• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

well unlike tp they weren't placed wherever. there were also rules to them like, these seeds will let you see others on the map. thanks to new obstacles and a lack of offense, it made you think more strategically about how to go about the map in skyward sword. in twilight princess, it introduced you to areas you rarely returned to. in skyward sword, it switches up the design of a place you might have thought you were familiar with.

i wouldn't want a full game of them or whatever, but to me they were as improved as st's megadungeon compared to ph's megadungeon.
I didn't have to think all that strategically, they were exactly the same as PH. Avoid floating lamps and brand new to the series, water! Collect a bunch of stuff in an area you've already been to a million times except now parts of it are closed off. I was already avoiding enemies in all my revisits so hey, didn't have any trouble with them. Apart from being bored and questioning why the devs continue to feel they need boring stealth sections with the addition of collectathon crap in their Zelda.

This is why we will never have a Zelda game that is mostly unanimously agreed to be good

Because two people will look at the same thing and one will decide it's great and the other will decide it's crap.
I think SS is a great game, just parts of it aren't up to snuff. I thought you said the same thing in your review?

Electric Brain

Neo Member
Man, I had a lot of close calls in the Silent Realm! And I almost pulled off the most miraculous Silent Realm escape ever. ALMOST. It was the one in
Eldin Volcano
. I only had two tears left.
But here is the problem, my 90 seconds were up and I used up all of the illuminating light things. So, every time I stepped out of the blue circle, the guards would start chasing me. So, I was frantically searching in the near vicinity and then going back to the blue circle when the guards got close. After a couple of close calls, I decided that I was going all out! I wasn't going to go back to the blue circle until I at got one of the tears.

So, everyone was following me as I was searching and running (almost out of breath) and crawling into holes, then I finally found one of the tears and it was on that platform where you had to walk on the tightrope to get it. (I literally said fuck when I saw that). So, I started walking on it and the guard was RIGHT BEHIND me!! The pressure was too much! I couldn't afford to mess up and fall, and thankfully I didn't. I got the tear right before he got to me. 1 more to go, and I had 90 more seconds! HORRAY.... not quite. I remembered that the last tear was at the end of the sand slope (the slope in front of the Earth temple). So, by the time I went all the way around to that area, the 90 second were up. and everyone started following me again. And the worst part is that there was a guard right next to the drop. I started sliding on the slope and I was 1 inch away from the tear, and BAM, the guard hit me. :(
Thankfully, I finished that one on my second try.

Spoilers (finished game)
Cool story! That last tear drop in Eldin was my last one as well. It was my first go, but my last tear and I knew it was over there somewhere. I was at the top of the slide and just leapt when I saw it. I knew I was going to run out of time, but I had so much speed going down the slope, by the time I was right next to the guard, he wasn't fast enough to hit me. I felt so legendary at that point.

The very last Silent Realm on Sky loft, my last tear was on top of the light tower. I climbed up, but made too much noise and the floating guard came and saw me. I was a few feet away from the last tear when he hit me. I was so sad.

Smellycat

It's pretty pathetic how bad I am at this game. I just died twice to the first boss.

How I wish I could play this without the stupid motion shit.

I think I only died 4 or 5 times, or maybe less. And one of them doesn't even count.
I died while running in the really hot area of the volcano (before I got the earings) haha

I didn't have to think all that strategically, they were exactly the same as PH. Avoid floating lamps and brand new to the series, water! Collect a bunch of stuff in an area you've already been to a million times except now parts of it are closed off. I was already avoiding enemies in all my revisits so hey, didn't have any trouble with them. Apart from being bored and questioning why the devs continue to feel they need boring stealth sections with the addition of collectathon crap in their Zelda.
Yeah, I don't think any of us will ever be 100% happy with this series. I thought the SR was actually pretty engaging, tense, but not exactly what I'd call stealth. Stay away from the enemies that can see you and run like hell over stuff, climb to get those damn things before time runs out.

It was frantic, and you're freaking naked. All you've got is some of the best movement the Zelda series has at your disposal and your wits. With enemies all around that deal 1 hit kills. And... well enemies are placed vastly different.

I don't know man, you just had to play it like I did I guess.

Smellycat

Spoilers (finished game)
Cool story! That last tear drop in Eldin was my last one as well. It was my first go, but my last tear and I knew it was over there somewhere. I was at the top of the slide and just leapt when I saw it. I knew I was going to run out of time, but I had so much speed going down the slope, by the time I was right next to the guard, he wasn't fast enough to hit me. I felt so legendary at that point.

The very last Silent Realm on Sky loft, my last tear was on top of the light tower. I climbed up, but made too much noise and the floating guard came and saw me. I was a few feet away from the last tear when he hit me. I was so sad.

That is how my run should have ended to, but it didn't. :( And the
Skyloft
one was the easiest one for me. It was the smallest area.

braves01

Banned
I just finished dungeon 5, and it's definitely the best yet. I really like dungeons like this one that
aren't straight up temples per se. For example, in TP I loved the chateau dungeon that you had to ski to. I don't know if I'd like a Zelda with just these kinds of dungeons, but they're great for mixing things up a bit. I was disappointed with the boss, though. The fight was okay, but I thought the appearance/style of the boss felt out of place. It reminded me way too much of that Octopus in the lava from the Mario Galaxy games. And the lead-up/chase to the boss felt underwhelming to me since I've been spoiled by Uncharted 3 so recently.
Best dungeon music so far, too.

kunonabi

OoT

First of all I expected a lot out of Ocarina of Time coming off of ALttP which I still consider the finest Zelda game ever made. Might of been unfair but it is what it is.

I'll do the more superficial stuff first:

I didn't like the music at all. I liked Gerudo Valley but the rest of it was a huge letdown. If you're going to leave out the Zelda theme you better do something freaking amazing and it didn't.

No beam sword - Easily one of my favorite Zelda staples and it was absent. It's hard to get excited for a Master Sword that doesn't do much except reflect stuff

I didn't care for the story or the characters. None of it clicked with me which really made the game a complete bore for me. I don't care about story that much but if you're going to force it on me, it better be good. I mean Sheik being Zelda was one of the lamest and most obvious plot twists I can remember.

Hated the character designs. I didn't like adult Link, young cancer patient Zelda, Big nose Ganondorf, or the great fairies.

The more important stuff:

The game was way too easy.

The dungeons were awful. I didn't consider any them to be difficult and the puzzles weren't really clever or challenging. The dungeons were just overly tedious.

I couldn't stand the side quests. I didn't like the masks, I didn't like the skulltulas or the poes. I hate collectathons and I consider them to be just mindless busy work.

I've played the game recently and the best thing I can say is that it was a good blueprint for doing Zelda games in 3D but it was a terrible Zelda game. What bothers me the most is that the precedents it set went on to ruin future zelda games. No zelda theme, no beam sword, shoehorning musical instruments, lack of any challenge whatsoever, and collecthons all started with OoT.

My primary love for Zelda is the dungeons and OoT had my least favorite ones of the entire series. Even if I had liked the story and such, the dungeons were still a deal breaker.

Now Master Quest fixes the dungeon issue but I don't care for having to do even more sidequests to make progress. I only do sidequests if I love the base game and want to see more and make the most out of my time with it. I don't like being forced to do them.

To sum up:
huge letdown after ALttP
awful dungeons
Responsible for pretty much all major faults with the console games since.
There wasn't one thing about the game that I enjoyed.

I honestly disliked OoT so much that I stopped playing Zelda games until TP.

I bought the 3DS version to give it one more chance(and it was half off) but I've accepted that I just don't like it.

Electric Brain

Neo Member
That is how my run should have ended to, but it didn't. :( And the
Skyloft
one was the easiest one for me. It was the smallest area.

Spoiler (finished game)
Yeah, it was easy, because I knew that place inside out :). I was just ever so slightly impatient when climbing that ladder...

Poyunch

Bathroom sidequest spoilers:

So I made two files so that I could see both results. I first went with the ghost because Cawlin's an asshole and I wanted to see more weird Zelda characters. The result was screwed. The ghost fondling Cawlin and saying she'll never leave him and Cawlin being alone and haunted. That's messed up.

So the other choice seemed much better. I got to help a fellow floppy hatted person and the only other female student in the school. I actually felt good about getting the gratitude system rather than disturbed (which is a fun part about the Zelda series too).

Also it's hilarious that you can sit on the toilet right as you had the letter to the ghost. I would never do that.

RagnarokX

So I made two files so that I could see both results. I first went with the ghost because Cawlin's an asshole and I wanted to see more weird Zelda characters. The result was screwed. The ghost fondling Cawlin and saying she'll never leave him and Cawlin being alone and haunted. That's messed up.

So the other choice seemed much better. I got to help a fellow floppy hatted person and the only other female student in the school. I actually felt good about getting the gratitude system rather than disturbed (which is a fun part about the Zelda series too).

Also it's hilarious that you can sit on the toilet right as you had the letter to the ghost. I would never do that.
Karane is not the only female student. There is another one that saves you if you fall off Skyloft at night. She's also at the beginning of the wing ceremony with the other colored smoke bird riders (who also rescue you when you fall).\

Zelda might be a student, too. She does have a room in the academy. The clothes she wears are because of the ceremony; so she could be a student.

Poyunch

Karane is not the only female student. There is another one that saves you if you fall off Skyloft at night. She's also at the beginning of the wing ceremony with the other colored smoke bird riders (who also rescue you when you fall).

Yeah the one in red. I just assumed she was already an official knight that's graduated. I thought that's kind of the point of the school.

I thought that was hilarious. Take that stupid hair Cawlin!

It's pretty pathetic how bad I am at this game. I just died twice to the first boss.

How I wish I could play this without the stupid motion shit.

Swinging crazy around and you will end up ding alot, keep you're shield up when not attacking don't forget you have one

gameplay much deeper then pressing A is that a bad thing -_-

Anth0ny

No beam sword - Easily one of my favorite Zelda staples and it was absent. It's hard to get excited for a Master Sword that doesn't do much except reflect stuff

I've never heard this criticism before. It's pretty much impossible to make the beam sword work in 3D Zelda. It was basically replicated in Majora's Mask... through Fierce Deity's Mask. No way that's going to fly in regular gameplay.

The closest we've gotten to a non-broken beam sword is the Skyward Strike... but I didn't really find it fun. Beam sword works much better in 2D.

Can't really address the rest of your post. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the game as much as pretty much everyone on the planet did =/

AniHawk

i think it's well beyond what was there in phantom hourglass. i can't remember phantom hourglass very well, but i think part of the guardian chases involved solving actual puzzles while being chased around a room. i felt 3d benefited the segments by making it more difficult to get to certain safety points. skyward sword is much more to the point with this sort of thing, where in phantom hourglass the 1-hit guardians felt like they were just kind of tossed in there.

and i thought making the water a bad thing was a nice twist. it takes something that you not only take for granted, but is actually helpful, and makes it something to avoid. it's not as strong as it could be because you don't go into the water to save yourself too much in zelda games (usually if you're jumping off something high, it's preferable to aim yourself towards some deep water and not the ground), but i thought it was simple and effective.

more than anything, the tear hunts remind me of those 100 purple coin challenges in the smg games where you're chased by the cosmic mario(s).

I hate them because I suck at them basically.
In your defense it takes some time to get used to them. Like the others have said, waggle wont get you anyway. Be less frantic with your movement, slow it down a notch and hopefully you'll be able to do the strikes.

The good thing is that for once a Zelda game actually punish you for playing badly :p

In your defense it takes some time to get used to them. Like the others have said, waggle wont get you anyway. Be less frantic with your movement, slow it down a notch and hopefully you'll be able to do the strikes.

The good thing is that for once a Zelda game actually punish you for playing badly :p

Planning a string of attacks and always being prepared to shield bash makes your battles very easy.

I've never been engaged enough by what I've played of LTTP to even hit the halfway mark.
imo, any 3D Zelda is better than any 2D Zelda

and i like 2D Zeldas! they just don't engage me anywhere near as much as the 3D games.
Ah thanks for using the perfect word to explain why Lttp just didn't click with me. I guess engage is still a rather arbitrary term, but it hits the mark better than anything I've been able to articulate.
Having started the series with OoT I do understand somewhat why I didn't get the feel of Lttp and its 2D world.
But still, strange as I have for example just played Metroid last year for the first time and loved it, and considering that Lttp and OoT(fav. Zelda) are so closely related I was certain that Lttp would be an awesome experience. But nah, game really felt dead to me.

Poyunch

How does it end? I went the other path.

The girl considers it but worries how Pipit, the guy in yellow, might feel since she likes him. Pipit finds out and he realizes that he has to step in. Everyone lives happily ever after. Except Cawlin.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I only died once on the first boss, but I had exhausted both my shield and my potion the first time and had to fight him without either the second. I would've just reloaded if it hadn't been so long since I saved. Fortunately, he's not impenetrable. In the second half of the battle, for example,
you can swing and hit him the moment he charges at you. If you don't let him attack, then he doesn't have a chance.
I think I learned this by blind luck.

The combat is the biggest thing that needed an overhaul. TP and WW had some fun non-boss enemies, such as the Darknuts, but otherwise the combat was growing stale, and the easier enemies were completely pointless. The enemies are still somewhat predictable in SS, but they have extremely fast reflexes and, for the most part, can't be taken lightly. It reminds me a lot of Zelda 2.

Ah thanks for using the perfect word to explain why Lttp just didn't click with me. I guess engage is still a rather arbitrary term, but it hits the mark better than anything I've been able to articulate.
Having started the series with OoT I do understand somewhat why I didn't get the feel of Lttp and its 2D world.
But still, strange as I have for example just played Metroid last year for the first time and loved it, and considering that Lttp and OoT(fav. Zelda) are so closely related I was certain that Lttp would be an awesome experience. But nah, game really felt dead to me.

Quick question: have you played Link's Awakening? And if so, did you play it before or after LttP? I've found a lot of people with similar opinions about LttP, and all of them have either never played Link's Awakening or played it long after they tried LttP.

oatmeal

Banned
Two dragons in...stealth bullshit and tadpole bullshit...

What kind of fucking bullshit is this?

Fuck. That. Shit.

What a lame way to extend the game.

This is lamer than the Triforce quest from TWW. At least that made sense, this is just more 'collect doodads and thingamabobs for no fucking reason'.

Jesus...

Half the time I'm like "this is so good", and then the other time...all I can think is:

zeldarape.jpg

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Two dragons in...stealth bullshit and tadpole bullshit...

What kind of fucking bullshit is this?

Fuck. That. Shit.

What a lame way to extend the game.

This is lamer than the Triforce quest from TWW. At least that made sense, this is just more 'collect doodads and thingamabobs for no fucking reason'.

Jesus...

Half the time I'm like "this is so good", and then the other time...all I can think is:

zeldarape.jpg

You can atleast take solace in Lanarayu being more standard Zelda. I also think everything else after this is pure excellence to the credits.

oatmeal

Banned
You can atleast take solace in Lanarayu being more standard Zelda. I also think everything else after this is pure excellence to the credits.

So I've heard.

The part before this bullshit was awesome. The whole stuff...you know what I mean.

That was powerful Zelda shit right there. Some of the best cut scenes in the history of the franchise...and then it just punches itself right in the cock.

A disturbing trend that has happened throughout the entire 40 hour run so far.

Quick question: have you played Link's Awakening? And if so, did you play it before or after LttP? I've found a lot of people with similar opinions about LttP, and all of them have either never played Link's Awakening or played it long after they tried LttP.
Nope, besides spending a day at friend's house playing some Zelda back in the 80s, Four Swords Adventure is the only other 2D game I've played. I enjoyed FSA though.

RagnarokX

So I've heard.

The part before this bullshit was awesome. The whole stuff...you know what I mean.

That was powerful Zelda shit right there. Some of the best cut scenes in the history of the franchise...and then it just punches itself right in the cock.

A disturbing trend that has happened throughout the entire 40 hour run so far.

I don't think 2 10-20 minute things contribute as much to that 40 hours as you are making them out to be.

The stealth one was kinda fun. Easy but not terrible. The Tadtones wasn't bad either, it just would have been better as a sidequest.

oatmeal

Banned
I don't think 2 10-20 minute things contribute as much to that 40 hours as you are making them out to be.

The stealth one was kinda fun. Easy but not terrible. The Tadtones wasn't bad either, it just would have been better as a sidequest.

It's a momentum killer, and will probably keep me from ever playing through the whole game again.

Takes a great cinematic and then pulls the rug out from under you.

It would be a better game if they just said fuck it, here you go, keep going...and didn't do this revisiting crap.

maharg

idspispopd
cawlin not getting the girl and being tormented each night by a ghost hand is at least funny though

Molested is more the word I would use. Just a little too rapey for my taste, I guess. And as for the other ending, I just find it really sad the idea that Dude A's love letter should be the catalyst for Dude B's getting the girl the love letter was for. Even if I don't really like Dude A very much, it's just really depressing no matter how lovey dovey it is for Dude B and Girl.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
An hour and a half into it. Oozes charm. Flying takes some getting used to. Swordplay is fun. That is all.

Molested is more the word I would use. Just a little too rapey for my taste, I guess. And as for the other ending, I just find it really sad the idea that Dude A's love letter should be the catalyst for Dude B's getting the girl the love letter was for. Even if I don't really like Dude A very much, it's just really depressing no matter how lovey dovey it is for Dude B and Girl.
The moral of the story seems to be don't be an entitled unrepentant asshole.

Nintendo themes are very strange.

AniHawk

i just like how unexpectedly and totally, completely dark it goes for him. not only does he repeatedly and explicitly tell you not to use it as toilet paper, but after you do it, he's haunted every night, and doesn't get the girl. the real kicker for you being such a dick is that you're rewarded for it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Guess I was one of the few that liked the
stealth section

Had no trouble at all with it. Wasn't spotted once, worked out how to approach each enemy perfectly. I think Gamespot complained quite a bit about this section, but judging by their terrible performance in their video footage I now know why Nintendo felt the need to handhold in this game.

Mistle

My initial pre-game worries of the world being small are squashed. This game feels huge. The sky area feels small, but the surface areas just keep expanding and expanding the more the game progresses. And no space feels empty, every bit of land has something to do and has a purpose. It feels so polished.

I'm going to the new areas currently in the desert (pre dungeon 5) which make for the best desert in a Zelda game yet. And every dungeon so far has been brilliant, feeling like an expansion of the world rather than just a secluded dungeon.

Haven't even been to the new Eldin areas yet, so hopefully they're cool too. I'm just glad that my main worry of a Zelda with a small "scope" was wrong. I still wish there was a snow area though :p would have been great with the SS artstyle.

one_kill

I just finished the first boss fight and I thought I did pretty bad. I was doing OK during the first phase of the fight, but I almost died twice in the second phase. Hopefully I'll get better.

Top Bottom