• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

You can't just walk off...

Dash. Just press A and run and jump from the ledge while pressing A

I am, I can do that just fine now, but I cannot call the bird no matter what I butten I press (yes the d-pad). and Fi is useless, and she tells me is where the
beam of light is.

Red

I am, I can do that just fine now, but I cannot call the bird no matter what I butten I press (yes the d-pad). and Fi is useless, and she tells me is where the
beam of light is.
So what you're doing is holding A to dash, jumping off a wood platform while dashing, and pressing down on the d pad while you're in freefall?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
  1. Find a wooden ledge just like the one you used for the race.
  2. Run up to the ledge and jump off.
  3. Link will plunge.
  4. Press down on the d-pad

Guevara

I don't know what it is but [late game item spoiler]
the bow and arrow
gets out of whack constantly for me. Nintendo did a good job including the option to recenter on the fly by hitting up on the dpad. I'm recentering every 2 or 3 uses.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Yeah, I guess I just find it interesting that they put up a first boss as a wall.

If we are to compare it to OoT, by the time you reach Queen Gohma, Z-targeting is already second nature and Gohma was pretty much all eye-candy as you kill it in no time.

Of course the combat of SS is way more complicated than z-targeting. I do appreciate that they inserted such a test to a boss fight, the perfect place really (bosses are bosses for a reason god damnit!).
I really liked how they made the first boss as the first real test to combat. You're NOT supposed to mindlessly waggle in this game, so this guy kicks your ass if you try.

This test is particularly cute because it's also obvious that the boss
himself is just testing your skill, too

Red

I don't know what it is but [late game item spoiler]
the bow and arrow
gets out of whack constantly for me. Nintendo did a good job including the option to recenter on the fly by hitting up on the dpad. I'm recentering every 2 or 3 uses.
Doesn't it recenter every time you use it? Are you trying to point at the screen to aim?

rhino4evr

I'm just about to enter Dungeon 3, and I have to say the gameplay has definitely improved in last few hours. I will definitely have a few nitpicks when I'm finished, but for now I'm pretty impressed.

Question : why does this game tell me I have low batteries when I clearly dont. I was able to play or almost 5 hours (on three separate sessions) with that little red battery bar blinking.

What are the bullseyes for? There is a Goddess Cube I want to activate in Faron Woods but I can't get to it and there's a bullseye nearby but my slingshot has no effect on it.

I'm just about to enter Dungeon 3, and I have to say the gameplay has definitely improved in last few hours. I will definitely have a few nitpicks when I'm finished, but for now I'm pretty impressed.

Question : why does this game tell me I have low batteries when I clearly dont. I was able to play or almost 5 hours (on three separate sessions) with that little red battery bar blinking.

Conspiracy with battery companies?

Are you playing with the new wimmote from the LE bundle? I've heard rumors saying it eats up batteries faster than normal, which may explain why it also warns the user earlier than normal.

Cwarrior

4th dungeon boss
url

Hiltz

Question time.

When you're given the
harp from Zelda
can you play it in front of the blessed butterflies in
Skyloft to trigger the appearance of Sheikah stones to get treasure from
? I tried doing it near the spot where you first meet that goofy bug lover kid but nothing happens. Is it only possible to do it when you're in the field environments, like near the Goron in Faron woods?

McNum

Just saved outside what I think is the 6th dungeon. But first, let me say this.
"Dear Scrapper. You malfunctioning little twerp! This is all your fault! You'd be malfunctioning within a day if it wasn't for me you nearsighted little scrap pile!" I do appreciate that Nintendo did give me a "Not this guy..." choice when Fi asked if she should call him. Ah, well. That bow and arrow got to show why it was useful, so that's a plus.

The rest of the lead-up to it was pretty good, though. The
Silent Realm was pretty good, the best tears are those you collect with a guardian in mid swing, and this Silent Realm delivered that a lot.

Well, next up, another dungeon. Most likely fire themed. After that? I have no idea, hopefully something big happens.

Smellycat

Question time.

When you're given the
harp from Zelda
can you play it in front of the blessed butterflies in
Skyloft to trigger the appearance of Sheikah stones to get treasure from
? I tried doing it near the spot where you first meet that goofy bug lover kid but nothing happens. Is it only possible to do it when you're in the field environments, like near the Goron in Faron woods?

I tried that, but it didn't work. But, there are a couple of other places on Skyloft that trigger stones.
The first one is on the waterfall island, and the second is actually a merchant stone that can be found at night time in the waterfall cave

Red

I tried that, but it didn't work. But, there are a couple of other places on Skyloft that trigger stones.
The first one is on the waterfall island, and the second is actually a merchant stone that can be found at night time in the waterfall cave
Oh shit secrets

I didn't know about that. Will have to check it out.

I wish there were more, tougher silent realm sections. Like a minigame or something, for rewards.

Hiltz

Thanks for the tip.

sasimirobot

wtf. took me and my friend 6 beers and 5 hours to beat the 4th dungeon. took our time and loved it. he is a bro gamer and towards the end he was solving the puzzles faster than me, I have played every zelda except MM and the CDi ones...I suck

Branduil

Okay, the Tadtones
are officially the worst part of the game. Maybe the worst part of any Zelda game ever. How did this DK 64 crap make it past playtesting?

Anth0ny

Okay, the Tadtones
are officially the worst part of the game. Maybe the worst part of any Zelda game ever. How did this DK 64 crap make it past playtesting?

It's the combination of them and motion+ swimming controls that makes it so unbearable.

But I'm not sure if it's worse than the intro to Twilight Princess. Or the triforce quest in Wind Waker. It's definitely up there, though.

MisterHero

Is there any convenient guide for knowing exactly what to draw on
Goddess Walls? I know Heart = Hearts, Rupee = Rupees, Triforce = fairies, and such, but for example when I draw Triforce I get Bombs.

I mostly want rupees, but I want to know exactly what all the shapes are supposed to look like.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The
Bow and Arrow
is fantastic. I honestly think
motion aiming is better then IR aiming. Its so effortless to pull up the bow and take out enemies in quick shots even while moving

Is there any convenient guide for knowing exactly what to draw on
Goddess Walls? I know Heart = Hearts, Rupee = Rupees, Triforce = fairies, and such, but for example when I draw Triforce I get Bombs.

I mostly want rupees, but I want to know exactly what all the shapes are supposed to look like.
Go to the Sheikah Stone in Skyloft outside the sparring building and check out the extras menu. There's a video showing exactly what to draw.

Dungeon 5 complete. Easily my favorite one so far even if the boss wasn't as good as 4. Though it does help that I love
pirate ship stages

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I don't get tightrope walking at all. Everything else is cool.

Don't just hold it straight vertically, tilt side to side as Link begins to tilt. You'll continue walking without Link having to stop and go 'whooaa'.

Just wait until you get to one of the Wiimote minigames later. Bwahaha.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I have no idea. I got the low battery warnings from the third dungeon to the post 6th where they finally died. It would have clearly been stupid for me to change it when it told me.

Berordn

I have no idea. I got the low battery warnings from the third dungeon to the post 6th where they finally died. It would have clearly been stupid for me to change it when it told me.

Motion+ seems to throw the battery estimate for a loop. Mine worked for about 10 hours when Fi started warning me.

(I did like how she started speaking slower the worse the batteries got, as though she was losing power, even though that was really, really annoying later on.)

Game is sick! I'm on the 3rd dungeon there now.. just starting it..

So far lovin it though :) I'll be playing through this thing allllll the way. Sucks i go back to work for 6 starting tomorrow! oh well.. xmas is soon here :) should be fun for the kids.

My two year old son watches me play zelda and i let him swing the wii remote to cut grass haha he enjoys that :p

Top Bottom