• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

RagnarokX

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...rumors-and-the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword/

G4 did a feedback episode with Skyward Sword as the game of the week. I haven't watched it yet but I was told the zelda discussion starts a little over 40 minutes in.

They were really disappointed:
Felt the game was held back by hardware.
Didn't feel like they were exploring. (Mention OoT "letting you do the temples in any order", which is only a half truth).
Didn't like the story;
wanted Link and Zelda to bang.
Had to recalibrate a lot because "the game doesn't tell you when it uses pointing" except for you know the cursor.
The beginning could not be slower.
They couldn't figure out how to put their sword away?
Controls were not great,
why can't I stab these eyes in the first temple?
"I think I started to get it around the
5th dungeon."
They couldn't beat
the scorpion boss.
Hit themselves in the face with the cord.
Dungeons are well done.
Like that the world is full of puzzles but that took too long. Hated
the Lanayru Mines pre dungeon...
Hate Fi, looks like a hooker from Tron. Fishnets don't belong in Zelda.
Good game. Beautiful. Orchestrated music.
WM+ kinda works.
It's a must buy.
Not going to be the next Ocarina. Twilight Princess was closer.
Favorite dungeons: Forest Temple (OoT), Ganon's Castle (OoT), Water Temple (OoT), Spirit Temple (OoT), Shadow Temple (OoT), "The fire one from Twilight Princess with the spinner."

Xun

I really do dislike the bomb rolling.

It's almost as if it has been designed for standing up.

Probably my biggest gripe with this nearly perfect game so far.

ASIS

I really do dislike the bomb rolling.

It's almost as if it has been designed for standing up.

Probably my biggest gripe with this nearly perfect game so far.

Yup! Rolling in this game requires actual rolling in real life, no shortcuts whatsoever.

It didn't bother me once I learned that, but a simple flick should have been enough, no need to do a full motion, really.

Didn't feel like they were exploring. (Mention OoT "letting you do the temples in any order", which is only a half truth).
Didn't like the story;
Had to recalibrate a lot because "the game doesn't tell you when it uses pointing" except for you know the cursor.
Controls were not great,
5th dungeon."
They couldn't beat
the scorpion boss.
Dungeons are well done.
WM+ kinda works.
It's a must buy.
Favorite dungeons: Forest Temple (OoT), Ganon's Castle (OoT), Water Temple (OoT), Spirit Temple (OoT), Shadow Temple (OoT), "The fire one from Twilight Princess with the spinner."
No way they actually said that, LOL this made my day!

Kard8p3

Yup! Rolling in this game requires actual rolling in real life, no shortcuts whatsoever.

It didn't bother me once I learned that, but a simple flick should have been enough, no need to do a full motion, really.

I just tilt the wiimote down then flick it forward and it works fine. I never did an actual full roll motion.

backlot

I think a flick works as long as you have the wiimote in the right position before you start it. I've never had to do a full arm swing.

ASIS

I just tilt the wiimote down then flick it forward and it works fine. I never did an actual full roll motion.

I think a flick works as long as you have the wiimote in the right position before you start it. I've never had to do a full arm swing.

Maybe because I am playing on my bed, but those didn't work for me.

It's not a big deal, I can still roll bombs when and how I want, but hearing that simple flicks works for other people is still good new nonetheless.

Maybe because I am playing on my bed, but those didn't work for me.

It's not a big deal, I can still roll bombs when and how I want, but hearing that simple flicks works for other people is still good new nonetheless.

I play sitting on my bed. The "point down and flick" works great for me.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I can do bomb rolling perfectly when lying down on my back. :/

I finally had the chance to play some more. Finished the fourth dungeon and started the next section. This was probably my favourite "arc" of the game so far. The swimming motion controls got a bit of time to get used to, but for once I didn't feel like the game was padding itself to lengthen the playing time. It was a constant barrage of new stuff.

Re: the dungeon: that was more simplistic than the third one, but that made it a whole lot more fun. It's more streamlined and the puzzles, while not mind-breaking, have a nice flow going from one into the next. The whole thing feels very natural.

Re: the boss: That was the most tense battle so far. I just wish he hadn't been so easy to figure out.

I played leaning way back in my couch and it is impossible to roll a bomb without really straining my wrist. I have to actually sit up. ): (Alternatively, I can just change the way I hold the remote until I'm done rolling, but that's incredibly inconvenient.)

Maybe I should be playing it on my PC. None of that lazy couch syndrome.

MechaX

God Damnit Fi, what the hell. *1st Trip to Lanayru Desert Spoilers*
I do not appreciate how Fi essentially solves the dial puzzle for if you so much as mess it up once. Yeah, it's not a complex puzzle, but after messing it up the first time, I was literally like "Hm.. Well, the little dials all turned to the left, but maybe if I" "MASTER LOOK AT YOUR MAP THE SOLUTION IS HERE THEY ARE CONNECTED MASTER"

Falcs

Banned
Finally got my LE copy of this in the mail.
I'm about an hour and a bit into it and I've just gotten past
the part where you meet Fi and pull out the sword
So far I love the game, but then I love just about all Zelda games except for the DS games (found them boring).

One of my first thoughts playing this game is "It's time Nintendo gave Zelda voice acting." Especially at that first moment when Zelda is on the screen. I was just expecting to hear her voice. It would have just worked perfectly right after
her singing
but instead I had to read text.
Also someone else mentioned earlier that it's weird watching Link communicate as a mute, and now I get what they meant.

Finally got my LE copy of this in the mail.
I'm about an hour and a bit into it and I've just gotten past
the part where you meet Fi and pull out the sword
So far I love the game, but then I love just about all Zelda games except for the DS games (found them boring).

One of my first thoughts playing this game is "It's time Nintendo gave Zelda voice acting." Especially at that first moment when Zelda is on the screen. I was just expecting to hear her voice. It would have just worked perfectly right after
her singing
but instead I had to read text.
Also someone else mentioned earlier that it's weird watching Link communicate as a mute, and now I get what they meant.

....What wrong with reading? i never got the hate if it was up to me all RPG would be text only

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
God Damnit Fi, what the hell. *1st Trip to Lanayru Desert Spoilers*
I do not appreciate how Fi essentially solves the dial puzzle for if you so much as mess it up once. Yeah, it's not a complex puzzle, but after messing it up the first time, I was literally like "Hm.. Well, the little dials all turned to the left, but maybe if I" "MASTER LOOK AT YOUR MAP THE SOLUTION IS HERE THEY ARE CONNECTED MASTER"

Yeah, one of the two puzzles she spoiled for me. Extremely lame.

Falcs

Banned
....What wrong with reading? i never got the hate if it was up to me all RPG would be text only

Nothing wrong with reading. I think it'd be perfect if voice acting was introduced with captions like other games, and for those who prefer text you can just disable the voice over (of course that'll never happen).
I think what I would like more than anything though is for Link to talk, even if it's text. Kind of sucks that the main character is a mute and can't talk, and people are able to read his mind, coz that's the way I see it in the story.

I still love the game so far.

I think they'll definitely go with VA for the next console title, though I expect it will be more Hylian (like Fi and Midna) than traditional voice acting.

McNum

Hmm, on the plus side, I know exactly where to go for Ancient Flowers and Tumbleweeds now, on the minus side, I tried out the
rollercoaster mine cart
minigame. You're supposed to get a time of less than 1:05, right? How? I keep messing up the jumps, so there's probably something to gain there, but still. I get 1:06.50-ish times.

Also, will there come a time where I can get more Dusk Relics? Apart from
just buying them from the secret shop
?

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...rumors-and-the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword/

G4 did a feedback episode with Skyward Sword as the game of the week. I haven't watched it yet but I was told the zelda discussion starts a little over 40 minutes in.

Why 3 girls? Who are they? Why can't we see Gabe Newell vs. the Ubisoft devs in a ring?

- They assume it's a disappointment for every fans. (Ah!)
- Not wise to say you write fanfic for every character ever, girl. Not wise.
- Zelda is a huge bitch. (Kinda agree, though.)
- Took one 3 hours to find the bird. (That's not a bad thing, that's just being retarded.)
- How did she punches her boyfriend with the Nunchuck cord? HOW!?
- Pre-Dungeon segments too long, how is that a bad thing? Especially the Lanayru one.
- Fi (we all hate her, don't worry.)

Hmm, on the plus side, I know exactly where to go for Ancient Flowers and Tumbleweeds now, on the minus side, I tried out the
rollercoaster mine cart
minigame. You're supposed to get a time of less than 1:05, right? How? I keep messing up the jumps, so there's probably something to gain there, but still. I get 1:06.50-ish times.

?

Later on in the game
You can get the opportunity to redo the goddess trials with a timer, Dusk Relics are still obtainable from this. Truthfully you shouldn't need to, i've got far too many of the things.
I had no idea there was a minecart minigame, I need to look into that.

Branduil

Didn't like the story;
Controls were not great,
5th dungeon."
They couldn't beat
the scorpion boss.
Dungeons are well done.
WM+ kinda works.
It's a must buy.

Ganon's Castle and the Shadow Temple are really overrated.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The problem I have with bomb rolling is that my remote doesn't seem to recognize a shallow tip down as the cue to enter "roll mode", so I have to pretty much tip it vertical.

McNum

Later on in the game
You can get the opportunity to redo the goddess trials with a timer, Dusk Relics are still obtainable from this. Truthfully you shouldn't need to, i've got far too many of the things.
I had no idea there was a minecart minigame, I need to look into that.
It's at the
Shipyard
. Ask the
Goron there and he'll give you a choice of tracks, "Scary!" or "Heart-stopping!". The prize for the Heart-stopping one is... appropriately enough a Heart Piece.
I want that.

That spot is also good for Lizard tails, if you need any.
Two Lizalfos, a save point, and a chair to heal on in case they get a few hits in.
If there's a place to sell those things, I'd have more than enough Rupees, but I'd think there are better places to get those.

rollercoaster mine cart

?

This might seem a little obvious but (minigame)
If you lean in a little bit, you'll get a "speed boost" that is visually implied by the screen blurring. That's how you go faster.

Why 3 girls? Who are they? Why can't we see Gabe Newell vs. the Ubisoft devs in a ring?

- They assume it's a disappointment for every fans. (Ah!)
- Not wise to say you write fanfic for every character ever, girl. Not wise.
- Zelda is a huge bitch. (Kinda agree, though.)
- Took one 3 hours to find the bird. (That's not a bad thing, that's just being retarded.)
- How did she punches her boyfriend with the Nunchuck cord? HOW!?
- Pre-Dungeon segments too long, how is that a bad thing? Especially the Lanayru one.
- Fi (we all hate her, don't worry.)

Zelda is not a bitch.

McNum

This might seem a little obvious but (minigame)
If you lean in a little bit, you'll get a "speed boost" that is visually implied by the screen blurring. That's how you go faster.
(Minigame spoiler)
I do know to lean into the curves, but I mess up the jumps. Is there a specific timing to when you need to pull up? Or do you mean that Link can lean forward to speed up in straights? That'd be a big help.

My mind is full of fuck. Are they lying? How is that even possible? Not only can you explore every square inch of skyloft 100X in 3 hrs, but they put an X on your fucking map on where to go.

Varna

That section before dungeon 5 is such a tease.
Controlling the ship with the analogue just feels so much better then any of the motion control related movement
. Don't get me wrong, I think they work decent enough but for movement the thing just isn't as precise as I would like it to be.

Zelda is not a bitch.

Wouldn't mind at all if she had some attitude. So far she has just been the typical "childhood friend" from every anime in existence. I swear I almost shut the game off (very early game spoilers) when
she started crying about Link maybe not doing so well in the big game
. So awful.

jackdoe

Bomb rolling is actually easier than throwing a bomb overhead IMO. However, neither are as clunky as swimming. Terrible, terrible design choices right there.

ASIS

(Minigame spoiler)
I do know to lean into the curves, but I mess up the jumps. Is there a specific timing to when you need to pull up? Or do you mean that Link can lean forward to speed up in straights? That'd be a big help.

No Link can't lean forward, try not jumping at all but make sure you got all the boosting you can get. I think that's how I did it, not sure though.

The Technomancer

My mind is full of fuck. Are they lying? How is that even possible? Not only can you explore every square inch of skyloft 100X in 3 hrs, but they put an X on your fucking map on where to go.
These people are why Nintendo made Fi so annoying, and I think they're more common then we assume.

But they didn't give us a fucking option to turn her off!

Also still not getting the swimming complaints. Hold down A when you need to move forward and steer with motions, let go of A and use the control stick when you need to turn on the spot.

RagnarokX

Ganon's Castle and the Shadow Temple are really overrated.

The guy that said Ganon's Castle also thought that you refight the bosses, which only happens in ALttP and WW.

These people are why Nintendo made Fi so annoying, and I think they're more common then we assume.

Also still not getting the swimming complaints. Hold down A when you need to move forward and steer with motions, let go of A and use the control stick when you need to turn on the spot.
Fi was annoying, but she only told you stuff that novices would need to know like "Master, get hearts!" and repeating objectives. Judging by some of the comments I've seen in this thread alone Nintendo might not have made her annoying enough. "Master, you can turn around with the analog stick while swimming." "Master, there's a much better way to fight this boss." "Master, you have to actually stab to do a stab."

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I said it before, but Fi is honestly a shitty helper. She doesn't actually help people when they're stuck, she reiterates the obvious that was already stated. I don't think there's a demographic that she applies to, even people somehow being stumped on how to follow an X are above what she is.

I REALLY have no idea how that's possible though. 3 hours before you descend, maybe, but to get the bird? There seriously is not enough places to even go in that time period.

Fi is irrelevant. She's no help to these people anyway. She was never any help to me when I got stuck. If you need 3 hrs to find the bird I don't see how you can make it through later sections of the game.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

It's just completely arbitrary and unintuitive. I got used to it, but it doesn't make sense that swimming has to be motion controlled when regular running/walking isn't.

So i'm about 25hours into the game and I must say there are some of the worst boss designs in any Zelda game ever
the imprisoned, scaldera and the tentacle lady
but it also has the best area and bosses in a Zelda
Lanyaru desert and Koloktos and the scorpion boss.
I'm extremely split about the game, the things I thought I would not like such as the combat. I'm really happy with, but the things I enjoy about Zelda like the dungeons and weapons have been subpar for a Zelda game.

My rankings of the 3D zeldas upto this point are
OOT>TP>WW>SS>MM

I really hope the bosses improve and it gets better.

Varna

I said it before, but Fi is honestly a shitty helper. She doesn't actually help people when they're stuck, she reiterates the obvious that was already stated. I don't think there's a demographic that she applies to, even people somehow being stumped on how to follow an X are above what she is.

Aside from thinking people are stupid, I really do think they thought they had created a good character. Everything she says... it's suppose to be endearing to her character... yeah...

The Technomancer

I REALLY have no idea how that's possible though. 3 hours before you descend, maybe, but to get the bird? There seriously is not enough places to even go in that time period.

It reminds me of when my sister was 8 and she would spend hours running around in Okami with no clue what to do, and then when I got to that section of the game later (she was actually ahead of me) I found what to do in about ten minutes.

Top Bottom