• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
[endgame spoilers]

so how about that goddamn endgame. seriously, fucking fantastic dungeon and boss fights. i loved loved LOVED the fight against demise, with the master sword being imbued with lightning each time link was about to downward stab him moments before he rolled out of the way. it was great that it got closer, closer, and finally dead like tp ganondorf.

End game

I also thought the Ghirahim is a Fi-like weapon reveal was great. Well, it was great for the fight and as a concept, but it did make me realise what a non character Fi actually was, which is a shame. But yeah, the way they justified Ghirahim wanting his master back was really unexpected. I was expecting a somewhat disappointing Zant 2. When you look back on the game and notice Fi calling you "master", and realise that that's what Ghirahim calls his bearer as well, it's... just, well, cool. But again, if only they'd given Fi a fraction of the personality of either Ghirahim or -- hell -- Midna or Tatl. It would have made the end game that much stronger.

The actual Ghirahim fight was pretty great as well. I loved breaking the sword and all that.

The Hermit

[endgame spoilers]

so how about that goddamn endgame. seriously, fucking fantastic dungeon and boss fights. i loved loved LOVED the fight against demise, with the master sword being imbued with lightning each time link was about to downward stab him moments before he rolled out of the way. it was great that it got closer, closer, and finally dead like tp ganondorf.

I agree with everything you posted before, but comparing it to Other M is a bit unfair. Still the exploration was downgraded if you compare to OoT or WW ( I expected the sky to be more like the ocean, but it was so empty... ).

continuing endgame spoilers
Also what about the endless horde of enemies... I loved that part, and did no expected at all. The last dungeon is probably one of my fav. in all Zelda games.

End game

I also thought the Ghirahim is a Fi-like weapon reveal was great. Well, it was great for the fight and as a concept, but it did make me realise what a non character Fi actually was, which is a shame. But yeah, the way they justified Ghirahim wanting his master back was really unexpected. I was expecting a somewhat disappointing Zant 2. When you look back on the game and notice Fi calling you "master", and realise that that's what Ghirahim calls his bearer as well, it's... just, well, cool. But again, if only they'd given Fi a fraction of the personality of either Ghirahim or -- hell -- Midna or Tatl. It would have made the end game that much stronger.

The actual Ghirahim fight was pretty great as well. I loved breaking the sword and all that.

With Demise confirming that him, Link and Zelda would constantly reincarnate I was wondering if they would also explain Ghirahim, Fi and Impa also reincarnate since those 3 also perform similar functions to other characters. For example Ghirahim's personality, character design and role in the game are very similar to Vaati, Zant, Agahnim and Chancellor Cole. Fi being very similar to Navi, Taetl, Midna, etc. Impa being very similar to well Impa. Although I guess they didn't need to explain that Demise's servant, Hero's assistant, and Goddess' protector will reincarnate since many characters appear to reincarnate such as Beetle or Zelda's father.

FreeMufasa

End game theory relating to Twilight Princess

We know that Link, Zelda and Groose stay in the land below and form Hyrule. For those that remained in Skyloft, does anyone else think they eventually evolved into Occoos?

We know that Link, Zelda and Groose stay in the land below and form Hyrule. For those that remained in Skyloft, does anyone else think they eventually evolved into Occoos?

No I don't think so.
I think most Skyloft people will move down below as well. You really can't expect Link, Zelda and Groose to populate all of Hyrule. On top of that the whole "oocoo are closest related to the gods" thing was completely made up by NoA translation.

Desiato

I really hope all the people came down to earth, and it was just the loftwings that evolved into the Ooccoo. The thought of people turning into those things kinda grosses me out/

Tuck

Ever since I learned you can flap your wings to go higher, flying has been a blast. I wish that the over world had more stuff (Mini dungeons would be nice), but even going to collect the treasure chests was fun.

Nearing the end of the game.
Beat Levias. They don't call him the wind fish, though he certainly looks like it. Did the Eldin part of the Song of Heros quest, which was surprisingly very fun. It was a retread over the entire Eldin area, again, but in a unique way. They sure do like their stealth segments, huh? At Faron now. Hope to beat the game by tomorrow.

I really hope all the people came down to earth, and it was just the loftwings that evolved into the Ooccoo. The thought of people turning into those things kinda grosses me out/

Obviously, Cawlin and Strich resort to bestiality with the Loftwings. Especially Strich.

The Hermit

No I don't think so.
I think most Skyloft people will move down below as well. You really can't expect Link, Zelda and Groose to populate all of Hyrule. On top of that the whole "oocoo are closest related to the gods" thing was completely made up by NoA translation.

I hope they retcon in an eventual *gasp* remake so that freaky shit never exists

Tadale

Still working my way through the game even though I got it at a midnight release, thanks to a long holiday vacation.

I've really turned my opinion around after the fifth dungeon area. I thought heading to the fourth dungeon was a slog, and I was really disappointed with the repetition I went through in that section. But the part leading up to the fifth dungeon, and the dungeon itself was incredibly fun new experience – I didn't even realize I had entered the fifth dungeon until maybe five minutes in, and I love it when that happens.

I'd put the fifth dungeon up there with the snowman's house in Twilight Princess and the stone tower in Majora's Mask.

Question on Fun Fun Island

Do I need to use that horny robot to grab his wheel that fell down?

Don't need any explanation just a yes/no if possible.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I don't even see the issues with the
tadtones
. It's not as if they're scattered throughout multiple areas, requiring hours of playtime to find. They even handicapped it by letting you spin anywhere close to them and sucking them in. In fact, I think it's a bit of intentional humor that
the dragon would say WOW YOU LOOK LIKE THE HERO.. but.. wait. LET'S DO THIS

tadtones
. It's not as if they're scattered throughout multiple areas, requiring hours of playtime to find. They even handicapped it by letting you spin anywhere close to them and sucking them in. In fact, I think it's a bit of intentional humor that

I agree.

Overall it was a refreshing take on the collectathon.

Uchip

Banned
tadtones

the other 2 areas were good, this one.... not so much. It felt more like something from mario/banjo kazooie and was kind of boring and didnt find it funny that the water dragon sent me on a fetch quest (ive had enough of those)
water dragon for worst zelda character of all time

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Peatrice kinda looks like Ooccoo.

Can someone please explain the |OT| title to me?

Is the punkin chunkin thing a reference to Modern Family? What does that have to do with this game?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Can someone please explain the |OT| title to me?

Is the punkin chunkin thing a reference to Modern Family? What does that have to do with this game?

I always figured it was a reference to the many pumpkin patches found in Skyloft, and your ability to pick them up and chuck them.

ohhhh my fuuuuuckin god

EPIC music spoiler:

there's a gamerip of the soundtrack making its rounds... anyway I found a tagged one this morning and am listening to it, and... one of the tracks near the end has that four-note decrescendo from the Zelda II title screen, like the very first music you hear when you boot it up

I just came bucketloads.

Does no one actually know where Punkin' Chunkin' started? 'Cause it's a pretty big event in Delaware....not like we have many...

yeah, in DELAWARE. I keep forgetting it even exists until I look at a map... and even then it's so tiny and insignificant. then again I live in KY so maybe I shouldn't be talking shit about Delaware.

BY2K

Membero Americo
ohhhh my fuuuuuckin god

EPIC music spoiler:

there's a gamerip of the soundtrack making its rounds... anyway I found a tagged one this morning and am listening to it, and... one of the tracks near the end has that four-note decrescendo from the Zelda II title screen, like the very first music you hear when you boot it up

I just came bucketloads.

Link to that music, please.

Just finished 3rd dungeon, boss was a little
meh. I mean, all u need to do is hit the "obvious" weak points. The boss was like a sand dwelling Gohma(Great Deku Tree) from OOT
. Loved the dungeon design though, enemies, and puzzles are the best yet. I think
for the Mines you pass the size of the Earth Temple about halfway through. The sub-boss/enemies in this one was really rich and especially cool like the Hydras. I'm happy that they gave you more than just one to kill. Wasnt enough of that in previous Zeldas when it came to specific enemies.
Music is for crazy ppl, but it's the 2nd best yet(after
Ballad of the Goddess
). Just physically reeling from the 1st dungeon boss at this point. Not looking forward to the future LOL

Levyne

Banned
Just going into the
first dungeon again to collect sacred water stuffs
and I have to say the "fetch quests" or "padding" that so many people complain about has never bothered me in any game. Hell DK64 is one of my all time favorites! Now I get to
romp around in the temple again!

Sounds like a good thread topic, I like fetch quests!? Help me!

This is NOT a spoiler in any way even though it is related to the last boss fight. A few people have commented on the annoyance of having to go out of the way to heal yourself every time you lose and start over. Here's a good trick: heal up, get all the potions and upgrades you want. Then save at the statue right before the boss. When you lose, and it asks you if you want to continue adventuring, select NO and quit the game. You will be taken to the file select screen where you can very quickly load your last save file, totally healed and right at the boss.

Guevara

I stupidly went into the 4th dungeon -
Ancient Cistern
boss fight with 8/10 hearts and no health items. I was expecting to capture a few fairies by the boss door, as was always the case in OoT and other games. It was intense and but I was victorious.

I loved
picking up the boss' sword and using it against him. Did you know you could use the boss sword to break a column for hearts? I found out with 3 hearts to spare.

Good dungeon, great boss.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Shad
implied that the Ooca created the Hylians, and that they are closest race to the gods (though that last part was said to be a mistranslation iirc).

"They" could be Link and Zelda at the end of the game, long before they (sky people) evolved into the ugly bird creatures.

Also, remember that the dominion rod was created so that the sky people (perhaps they weren't Ooca yet) could communicate with the Royal Family. IE the people of Skyloft contacting the Royal Family...

If the Ooca weren't so absurd and ugly, this would have all fell into place nicely. Perhaps they were pets or the Loftwings evolved.
This is all speculation on my part. Just interesting to think about.

Maybe..
the people of Skyloft grew a bit of a Loftwings fetish and thus Ooca's were born. *shudder*

just finished dungeon 5 (dont read if you havent finished it either)

possibly my first letdown on this game so far :/ i LOOOOOOOOOVED the pre-dungeon area but the actual dungeon itself was incredibly short and easy. overall, it just felt too fast paced and i thought they could have utilized the clawshot more, which they didnt even once this dungeon. im also not a big fan of pirate ships so that also didnt help.

my biggest disappointment was that i wanted to see a new temple with new aesthetics and enemies and types of puzzles. this one seemed to re use the same enemies from dungeon 3 with a similar setting. dungeon 4 was completely different from 1, despite being in the same region and i was hoping for something like that for dungeon 5. the boss was also ridiculously easy too.

i guess i had more expectations for the dungeon considering how fucking awesome the pre dungeon area was. time shifting ocean, clawshotting, that incredible roller coaster ride...seriously, that had my palms sweaty and had me at the edge of my seat. incredible. then the pirate ship letdown came...ugh

moving on to the next, but i think ill take some time to explore and do more sidequests first. wash this disappointment down so to speak

Top Bottom