• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

It's just completely arbitrary and unintuitive. I got used to it, but it doesn't make sense that swimming has to be motion controlled when regular running/walking isn't.

I fucking love the swimming. It's like a slower version of Zora Link, right down to the leaps you can do out of water. The motion controls make it quicker to actually get beneath the water and to resurface, IMO.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Aside from thinking people are stupid, I really do think they thought they had created a good character. Everything she says... it's suppose to be endearing to her character... yeah...

I feel like they had to think this too, but I just don't get it. Considering the first artwork of the game was Link + Fi and that's all we had to go on for awhile, I expected much more out of her.

It reminds me of when my sister was 8 and she would spend hours running around in Okami with no clue what to do, and then when I got to that section of the game later (she was actually ahead of me) I found what to do in about ten minutes.

Someone posted a video of DSP's playthrough where he didn't know how to do a spin attack. He seriously did not seem to comprehend what "horizontally" meant, so...yeah. I'm not really sure to what extent tutorials need to be going to cater to certain people, but as handholdy as Fi is, she does not seem to even be effective. :p

So i'm about 25hours into the game and I must say there are some of the worst boss designs in any Zelda game ever
the imprisoned, scaldera and the tentacle lady
but it also has the best area and bosses in a Zelda
Lanyaru desert and Koloktos and the scorpion boss.
I'm extremely split about the game, the things I thought I would not like such as the combat. I'm really happy with, but the things I enjoy about Zelda like the dungeons and weapons have been subpar for a Zelda game.

My rankings of the 3D zeldas upto this point are
OOT>TP>WW>SS>MM

I really hope the bosses improve and it gets better.

I'm sorry, sir, but you seem to have hit the wrong key here.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I fucking love the swimming. It's like a slower version of Zora Link, right down to the leaps you can do out of water. The motion controls make it quicker to actually get beneath the water and to resurface, IMO.
My biggest problem is the transition. Controlling the beetle/your Loftwing isn't as jarring because the game gives you a small window of time to transition from control stick movement to complete motion controlling. Going underwater is instantaneous, and it takes a moment for your brain and wrist to adjust.

It controls very well, but it is disorienting.
I intuited it pretty fast. Link is the controller. Tilt controller like you're tilting Link. Then I swam.
You are EmCeeGramr. You are a god among men.

With regard to the original artwork, I kind of wonder if the game was originally supposed to be about Link and Fi and was changed to be more about Link and Zelda.

That was over two years ago, after all.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Zelda is not a bitch.

She kinda is at the beginning of the game.

She tells you right in front of the headmaster that Link is a lazy bum and won't win the race, then you pushes Link off the edge of Skyloft, not believing him when he says he can't sense his bird.

At the very least, she's crazy.

Mistle

With regard to the original artwork, I kind of wonder if the game was originally supposed to be about Link and Fi and was changed to be more about Link and Zelda.

It'd be good if we ever got an Iwata asks that went into depth about all this sort of stuff. That'd be really interesting.

I haven't finished SS so I can't really comment of Fi's overall importance, but judging from the original artwork, she was a much bigger focus than she is now.

I don't see how. This isn't Metroid: Other M level of writing, she's pretty damn robotic and I don't see how much they could screw that up.
Yeah. I don't mean to suggest she had a different personality in Japanese, but perhaps the whole automated-robot things works a lot better in Japanese. I really have no idea though, lol.

RagnarokX

It'd be good if we ever got an Iwata asks that went into depth about all this sort of stuff. That'd be really interesting.

I haven't finished SS so I can't really comment of Fi's overall importance, but judging from the original artwork, she was a much bigger focus than she is now.

Yeah. I don't mean to suggest she had a different personality in Japanese, but perhaps the whole automated-robot things works a lot better in Japanese. I really have no idea though, lol.

Some of her lines were pretty funny. If all of her dialog was like that she would have been great.

Mistle

Some of her lines were pretty funny. If all of her dialog was like that she would have been great.
Yeah, mainly at the start of the game, her dialogue was funny in that it played on the whole "not understanding human emotions and traditions etc" aspect. But they dropped that pretty quickly once the game got kickstarted.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
They were really disappointed:
Felt the game was held back by hardware. Limitations inspire innovations
Didn't feel like they were exploring. (Mention OoT "letting you do the temples in any order", which is only a half truth).
Didn't like the story;
wanted Link and Zelda to bang.
Had to recalibrate a lot because "the game doesn't tell you when it uses pointing" except for you know the cursor.
The beginning could not be slower.
They couldn't figure out how to put their sword away?
Controls were not great,
why can't I stab these eyes in the first temple?
"I think I started to get it around the
5th dungeon."
They couldn't beat
the scorpion boss.
Hit themselves in the face with the cord.
Dungeons are well done.
Like that the world is full of puzzles but that took too long. Hated
the Lanayru Mines pre dungeon...
Hate Fi, looks like a hooker from Tron. Fishnets don't belong in Zelda.
Good game. Beautiful. Orchestrated music.
WM+ kinda works.
It's a must buy.
Not going to be the next Ocarina. Twilight Princess was closer.
Favorite dungeons: Forest Temple (OoT), Ganon's Castle (OoT), Water Temple (OoT), Spirit Temple (OoT), Shadow Temple (OoT), "The fire one from Twilight Princess with the spinner."
*my note bolded*

The only thing I truly dislike are the
silent realms
. Other than that, I am completely fine with this.

I also think OoT is overrated. The only reason is that it was the first "3d" zelda game that wasn't horrible. Alot of people suspected that zelda could suffer from the transission even after the sucess of mario 64.

The puzzles only feel long. I thought it took me 30min to complete a puzzle when it actually took 10min.

RagnarokX

Yeah, mainly at the start of the game, her dialogue was funny in that it played on the whole "not understanding human emotions and traditions etc" aspect. But they dropped that pretty quickly once the game got kickstarted.

My favorite was before dungeon
6 when she comments that she is 90% sure the next flame is somewhere in this active volcano and Link should look for flames.

Caelus

I thought it was cool when
Fi spoke admiringly of the miniboss Scervo. It was surprising to me and I wish there was more dialogue like this.

End-game spoiler:
Ghirahim being Fi's counterpart leans towards that being the case.

How the hell do you get the baby rattle out of the bird's nest? Even waited around for Beadle's shop to come by and it was still in the wrong position.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me, or does the cutscenes direction drop from "hey this is kind of great" to the typical "video game camera angles and cuts" after the first few hours? Watching some of those cutscenes now feels like a completely different game than most everything else in it. Much like Twilight Princess, there are a bunch of ideas and concepts that are mentioned there that are never brought up again in favour of the typical "save the world" storyline. But it's more than just narrative beats, I'm talking about the actual direction of the cinematics. They feel like they were made by a different team, or something.

Uchip

Banned
My biggest problem is the transition. Controlling the beetle/your Loftwing isn't as jarring because the game gives you a small window of time to transition from control stick movement to complete motion controlling. Going underwater is instantaneous, and it takes a moment for your brain and wrist to adjust.

It controls very well, but it is disorienting.

You are EmCeeGramr. You are a god among men.

thats kind of how i want swimming to feel...
can you imagine doing huge underwater parts with OoT style swimming? hell no
the (post dungeon 6 spoiler)
tadtones part
would have ruined the game for everyone. Swimming controls were some of the best.

neoism

Why 3 girls? Who are they? Why can't we see Gabe Newell vs. the Ubisoft devs in a ring?

- They assume it's a disappointment for every fans. (Ah!)
- Not wise to say you write fanfic for every character ever, girl. Not wise.
- Zelda is a huge bitch. (Kinda agree, though.)
- Took one 3 hours to find the bird. (That's not a bad thing, that's just being retarded.)
- How did she punches her boyfriend with the Nunchuck cord? HOW!?
- Pre-Dungeon segments too long, how is that a bad thing? Especially the Lanayru one.
- Fi (we all hate her, don't worry.)

01laugh.gif

01laugh.gif

01laugh.gif

WTF.. I was high and drink when I first played... I haven't had to reconnect once. Controls are great... these girls are retarded... sad I though Chobot was a gamer. really hot though.

Papercuts

Hmm...
Gratitude Crystals down, not sure where the last set is. I am missing one thing on my menu,
inbetween the letter and the rattle
which I'm guessing is what I need. What is it?

How the hell do you get the baby rattle out of the bird's nest? Even waited around for Beadle's shop to come by and it was still in the wrong position.

You need the hookshot. Grab on to a floating island to get up to the waterfall area at the top, and skydive off it of into the nest.

Hmm...
Gratitude Crystals down, not sure where the last set is. I am missing one thing on my menu,
inbetween the letter and the rattle
which I'm guessing is what I need. What is it?

You need the hookshot. Grab on to a floating island to get up to the waterfall area at the top, and skydive off it of into the nest.

Talk to Beedle.

kunonabi

Is it just me, or does the cutscenes direction drop from "hey this is kind of great" to the typical "video game camera angles and cuts" after the first few hours? Watching some of those cutscenes now feels like a completely different game than most everything else in it. Much like Twilight Princess, there are a bunch of ideas and concepts that are mentioned there that are never brought up again in favour of the typical "save the world" storyline. But it's more than just narrative beats, I'm talking about the actual direction of the cinematics. They feel like they were made by a different team, or something.

I didn't notice any major shift in the cutscene direction but the story felt like tons of stuff got dropped. I think it probably went from a more focused story on the Master Sword to a weak attempt at explaining multiple origins. There was just something missing about the story that I can't quite put my finger on.

He doesn't say anything. I bought out his entire store too.

At night he's sitting by the campfire with his beetle in a cage.

Guess it hasn't triggered yet. Where are you progress-wise? If you don't know (and want to),
the beetle's the silhouetted item that you have to retrieve for him

Papercuts

Guess it hasn't triggered yet. Where are you progress-wise? If you don't know (and want to),
the beetle's the silhouetted item that you have to retrieve for him

I have to go talk to Levias, I got all three pieces of the song. Seems pretty late to trigger then, haha.

Have you been to
that insect island where there's now a mini-game
already ? You might also have to talk with the guy in Skyloft whose sister you rescued, who mentions that island.

Nooope. I'll look for that.

AniHawk

so having a day to reflect (A WHOLE DAY!) and i think i'd place the current order of the 3d games like this:

tp
ss
mm
oot
tww

i haven't played tww in 7 years, but everything else is something i've replayed in the last five years, so it's a bit fresher in my mind. oot was an awesome, awesome huge awesome game in 1998. in 2011 it's small and extremely simple. it still has the best pacing of the 3d games, but i can't take anyone serious when they say the forest temple is currently one of the best dungeons in the series.

mm only has one great dungeon, and the majority of the game's worth comes from its sidequests. twilight princess is more uneven than skyward sword, but i found the puzzles consistently very good. skyward sword suffers from the same problem super mario galaxy had: uninteresting hub world you can fly around in, and it's super easy for the most part of the game, but the later parts are a lot better and what the game should have started out as.

the most disappointing thing about skyward sword is that it's destined to be a one-off for the series. i would love nintendo to revisit motion controls like these in a sequel, and add some complexity to the puzzles, but i think it's pretty obvious the tablet will be what they use to make the next one. on the plus side, we'll probably have the return of the dungeony overworld and orchestrated music. not to mention some sort of cel-shading with a diffferent art style.

scitek

Sooo, I'm nearing the end, right?

Got 3/4 of the Song of the Hero
and hooooo boy, the part I'm guessing most reviewers bitched about...
I really didn't like the fetch quest in the flooded woods. Why did I have to wait til I collected 2/3 of the notes on my own to be able to dowse? Fuck. Didn't mind the one near Eldin Volcano so much, though... that means I'm doing Lanayru last. Hope I don't hit that game-breaking bug!

Just finished. Great game and only a handful of complaints in general. Probably in my top 5 games of this generation. That said......I hafta say I think Twilight Princess was the better game for me in terms of tone, characters, dungeons, and world.....it really does kill me though. The #1 think I love about TP is the massive epic scope the game and the regions.

AniHawk

Sooo, I'm nearing the end, right?

Got 3/4 of the Song of the Hero
and hooooo boy, the part I'm guessing most reviewers bitched about...
I really didn't like the fetch quest in the flooded woods. Why did I have to wait til I collected 2/3 of the notes on my own to be able to dowse? Fuck. Didn't mind the one near Eldin Volcano so much, though... that means I'm doing Lanayru last. Hope I don't hit that game-breaking bug!

if you do lanayru last, you won't hit the game-breaking bug

ASIS

Just finished. Great game and only a handful of complaints in general. Probably in my top 5 games of this generation. That said......I hafta say I think Twilight Princess was the better game for me in terms of tone, characters, dungeons, and world.....it really does kill me though. The #1 think I love about TP is the massive epic scope the game and the regions.

Yeah, that's what I loved about TP as well. But this time it really is a new sense of discovery. You feel like you know the areas by heart when you finished, like you squeezed every inch of life they had once you're done.

I can't say which one I like better. A combination of both would be ideal.

They were really disappointed:
Felt the game was held back by hardware.
I never get this complaint (and see it everywhere). Was every game before this generation garbage because of the hardware? Is it not possible to make great games and innovate because of the hardware instead of just throwing everything in to make the game 'bigger'?

The rest of the complaints read like they have either never played a Zelda game before or have never played ANY game before and are terrible.

Really wish the game would have had some sort of tunic progression system. I don't like looking exactly the same at the outset of my adventure as I do at the end.

Top Bottom