fields of the game. It seems the developer provided significant support on the game for everything from game planning, modeling, animation, etc. I wonder if Monolithsoft is going to develop the next Zelda game or a spin-off of sorts, since they actually started up a new Kyoto studio to be "closer to Nintendo"...

kiryogi

Banned
One thing I was really surprised by in the ending credits is that a TON of Monolithsoft staff were credited in various fields of the game. It seems the developer provided significant support on the game for everything from game planning, modeling, animation, etc. I wonder if Monolithsoft is going to develop the next Zelda game or a spin-off of sorts, since they actually started up a new Kyoto studio to be "closer to Nintendo"...

You totally missed this discussion earlier in the thread :p

Mistle

I'm about 20 hours in, and back at Skyloft after the 3rd dungeon. Am I going too slowly? I haven't wasted any time, I've always been doing stuff. I do spend a lot of time exploring everywhere and talking to everybody however, so maybe thats padded out my time a little.

I see people finishing the game in 30 hours and honestly, i really doubt I only have 10 left at my pace, lol. I'll probably end up around 40-45.

That's why I wanted to ask Duckroll, people play Zelda games more differently than what you would imagine.

I spent 50 on 100% TP without rushing nor slowing down to a crawl.

And while people agree that the intro section in SS is shorter than in TP, there is still a huge difference between people (anything from 90mins to 5 hours...)

daakusedo

The stab/thrust works around 50% of the time for me, it was particularly annoying against the enemies in
Lanayru Mining.

I'd trouble with it against a boss, because you had a short time to hit him, so I was stabbing like crazy to have at least one hit to work but the better solution is to make a slow move. If I didn't try that, the fight was over.

Sinthetic

I'd trouble with it against a boss, because you had a short time to hit him, so I was stabbing like crazy to have at least one hit to work but the better solution is to make a slow move. If I didn't try that, the fight was over.

Same here mate, for some reason I ended up doing Spin Attack over and over. I definitely wasn't moving the Nunchuk either.

cajunator

Banned
The stab/thrust works around 50% of the time for me, it was particularly annoying against the enemies in
Lanayru Mining.

A bit odd, because while I did have trouble with the stab moves on a certain enemy, the ones in that particular dungeon worked EVERY time. No problems there, which is good because that enemy would wipe the floor with me pretty quickly if I had troubles killing it.

Same here mate, for some reason I ended up doing Spin Attack over and over. I definitely wasn't moving the Nunchuk either.

You probably were and weren't realizing it. I swore that I wasn't either and then I actually looked down at my hands during a fight and realized that I was actually shaking it slightly whenever I did a thrust.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I have trouble raising the shield in battle sometimes. When I test it when walking, it's fine, but when I'm facing certain mini-bosses it occasionally refuses to raise no matter how hard I try. Does the sword position have something to do with it?

duckroll

I have trouble raising the shield in battle sometimes. When I test it when walking, it's fine, but when I'm facing certain mini-bosses it occasionally refuses to raise no matter how hard I try. Does the sword position have something to do with it?

Sometimes it has nothing to do with the actual controls and it's just a matter of being a bit too excited during a boss fight. During more hectic fights, your balance could be off and you could be unintentionally moving the wiimote while trying to bring up the shield at the same time. If you move your sword at all as an attack, the shield won't trigger, if the shield is triggered, even a slight movement of the sword as an attack will disable it as well.

daakusedo

No that's two different things, for a boss where you have to heavily block, I go for viking mode and shook it like there is no tomorrow.

ASIS

The stuff before the 6th dungeon...man. That was downright bad, and didn't make any sense. But the dungeon itself was good, the boss was GREAT, and the part right after has been interesting. Also, the bow aiming feels great here, I love sniping people. Swimming is also a lot better now that I realize the nunchuck is all you have to move to do the dash, I was moving the wiimote along with it which made it unwieldy.

yup. I wouldn't have minded it if they actually gave a reason but it was like WTF?!! That it happened.

cajunator

Banned
I remember getting so excited during the second boss that I accidentally threw my nunchuk at the TV a few times. Luckily it is attached to the wiimote which stayed firmly in hand.

duckroll

I remember getting so excited during the second boss that I accidentally threw my nunchuk at the TV a few times. Luckily it is attached to the wiimote which stayed firmly in hand.

The first time I tried doing a spin attack in the game, I was so excited that I was playing a new Zelda game I gave it my ALL, and I basically pulled the Wiimote and nunchuk apart so fast and hard that the nunchuk cord was pulled out of the Wiimote. Luckily they're Nintendo(TM) products, so there was no lasting damage. Lol.

cajunator

Banned
The first time I tried doing a spin attack in the game, I was so excited that I was playing a new Zelda game I gave it my ALL, and I basically pulled the Wiimote and nunchuk apart so fast and hard that the nunchuk cord was pulled out of the Wiimote. Luckily they're Nintendo(TM) products, so there was no lasting damage. Lol.

Yeah I really overdid that at first.
I really enjoy motion controls so I tend to overdo it in general.
I used to be one of those types who swung around button-only controllers trying to make the character move that little bit more (and knowing full well that it wouldnt).

Top Bottom