• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

DarkKyo

How important is collecting gratitude crystals? It's such a drag having to leave the main quest to do little chores around skyloft. Is there some uber reward if you collect them all? I wanna know if it is worth it.

Oh, just fyi almost to 5th dungeon.

How important is collecting gratitude crystals? It's such a drag having to leave the main quest to do little chores around skyloft. Is there some uber reward if you collect them all? I wanna know if it is worth it.

Oh, just fyi almost to 5th dungeon.

Helping Batreaux is its own reward. What he gives you for 80 crystals is terrible. You won't miss it.

Red

just finished dungeon 5 (dont read if you havent finished it either)

possibly my first letdown on this game so far :/ i LOOOOOOOOOVED the pre-dungeon area but the actual dungeon itself was incredibly short and easy. overall, it just felt too fast paced and i thought they could have utilized the clawshot more, which they didnt even once this dungeon. im also not a big fan of pirate ships so that also didnt help.

my biggest disappointment was that i wanted to see a new temple with new aesthetics and enemies and types of puzzles. this one seemed to re use the same enemies from dungeon 3 with a similar setting. dungeon 4 was completely different from 1, despite being in the same region and i was hoping for something like that for dungeon 5. the boss was also ridiculously easy too.

i guess i had more expectations for the dungeon considering how fucking awesome the pre dungeon area was. time shifting ocean, clawshotting, that incredible roller coaster ride...seriously, that had my palms sweaty and had me at the edge of my seat. incredible. then the pirate ship letdown came...ugh

moving on to the next, but i think ill take some time to explore and do more sidequests first. wash this disappointment down so to speak
I think of all the "predungeons" as part of the dungeons themselves.

Am I the only one who thought collecting trinkets to upgrade items was a less fun way of obtaining upgrades than the usual combination of mini-games, sidequests, and secret locations?

Guevara

Am I the only one who thought collecting trinkets to upgrade items was a less fun way of obtaining upgrades than the usual combination of mini-games, sidequests, and secret locations?
I kind of agree.

I prefer: Holy shit found an awesome new shield!

to: Want a new shield? Find 18 bugs and 50 rupees

Neki

it'd be cool if it didn't tell me what an amber relic was every time I started a new game.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
What other Zelda game let you upgrade items three times a clip?

They didn't remove something, they added something.

Guevara

I don't really get buying and upgrading seed bags/bomb bags etc.

So I can either upgrade a bag or buy additional bags. Why would I want to buy additional bags since they just take up a pouch slot? Is there a limit to the number of additional bags I can buy?

Don't see how I'll be able to help Uncle Bats. I've got 70 crystals, can't see how the hell I'll be able to do
Bug Wrangler in 90 seconds
and no idea where the other five could be since I seemingly got every loose one in Skyloft.

The amount of upgrades in this game dwarfs the usual Zelda's. I really doubt there would have been nearly as many shields as there are if it weren't for the upgrade system.

What other Zelda game let you upgrade items three times a clip?

They didn't remove something, they added something.

On top of that a lot of the special items required to upgrade your equipment are found in secret areas, enemies and chests. So they give you the excitement and enjoyment of discovering new items to upgrade your items.

The amount of upgrades in this game dwarfs the usual Zelda's. I really doubt there would have been nearly as many shields as there are if it weren't for the upgrade system.
IMO they should've gotten rid of the
Sacred
Shield and just made the Iron and Wood shield stronger, that way there could've been more focus on adjusting your shields accordingly to different attacks. It also would've made the
Hylian
Shield a better reward.

I hope next time they go further with the upgrade. Electric, Fire and Ice arrows, long clawshot, Pegasus Boots to boost speed and stamina, bombchus, underwater bombs, an upgrade for the whip.

well me personally, if I do all the side quests before finishing the main game, I usually get burnt out right before the end. if he can handle it, he should, but I have no will power. :p
I'm the opposite with Zeldas. I have to 100% pretty much everything on my first run. The on my next play I will be less OCD'y.

Red

Hey (so possible late-game music spoiler + speculation):

Seems like Levias theme takes a lot of inspiration from the Ballad of the Wind Fish played backwards. It's not 100%, but compare it yourself.

Seems significant after speculation pertaining to the character.

I also noticed (dungeon 5 music):

The deck theme after restoring time uses parts of the Kakariko village theme. Not sure how this one could be significant, but maybe a cool note.

Most clear between :30-1:00.

IMO they should've gotten rid of the
Sacred
Shield and just made the Iron and Wood shield stronger, that way there could've been more focus on adjusting your shields accordingly to different attacks. It also would've made the
Hylian
Shield a better reward.

I agree that the
Sacred Shield is really overpowered, especially for how early you get it. I think they could keep it, but rebalance it--decrease the meters on them even further (so that the lowest leveled one breaks on a single bad hit maybe?), or maybe get rid of their ability to deflect fire and electricity and make it specifically a curse deflecting shield and drop its regenerative abilities completely. As it is it completely supplants the Wooden and Iron Shields from the fourth dungeon onwards.

Still not as bad as Twilight Princess, where you get the best shield in the game before even setting foot into the second dungeon.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I agree with everything you posted before, but comparing it to Other M is a bit unfair. Still the exploration was downgraded if you compare to OoT or WW ( I expected the sky to be more like the ocean, but it was so empty... ).

continuing endgame spoilers
Also what about the endless horde of enemies... I loved that part, and did no expected at all. The last dungeon is probably one of my fav. in all Zelda games.

I was laughing at Ghriam's(sp) danceing moves
A 6 flags commerical sowed up on TV and I laughed very hard because it seemed to match

McNum

Hmm, so I figure past dungeon 5 is the time to do some sidequesting seeing as
the item wheel is full
. And I realize that I need a lot of materials. First up, tumbleweeds for the Bug Net upgrade so I can catch more bugs. And birds so I can upgrade my Sacred Shield. But this is sounding a little silly, perhaps, since I bet they're pretty common, but what's the best place for tumbleweeds?

Sinthetic

I spent about 5 minutes trying to open up the
portal with the Harp
. What the fuck, I had no problems with it in the woods. Must be the desert ruining my flow (or the fact that I'd as rhythmic as a bit of cardboard).

I've upgraded some really nice stuff,
beetle is super quick, net is huge, shield is devine.
I'm swagged up.

Red

What the fuck is the strategy for the (post-6th dungeon)
3rd Imprisoned fight? This is one of the worst bosses in the series, and it's repeated three times?? Why? The shockwave attack he does has increased its range to the point where I can't ever reach the toes without Groose. I tried jumping down and up via the air spouts and getting in front of him, but usually I just get knocked off the edge when I land, or I get one hit in and then he steps on me. No other items do anything? It's a super frustrating, not fun fight.

3rd Imprisoned fight? This is one of the worst bosses in the series, and it's repeated three times?? Why? The shockwave attack he does has increased its range to the point where I can't ever reach the toes without Groose. I tried jumping down and up via the air spouts and getting in front of him, but usually I just get knocked off the edge when I land, or I get one hit in and then he steps on me. No other items do anything? It's a super frustrating, not fun fight.

The third fight with the imprisoned is pretty easy, imo. Just shoot him with the Groosenator, kill a foot. (Once you take out all the toes on one foot he stops making shockwaves with that foot.) Then shoot him again and take out the other foot. You can also use Arrows to kill toes. Knock the seal into his head. He flies up. You shoot him and he falls on his back instantly, shove that seal in again. He flies up again. Shoot yourself onto his head and shove it in for the last time.

That took me about 5 tries. Fun game :D

Fi tells you as soon as you get to the first tentacles blocking your path that the only way to cut them is with a skyward strike. To fight the boss you run around avoiding tentacles while slicing them with skyward strikes, shoot the eye, and then attack it with your sword. When it starts beating on the ship, you run back and forth dodging until it stops and gives you a chance to fire an arrow. In the final phase you just slash away the snake tentacles with your sword until they stop and then shoot the eye.

Dungeon 5 boss spoilers.

The problem wasn't the Skyward Strike - I was doing it. The problem was that throughout the entire game, up to the boss himself, I had been doing that move only one way: hold sword vertically, swing down vertically.

The issue is that it didn't do anything to the tentacles. Actually, the REAL issue is that it did do something: it played the noise it makes when you successfully hit an enemy (the little musical noise)

So I did it over and over and over, thinking that at some point the tentacles would take enough damage and break. It was only a fluke that I swung sloppily and at an angle, where I then saw only that would slice the tentacles.

I'm the only one complaining about that part, so I'm willing to concede it must be not be a common problem. I think I was more sensitive to it after the poor dungeon that lead up to it

Red

The third fight with the imprisoned is pretty easy, imo. Just shoot him with the Groosenator, kill a foot. (Once you take out all the toes on one foot he stops making shockwaves with that foot.) Then shoot him again and take out the other foot. You can also use Arrows to kill toes. Knock the seal into his head. He flies up. You shoot him and he falls on his back instantly, shove that seal in again. He flies up again. Shoot yourself onto his head and shove it in for the last time.
So it really is just a matter of
waiting for Groose? That's my mistake then, I thought I could make progress by myself without relying on the cannon.

Earlier, you're told by the old woman (who I'm guessing is Impa, though if so that hasn't been formally revealed yet), to use the cannon when the Imprisoned is in your blind spot. He's always in sight though. I still don't know what to make of her advice.

So it really is just a matter of
waiting for Groose? That's my mistake then, I thought I could make progress by myself without relying on the cannon.

That or sniping him with the bow are the easiest ways to do it, imo. You really only have to take him down that way the first time though.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx

There's a much easier and faster method to fighting the Imprisoned in all of its forms. Get on a ledge above the Imprisoned. Have Groose stun him with a bomb. This is so the Imprisoned doesn't buck you off. (He won't buck you off in its first form.) Then jump on the Imprisoned's head and attack the weak point.

Hmm, so I figure past dungeon 5 is the time to do some sidequesting seeing as
the item wheel is full
. And I realize that I need a lot of materials. First up, tumbleweeds for the Bug Net upgrade so I can catch more bugs. And birds so I can upgrade my Sacred Shield. But this is sounding a little silly, perhaps, since I bet they're pretty common, but what's the best place for tumbleweeds?

lanayru's desert, really. i just spent a good half an hour going through the entire region finding chests and goddess boxes that i missed the first time around and caught about a dozen of tumbleweeds. they tend to disappear quickly though so have your bug net ready!

I think of all the "predungeons" as part of the dungeons themselves.

true, which is why i think all of the dungeons so far have been short in length. i think in the future zeldas, they will probably phase out traditional "dungeons" and it will be just one massive region at a time, full of puzzles and powerups, kinda blending what we have in SS

Red

There's a much easier and faster method to fighting the Imprisoned in all of its forms. Get on a ledge above the Imprisoned. Have Groose stun him with a bomb. This is so the Imprisoned doesn't buck you off. Then jump on the Imprisoned's head and attack the weak point.
Didn't know this was possible. Thanks.

I haven't gotten to the 6th dungeon yet, but the 5th is easily the best dungeon in the game. It still lacks the scope of previous Zelda dungeons (or maybe I'm just a better Zelda-er) but it has the best puzzles.

I mean, it was the only dungeon I've been stumped on in certain parts.

I'm on the 6th dungeon now and the 5th dungeon was easily the worst dungeon in the game for me......so empty :-(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So, now that the story is finished and I don't want to
start Hero Mode yet
, I'm wandering the land completing the side quest, collecting Heart Pieces, and slashing up Goddess Cubes. This is the part of 3D Zelda titles I enjoy the most, and usually, a bunch of these things being well hidden, gives me a deeper appreciation for the worlds.

McNum

lanayru's desert, really. i just spent a good half an hour going through the entire region finding chests and goddess boxes that i missed the first time around and caught about a dozen of tumbleweeds. they tend to disappear quickly though so have your bug net ready!
I caught one, so now my Bug Net is a lot easier to use. Plus I got the shield upgraded. Had a little scare with the basic Sacred Shield after messing up two bashes in a row. I hope it's a bit more durable now.

Also, isn't it a little ironic that the one thing you DO want to dowse for, that is setting a particular item or bug to search for, isn't possible?

RagnarokX

It's actually
one of the best bosses in the game. You're just using the worst strategy for it. Stun him with a bomb and get on his head. The 2nd and 3rd hits in this fight are both different and easy. 3rd fight is the easiest of the 3, but also the most badass.

Seems like a ton of people didn't know this. This was the way I defeated him all 3 forms.

Me too. It's a shame. I was wondering why so many people hated it.

KarmaCow

It never even occurred to me *boss spoiler*
that I was 'supposed' to kill his toes. There are vents of air everywhere, including a giant one that takes you all the way to the top of the spiral, why wouldn't you try to land on top of him? Does Fi tell you this?

RagnarokX

It never even occurred to me *boss spoiler*
that I was 'supposed' to kill his toes. There are vents of air everywhere, including a giant one that takes you all the way to the top of the spiral, why wouldn't you try to land on top of him? Does Fi tell you this?

People have said that
Fi tells you to go after the toes. I think that's supposed to be the brute force method and Nintendo was hoping you'd figure out the more clever methods on your own... plus they showed this at TGS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StXfwq4GU3g#t=10m9s. IGN showed another method where you can just cut off the back toenails and wait for it to climb. When you hit it with the groosenator, without the back nails to stabilize it, it will fall on its back when it falls off the cliff and allow you to nail the stake back in. Getting on its head is definitely the fastest way, though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I really liked the (late boss spoilers)
3rd Imprisoned fight. He went really fast and I was actually really close to him getting to the top, the other 2 were really easy. I do think it's a drag that all 3 show up in boss rush, there's really nothing offered in the first two in comparison that make them any fun after this.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I really liked the (late boss spoilers)
3rd Imprisoned fight. He went really fast and I was actually really close to him getting to the top, the other 2 were really easy. I do think it's a drag that all 3 show up in boss rush, there's really nothing offered in the first two in comparison that make them any fun after this.

I look at them as some of the easiest battles to
win in Boss Rush mode, not to mention there are a bunch of hearts around the level you can use to heal up if you're hurting.

peakish

just finished dungeon 5 (dont read if you havent finished it either)

possibly my first letdown on this game so far :/ i LOOOOOOOOOVED the pre-dungeon area but the actual dungeon itself was incredibly short and easy. overall, it just felt too fast paced and i thought they could have utilized the clawshot more, which they didnt even once this dungeon. im also not a big fan of pirate ships so that also didnt help.

my biggest disappointment was that i wanted to see a new temple with new aesthetics and enemies and types of puzzles. this one seemed to re use the same enemies from dungeon 3 with a similar setting. dungeon 4 was completely different from 1, despite being in the same region and i was hoping for something like that for dungeon 5. the boss was also ridiculously easy too.

i guess i had more expectations for the dungeon considering how fucking awesome the pre dungeon area was. time shifting ocean, clawshotting, that incredible roller coaster ride...seriously, that had my palms sweaty and had me at the edge of my seat. incredible. then the pirate ship letdown came...ugh

moving on to the next, but i think ill take some time to explore and do more sidequests first. wash this disappointment down so to speak

Sad to hear that, I enjoyed the shit out of it. I though the puzzles were interesting (but simple once you got the hang of the "mechanic") and that they used the
time skipping very well to create two distinct areas of it. I'll admit that they already covered this in the third dungeon, but I really liked this rethread.

I just finished the sixth dungeon, it was very good. New mechanic was, again, interesting. But it was really, really simple, I figured out puzzles in instants, none of the enemies were challenging and the boss way too simple instead of how menacing it should have been.
It doesn't help that you've already beaten him before and fought a lot of similar enemies since.

Still, even with these gripes I'm having a lot of fun with it. But they did a great job with varying the challenge in early game and it's disappointing that they're losing that now.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, I just marathon'd the sections (late game spoiler)
to get 3 parts of the Song of the Hero, with Lanayru's being the last one. With boss rush unlocked, I immediately ran through the 8 battles required to get the Hylian Shield. Got it on my first try, though I was down to 4 hearts during the last fight (Tantalus) so I was sweating a bit, haha.

So good, though I think it's now time to take a tea break, heh. I can see myself replaying a ton to see what kind of times I can get.

Papercuts

I look at them as some of the easiest battles to
win in Boss Rush mode, not to mention there are a bunch of hearts around the level you can use to heal up if you're hurting.

I think most of the bosses are easy, especially on the second try, so I never needed hearts. They were just there to kill another 2-3 minutes. :p

AniHawk

Oh man, I just marathon'd the sections (late game spoiler)
to get 3 parts of the Song of the Hero, with Lanayru's being the last one. With boss rush unlocked, I immediately ran through the 8 battles required to get the Hylian Shield. Got it on my first try, though I was down to 4 hearts during the last fight (Tantalus) so I was sweating a bit, haha.

So good, though I think it's now time to take a tea break, heh. I can see myself replaying a ton to see what kind of times I can get.

my biggest concern was fighting ghirahim 2 and the scorpion. i was doing pretty well and then fight 7: ghirahim 2 and fight 8: scorpion

still got it on my first try though.

Papercuts

my biggest concern was fighting ghirahim 2 and the scorpion. i was doing pretty well and then fight 7: ghirahim 2 and fight 8: scorpion

still got it on my first try though.

I thought the scorpion was the easiest boss in the game. For some reason when I fought the scorpion randomly in the room pre-5(I think?) it was a lot harder. Weird.

Ghirahim 1 is also harder to me than 2 for some reason. I beat 2 in 1:09 on my first shot.

Top Bottom