• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Now Dungeon 6, that's what I'm talking about. Still pretty linear though, I liked the flow of 5 better, it was just a bit small.

Oh and Girahim
is....wow...the writers didn't just write him to be flamboyant, I guarantee their concept of him included the word "gay"...that posing scene...

Branduil

My ideal Zelda game would probably be something like:

-An open and large overworld like in Wind Waker, but primarily on land. Lots of warp points. Add randomized enemy encampments, lots of secrets, stuff to waste time on, etc.
-Bring back horse combat
-Keep motion plus controls
-Several areas within the overworld like the different land areas in Skyward Sword, where they're like pre-dungeon dungeons
-A couple big towns like Skyloft, Windfall Island, Clock Town, etc.
-Deep and involving sidequests on par with Majora's Mask, including mini-dungeons. Also give us something cool for completing every sidequest like in Majora's Mask.
-Massive and conceptually awesome dungeons that challenge our ideas of what a dungeon is like.
-A snow level.
-A giant bay with a boat and islands.
-A valley area with a giant monster that comes out at night like Night on Bald Mountain from Fantasia.
-Several overworld action setpieces.
-The spinner
-Master Quest version
-SS-style visuals in HD

I may have gotten a little carried away there.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've only played ALTTP and Link's Awakening DX for the 2D ones. I liked them a lot but I prefer the 3d ones by a mile. I also don't feel all that motivated to try the rest as by most accounts I seem to have done the best two, though I did want to try Minish Cap at some point. I was planning on getting the DS ones but I hear a lot of bad things about them.

MechaX

I've never really been big on 2D Zelda either. I've tried, and I really did like Link's Awakening, so that might be the only one I'll actually be able to complete one day. But the others... I just don't know. This was the complete opposite of one of my old roommates where he was never that big on 3D Zelda but loved 2D Zelda.

AniHawk

I maanged to beat all of the Silent Realms on my first try, but I have no idea how I pulled that off on the last one. I pulled off some miraculous shit.

while running across the bridge, in order to dodge the lantern guy, i jumped off early than i meant, and did this weird bounce off the end of the bridge, sending me onto land instead of the water of doom

Branduil

That one part with the field of watchers in the Lanayru
Silent Realm
is insane. I'm pretty sure you have no choice but to get spotted in that part.

It's funny how the previews mentioned the silent realm so much when it's an extremely small part of the game. It's like 30 minutes of a 30+ hour game.

PK Gaming

Having cleared the 6 dungeons, I can safely say that this is my favorite Zelda game by far. I'll give my entire opinion on it when I finish it, but so far its looking fantastic. The whole sequence where you go back in time to meet Zelda for the first time was incredible. I didn't think the writers in Nintendo had it in the them to produce such an intriguing plot twist. Its nice that Link's emotions are clearly expressed through his facial expressions too. I literally raised my wiimote in the air when I got the true master sword.

God, I just love this game

PS: The gecko mods are cool, though are they any gecko mods that allow you change Link's outfit? I want to
use the outfit during my hero mode playthrough

Papercuts

while running across the bridge, in order to dodge the lantern guy, i jumped off early than i meant, and did this weird bounce off the end of the bridge, sending me onto land instead of the water of doom

My last one was on top of the tower right by the start, and I ended up before that in the graveyard. The one on the bridge was about to see me so I DID just dive in the water of doom, and made a mad sprint to the tower and leaped up. There's a guardian right there that was waiting at the top of the ladder, so I jumped off and ran in a small circle while it followed me down. Then I rolled behind it and leaped up the ladder again as it was right behind me, getting closer and closer...got to the top of the ladder as it swung the sword, I rolled into the last tear and just made it.

Lost a few years off my lifespan, but I'm okay.

That one part with the field of watchers in the Lanayru
Silent Realm
is insane. I'm pretty sure you have no choice but to get spotted in that part.

It's funny how the previews mentioned the silent realm so much when it's an extremely small part of the game. It's like 30 minutes of a 30+ hour game.

The Lanayru one was the craziest section in the Silent Realm I had. I was constantly running around like a crazy person with them chasing after me and somehow made it in the nic of time.

I never had any issues on my first run except for the one I saved for last which is close to the portal but is right in front of a guardian and there is a lanter guy constantly floating really close to it. I just decided to fuck it and get spotted since I figured the Tears of Light was so close that I'd get it before I get hit. However, I was cocky and stupid and ran towards it and barely missed it making me get hit by the guardian.

After that it took me 3 or 4 times to beat it because I kept messing up.

Honestly, if they recycled assets from Skyward Sword, I don't think it would take too long. When the team didn't have to worry about that shit, they cranked out Majora's Mask in two years.

Actually didn't Aonuma begin work with it in less time. I seem to remember it being stated that it got finished in 9 months but that might not be including the actual planning stage. I just remember hearing that figure and the 1 year development time figure thrown around a lot.

I've said this before but I wish Nintendo rotated their teams a little more. Say after every generation shift a different team works on a different franchise. For example after EAD Tokyo did the Galaxy games they moved onto a different Nintendo ip and just handed over all the Mario assets and ideas they had to the next team that would work on it for Wii U and 3DS.

Anth0ny

Actually didn't Aonuma begin work with it in less time. I seem to remember it being stated that it got finished in 9 months but that might not be including the actual planning stage. I just remember hearing that figure and the 1 year development time figure thrown around a lot.

Insane.

I suppose the fucked up nature of the game was due to the grueling development period? lol

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
The last Silent Realm being in
Skyloft
was a perfect execution of the idea. When I found out there was one more, I immediately smiled. I knew exactly where it was going to be. With the main point of them being to test your knowledge of an area you've already been through, having the final one being set
in the area you've probably explored the most
was pure gold.

The only one I ever failed was in Faron Woods. I failed it twice. The first time was intentionally so I could get more Dusk Relics. The second time, I gathered them in a bad order and got caught on my way to the last tear. Lanayru Desert wasn't bad. The Eldin Volcano had the hardest trial. I never got caught, but I had some damn close calls. I thought the Skyloft trial was super easy. I knew the area like the back of my hand, so I smoothly navigated my way to each tear. I think only one ghost ever saw me.

I don't understand why reviewers thought the Silent Realm were so poor. They were pretty short, had great music, vastly improved on ideas from Twilight Princess and the DS Zeldas, and got pretty intense if you screwed up. I wish they were more difficult, but I'm pretty sure trying to
beat my times through the Thunder Dragon
will keep me satisfied.

Papercuts

The sound effect at the start of each silent realm when you
get the vessel
is the best thing ever.

D-Pad

Someone please tell me how to complete these side quests:

Potion thing:
Potion shop baby rattle missing. It's on top of the bird's nest. I can't reach the nest by diving off the high rock. My bug can't pick it up. How do I get the rattle?

Wheel thing:
It (WAS, because it's not on my dowsing list anymore, did I miss this?) is on top of the ledge in the desert. Don't know how to get up there.

Paper thing:
I fucked this one up I know already. But is it really gone for good? Should I have really given the letter to the person in the bathroom?

Late game spoilers below.

I'm about to start what I believe to be the final silent realm in skytown. I do not like these. They suck. I hate all kinds of stealth missions where I'm not allowed to be hit/be seen/take my time/fight my way out. Not as bad as the Temple of the Ocean King] but still annoying. The last dragon in Eldin volcano was almost a game breaker for me. Not that I had any trouble with it what so ever, but I reaaallllly haaaate thosekinds of missions

Anybody else find themselves trying to figure out the meaning behind the
Spirit Vessel
description?
"This blah blah blah, CHOSEN CHARACTER NAME HERE."
Why does it do that?!

TheNatural

My Member!
Without giving any spoilers, can anyone tell me if there's any second quest or bonus type things for a second playthrough of the game, that was rumored in the previews, for anyone who has completed the game?

AniHawk

Potion thing:
Potion shop baby rattle missing. It's on top of the bird's nest. I can't reach the nest by diving off the high rock. My bug can't pick it up. How do I get the rattle?
you have to skydive from the highest rock (where the waterfall is) onto the top of it.

Paper thing:
I fucked this one up I know already. But is it really gone for good? Should I have really given the letter to the person in the bathroom?

there are two ways to do this. if you get the crystals, the quest is over. if you give it to the hand, things take a hilariously disturbing turn

lordy88

Potion thing:

Wheel thing:
It (WAS, because it's not on my dowsing list anymore, did I miss this?) is on top of the ledge in the desert. Don't know how to get up there.

Paper thing:

Potion:
Dive off from top of the waterfall onto the nest (You can get there by clawshotting up near the entrance to the cave. You need to use the floating islands). Then use the gale blower thingamajig.

Wheel thing:
Hit the time crystal at the entrance of the cave, the nclimb up the grass and mosey across the ledge. Then call Scrapper using Fi to pick it up

Paper thing:
Don't worry about it. Both paths get the same reward in the end.

Without giving any spoilers, can anyone tell me if there's any second quest or bonus type things for a second playthrough of the game, that was rumored in the previews, for anyone who has completed the game?

I'm gonna spoil tag it in case someone doesn't want to know. It's either yes or no.
There is.

Potion thing:

Wheel thing:

Paper thing:
Potion:
Jump from the highest island which is the one with the waterfall. You can access it by clawshotting to a lower island via vines on the side and from there you should see another wall of vines to access the highest island. Then use the Gust bellows to remove the sand.

Wheel Thing
go to the door at the beggining that leads to the mines. There should be a time shift stone. Hit it and there should be a wall of vines on the right side of the wall.

Paper thing:
Yes it's over. It doesn't matter it's the same amount of Gratitude crystals and there are no other additional rewards. If you gave it to the ghost in the bathroom the ghost would've fallen in love with Cawlin and Pipit and Karane would've never been a couple.

D-Pad

you have to skydive from the highest rock (where the waterfall is) onto the top of it.
Potion:
Dive off from top of the waterfall onto the nest (You can get there by clawshotting up near the entrance to the cave. You need to use the floating islands). Then use the gale blower thingamajig.

Can't reach it! Link stops short and falls into the water below. I know you can tilt the controller to aim as you fall but I can never get him over far enough!

Potion thing:

Wheel thing:

Paper thing:

Late game spoilers below.

I'm about to start what I believe to be the final silent realm in skytown. I do not like these. They suck. I hate all kinds of stealth missions where I'm not allowed to be hit/be seen/take my time/fight my way out. Not as bad as the Temple of the Ocean King] but still annoying. The last dragon in Eldin volcano was almost a game breaker for me. Not that I had any trouble with it what so ever, but I reaaallllly haaaate thosekinds of missions

Potion:
If you got the clawshot, there is a patch of climby grass on some of those aerial islands, you get up to the top of that waterfall and jump towards the top where the rattle is at, you aim and fall on it. Simple.

Wheel:
There is a ledge you can climb across. If I remember right you have to use the time crystal to get to it. At the start of Lanaryu there is the crystal hit it, time change, can now climb up a patch of vines.

Paper:
Nah, you just get an awesomely creepy scene pertaining to Cawlin.

AniHawk

Can't reach it! Link stops short and falls into the water below. I know you can tilt the controller to aim as you fall but I can never get him over far enough!

push the front end of the wii remote downward. like a good 45 degree angle.

Mistle

Hell yeah, it's the weekend!

I hope I can finish this off so I can finally read spoiler text. Should be going to dungeon 5 now.
I'm at the same spot, not at 5 yet but it's coming up within moments I'd imagine. I've been prolonging this game as much as I can, but I kind of just want to finish it now before I get spoiled.

I've really, really liked it so far.

lordy88

Hell yeah, it's the weekend!

I hope I can finish this off so I can finally read spoiler text. Should be going to dungeon 5 now.

I'm at the same spot, not at 5 yet but it's coming up within moments I'd imagine. I've been prolonging this game as much as I can, but I kind of just want to finish it now before I get spoiled.

I've really, really liked it so far.

I don't mean to get you guys over hyped here, but I firmly believe the final 3 hours or so are easily the best parts of the game. Some of the best gaming hours I have ever been a part of. Seriously.

fernoca

Potion thing (what I did):
1. Stop Beedle's Shop close to the nest, go up (don't enter; go the the corner in front of the door)
2. Use the "blower" (aim at the center of the nest, you won't see anything just keep blowing)
3. Use the beetle to grab it (if you still see it covered it sand; use the blower again)
There! :p
I kept sucking at it, so found this way to be easier. :p

(Added some more details)

jackdoe

Dungeon 5 and the lead up to dungeon 5 were great and nothing like Dungeon 4's lead up. However, the lead up to Dungeon 6 is setting off my filler detector. I hope it's wrong, but having to return to an old area yet again is a bit tedious.

AniHawk

Dungeon 5 and the lead up to dungeon 5 were great and nothing like Dungeon 4's lead up. However, the lead up to Dungeon 6 is setting off my filler detector. I hope it's wrong, but having to return to an old area yet again is a bit tedious.

pre-6 is one of the only two things about the surface game that i disliked. it definitely felt like filler
although the difference being you were meant to go on a sniping spree was better than nothing.

Mistle

you've got at least 15 hours left.
Dungeon 5 and 15 hours left? Awesome. Time really isn't dependent on dungeon count in this game.

I've got 30 hours currently, and at around the same spot
just did the carts for the first time in the desert
Considering that it was said to be a 45 hour game, then it seems I'm lining up perfectly, haha

Potion thing (what I did):
1. Stop Beedle's Shop close to the nest, go up (don't enter; go the the corner in front of the door)
2. Use the "blower" (aim at the center, you won't see anything just keep blowing)
3. Use the beetle to grab it (if you still see it covered it sand; use the blower again)
There! :p
I kept sucking at it, so found this way to be easier. :p

(Added some more details)

I wondered if something like that would work.

Glad to see it does.

When I replay I do something different next time!

Mistle

IGN just posted a video that I'm not going to watch, but with the title: SS EASTER EGG:
FIELD OF KITTENS
or something similar. What? haha

Smellycat

Man, I had a lot of close calls in the Silent Realm! And I almost pulled off the most miraculous Silent Realm escape ever. ALMOST. It was the one in
Eldin Volcano
. I only had two tears left.
But here is the problem, my 90 seconds were up and I used up all of the illuminating light things. So, every time I stepped out of the blue circle, the guards would start chasing me. So, I was frantically searching in the near vicinity and then going back to the blue circle when the guards got close. After a couple of close calls, I decided that I was going all out! I wasn't going to go back to the blue circle until I got one of the tears.

So, everyone was following me as I was searching and running (almost out of breath) and crawling into holes, then I finally found one of the tears and it was on that platform where you had to walk on the tightrope to get it. (I literally said fuck when I saw that). So, I started walking on it and the guard was RIGHT BEHIND me!! The pressure was too much! I couldn't afford to mess up and fall, and thankfully I didn't. I got the tear right before he got to me. 1 more to go, and I had 90 more seconds! HORRAY.... not quite. I remembered that the last tear was at the end of the sand slope (the slope in front of the Earth temple). So, by the time I went all the way around to that area, the 90 second were up. and everyone started following me again. And the worst part is that there was a guard right next to the drop. I started sliding on the slope and I was 1 inch away from the tear, and BAM, the guard hit me. :(
Thankfully, I finished that one on my second try.

cacophony

It's pretty pathetic how bad I am at this game. I just died twice to the first boss.

How I wish I could play this without the stupid motion shit.

Top Bottom