• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Sirius

First few hours into the game, just descended down for the first time...

My god.. this game.

The introduction to the story, the characters, Zelda, and the emotions being played around .. absolutely superbly done.

And this soundtrack, it's blowing my mind.

Duki

Banned
i dont get the complaints about padding

to me its all just shit to do

finding keys outside a nominated "dungeon" is no different that running around inside of a dungeon, yet people complain baout one and not the other

makes no sense to me tbh

Red

The song that plays after the first few dungeons (
in the purifying water or whatever it is
) reminds me a lot of a song from Link's Awakening, but I can't remember which one. Maybe just the main theme?

No, listening through songs now. Not the main theme or overworld theme. I think it's the song that plays right at the start, when you first wake up. Or when you're looking for your sword.

Mistle

I'm about 18 hours in a think. The whole lead up to dungeon 3, dungeon 3, and post-dungeon 3 have really kickstarted this game into overdrive. As with every Zelda game I guess, but I was already so immersed with SS that it felt like it had already been kickstarted! lol. Might I add, nothing I have done so far has felt like "padding". Not even close to feeling like padding.

Running around Skyloft and checking out The Lumpy Pumpkin between every dungeon is great. There is always new stuff to do. Sidequests, different NPC dialogue and story-tidbits, new items unlock new areas... Whoever said this game lacked in the sidequest/npc area, especially those who said TP had more, are just wrong. Most sidequests are small, but they all amount to the overall charm and enjoyment for me. Skyloft seems alive and everchanging, it's not just the same hub over and over again.
I also enjoy the harp for what it is. The rhythm stuff works fine for me. Strumming along in key to whatever the background music is is a nice touch, and the sing-along in the Lumpy Pumpkin was fun. I just got it however, so I don't know any songs for it and haven't really used it much lol

Might I add, the urgent music that plays when (post dungeon 3 spoilers)
the seal is broken
is absolutely brilliant.

Poyunch

The rhythm stuff works fine for me. Strumming along in key to whatever the background music is is a nice touch, and the sing-along in the Lumpy Pumpkin was fun. I just got it however, so I don't know any songs for it and haven't really used it much lol

How did you do that? I thought you can't fly at night? Is there a bed at the Pumpkin place?

Alchemy

i dont get the complaints about padding

to me its all just shit to do

finding keys outside a nominated "dungeon" is no different that running around inside of a dungeon, yet people complain baout one and not the other

makes no sense to me tbh

Because the dungeons are condensed paths of puzzles that open progression to the next set of puzzles with well paced combat thrown in the mix. The outside areas are mostly just running around due to forced exploration and dowsing.

watershed

Banned
I have a theory for why they treated that particular thing the way they did. Note *This will contain major game spoilers though so read this at your own will*.

Basically as the story stands Hylia... or Zelda wasn't around yet to have a kingdom. So in theory there couldn't be a Hylian shield if her and the current Link haven't yet founded the Kingdom of Hyrule. Essentially, I think the developers just felt obligated to put the item in the game because of fan service, so why not make it an unlock able a minor secret end game event. The shield itself isn't exactly touted as a legendary item in the other games. It's just something Link always buys in the shop because they seem to be mass crafted in honor of the Goddess Hylia in future games further in the timeline.

Also, that being said I didn't like how it was handled either because it was one of those things I never felt compelled to actually need, so I never went and got it.

I agree with this theory cuz that's what I thought as well. It makes sense being the way it is if you think about it.

Just arrived at the 4th dungeon, and the pre dungeon stuff leading up to it couldn't have been more annoying.
All the backtracking and errand running felt like it was never going to end, every time it looked it was going to progress, you need to grab x item that's in an area you've already been, but you couldn't get the stuff back during your first time there, that would be too easy. The Silent Realm and the Imprisoned were baller, but the rest of the pre dungeon stuff was just...ugh.

Hopefully, the rest of the pre dungeons aren't this bad.

I've completed the main quest, there's just one big thing stopping me from going for total completion: is there any way of knowing for certain when you've collected all the goddess cubes in an area? I don't want to dowse everywhere with no certainty.

Duki

Banned
Because the dungeons are condensed paths of puzzles that open progression to the next set of puzzles with well paced combat thrown in the mix. The outside areas are mostly just running around due to forced exploration and dowsing.

i dunno i disagree

the pre dungeon bits before the eldin temple and the entire desert area before that dungeon were both constructed really well, literally felt like parts of a large dungeon

and lmao, people actually bother dowsing? find shit the old way tbh, its more fun

Red

Dowsing really ends up only making things more cumbersome. The game is designed as a funnel. You're always being pushed toward your destination. There's no reason to ever need an objective waypoint.

Maybe it's useful for collectibles and hearts. Sort of pointless for key items though.

I've completed the main quest, there's just one big thing stopping me from going for total completion: is there any way of knowing for certain when you've collected all the goddess cubes in an area? I don't want to dowse everywhere with no certainty.

Yeah, what I want to know. It's pretty bad there's nothing in game to at least tell you if you've cleared an area.

suaveric

I'm sure I'm not the first to complain about this, but fuck the bug selling in this game. Couldn't they come up with a better way to display what bugs he wants vs what I have. I can't believe they really expect me to remember every bug I have or else I get yelled at by the kid.

zoukka

I'm sure I'm not the first to complain about this, but fuck the bug selling in this game. Couldn't they come up with a better way to display what bugs he wants vs what I have. I can't believe they really expect me to remember every bug I have or else I get yelled at by the kid.

Yeah and it's fast!

EDIT: Also do not sell those bugs like I did!

scitek

Am I alone in my preference of IR aiming controls in TP over the SS Motion+ version?

Nope, I'm right there with you. I'm gonna do a play-through of TP after SS on Dolphin. Funnily enough, though, my PC has trouble running it and SS is practically perfect.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Actually dowsing can tell you if there's any left, because its range is not limited to a sub-area of the area (Volcano, Forest and Desert)but the whole area. Use dowsing once, covering the whole area, and after that point toward the entry/exit to the other sub-areas, if there's nothing, you got them all.

Mistle

I'm about 18 hours in a think. The whole lead up to dungeon 3, dungeon 3, and post-dungeon 3 have really kickstarted this game into overdrive. As with every Zelda game I guess, but I was already so immersed with SS that it felt like it had already been kickstarted! lol. Might I add, nothing I have done so far has felt like "padding". Not even close to feeling like padding.

Running around Skyloft and checking out The Lumpy Pumpkin between every dungeon is great. There is always new stuff to do. Sidequests, different NPC dialogue and story-tidbits, new items unlock new areas... Whoever said this game lacked in the sidequest/npc area, especially those who said TP had more, are just wrong. Most sidequests are small, but they all amount to the overall charm and enjoyment for me. Skyloft seems alive and everchanging, it's not just the same hub over and over again.
I also enjoy the harp for what it is. The rhythm stuff works fine for me. Strumming along in key to whatever the background music is is a nice touch, and the sing-along in the Lumpy Pumpkin was fun. I just got it however, so I don't know any songs for it and haven't really used it much lol

Might I add, the urgent music that plays when (post dungeon 3 spoilers)
the seal is broken
is absolutely brilliant.
How did you do that? I thought you can't fly at night? Is there a bed at the Pumpkin place?
There's a bed in the Lumpy Pumpkin, haha

JoeFu

Banned
I like the M+ aiming, I can sit however I like and use all the items.

Beat the 5th dungeon today and it thought was pretty short, the stuff leading up to the boss fight was pretty awesome though. I really liked the music in the dungeon, probably my favorite so far.

Am I alone in my preference of IR aiming controls in TP over the SS Motion+ version?

I'm starting to feel that way. I love the sword controls, and I like M+ for flying the bird and beetle, but when pointing, IR is the way to go.

Edit: Or they should at least have used them together.

Alchemy

i dunno i disagree

the pre dungeon bits before the eldin temple and the entire desert area before that dungeon were both constructed really well, literally felt like parts of a large dungeon

and lmao, people actually bother dowsing? find shit the old way tbh, its more fun

Dowsing is useful in larger open areas like the desert to get a sense of direction, I missed the very first
power generator
until I popped it up. Usually its pretty pointless.

The area before the temple was great, once you got into the
mini dungeon areas before the last two generators
, but before that navigating the deep sand was rather slow and annoying. Shit just tends to be way more spread out then it needs to be in the pre-dungeon stuff.

And I haven't run into 'collect 5 key fragments' in a dungeon yet. Felt like a poorly made MMO quest.

cajunator

Banned
Guys, I keep reading about "5 years of development time" but is there anything that says that is how long it took? I am pretty sure I remember something, possibly as late as 2008 where Miyamoto was saying "don't make the next Zelda so soon!" to Aonuma. They waited at least a year or so before even the beginning stages of Skyward Sword. Considering that a near final build existed around E3 this year,, development time for this game seems to have been relatively short.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't think the Wii Remote is being imprecise when people get caught by the first boss.

I think what's happening is people move the sword one way, then try and reposition it for the actual strike, when the reposition isn't at all necessary. Even if your sword as on the right, if you flick up, Link will do an upward slash.

which is stupid and you're basically gaming the mechanics. Its supposed to be all 'ooh motion plus, accurate control of your sword'. So naturally you hold your sword to the left, then to try a right/left slash, or up/down slash, you move your 'sword' around to the correct side before initiating the move. Makes no sense logically to move it to one side, then just flick. If the game is doing that, then it partly explains some of my frustrations with even basic enemies - bokoblins and the plants - by the time I readjust my aim based on their blocking, they change theirs. With bokoblins I end up just either flailing or waiting for them to attack which takes ages.

The plants are just annoying. Is there a trick to them? Even if I wait with my sword held up, waiting for their mouth to be vertical, as soon as I slash they close it - like a fraction of a second.

I'll try your method and fingers crossed.

Mistle

Guys, I keep reading about "5 years of development time" but is there anything that says that is how long it took? I am pretty sure I remember something, possibly as late as 1998 where Miyamoto was saying "don't make the next Zelda so soon!" to Aonuma. They waited at least a year or so before even the beginning stages of Skyward Sword. Considering that a near final build existed around E3 this year,, development time for this game seems to have been relatively short.
I forget where, but I think Miyamoto recently said development time was more closer to 3 years, with initial planning and final polish filling up a lot of extra time.

mrklaw said:
The plants are just annoying. Is there a trick to them? Even if I wait with my sword held up, waiting for their mouth to be vertical, as soon as I slash they close it - like a fraction of a second.
Alberto's method does work, but I feel it's kiiiiiind of cheating the system. Everything is possible without doing that.
With the Deku Babas, if you can't get a strike in quick enough, you can also defeat them by standing back a bit. They leave their mouth open longer. So you stand back, wait until the mouth opens, then move forward and strike.
Of course, you could also parry. Parrying pretty much works on everything in this game that attacks you. Bokoblins are a tad tricky to get your move in, but as soon as you hit once you can just keep slashing until they die. And I'm not sure how true this is as it hasn't really worked for me, but I heard when you have your shield up they don't predict your swipe as well as normal, so you can hit them easier.

Stylo

I just beat Koloktos. My god that was an awesome boss fight. Though I have a few complaints about this game, all of the good things are so good I can't help but feel amazed.

bsb

Neo Member
which is stupid and you're basically gaming the mechanics. Its supposed to be all 'ooh motion plus, accurate control of your sword'. So naturally you hold your sword to the left, then to try a right/left slash, or up/down slash, you move your 'sword' around to the correct side before initiating the move. Makes no sense logically to move it to one side, then just flick. If the game is doing that, then it partly explains some of my frustrations with even basic enemies - bokoblins and the plants - by the time I readjust my aim based on their blocking, they change theirs. With bokoblins I end up just either flailing or waiting for them to attack which takes ages.

I'll try your method and fingers crossed.

You can also kill the plants by cutting their stem with the beetle. I think you can also stun both the plants and bokoblins with the slingshot and then quickly dispatch them with the sword without regard for the direction you're swinging.

fernoca

You can also kill the plants by cutting their stem with the beetle. I think you can also stun both the plants and bokoblins with the slingshot and then quickly dispatch them with the sword without regard for the direction you're swinging.
Yep.
This and bombs are the great against Deku Babas.

Bombs are also amazing for the Chu-Chus. Instead of cutting and cutting them; just throw a bomb..it gets inside of them and "boom". :p

EDIT:
I swear I posted something about the IR/motion a few moments ago ..and now don't see it. Now don't know if I posted it in another thread. XD

Seik

Banned
I Just finished the sixth temple.

After gaining the master sword, hearing that whole story from Zelda and hearing names like Demise, its like playing a new era of Zelda.
That story is EPIC.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Groose is one of the best characters introduced in a Zelda game in years. He's one of my favourite characters in this game. :D

Also, I kind of like Fi. Outside of telling me when I need hearts/new batteries or stating the obvious, I don't really have much of a problem with her. I can see why people might dislike her, but I don't mind her as a sidekick. Best sidekicks in the series are still Tatl and Midna, though.

I caught a ton of tumbleweeds. It's really easy after learning their paths in the desert.

Onto the fifth dungeon... which will have to wait until Thursday. :/

Guys, I keep reading about "5 years of development time" but is there anything that says that is how long it took? I am pretty sure I remember something, possibly as late as 1998 where Miyamoto was saying "don't make the next Zelda so soon!" to Aonuma. They waited at least a year or so before even the beginning stages of Skyward Sword. Considering that a near final build existed around E3 this year,, development time for this game seems to have been relatively short.
There have been several interviews with Aonuma and Miyamoto: Basically, the game's development took three years, with two years of technology experimentation before that.

Duki

Banned
And I haven't run into 'collect 5 key fragments' in a dungeon yet. Felt like a poorly made MMO quest.

well i mean, the collect five pieces is just a whatever

an excuse to be doing some cool shit

youre not doing it because you actually want to collect five pieces, theyre just an excuse to have you do video gamey things

kind of like stars in the mario games, theyre just there to signify the end of a level really, youre playing it to see whats on the journey to them, rather than just for the destination

this isnt the only game where ive not understood the complaint, it happens with heaps of them. wind waker, dead space, bioshock, metroid, everyone bitches about the fetch quests you have to do but to me its like, who gives a shit theyre just a nominal excuse to have some gameplay go on

its not like an mmo where you are literally walking to a place in a straight line navigating no terrain, picking up some crap off the ground, and then walking back. theyre just macguffins to get the ball rolling with the gameplay. what you have to do to get the key here is no less fun than what you do inside dungeons for me

IrishNinja

hey so, after you beat the first temple & go back to skyloft to place the tablet, that lady says her kid's missing...where is she? im wandering around at night, and nothin'.

Lingitiz

well i mean, the collect five pieces is just a whatever

an excuse to be doing some cool shit

youre not doing it because you actually want to collect five pieces, theyre just an excuse to have you do video gamey things

kind of like stars in the mario games, theyre just there to signify the end of a level really, youre playing it to see whats on the journey to them, rather than just for the destination

this isnt the only game where ive not understood the complaint, it happens with heaps of them. wind waker, dead space, bioshock, metroid, everyone bitches about the fetch quests you have to do but to me its like, who gives a shit theyre just a nominal excuse to have some gameplay go on

its not like an mmo where you are literally walking to a place in a straight line navigating no terrain, picking up some crap off the ground, and then walking back. theyre just macguffins to get the ball rolling with the gameplay. what you have to do to get the key here is no less fun than what you do inside dungeons for me

I agree, I didn't really have much issue with any of the fetch quests. In fact the only true annoyance I had was the escort mission.

hey so, after you beat the first temple & go back to skyloft to place the tablet, that lady says her kid's missing...where is she? im wandering around at night, and nothin'.

Keep asking around for clues in Skyloft. Hint
You can just go to the pumpkin soup place and talk to the old dude. He'll give you the info to find her.

Celine

It's a quest ( that I suggest to do ).
Talk to people ( especially those with a bubble speech over them ) that you find in the town.

They started pre-development in 2006 after TP release. Actual development started around 2008. But that is usually how they have been developing games recently (at least main Zeldas).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The stuff before the 6th dungeon...man. That was downright bad, and didn't make any sense. But the dungeon itself was good, the boss was GREAT, and the part right after has been interesting. Also, the bow aiming feels great here, I love sniping people. Swimming is also a lot better now that I realize the nunchuck is all you have to move to do the dash, I was moving the wiimote along with it which made it unwieldy.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
played about 2hrs tonight, good game so far but holy shit the amount of cut scenes, talking etc.. is annoying. Just let me play the game! I would be fine with the talking if it wasn't obvious shit like, "we have arrived at the forest". "You need to search for Zelda". No shit lady! Its like they have brought back the fairy from Ocarina. "Link! Listen!" Or if the story wasn't predictable. Took forever for Zelda to get kidnapped etc.. No one plays the games for the story Nintendo, just let me solve puzzles and swing my sword (which is awesome btw). I'd be happy if future zelda games are just dungeons.

No one plays the games for the story Nintendo, just let me solve puzzles and swing my sword (which is awesome btw). I'd be happy if future zelda games are just dungeons.
Well wether you like it or not, Nintendo seems pretty steadfast to give the Zelda games a more cinematic feel. I would even argue that from Lttp to SS it has been one steady line of increasing focus on the story segments of the main Zeldas.

Sadist

Well.... damn. pre-fourth dungeon question.

Didn't expect the Skyview Temple being full of new baddies again! But now I need a key and the Mogma dropped it it... but I can't find it. If someone could help... I'm missing something really simple right? :p

zoukka

Well.... damn. pre-fourth dungeon question.

Didn't expect the Skyview Temple being full of new baddies again! But now I need a key and the Mogma dropped it it... but I can't find it. If someone could help... I'm missing something really simple right? :p

Digging hole in the room with the hydra monster

Top Bottom