• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Sagitario

The game froze 3 times [exactly on the same spots] while loading during the second song quest in Eldin Volcano... odd for a Nintendo game :|

Anyone notice weird visuals effects whenever in the sky? They look similar to artifacts and I'm not sure if its my TV or its part of the games filter...

Can anyone comment on this?

SaintZ

I beat the 4th Dungeon. The fight against
Kolotkos
was so fun! I don't know why I enjoyed it so much. So far I like SS a lot more than TP, to be honest. The thing that annoys me the most about the game so far is trying to catch the bugs. I swear, that net is evil.

Sagitario

Also, FREAKING
TADNOTES
*! Not fun swimming mechanics. Stupid collectathon. Totally unnecessary and out of place/forced.

*Post 6th dungeon quest.

damn, yet another bug...

After the third time, I tried to do something slightly different so it wouldn't happen again. It worked. So glad there are many many bird statues.

I beat the 4th Dungeon. The fight against
Kolotkos
was so fun! I don't know why I enjoyed it so much. So far I like SS a lot more than TP, to be honest. The thing that annoys me the most about the game so far is trying to catch the bugs. I swear, that net is evil.

Even with the bigger net? It's a piece of cake with it.

The Lamp

It's the combination of them and motion+ swimming controls that makes it so unbearable.

But I'm not sure if it's worse than the intro to Twilight Princess. Or the triforce quest in Wind Waker. It's definitely up there, though.

How on earth are people having so much trouble with swimming? You tilt the remote in the direction to swim and shake the nunchuck to spin. It requires less thought than an ascend/descend button and an analog stick.

For that matter, I don't know why people have a problem with sword thrusting, either. It has worked 100% of the time that I've attempted it. You just thrust lol

SaintZ

Sagitario said:
Even with the bigger net? It's a piece of cake with it.
Oh, I was talking about the regular net, I haven't upgraded any items so far. It's like possessed when I try to catch a freaking bug, so annoying! I'll try upgrading it when I get back to the game.

Anyone notice weird visuals effects whenever in the sky? They look similar to artifacts and I'm not sure if its my TV or its part of the games filter...

Can anyone comment on this?
Are they verticle lines? If so, it's called verticle banding. Nothing you can do about it, for some reason it has been more noticeable on the last 3 Zelda games (WW, TP and now SS) compared to the other games on the system. Varries a lot depending on what TV you got as well.

Tuck

How on earth are people having so much trouble with swimming? You tilt the remote in the direction to swim and shake the nunchuck to spin. It requires less thought than an ascend/descend button and an analog stick.

For that matter, I don't know why people have a problem with sword thrusting, either. It has worked 100% of the time that I've attempted it. You just thrust lol

This. Swimming controls were great, and the sword thrust wasn't ever a problem for me.

If people can't do it they need to go back to Lttp and study the basics!

thrustme.gif

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
You're going to need to learn part of a song from Lanayru, after you do, stick around and talk to the person who taught you that part of the song

Oh there? Good. Nah I am post
Dungeon 7, I take it you mean the Dragon right?

Tuck

*hours later*

someone help.

I still cannot locate the damn
kiwis

They aren't out in the open. Each of them are off the trail. use the dowsing to find out the area they are in, then look around. You may need to climb, crawl, etc.

EDIT: ...you meant Kikwis, right?

fernoca

Though, regarding the "sword thrust"...
I guess some have problems with it, because they try to do it while moving Link (i.e. the analog stick) in any direction. It was the same mistake I did at first.

To do it, you have to either auto-lock or not, but don't move the analog stick in any direction. Just stay there, make the "thrust movement" :)p) with the Wiimote...and there you go; works 100%.

Sober

Just finished dungeon 6, and I have to say the second set of three are much more fun, with dungeon 3 being the best of the first bunch.

I upgraded a ton of stuff including my Sacred Shield to the last one, just a question though, is there another shield
because I believe a Sheikah stone told me there is supposed to be on in Lanayru if I past some trial or something?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Semi-late game spoilers:
The Second Imprisoned Fight

Why are there
Area of Effect attacks in a game without a jump button?
why? why? why?

McNum

Sixth dungeon down, and it's exposition time!
So Zelda was behind that door the entire time? But... that crystal looks cracked in the present. Not good.

Also, Link is now qualified to wield the Triforce? Cool, I wonder if that's just the endgame macguffin as usual, or if I actually get to do something with it. But first it must be found, and that requires... a big tub of pumpkin soup? Okay...

(Sixth dungeon spoilers)
A fun idea for a dungeon, even if that mogma you have to catch underground was a bit of a pain. It took me a while to realize I could stab the water flowers to pick them up, but from then on, it was good. The boss was not who I expected. I had thought the rematch with Ghirahim would come later, but it was a welcome fight. I do think I did phase 1 the stupid way, by just deflecting those diamonds back at him, but I couldn't get a hit with the sword. The last part was much easier. Also, I double-dare him to grab my blade next time we meet. True Master Sword, can only be wielded by Link, is deadly to demons. Come on, G, try me. Steal THAT.

Well, it's still good fun, but I've heard that now is the boring part. Also, is this where I need to watch what order I do things in, so I don't get glitched?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Okay, I'm up to
Eldin Volcano
and holy fuck was it frustrating trying to
find the pieces to the key for the temple. If it wasn't for Game FAQs I never would have found them. The funny thing is that for the last 2 pieces, the dowsing function didn't work, even though I was right next to them!
I really hope the game doesn't continue in this manner.

Diffense

On the first boss encounter topic, I have to admit that I died once.
The technique I was using was
side-stepping his charge and counterattacking. But he recovers really quickly and I didn't always get a hit in.
The second time I discovered
blocking with the shield lol. That dazes him and gives a slighty longer window of opportunity.
Of course, you'll always lose a heart or two if you're too late.
Overall, I'd say that he's a harder first boss than in most recent zeldas.
I don't think any other boss killed me again until Dungeon 4's
Koloktos

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
On the first boss encounter topic, I have to admit that I died once.
The technique I was using was
side-stepping his charge and counterattacking. But he recovers really quickly and I didn't always get a hit in.
The second time I discovered
blocking with the shield lol. That dazes him and gives a slighty longer window of opportunity.
Of course, you'll always lose a heart or two if you're too late.
Overall, I'd say that he's a harder first boss than in most recent zeldas.
I don't think any other boss killed me again until Dungeon 4's
Koloktos

You can pretty easily backflip the attack and hit him. He broke my shield, lol.

I didn't die on any of the bosses, but I was the closest on the first one. Only had one heart when I beat it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sixth dungeon down, and it's exposition time!
So Zelda was behind that door the entire time? But... that crystal looks cracked in the present. Not good.

Also, Link is now qualified to wield the Triforce? Cool, I wonder if that's just the endgame macguffin as usual, or if I actually get to do something with it. But first it must be found, and that requires... a big tub of pumpkin soup? Okay...

(Sixth dungeon spoilers)
A fun idea for a dungeon, even if that mogma you have to catch underground was a bit of a pain. It took me a while to realize I could stab the water flowers to pick them up, but from then on, it was good. The boss was not who I expected. I had thought the rematch with Ghirahim would come later, but it was a welcome fight. I do think I did phase 1 the stupid way, by just deflecting those diamonds back at him, but I couldn't get a hit with the sword. The last part was much easier. Also, I double-dare him to grab my blade next time we meet. True Master Sword, can only be wielded by Link, is deadly to demons. Come on, G, try me. Steal THAT.

Well, it's still good fun, but I've heard that now is the boring part. Also, is this where I need to watch what order I do things in, so I don't get glitched?

Yeah, very cool cutscene. But, I don't really get
Hylia's plan. Okay, so Demise was successfully sealed away temporarily. Why didn't they just use the Triforce then? What need was there for Hylia to sacrifice herself and set this whole "centuries later" plan into motion?

McNum

Yeah, very cool cutscene. But, I don't really get
Hylia's plan. Okay, so Demise was successfully sealed away temporarily. Why didn't they just use the Triforce then? What need was there for Hylia to sacrifice herself and set this whole "centuries later" plan into motion?
I haven't finished the game yet, so I might be wrong, but
I believe Hylia said so much. You need TWO things to wield the Triforce. First, you must be mortal, gods can't use it, and secondly, you must have an unbreakable spirit with both wisdom, power and courage. The last part is very rare, but that is where Fi came in. Fi's purpose is to help the chosen hero purify his spirit so that he CAN wield the Triforce. Hylia herself cannot.

It's actually not a bad plan, really. Seal Demise as best you can, and crate a being who's sole purpose is to find and shape the hero who can ultimately defeat Demise by wielding the Triforce.

Basically, it boils down to that the Triforce is extremely picky.

apana

So I hit the
ten targets and then defeated the leviathan. Wow I was going psychotic with rage at all the times I missed the targets. I really wanted to choke the instructor guy and then kill that damn whale and eat it.
Am I now at that part that people were warning about? I have to end at Lanaryu Desert right but the other two I can do in any order?

edit: Damn it, do I seriously need to do this shit again?
Somebody needs to hold it together with magical duct tape.

Salih

Finally beat the game - took me ~44hrs for 100%

loved every bit of it. the very last dungeon is pure genius. it srsly blew my mind completely and the end bossfight was nothing short of epic.This is not only the best 3D Zelda but also one of the best games i have ever played.

the most beautiful part of the whole game was the scene
when you learn the last song. music+choir was incredible.

+ game looks stunning. i played a bit on the Wii but done my complete playthrough on Dolphin. Even the Wii Version looks just beautiful and the art-style even exceeds Windwaker ones.

+ animations are so smooth. especially in the cutscenes. never have i seen a Zelda game this 'lively'.

+ sword-fighting works and is so much more fun that way. I srsly couldn't go back to a Zelda without WM+. You really feel that you get better after each encounter and you really start to analyze your enemies more carefully. Best battle-system in any Zelda.

+ WM+ works also fine with every other items you use. Sometimes i needed to re-enter the cursor but thats pretty much it. The sensor bar also helps the WM+ to find its spot. Therefore i had no problems whatsoever.

+ Shield-meter is something that should have happened in a Zelda-game a long time ago. It really makes you fight even more cautiously against enemies.

+ you use your different items a lot during your journey. especially in the last dungeon.

+ level-design and dungeon design is amazing. the areas before reaching the actual dungeons are literally dungeons themselves.

+ cutscenes are very well made. really enjoyed every one of them. there are the funny ones and those who just makes you feel warm and fuzzy. but then again there are the more frightening but epic ones too.

+ orchestra soundtrack. great overworld-theme but so many great tunes over all: ballad of the goddess, Fi theme, Groose theme,
okami-esque Dragon
theme. Music is also very cool incorporated in some parts
(bazaar or when you try to get all notes from the the first dragon).

+ NPCs: i thinks this game has the best NPCs in any Zelda ever. Zelda, Groose, Ghirahim, Peatrice, Kina, Sparrot (Fortune Teller), flying merchant and many more. very loveable characters.

+ some side-quests have two different outcomes. i really like this idea. makes you want to play this game again. and most of the quests are really fun to do and you get good rewards.

+ epic fukkin bossfights. the last one but also on
Levias
and of course
Koloktos
. Best ones in any Zelda ever. Also mid-boss fights were so much too.

+ collecting stuff and upgrading your items, shields and potions was a lot of fun. sure it could be more complex but it was fine this way.

+ lengthy game with lots of side-quests can keep you up upto 40hours of gameplay.

+- sure there is no "real" overworld which damaged a bit the immersion. But the three big areas are huge and still very well made.

- i missed a magic bar. love magic bars in Zelda games. always loved and always will.

- dowsing is a bit weird at times. it can pretty much drive you nuts. you better off using your own brain.

- big fan of Links green tunic and another outfit would have been rad.

- the reward for getting all gratitude stars is dissapointing.

- the harp. i would have loved to learn and play those songs more actively.

What else is to say: as a big Zelda fan this is whole experience was pretty much fan-service all the way. I enjoyed taking my time with this game. Although Zelda-games don't change the formula radically they are still unique in the videogame business.Nothing really comes close to them and the reason probably is that noone can really match this kind of gameplay and level-design. Skyward Sword is a masterpiece - nothing more, nothing less.

Okay, I'm up to
Eldin Volcano
and holy fuck was it frustrating trying to
find the pieces to the key for the temple. If it wasn't for Game FAQs I never would have found them. The funny thing is that for the last 2 pieces, the dowsing function didn't work, even though I was right next to them!
I really hope the game doesn't continue in this manner.

Seriously? I found them all without ever using dowsing, took me maybe 20, 30 minutes tops. I just explored every area and used the (item spoiler)
digging mitts
. I'm amazed at the trouble people seem to be having with this game.

jackdoe

Haha. I just finished Dungeon 6, and the story took a very predictable turn.
This game's story is seriously a redressing of Ys. Evil demons spill forth from the earth, Goddess raises survivors into the sky, seals evil but loses powers along the way, hundreds of years later, evil comes back, destined warrior needs to defeat evil with legendary sword and bring land back down, with a main love interest who is actually the Goddess. I bet it ends the same way too. They really telegraph these plot twists. Hell, I'm 95% certain that the old lady is an old Impa who stood guard over Zelda for all those years.
But I'm still enjoying the story even if it is a bit predictable and the bosses have been a blast even if there have been repeats.

HeySeuss

Ok guys, this blew my mind. Did you know that you can
draw rupees on the skyward sword things in the dungeons instead of hearts?
Sorry is this was widely known, I just tried it on a whim and it worked.

ASIS

So I hit the
ten targets and then defeated the leviathan. Wow I was going psychotic with rage at all the times I missed the targets. I really wanted to choke the instructor guy and then kill that damn whale and eat it.
Am I now at that part that people were warning about? I have to end at Lanaryu Desert right but the other two I can do in any order?

edit: Damn it, do I seriously need to do this shit again?
Somebody needs to hold it together with magical duct tape.

For the love of god if you were going too fast SLOW DOWN! It's not hard at all!

And
I thought the third fight was the best IMO

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
MOTHER OF GOOOOOD!!

This Link is a fucking badass!!

Nearly end game... well I am sure I am AT the end. But... but... Jesus fuck Link was such a badass XD!

Mowing hundredths of goblins... and that epic EPIC Girahim boss fight.... and then... then... Demise. That face off was epic haha. That fight would have been impossible without the Hylian Shield

Uchip

Banned
MOTHER OF GOOOOOD!!

Nearly end game... well I am sure I am AT the end. But... but... Jesus fuck Link was such a badass XD!

Mowing hundredths of goblins... and that epic EPIC Girahim boss fight.... and then... then... Demise. That face off was epic haha. That fight would have been impossible without the Hylian Shield

I... died the first time on that
what is going on, isnt this zelda?
going to try it again soon

MOTHER OF GOOOOOD!!

Yep. First time in a Zelda game where it really feels like you're at war.

Top Bottom