• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

So I'm not done yet, not even quite sure how close I am to being done but I'm 10 1/2 hours in and so far, without trying to invoke hyperbole I think this is easily the most important motion controlled game. It could potentially make motion games relevant to the 'hardcore', and that makes me much more excited for the Wii U.

I think we could all agree that Lanayru Desert had a bit of a superiority complex in this game in general.
Oh, absolutely. I loved the
Sand Sea

So I'm not done yet, not even quite sure how close I am to being done but I'm 10 1/2 hours in and so far, without trying to invoke hyperbole I think this is easily the most important motion controlled game. It could potentially make motion games relevant to the 'hardcore', and that makes me much more excited for the Wii U.
Um, not really. In fact, this game made me curse motion controls.

how did you fight it? the thing is HUGE

People are complaining about pre-dungeon 6 stuff? I just finished with that, and honestly there's nothing to worry about. If you've been fine with the inbetween dungeon stuff so far then nothing here will bother you.

It's the post-dungeon 6 stuff that I hear the most complains about, but I'm not up to that yet.

Either you mean
the boss of it
(most likely), or I've just spoiled something extremely wtf (but I doubt it) ;_;

Even so, I'll take this as a reminder not to highlight any spoiler tags unless they're properly marked. Mark those spoiler tags, people!
let's fight a freakin' castle

Hahaha sorry I meant the
forest temple boss

Gilby

It's kinda crazy to see just how polarizing motion controls still are. I thought the combat and swimming were the best controlling in almost any game I've ever played . Other people seem to hate them, I wonder if there's a common reason (age, seating arrangement, etc.) or if it's just a personal thing like inverted FPS controls.

jackdoe

The forest one I can understand, but I thought the volcano one and -- especially -- the desert one were really fun.
Haha. I did the desert one first, then the volcano one, and finally the forest. When I first did the volcano one, I cursed it. But after doing the forest one, the volcano one didn't feel as bad relatively speaking and it looks better in hindsight.

Haha. I did the desert one first, then the volcano one, and finally the forest. When I first did the volcano one, I cursed it. But after doing the forest one, the volcano one didn't feel as bad relatively speaking and it looks better in hindsight.

I thought all of them were fun but I thought both the Volcano and Faron's excuse were complete BS.
"Sorry I was exercising my power." WTF kinda dumbass dragon that's supposed to be protecting the region does that. Or Faron. There were a lot of monsters in the region so I decided to mess up the entire ecosystem and potentially kill everything there and flood the place.

Kard8p3

lol it seems I've glitched up a side quest.
I was doing the fledge side quest but after I give him the second stamina potion nothing happens. I go to his room again and he just says to come back later but when I come back on a different night he just says the same thing. I don't know what I did this time that was different from my first playthrough but clearly something went wrong.

Gilby

I can't believe people didn't like the
tadnotes
section! It was one of my favourite parts of the game, so relaxing, and a cool take on an old area.

Mistle

The [post dungeon 6]
Master Sword is mine! Enjoyed Ghirahim and his craziness making another appearance too.

Now time to find out what all this post-dungeon 6 commotion is about.. Probably not good going into it with expectations of something bad. But I guess the possible positive outcome is that it wont be as bad as gaf has had me believe, which'll soften the blow lol

jackdoe

I thought all of them were fun but I thought both the Volcano and Faron's excuse were complete BS.
"Sorry I was exercising my power." WTF kinda dumbass dragon that's supposed to be protecting the region does that. Or Faron. There were a lot of monsters in the region so I decided to mess up the entire ecosystem and potentially kill everything there and flood the place.
Honestly, I only liked the Lanayru
Dragon
. Chill dude who gave you the quest item without any bullshit and also gave two awesome items.

lol it seems I've glitched up a side quest.
I was doing the fledge side quest but after I give him the second stamina potion nothing happens. I go to his room again and he just says to come back later but when I come back on a different night he just says the same thing. I don't know what I did this time that was different from my first playthrough but clearly something went wrong.

Nah, happened to me, too.

The game just wants you to move on with the story until you come back. At least, that's what happened with me.

The game just wants you to move on with the story until you come back. At least, that's what happened with me.

You have to complete a dungeon and come back. If you have beat all the dungeons then you can just come back the next night.

Honestly, I only liked the Lanayru
Yeah but apparently he somehow screws the region up as well. However, he was nice enough and was pretty friendly. Also didn't seem stupid like the other two. Granted I give Eldin props for being able to see the mark of the hero on Link's hand instead of trial #32

Kard8p3

I did the sidequest before going to the sand sea and now after fighting Levias it still won't work. In my first playthrough I did pretty much all the sidequests right before going to the final boss so maybe I have to wait till even later for it to finish.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wow, (end game spoilers)
I just cannot lay a hit on Giraham. I've knocked him off and gotten to his second phase, but with that sword out literally nothing works. Slashing from any angle is useless. Parrying with my shield and then stabbing does nothing. Waiting for him to attack, dodging, and slashing does nothing. I have no clue how to even damage him

jackdoe

Wow, (end game spoilers)
I just cannot lay a hit on Giraham. I've knocked him off and gotten to his second phase, but with that sword out literally nothing works. Slashing from any angle is useless. Parrying with my shield and then stabbing does nothing. Waiting for him to attack, dodging, and slashing does nothing. I have no clue how to even damage him
Are you
stabbing his gigantic, glowing weak spot?

Wow, (end game spoilers)

slash at his sword from the same two angles quickly and you should be able to break it. If you're on the phase I think you are. Also if you have issues enhanced guardian potion + potion medal will basically give you invincibility for probably over 15 minutes. I don't know the exact timing but it lasted at least that long.

The Technomancer

Are you
stabbing his gigantic, glowing weak spot?

I'm trying. Thats what I assumed, but like I said
even when he's exposed after a parry it seems like it doesn't hit. Maybe I'm not pulling off stab correctly though. Also, I assume you can hit him in other ways besides parrying, since your shield could break

jackdoe

slash at his sword from the same two angles quickly and you should be able to break it. If you're on the phase I think you are. Also if you have issues enhanced guardian potion + potion medal will basically give you invincibility for probably over 15 minutes. I don't know the exact timing but it lasted at least that long.
That's the third phase!

even when he's exposed after a parry it seems like it doesn't hit. Maybe I'm not pulling off stab correctly though. Also, I assume you can hit him in other ways besides parrying, since your shield could break
Well, he was easy for me
by using parries and then stabbing. I had the indestructible Hylian shield though, so I had my shield up at all times.

Wait where are you right now? I've beat the game but since there are multiple encounters you might not be at the part I think you are.

Edit:
That's the third phase!
Oh........sorry if I spoiled it. However, I don't think you can understand what's going on yet.
so is he at the stage where you have to knock him off the platforms or... I really can't remember well. I remember the 3rd phase and the knock him off the platform phase but there was one other part where I just slashed at times when he left himself vulnerable and parried occasionally as well.

Hiltz

Finished the 4th dungeon. Boss killed me twice without using potions or hearts.

I'm not looking forward to the next
Silent Realm
area. The first one was scary enough but now it looks like things will be harder.

Playing through Hero mode, so far, still easy. Haven't died yet. Just got to the second dungeon. I've got to laugh at all the reviews calling the game hard at all or even Dark Souls hard.

I really wish the game would let me skip all the text, it's so boring having to read about how to use the slingshot or the bomb over again. The only thing that can be skipped are cutscenes. Bah.

Branduil

Playing through Hero mode, so far, still easy. Haven't died yet. Just got to the second dungeon. I've got to laugh at all the reviews calling the game hard at all or even Dark Souls hard.

I really wish the game would let me skip all the text, it's so boring having to read about how to use the slingshot or the bomb over again. The only thing that can be skipped are cutscenes. Bah.

The game is considerably harder than Zelda normally is.

Yeah, hero mode is pretty lame so far. I was expecting more enemies or something.
They let you keep
your final skyward strike
which makes the game too easy against the grunts. Course I could stop using it, but then I'd just go back to spin attacks and then a downward stab. Plus it's kind of fun being a little over powered.

The game is considerably harder than Zelda normally is.
Yeah, but that's not really saying much. Part of me wants a Zelda that's hard as Zelda II was without grinding.

The game is hard enough. The unskippable text, even in hero mode, is complete bullshit.

Yeah, but that's not really saying much. Part of me wants a Zelda that's hard as Zelda II was without grinding.

I somewhat agree, but a lot of my frustration in that game came from really cheap stuff. Don't get me started on the bridge segments with those fish things, and those floating head things that shot fire. As long as I'm not in for countless cheap deaths, I'd be down.

The Technomancer

Man,
Boss Rush
is kicking my ass.
Ironically the two fights I had the easiet time with the first time around, Tentalus and the Scorpion, are now the worst for me, because I usually can't make it out without taking two or three hits, and every hit counts. I whup Girahim with ease now though

Man,
Boss Rush
is kicking my ass.
Ironically the two fights I had the easiet time with the first time around, Tentalus and the Scorpion, are now the worst for me, because I usually can't make it out without taking two or three hits, and every hit counts. I whup Girahim with ease now though

I beat the last one to get the Hylian Shield with 1 heart remaining. I was literally shaking.

RagnarokX

Well you probably already beat it, but
attack the same side of the sword each time until you cut all the way through.

Sagitario

Just finished a few minutes ago! Took me ~48 hours.
The journey was excellent, the ending... not that much [but it wasn't bad :p]
Also, I REALLY hate time travel in games.

About the last two boss battles:

3rd [and last] Ghirahim fight >>>>>>>>>>>> Demise.

I found the second part of the Demise battle really cheap. I don't know if I should blame the motion controls or there was something I was missing.
For the first part, not even once he hit me, I got really good with the shield.
For the second part of the battle, the openings for attacking him were almost non-existent (plus the electricity, if it wasn't for the Hylian Shield and a potion, I would have died a second time).

Any thoughts/opinions on that? Maybe I was doing something wrong? First time I felt the sword controls weren't working properly.

When I saw the battle arena, I thought: "YAY FINAL BATTLE WITH A BEAUTIFUL MONET-LIKE SKY, SHOULD BE BETTER THAN TWW", then it all went black and red :(

Also, it wasn't the most fun (or epic) final battle on a Zelda. TWW and TP still have the crown!
Heck, that last Ghirahim fight and scenes were MUCH better. I also loved his true form and using a Skyward Strike against his own strike felt awesome, like... Link finally got some power to fight back and he's using it :p

boiled goose

good with gravy
Man they really fucked up the
swimming/ Diving
controls.

Seriously. WTF.

n the surface one way, under the surface another (inferior) way.
It does not make any sense.
Tacked on motion controls suck... :/

I really love Lizalfos in this game. They're probably my favorite enemy.

Combat is relevant. I just love it so much. You can actually die in this game.

AniHawk

alright, Imma fly around for a bit and see if anything sticks out

that was the best hint i could think of and i still couldn't help. :(

i only figured it out because i saw it throughout the game, tried the skyward sword on it several times, and thought, 'okay, you HAVE to be important'

after running around skyloft looking for a spot to put it, i remembered that bird statue with the one eye.

the image of it makes it look bigger than it actually is though. i think that's what threw me.

RagnarokX

swimming/ Diving
controls.

Seriously. WTF.

Combat is relevant. I just love it so much. You can actually die in this game.

They work fine, just use them right.

that was the best hint i could think of and i still couldn't help. :(

i only figured it out because i saw it throughout the game, tried the skyward sword on it several times, and thought, 'okay, you HAVE to be important'

after running around skyloft looking for a spot to put it, i remembered that bird statue with the one eye.

the image of it makes it look bigger than it actually is though. i think that's what threw me.
I knew where it went as soon as I saw it.
I had been wondering about the bird statue with 1 eye ever since I saw it at the start of the game. As soon as I saw that gem and it was the same color as the other eye I knew where to go. It also clicked why that statue turns around at night (to make it impossible to trigger that cutscene at night).

swimming/ Diving
controls.

Seriously. WTF.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, the swimming control is definitely not tacked on. That would be swinging, climbing, and flapping.

What is so hard for you about them? I found that they work great.

Lots of things work in this world. Doesn't make 'em good.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, the swimming controls is definitely not tacked on. That would be swinging, climbing, and flapping.
This is definitely true, though. While I don't like the swimming controls, you can at least tell they were well thought out. It's just that I'd rather point at the screen and move in that direction than tilt to swim... I think that's how Endless Ocean works, and I found that quite sufficient.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

They work fine when you need to use broad strokes (99% of the time). When it comes time for quick turns or fine movement they're woefully inadequate.

AniHawk

nah, he's right about the disconnect between surface swimming and underwater swimming. it's very confusing.

i never had a problem controlling while i was underwater, but switching back and forth led to me trying to lead him around with the analog stick while underwater a couple times.

nah, he's right about the disconnect between surface swimming and underwater swimming. it's very confusing.

i never had a problem controlling while i was underwater, but switching back and forth led to me trying to lead him around with the analog stick while underwater a couple times.

Well if you let go of the A button, you can still do that, even while underwater, can't you?

RagnarokX

You use the analog stick underwater for quick direction change. I used both controls constantly, so it didn't really feel disconnected.

Swimming controls should have been more like Galaxy. They feel tacked on to me. You move with the stick, you have your waggle spin attack. Simple, and then there's no disconnect.

Top Bottom