• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Hiltz

I finished the third dungeon today. It's the most interesting one so far and the dungeon gadget is pretty cool too. A shame the boss wasn't that exciting, but at least it wasn't as much of a pushover when compared to some of the early bosses in Twilight Princess. The
Beamos
enemy is satisfying to kill thanks to the swordplay controls.

The part where Link' skydiving and
unexpectedly sees Groose above him
was amusing. Also, the
Imprisoned boss
battle was easy but a lot of fun.

The Lamp

The game peaked at third dungeon and now that I'm at the sixth dungeon the dungeons are just getting shorter and easier with more and more segments of unnecessary backtracking between them.
seriously? you're too lazy to fly the damn water up to the summit so you want to fly BEHIND ME all the way up to the summit? who the hell thought going back up this mountain with more enemies was fun? Give me a new pathway or something, jeez, but all the way up the damn mountain the exact same way I've gone up before? kill me.

And what's with the sparse narrative? I haven't heard of any of the main characters or storyline since the third dungeon and I'm almost done with the sixth. It's getting lonely not having anybody besides this stupid sword robot.

The game peaked at third dungeon and now that I'm at the sixth dungeon the dungeons are just getting shorter and easier with more and more segments of unnecessary backtracking between them.
seriously? you're too lazy to fly the damn water up to the summit so you want to fly BEHIND ME all the way up to the summit? who the hell thought going back up this mountain with more enemies was fun? Give me a new pathway or something, jeez, but all the way up the damn mountain the exact same way I've gone up before? kill me.

And what's with the sparse narrative? I haven't heard of any of the main characters or storyline since the third dungeon and I'm almost done with the sixth. It's getting lonely not having anybody besides this stupid sword robot.
I felt the same way. The third dungeon was definitely the highlight for me, and from then onward it just felt like they ran out of good ideas.

Red

If it's not the same it's clearly inspired by it enough to maybe be there for the fans, I mean they're both essentially atop Death Mountain and they're both tall, layered structures.

I mean this is straight from ALTTP

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk1fbhlfLl1qbcswco1_500.png

And to me looks very close to the one in SS. Again they may not be the same building, but they're situated in a very similar geography, both in the same mountain region. Also, different time periods and stuff... we've seen the same places across various games taking different looks.

Okay, I'll concede.

Branduil

Post-6th dungeon:

Just beat Levious. Don't tell me if I'm right, but I think that the old woman at the Sealed Temple is Impa after thousands of years.

Red

Late game spoilers:

Why does it say True Master Sword when you retrieve your sword from Eldin after the stealth section? Are there fakes lying around somewhere?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Late game spoilers:

Why does it say True Master Sword when you retrieve your sword from Eldin after the stealth section? Are there fakes lying around somewhere?

It says that name as well when you get all the
3 flames

RagnarokX

Late game spoilers:

Did you miss the part when Zelda upgrades it from the Master Sword into the True Master Sword?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Damn, stuck in dungeon 6

just helped the Mogma who gives you the piece of heart, now I'm looking down off of a balcony and I've got three dragon heads below me that need to spew lava to make the raft move. How do I get them to activate?

Damn, stuck in dungeon 6

just helped the Mogma who gives you the piece of heart, now I'm looking down off of a balcony and I've got three dragon heads below me that need to spew lava to make the raft move. How do I get them to activate?

There's a hidden burrow hole around there above the three dragon heads platform. A statue or bomb flower is hiding it pretty well. It took me forever to find it.

Poyunch

Bathroom sidequest dilemma. You all know what I'm talking about.

Who should I give it to? I know both give gratitude crystals but still.

Very, very close to the end. Just beat
Ghirahim after he reveals he's the spirit of Demise's sword or whatever. Demise just left and challenged me to come at him, and I'm all "I'm hurt and shit and I seem to remember there being a stool to sit on in the Temple of Hylia so I think I'm going to go have myself a nice sit." And then I saved. I'll leave beating it for tomorrow I think.

Got all the Heart Pieces, Gratitude Crystals, Goddess Cubes, Bottles, Medals, everything. I think I'm raring to go.
It's incredibly lame that you can't have a full two rows of hearts without the Life Medals. I'm a completionist and I do not feel right if I don't have two complete rows at the end of a Zelda so I have to lug these two cheater hearts with me... *grumble grumble*

Yeah, theyre awful. Really easy and tedious and a general waste of time. How these sections test your courage, wisdom and is beyond me.

This is why we will never have a Zelda game that is mostly unanimously agreed to be good

Because two people will look at the same thing and one will decide it's great and the other will decide it's crap.

MechaX

Hm... After getting past that segment, it wasn't that bad. If anything, it turned to a half-baked parkour sequence in terms of getting to the seeds in succession.

And now I essentially get to a character that drops a Zelda 1 reference. Yeah, I think I'm done for the night.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
My one disappointment with the Silent Realm is that they didn't actually test courage, wisdom, and power. I would have liked if the Wisdom one was puzzle based, and the Power one was combat based or something.

Do you guys have any tips on skydiving? I can't get to that stupid
birds' nest in skyloft

The trick is that, whatever level the wiimote is when you actually start skydiving, that is what the wiimote considers "0".

So if you're already tilted forward when you jump or just before it decides skydiving has officially started, you have to tilt way more to get in.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Do you guys have any tips on skydiving? I can't get to that stupid
birds' nest in skyloft

Have it tilted straight and down pretty far right after you leap, you should go fast enough. It's really awkward because of the transition where link is essentially super jumping horizontally extremely far, I never felt that comfortable with it and had to try that jump a couple times.

AniHawk

Yeah, theyre awful. Really easy and tedious and a general waste of time. How these sections test your courage, wisdom and is beyond me.

well unlike tp they weren't placed wherever. there were also rules to them like, these seeds will let you see others on the map. thanks to new obstacles and a lack of offense, it made you think more strategically about how to go about the map in skyward sword. in twilight princess, it introduced you to areas you rarely returned to. in skyward sword, it switches up the design of a place you might have thought you were familiar with.

i wouldn't want a full game of them or whatever, but to me they were as improved as st's megadungeon compared to ph's megadungeon.

AniHawk

Are there
crazy
people out there that really think OOT and LTTP are bad?

lttp pales to link's awakening and the minish cap. oot pales to almost every one of the subsequent 3d games.

there are only two or three actually bad zelda games though and those aren't them

JoeFu

Banned
Are there
crazy

I never thought I would meet someone who wouldn't play Wind Waker because of the graphics, but I did recently... made me cry a little inside. There's people out there that will hate anything, so I bet you there is someone who thinks both games are garbage.

Mistle

I felt the same way. The third dungeon was definitely the highlight for me, and from then onward it just felt like they ran out of good ideas.
I'm approaching the 5th dungeon now... and saying that they ran out of ideas after the 3rd is nuts. So many cool things have happened since the 3rd dungeon, and I haven't even finished the game yet.

The Lamp said:
Yeah, I would have liked some more narrative and cutscenes for the mid-game areas, specially as SS does it so well.

JoeFu

Banned
I loved the
Silent Realm
sections. Freaking tense.

Yup, I had the most trouble on the second one
Stupid waking water or whatever it's called and that stupid cart... I died like 4 times in Lanaryu and didn't fail too much, only once in Skyloft and once in Eldin

Anth0ny

lttp pales to link's awakening and the minish cap. oot pales to almost every one of the subsequent 3d games.

there are only two or three actually bad zelda games though and those aren't them

The sky dungeon is probably my favorite 2D Zelda dungeon of all time, but I'm still not sure about this.

I brought up OOT and LTTP because I have a hard time finding negative traits about them. People don't like the 3 day system in MM (even though it's genius). People don't like the graphics, dungeons, water travel and triforce quest in Wind Waker. People don't like the shitty intro, wolf link, and uninteresting overworld in Twilight Princess. And now, with SS, people don't like the hand holding, Fi, motion controls, the overworld...

Not sure what Nintendo has to do here.

fernoca

Are there
crazy
Well, yeah. :p

Like, random example from MetaCritic:

(Ocarina of Time)

QM8L5.png

[x]Long/boring intro
[x]Bland forest-stage
[x]Blame Nintendo (apparently it was Nintendo's fault that the Rygar remake wasn't good)
[x]Fun can't be measured, therefore...the game's not fun.

But yeah, what Alberto said is similar to what I mentioned in the TP vs. SS thread.
The thing is that in the end, there's never going to be "that" Zelda game.
What makes one Zelda game "perfect" to some, is what makes it the worst to others. Many liked the relatively open-aspect of the first one and the lack of directions, and would like to see a game with that again; others like more focused dungeons, others like the exploration, the quests, the non-playable characters...and the list goes on.

Look at the recent re-released of the original Zelda games and how many couldn't understand how people played and beat the first game back then, without directions or hints...or maps. When others loved that, and heck I know I wasn't the only one that drew maps in notebooks to find out ways around. :p

And that's the problem. What makes one Zelda game great, changes so much across people; that the next game could take a bullet-point list and be whatever the ones that prefer Twilight Princess want; and completely alienate those that preferred Skyward Sword. Or even add that same bullet-points and technically make Twilight Princess 2, and be accused for not taking risks or changing things...or if they make Skyward Sword 2 and, well the same.

In the end, I guess I'm just happy that after 25 years we're still getting Zelda games that are great. That may not be to everyone's liking, but well..no Zelda games has ever been to everyone's liking. If the next one is technically Skyward Sword 2, well..great, since I loved Skyward Sword. If it is Twilight Princess 2, then awesome.. more Twilight Princess.
Basically, the "perfect Zelda game" is different from people to people, so the next Zelda game is always going to be disappointing to some simply because those expectations for "that" game won't ever be realized. And if they are, you bet that another group will talk about how disappointing said game was; for those specific reasons.

They can make an open world Zelda game with full customization over Link, no sense of direction, and full exploration; and put aside the ones that prefer smaller more dense segments and like some sense of direction....and so on.

Papercuts

I maanged to beat all of the Silent Realms on my first try, but I have no idea how I pulled that off on the last one. I pulled off some miraculous shit.

Also, the best zelda game is potentially already forthcoming!
Majora's Mask 3D! :D

I hope.

I have a question about the (late game optional item spoilers)
Hylian Shield
:
Why does it have a meter? Is there something I'm missing? Because even when it takes a bad hit, the meter doesn't decrease. I mean, I know it's indestructible, but is there any point to its meter being on the screen?

Papercuts

I have a question about the (late game optional item spoilers)
Hylian Shield
:
Why does it have a meter? Is there something I'm missing? Because even when it takes a bad hit, the meter doesn't decrease. I mean, I know it's indestructible, but is there any point to its meter being on the screen?

I have no idea. Don't think it had a purpose.

Top Bottom