• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Anth0ny

They probably talked to him during the Iwata Asks that covered the forest. I remember one of the guys saying the last time you go to the forest is unbelievable.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/zelda-skyward-sword/1/4

Seems Hiramuki was the one that said it.

Ito: Yes. And personally, I really like the character Fi.

Iwata:Fi is a character who goes with Link on his adventure and navigates.

Ito: That's right. We call the system Fi Captioning. For example, if you target various characters and enemies and call forth Fi, she will talk about them. And what she says is really funny. (laughs)

Iwata: Sometimes you learn things you wouldn't otherwise.

O_O

Wouldn't it be awesome if we discovered that they literally have this one guy making all the fetch quests in major Nintendo games. The Triforce pieces, the Tears of Light, Chozo Artifacts, Sky Temple Keys, etc.). He's just sitting at his desk creating an endless amount of tedious objects to throw inside any game he can get to.

I already hate him!

Thanks for the laugh. : P

The
Tadtone collecting
might have been more fun as an optional mini-game, but it was really weird to force such a nonsensical quest on the player like that.

Great scenery though, and the Kikwis are hilarious.

...I don't see how anyone could have a problem with the
Tadtones.

It takes less than 15 minutes if you focus. And that music! It's like Noki Bay!

boiled goose

good with gravy
Shame you dont get to play the lyre really.

The pipeflute in ST was annoying as fuck but playing the ocarina in OOT and MM was a ton of fun.
Shame they didnt implement that well in SS.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm not sure that the game even uses the sensor bar, does it?

Well some say that every time the Wiimote detects the sensor bar is auto re-calibrates the sword. The pointer just centres itself whenever you access it no matter where you are pointing. I think many make the mistake of moving the moment they go into pointer mode and then wonder why the centre is off.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
It doesn't. Sometimes the motionplus can get wonky due to wireless interference, although i've never had it happen to me though.

No it definitely does. For the tilt navigation at least like the beetle, it can get wonky if it doesn't see the sensor bar, but fixes itself if it does.

Tadtones.

I didn't have a huge problem with it either, although when it started I freaked out a little, actually doing it was not difficult or off-putting at all.

It was kinda cute really and I really enjoyed the environment.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't. Sometimes the motionplus can get wonky due to wireless interference, although i've never had it happen to me though.

Even the aiming doesn't use the sensor bar? Or selecting menu options at the bird statue?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Even the aiming doesn't use the sensor bar? Or selecting menu options at the bird statue?

Not at all. You can point anywhere. Like I said earlier I think people mistakingly believe you need to point at the screen so they move the remote to point at the tele and then wonder why the pointer is drifting off to one side. Its centre of origin is wherever the remote is pointing when you enter "pointer mode".

game redeemed after terrible part.

Lanayru Gorge section. nice. planting an IMPORTANT TREE, GEEEE... to get the fruit. cool. SONG OF THE HERO IS THE CLASSIC THEME. OMG. and then right before the Skyloft Silent Realm... OCARINA HYRULE FIELD THEME. OMG.

see Nintendo its not that hard to please a Zelda fan really.

Tadtones.

The music IS like Noki Bay, i knew it reminded me of something.
Despite my dislike for the swimming controls and some of the padding segments I didn't mind
tadtones
that much, I just feel there could have been significantly less of them to nab.
Clearly replaying Banjo Kazooie before Skyward Sword was the right call, Clanker's Cavern musical note collecting was like training in preparation for what was to come in SS

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Just picturing a huge open non-linear overworld in a Wind Waker setting is enough to make me drool. But there's 1% chance that we will ever get a sandbox Zelda again. Being one of Nintendo's main series there's no way they will sacrifice accessibility for a more hardcore exploring adventure. The only way I can see it happening would be if they somehow made a New Zelda series returning to the root of the franchise, but it would be a niche game presumely releasing on the Virual Console.
I don't think that it necessarily needs to be more hardcore. But I do think that they should put more emphasis on self-determination. I would like the experience of discovering whole areas by myself with only minimal direction in a completely open world. Outside of Wind Waker's ocean, there hasn't been a Zelda like this in a really long time. Even the 2D handheld Zeldas essentially restricted player access to certain parts of the world for much of the game.
Well some say that every time the Wiimote detects the sensor bar is auto re-calibrates the sword. The pointer just centres itself whenever you access it no matter where you are pointing. I think many make the mistake of moving the moment they go into pointer mode and then wonder why the centre is off.
Understanding how the controls work helps maximize your ability to exercise complete control over the game. If, for example, you enter first person in a position that does not afford you a full range of hand movements, then it's not going to feel properly centered. These difficulties might account for the widely divergent views regarding the controls. Very rarely have I actually felt the need to recalibrate anything.

I wonder if this has been pointed out, it involves a certain giant flying thing:
after I freed Levias, he seems to be making a certain sound that the bosses made in the original Zelda when you get close to them in the dungeons...

They probably talked to him during the Iwata Asks that covered the forest. I remember one of the guys saying the last time you go to the forest is unbelievable.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/zelda-skyward-sword/1/4

Seems Hiramuki was the one that said it.

Hiramuki said:
If Asuke-san was a Mario type of guy, I was once a Pikmin guy, but now I've worked on The Legend of Zelda longer
fetchguy.jpg

Fuck that explains everything! Pikmin was nothing else than fetching objects! We need to stop him before he turns everything Nintendo game into nothing but fetch quests!

thatfetchguy.jpg

thatfetchguy2.jpg

So I think I found the correct term for my problem (vertical lines of discoloration in mono-hue areas).

Is it color banding? Does any one know how to fix it? Is it a hardware issue with my Wii? Is it a game issue? Is it a TV issue?

Please help, its driving me nuts!

Mistle

So I think I found the correct term for my problem (vertical lines of discoloration in mono-hue areas).

Is it color banding? Does any one know how to fix it? Is it a hardware issue with my Wii? Is it a game issue? Is it a TV issue?

Please help, its driving me nuts!
It's just an issue with how the Wii outputs I think. As there is no colour banding on Dolphin.

But nothing is "wrong" exactly. It's just what happens. I get it a little bit on my Panasonic Plasma. It's not really obvious however unless I'm looking into the sun.

^
^
Yup nothing you can do against vertical banding. For some reason it's more pronounced on the Zelda games, and depending on your TV the lines may be less/more visible.
Yeah I see the words "Skyward Sword" and then I just open it up. Ugh.
At least here the Punkin' Chunkin' title comes in handy as I will just skim for those words before entering the thread. Otherwise you can always enter via subscriptions to be completely sure.

Yeah I see the words "Skyward Sword" and then I just open it up. Ugh.

same here, and i also ended up seeing pictures too T______T

why didnt i leave like i said i would :( i have terrible self control..

There are some location spoilers at this link.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/zelda-skyward-sword/3/0

You have these guys to think for the desert being so awesome.

awesome. gonna bookmark it just in case i ruin something else for myself

but damn man. pre-dungeon 5 alone is enough to warrant the purchase of this game. fucking incredible, along with the later parts as well

jackdoe

So, I need to know who is responsible for the
tadtones
section, so that I can go to every length in an effort to ensure that they don't touch a future Zelda title with a ten foot pole. I love the game but I probably won't be replaying it anytime soon because of that part.

The scenery was really awesome but man, worst fetch quest in recent memory.
Seriously. The game would have been better without it.

Also, just beat the game and I have to say that the final boss has some of the prettiest visuals in the game.
The ending felt abrupt as hell though. Why would people still need to stay in Skyloft if the surface is relatively safe? And are they insinuating that Link and Zelda start the Hyrule royal family line? Shit, Fi talks up a storm and gives you answers to shit you already know, but they left the more important stuff quite vague.

Mistle

lanayru is seriously my favorite zelda area in any game ever. ive had nothing but pure fun everytime ive been there
it really is such an amazing area. although, I was hoping so bad that you would eventually
hit a stone that restored the whole area, but it never happened ;_; yet...

Rikkun

Seriously. The game would have been better without it.

Also, just beat the game and I have to say that the final boss has some of the prettiest visuals in the game.
The ending felt abrupt as hell though. Why would people still need to stay in Skyloft if the surface is relatively safe? And are they insinuating that Link and Zelda start the Hyrule royal family line? Shit, Fi talks up a storm and gives you answers to shit you already know, but they left the more important stuff quite vague.

Well, did you really expect something?

I bet Zelda ends up marrying Bado, that bitch. Also because otherwise would mean Zelda and Link in future games are.. brothers? Or blood related anyway?

Where's the spoiler topic :(

oatmeal

Banned
alright, Imma fly around for a bit and see if anything sticks out

That thing clicked instantly with me.

If you're not thinking about it, I can see how hard it would be to figure out.

But it was something I was wondering if they would pay off on...and they did. I thought they handled it very well.

PK Gaming

Yeah the tadtone collection fetch quest was vomit inducing, but what did you guys expect from the Water Dragon? She's an asshole.

jackdoe

Yeah the tadtone collection fetch quest was vomit inducing, but what did you guys expect from the Water Dragon? She's an asshole.
Haha. I mean, the whole idea behind it was so fucking stupid.
Prove you're a hero by searching for tadtones. Because swimming around for thirty minutes collecting stupid little critters is really heroic.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but some of you need to learn how to use spoiler tags.

How is anyone who hasn't beaten the game supposed to know whether it's safe or not to highlight a post containing nothing but a black bar? There's no indication where in the game or at which point in the game the spoiler is referring to...

Haha. I mean, the whole idea behind it was so fucking stupid.
Prove you're a hero by searching for tadtones. Because swimming around for thirty minutes collecting stupid little critters is really heroic.

The whole logic sucked.

Hey the goddes tests if you are worthy with those
tear-searching quests. Then when you did them you need to prove you are worthy to the dragons. Then you have to search for the triforce in that tower. If it is so super important that link wishes away demise, why would the goddes put the pirate king into the last dungeon. why would she do it. why does he stand there and fight you? in the tower of the goddes?

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I don't mean to sound like a dick, but some of you need to learn how to use spoiler tags.

How is anyone who hasn't beaten the game supposed to know whether it's safe or not to highlight a post containing nothing but a black bar? There's no indication where in the game or at which point in the game the spoiler is referring to...
I was thinking the same thing. Even a warning such as "post dungeon 6 spoiler" would help a lot.

jackdoe

The whole logic sucked.

Hey the goddes tests if you are worthy with those
tear-searching quests. Then when you did them you need to prove you are worthy to the dragons. Then you have to search for the triforce in that tower. If it is so super important that link wishes away demise, why would the goddes put the pirate king into the last dungeon. why would she do it. why does he stand there and fight you? in the tower of the goddes?
Then you also take into account the whole
time traveling shenanigans that convolute the story even further.

oatmeal

Banned
Methinks this game will have some severe backlash when the 'New Zelda' wears off and people try to replay it.

It's filled to the brim with bullshit.

Like...

You snarky fucking robot, just fly to the fucking top of the mountain!

FreeMufasa

Methinks this game will have some severe backlash when the 'New Zelda' wears off and people try to replay it.

It's filled to the brim with bullshit.

Like...

You snarky fucking robot, just fly to the fucking top of the mountain!

Definately. I think it's going to be worse than what happened with TP. Unless Nintendo can bring out Wii-U Zelda within 3 years.

Also, replaying TP now has made me realise something SS is missing that all 3D Zeldas have. Dramatic boss death scenes. I love how the bosses thrust about, roar and make a huge commotion before they die. I can't remember any SS boss doing that.

rhino4evr

You guys realize that one of Nintendos best selling franchises has the slogan "collect them all" right? Collecting and "fetch quests" are nothing new to Nintendo games. The real question is, was the fetch quest fun and did it add to the game? I think the majority of them are. They are constantly changing, so you never feel like you've done this before.

Mistle

I'm past dungeon 5 and nothing yet has felt even close to a "fetch quest". That's such an overused phrase for this game.

I understand that there is one coming up rather soon apparently, but so far I think people are getting fetch quest/filler confused with the actual gameplay. Which has been great! And if you really loathe it for some reason, then maybe Zelda just isn't for you? *shrug*

I have zero problems with these fetch quests. Sure, it's just an excuse to navigate the environment, but it's an excuse to navigate the environment! It's something I always enjoy doing in Zelda games, and now with the increased freedom of movement (thanks to Link's semi-parkour sprint button), it's even more enjoyable. Just think how great it'll be when he finally has a jump button!

And when either myself or the environment is changing for each new thing I need to collect, I'm perfectly happy to do it again. It's usually pretty short, anyway. Like, you'd think these things last an hour each, but they really don't.

As another bonus, it also gives me an opportunity to hunt down more Goddess Cubes, etc. Stuff I normally forget about, because I'm not in the habit of writing down every suspicious thing I see and coming back to it later on my own.

Do people also complain about fetching small keys in dungeons?

Well, did you really expect something?

I bet Zelda ends up marrying Bado, that bitch. Also because otherwise would mean Zelda and Link in future games are.. brothers? Or blood related anyway?

Where's the spoiler topic :(

I don't think so. It doesn't appear Link and his reincarnations are blood related.
I think much like Demise it will be his spirit or his courage that is reincarnated constantly as the Goddess' chosen hero.

jackdoe

I'm past dungeon 5 and nothing yet has felt even close to a "fetch quest". That's such an overused phrase for this game.

I understand that there is one coming up rather soon apparently, but so far I think people are getting fetch quest/filler confused with the actual gameplay. Which has been great! And if you really loathe it for some reason, then maybe Zelda just isn't for you? *shrug*
Post dungeon 6 is pretty much what all of us complainers are complaining about. It felt like filler and stalled the forward progress of the story.

Top Bottom