• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Has a first boss ever been this tough before? It's almost oulandish hearing so many people dying against a first boss in a Zelda game...
It's not that tough. It's just the first, real test of your skills with the controls. You can get by most stuff before him with waggle, but try against him and he'll kick your ass.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's not that tough. It's just the first, real test of your skills with the controls. You can get by most stuff before him with waggle, but try against him and he'll kick your ass.

Its not even waggle I think, he teaches you one important lesson: go slow. I got my ass kicked because my instinct was to swing every time I knew an opening was coming, without taking the time to size up the situation. Once I slowed it down I was fine and (semi-late game spoilers)
I beat him in Dungeon 6 on my first try

Yeah, I guess I just find it interesting that they put up a first boss as a wall.

If we are to compare it to OoT, by the time you reach Queen Gohma, Z-targeting is already second nature and Gohma was pretty much all eye-candy as you kill it in no time.

Of course the combat of SS is way more complicated than z-targeting. I do appreciate that they inserted such a test to a boss fight, the perfect place really (bosses are bosses for a reason god damnit!).

D-Pad

I feel like a pro. Having only died once the entire game (and on a mini boss which I thought required thrust moves, but later learned you could do an upward swipe for the same effect).

Thanks for the help with the 'potion thing', btw.

olimpia84

I'm taking it slow with this game and just finished the third dungeon last night. So far it's my least favorite dungeon but it was a fun nevertheless. Great game so far

maharg

idspispopd
Has a first boss ever been this tough before? It's almost oulandish hearing so many people dying against a first boss in a Zelda game...

I don't really see why people found him so hard... He mostly just stands there. Avoiding him is pretty easy and his patterns are pretty obvious.

Killing him takes a long time because, as said, it's the first test of the controls, but I really don't get why anyone would almost die.

One thing I've noticed in this game so far is the ridiculous abundance of hearts in boss chambers. Along with the relative dearth of fairies to capture and bottle.

olimpia84

I think I 'died' once during the first boss battle but had a fairy in a bottle so technically I didn't :p

The key is to be patient and observe his moves which I clearly didn't at first.

Red

I don't really see why people found him so hard... He mostly just stands there. Avoiding him is pretty easy and his patterns are pretty obvious.

Killing him takes a long time because, as said, it's the first test of the controls, but I really don't get why anyone would almost die.

One thing I've noticed in this game so far is the ridiculous abundance of hearts in boss chambers. Along with the relative dearth of fairies to capture and bottle.
The first boss took me maybe two minutes. I think the reason people are struggling is the unfamiliar controls. They are used to "attack the weak point," not "rely on your own skill and dexterity."

Most other bosses, even in Skyward Sword, rely on a combination of pattern recognition and a clever use of that dungeon's item. But not this guy. It's about being faster than him, and that's basically it.

A new concept for the series.

Let me in

In dungeon six, I just got
the mogma mitts.
Am I dumb for thinking this is the coolest thing ever?

I like how most of the dungeons are limited in how many levels there are. The dungeons are fun without having to look at the map every step of the way.

JoeFu

Banned
help! how do I
call my bird ? I just fall into the sky and get rescued. i need to get to that beam of light

wow, guessing you didn't pay attention? The game tells you like 3 times how to do it before the contest thing... Press down on the D pad when you run off a wooden plank.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
help! how do I
call my bird ? I just fall into the sky and get rescued. i need to get to that beam of light

Definitely make sure to run off the wood plank when on Skyloft. It took me a few tries to remember this, because on the other islands in the sky, you just jump from anywhere.

ksamedi

help! how do I

You can't call your bird when you run of a random point in Skyloft. You have to run off those wooden planks. There is one near the light house, for example.

I'm a little surprised that people are dying in the first boss battle because the boss rarely attacks you. Even if you struggle to get your sword past
his hand
(which takes a bit longer to "lock" into position than I expected), he doesn't deal out any damage until the second stage, during which he telegraphs opportunities to block or dodge as much as any Zelda boss.

Daft_Cat

Does this pick up? I just finished the first dungeon..which was fun..but so far Skyward Sword is boring me to tears.

I loved the intro, but the second Link lands in Faron Woods..it's been down hill. It's just that I feel like there's no exploration. So far it's fairly linear; there seems to be one set path. It's kind of like Majora's Mask taken one step to far. At least in that game you still felt like you had an incredibly detailed overworld to explore. Here it's just "empty sky, 3 linear levels". That's the problem I suppose..most Zelda games immerse you in a world. Skyward Sword feels like it's a series of levels. Level 1: Skyloft, Level 2: Forest..etc.

I've heard from a friend that it picks up in the second half..but he's a Nintendo fanboy, so I don't really place much weight on his opinion. I trust GAF though..

Should I keep going? Or have I experienced enough to know if it's for me or not (I'm roughly 5 hours in, just got to the Death Mountain clone).

For reference, my past 3D Zelda rankings: WW < MM < OoT < TP. Differences are minimal, really. I typically love Zelda.

So far, Skyward Sword is easily my least favourite. Although, I am pleasantly surprised at the deeper characters and stronger emphasis on a story. Love the art as well. My complaints are all structural. The game kind of reminds me of SMG2 with Zelda gameplay...if that makes any sense.

Do you call your bird, or just
fly into the beam
?

Do a running leap off of any wooden plank into the sky. If you did it right Link should be skydiving. Then press down on the D-Pad to call your bird. From there, fly to the beam of light and press down on the D-Pad to dismount your bird when you fly over the beam to fall into it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
In terms of engrossing you in the world, the next area does a pretty good job, especially the residents of that area as they do something pretty rare in most Zelda games
They travel around the world

Does this pick up? I just finished the first dungeon..which was fun..but so far Skyward Sword is boring me to tears.

I loved the intro, but the second Link lands in Faron Woods..it's been down hill. It's just that I feel like there's no freedom. So far it feels linear; there seems to be one set path and no real sense of exploration. It's kind of like Majora's Mask taken one step to far. At least in that game you still felt like you had an incredibly detailed overworld to explore. Here it's just "empty sky, 3 linear levels". That's the problem I suppose..most Zelda games immerse you in a world. Skyward Sword feels like it's a series of levels. Level 1: Skyloft, Level 2: Forest..etc.

I've heard from a friend that it picks up in the second half..but he's a Nintendo fanboy, so I don't really place much weight on his opinion. I trust GAF though..

Should I keep going? Or have I experienced enough to know if it's for me or not (I'm roughly 5 hours in, just got to the Death Mountain clone).

For reference, my past 3D Zelda rankings: WW < MM < OoT < TP. Differences are minimal, really. I typically love Zelda.

So far, Skyward Sword is easily my least favourite. Although, I am pleasantly surprised at the deeper characters and stronger emphasis on a story.

SS is the most linear Zelda. There is very little sense of freedom or exploration compared to previous games. However, many people feel the third region is the strongest, so you may as well hang on and see if that engages you more than Eldin. The game world is not going to open up and encourage more exploration, but it may appeal to other parts of your gamer-brain.

Daft_Cat

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like area 3 will be the deal breaker either way. I'll keep playing. It's not that I don't like the game, it's just that so far I'm finding it to be a decidedly mixed bag. Adore some elements, turned off by others.

I was feeling a bit nostalgic for TP and all its open vistas, but then I remembered the wolf sequences, and everything returned to normal =P.

okay I managed to take a running leap of the wood plank and started skydiving but there's no way I can call my bird. where the heck is it ? thanks in advance.

Bruiserk

Im almost done finding (post dungeon 6 spoilers)
the last piece of the song of the hero.
by the end of this, I don't think i will have enjoyed it more than TP. SS feels focused, refined, and overall a more linear Zelda. When it's good, it's really good. Although it does feel like the origins story it should be, the scope of the game just doesn't feel as big as TP. also, I'm not really enjoying the music. Will update once I beat the game, which I'm aiming to do this weekend before its crunch time for finals.

Funny moment last night for me
I just returned the sacred water to the dragon and I was expecting some kind of treasure chest or shrine behind the waterfall, then she started talking about monsters being down there, then I'm like "oh shit is this the next dungeon?". Then I started walking down and the music cued. Didn't see that coming at all

Effect

Going slow against the first boss is indeed the best way to go. Especially once you realize the speed the boss is moving at. Since it's a boss people could naturally tense up and prepare for the worse. At least that is how it was for me. I had a "Yeah lets do this" feeling. Looking back though I realize I didn't need to fight the boss the way I did and could have approach the fight a lot differently. I actually think I made the fight harder on myself.

I won the race and got the sword & sheild and I see the beam of light yeah.

It's the same thing you did in the race. You sprint off the wooden plank (and make sure you're sprinting [holding down the A button], otherwise you will just fall and be rescued), Link will do a swan dive, and while he's diving through the air you press down on the d-dpad.

I died against the first boss because I instinctively attacked before knowing HOW to attack. Twilight Princess taught me to just shake the remote back and forth and it will all be ok. Not so in SS.

Top Bottom