• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

maharg

idspispopd
It's not that I'm trying to rush through it, I've had the game for over a week and this is where I am, but I'm pretty sure we were told that the next thing we have to do is
get the flames, but you have to do the realms to get them,
only that's not it. You're actually led down a long path of 'do this first, then do that next but oh no you can't because you gotta go there first' before you even get close. I know that Zelda games have been like this before, but I feel like it's taking the piss a bit just to make the game longer.

I would have preferred to be told about the
flames
closer to the time of getting them, making me feel like the mission isn't THAT long.

This game leads you by the nose so much that, while being led by the nose has bothered me a fair bit, things like this haven't bothered me. I pretty much just go where Fi tells me to.

Honestly, I don't think the issue is wanting to take time with it. The way the game stretches stuff out makes you want to rush because you feel like you're doing busywork and you want to get on with things. And you don't really have a lot of opportunity to just flit around and explore, which is what 'taking your time' in Zelda games used to be.

I just got to Faron Woods, and thus far:

It's good, but its the most un-Nintendo game I've played since Other M. So many random cutscene/dialogue interruptions to the gameplay. I don't think there's been more than a 5 minute period where I was left to my own devices to play. Every time I start getting into things Fi speaks up, or someone has to yell for my help, or something else happens....Very annoying. I'm sure it will get better but I don't understand how Nintendo, a developer that seems to be against this kind of thing (constant gameplay interruption) would make this...

peakish

Just finished it and I had a great time. The whole endgame (
counting from the three dragons, I even liked the water dragon quest even if it did slow things down a bit
) is superb, fantastic last dungeon and bosses. Satisfying conclusion to the story. I'm very happy.

May post more later. But for now it's by far my favorite Zelda titles since Majora. Easily.

Doorman

Out of curiosity, I've heard quite a bit of grumbling and groaning around this thread about some sort of puzzle or activity that Fi supposedly pops up and spoils the solution to right away. I've avoided most of the details about it since I'm trying to make my way through this as spoiler-free as I can, but could someone that's experienced this at least point out the general area within the game where this occurs (like, "leading up to the fourth temple" or so)? I'm in the midst of getting to the sixth temple right now and off the top of my head I can't think of any time that Fi's spoiled any sort of puzzle that wasn't already entirely obvious.

zoukka

Out of curiosity, I've heard quite a bit of grumbling and groaning around this thread about some sort of puzzle or activity that Fi supposedly pops up and spoils the solution to right away. I've avoided most of the details about it since I'm trying to make my way through this as spoiler-free as I can, but could someone that's experienced this at least point out the general area within the game where this occurs (like, "leading up to the fourth temple" or so)? I'm in the midst of getting to the sixth temple right now and off the top of my head I can't think of any time that Fi's spoiled any sort of puzzle that wasn't already entirely obvious.

Yep, I just ignored every prompt to call Fi and no puzzle spoilings for me.

peakish

Yep, I just ignored every prompt to call Fi and no puzzle spoilings for me.

I think it depends on what you could consider spoilers. Sometimes she spells out an objective for you, like "you should get over there Master" (usually something quite obvious) or gives you a hint on an enemy (someone mentioned that she pointed out that you should watch the armoured arm of those lizard enemies). But there's just a few times I can remember when she actually said something that I'd consider a spoiler, like in the pre-third dungeon area
pointing out which areas were safe to walk on in the sand

So I agree, I don't think she spoils much at all, though she sometimes says spoilerish things.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Mother of God what a goddamn finale. Jesus Christ. Fi being annoying... every gripe... was worth it those last moments. The final battle... the ending... the credits... everything... everything. I teared up like a goddamned bastard at some points. Childhood memories came flashing back... me a kid playing LTTP, Awakening, OoT... damn. That's why this franchise is my favorite franchise. Holy shit at the origin stories too... like... damn. Was worth it all. The wait, everything.

Once more... the credit theme song was the best piece in the whole game.

In my personal standards I fully believe this hangs along OoT or just sightly under it, and much better than TP which I found boring. Excellent.. bring the WiiU version Ninty. I am ready. Fuck naysayers who say its old, stale, etc... its fucking Zelda. :D!

maharg

idspispopd
I think it depends on what you could consider spoilers. Sometimes she spells out an objective for you, like "you should get over there Master" (usually something quite obvious) or gives you a hint on an enemy (someone mentioned that she pointed out that you should watch the armoured arm of those lizard enemies). But there's just a few times I can remember when she actually said something that I'd consider a spoiler, like in the pre-third dungeon area
pointing out which areas were safe to walk on in the sand

Although the
where to walk on the sand
bit was spoilery I didn't mind it so much. What annoyed me there was shortly after when she pretty much tells you exactly what to do with the Myst-style
rotating puzzle
that comes right after. I had already figured out what was going on there and I felt a bit robbed of the victory (however small) when it turns out she was just gonna tell me the whole time.

peakish

Although the
where to walk on the sand
bit was spoilery I didn't mind it so much. What annoyed me there was shortly after when she pretty much tells you exactly what to do with the Myst-style
rotating puzzle
that comes right after. I had already figured out what was going on there and I felt a bit robbed of the victory (however small) when it turns out she was just gonna tell me the whole time.

All right, I had also figured out that before but didn't at all remember her spoiling it. Not that the puzzle was hard but I can see why that would be annoying.

Your mileage will vary with how obvious you consider Fi's spoilers. Most of the time it's something you would figure out immediately (e.g. where to go next), but it would still be more satisfying to go there on your own and confirm your theory rather than having Fi flat-out tell you it was the right idea before you've made a move.

Worse is the dungeon 3 entrance puzzle that she gives away, unsolicited, as soon as you make a single "wrong" move. There is a similar situation in the fifth dungeon, but that doesn't seem to trigger for everyone. In neither case do you have to summon Fi for her to spoil it for you. She pops out on her own, which is bewildering since Nintendo already thought to include two different hint systems in the game (summoning Fi and the Sheikah stones). It's not easy to avoid the spoilers either because in both cases she can interrupt before you understand the nature of the puzzle. With the dungeon 3 spoiler, you are likely to start by "testing" the puzzle to see how it works. It's very likely that you will make a wrong move, so Fi will tell you what to do. The dungeon 5 spoiler is bad because you may not even realize you're up against a puzzle (I was still just exploring my options) before Fi shows up. My advice is just to click through all of Fi's dialogue without reading.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's bizarre. Everything about the animation in the game is incredible, except for her singing. And sometimes Link's expressions.

It looked like the animation was based on the notes of the song. Links arm would also jump across the harp in time with the tune.

Doorman

Your mileage will vary with how obvious you consider Fi's spoilers. Most of the time it's something you would figure out immediately (e.g. where to go next), but it would still be more satisfying to go there on your own and confirm your theory rather than having Fi flat-out tell you it was the right idea before you've made a move.

Worse is the dungeon 3 entrance puzzle that she gives away, unsolicited, as soon as you make a single "wrong" move. There is a similar situation in the fifth dungeon, but that doesn't seem to trigger for everyone. In neither case do you have to summon Fi for her to spoil it for you. She pops out on her own, which is bewildering since Nintendo already thought to include two different hint systems in the game (summoning Fi and the Sheikah stones). It's not easy to avoid the spoilers either because in both cases she can interrupt before you understand the nature of the puzzle. With the dungeon 3 spoiler, you are likely to start by "testing" the puzzle to see how it works. It's very likely that you will make a wrong move, so Fi will tell you what to do. The dungeon 5 spoiler is bad because you may not even realize you're up against a puzzle (I was still just exploring my options) before Fi shows up. My advice is just to click through all of Fi's dialogue without reading.

Ahh, the dungeon 3 entrance I could see people being annoyed by. I guess I'm lucky that I figured out the nature of that one quickly and didn't screw it up. I have feeling I know which fifth dungeon spoiler you're referring to, too, and that's a shame because the puzzles like those are some of the most satisfying to solve in the game so far.

Red

honestly, if it came earlier during the game i would have loved it too. i love seeing the locales change, especially this much. but it was just completely out of place and really fucked up the pacing

music was great though, as usual
I can see why people dislike it, since it grinds the plot to a halt just when things are heating up, but it's really easy and only like 15 minutes long.

MechaX

4th Dungeon boss just went from being one of the most boring bosses in a 3D Zelda game to being one of the better bosses in a 3D Zelda game almost immediately.

Xun

Mother of God what a goddamn finale. Jesus Christ. Fi being annoying... every gripe... was worth it those last moments. The final battle... the ending... the credits... everything... everything. I teared up like a goddamned bastard at some points. Childhood memories came flashing back... me a kid playing LTTP, Awakening, OoT... damn. That's why this franchise is my favorite franchise. Holy shit at the origin stories too... like... damn. Was worth it all. The wait, everything.

Once more... the credit theme song was the best piece in the whole game.

In my personal standards I fully believe this hangs along OoT or just sightly under it, and much better than TP which I found boring. Excellent.. bring the WiiU version Ninty. I am ready. Fuck naysayers who say its old, stale, etc... its fucking Zelda. :D!
Good to hear.

Anyway since I'm afraid of spoiling the game I'm going to unsubscribe from the thread.

See you on the other side folks!

Tuck

Anyway, HOLY SHIT at the dungeon 5 boss. Not only was the whole dungeon awesome, but the boss is incredible.
Running through the ship as it's falling apart and sinking was crazy, and then actually fighting the thing out in a storm was brilliant.

I think I would have enjoyed that scene more had I not played Uncharted 3.

I can see why people dislike it, since it grinds the plot to a halt just when things are heating up, but it's really easy and only like 15 minutes long.

honestly, it was a lot easier than i thought. it looked very intimidating at first but everything really just falls into place. i really do wish it came earlier

Good to hear.

I must really stop viewing this thread until I finish the game, since I'm afraid I might unearth something.

bail out now. i accidentally spoiled a lot of stuff browsing, and i even accidentally clicked the spoiler thread :| :| :|

Mother of God what a goddamn finale. Jesus Christ. Fi being annoying... every gripe... was worth it those last moments. The final battle... the ending... the credits... everything... everything. I teared up like a goddamned bastard at some points.

Okay you admitted to that... so I'm going to as well. I haven't beaten it yet, but
the scene where Zelda goes to sleep in the crystal, her apologizing for dragging Link into everything, acting legitimately saddened by the course of her actions for the greater good while deceiving a childhood friend, and her saying that while she is a reincarnation of Hylia, that she still grew up with him, that her father was still her father, and that "I'll always be your Zelda" and then Link slamming his fists against the crystal...
I'm sorry but to someone who has known these characters for 25 years and finally getting a scene like that with real emotions absolutely got to me pretty hardcore.

I was not expecting it at all.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Setup to the dungeon 5 boss was incredible (opening that door, being like "whut" and taking about ten seconds to realize what I was supposed to do) but the actual boss was just a liiiiiiitle too cartoony for my tastes.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Arrgggghhhh @ [near endgame spoilers]
Boss Rush mode! I was on the last fight to get the Hylian Shield, and it happened to be the second Imprisoned Fight. Had to hit the seal statue thingy into his head just one more time, but he reached the temple right before I could. First time I've wanted to throw my controller across the room from a video game in years :(

Now I do a little research online and find out that continually using the airjets to get above him and land on his head is apparently a million times easier than trying to destroy his dumb toes. Damn you, game! I couldn't despise that damn encounter more at this point.

Even though I'm sure I'll do it just fine on my second try, challenges that require a 30 minute investment and can be failed at the last second from one mistake are just awful and not my preferred type of game design or way of being challenged in a game :/

End rant/whine. Still pumped to finish the game and have loved the ride!

The Technomancer

Also this is the point where I can
access Boss Rush mode, right? I've just taken the quest to get the fortune teller his ball back
. Who do I talk to to access that?

Also this is the point where I can
access Boss Rush mode, right? I've just taken the quest to get the fortune teller his ball back
. Who do I talk to to access that?
Wait, if you're only at dungeon 5, and you have a little ways to go before you have access to boss rush.

Go talk to the
Thunder Dragon

Win eight rounds and you'll get the
Hylian Shield

Vire

Quick question. Do sound effects come out of the Wiimote like Twilight Princess? I really wasn't fond of that...

peakish

Quick question. Do sound effects come out of the Wiimote like Twilight Princess? I really wasn't fond of that...

They do but they're much better, I didn't notice them at all until pretty far into the game. Maybe my volume is set to low but I just think they learned their lesson on it.

Vire

They do but they're much better, I didn't notice them at all until pretty far into the game. Maybe my volume is set to low but I just think they learned their lesson on it.

Bummer, I was hoping they would ditch that since the overall effect before came off really tinny and crappy.

No worries though, it's not something that will stop me from getting the game.

Doorman

Setup to the dungeon 5 boss was incredible (opening that door, being like "whut" and taking about ten seconds to realize what I was supposed to do) but the actual boss was just a liiiiiiitle too cartoony for my tastes.

Hahaha, yeah, the start of that fight threw me for a loop too.
I spent a couple minutes trying to throw bombs into the holes in the floor before realizing that I could walk outside of the room again.
The fight itself was neat although I feel like there's something about the second "phase" of that fight that I never quite did correctly.

Yes they do, but like all of the Wii Remote speaker options, you can turn it off if you want. They've never much bothered me, just when you use a few items does it come up.

The Technomancer

Wait, if you're only at dungeon 5, and you have a little ways to go before you have access to boss rush.

Go talk to the
Thunder Dragon

Win eight rounds and you'll get the
Hylian Shield
Hm? No, I'm
after visiting all three dragons. I've got the red gemstone thing I need to find a slot for in Skyloft, someone recommended I talk to the fortune teller for advice (because I assume we aren't supposed to literally examine every flat surface in Skyloft for a gem shaped hole)

popeutlal

So I'm watching the play through of this game on DSPGaming, on youtube. Oh my this starts out too slow. There is soo much uninteresting dialog. Voice acting should have definitely helped.

I hated the slow start of TP, this doesn't seem any different.

So I'm watching the play through of this game on DSPGaming, on youtube. Oh my this starts out too slow. There is soo much uninteresting dialog. Voice acting should have definitely helped.

I hated the slow start of TP, this doesn't seem any different.

It honestly didn't bother me one bit. I liked the freedom of running around doing silly shit and learning the controls instead of being thrown or forced right into the fire.

I just put this in this morning for the first time, played for about 2 hours. I disagree with anyone that thinks it starts slow. I think its perfect.

I already feel more of a connection with this Princess Zelda then any before.

I AM READY.

Dead

well not really...yet
I just put this in this morning for the first time, played for about 2 hours. I disagree with anyone that thinks it starts slow. I think its perfect.

I already feel more of a connection with this Princess Zelda then any before.

I AM READY.
That sums up my thoughts from the first few hours as well.

sphinx

the piano man
I just sarted playing this and so far I reached
Skyview Temple
, the I saved and quit and I am thinking this will be the first temple but I am not sure.

regarding the first hours TP vs. SS, I think both are kinda slow but I remember TP somehow being a lot more annoying.

Am liking it just "o.k" now, what I don't like so far is the feeling of being caged, I can't go anywhere but straight to where I am supposed to go.... I am hoping that everything opens up a bit after getting weapons and advancing. I really hope this straigthforwardness ends soon.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I just sarted playing this and so far I reached
Skyview Temple
, the I saved and quit and I am thinking this will be the first temple but I am not sure.

regarding the first hours TP vs. SS, I think both are kinda slow but I remember TP somehow being a lot more annoying.

Am liking it just "o.k" now, what I don't like so far is the feeling of being caged, I can't go anywhere but straight to where I am supposed to go.... I am hoping that everything opens up a bit after getting weapons and advancing. I really hope this straigthforwardness ends soon.

TP was awful in its linearity. The first time you visit the overworld proper, Midna will always crawl out if you veer any direction other than the objective. Big open fields, absolutely brimming with invisible walls keeping you locked towards the next waypoint. Aggravating and terrible especially given that happens over 4-5 hours in.

Not at all liking that shit returns in this game. But I also don't come to Zelda for narrative driven story experiences either. I have my copy still shrinkwrapped and the more I read the less I want to bother. I knew this when I disliked TP, but Zelda really seemingly is no longer for me.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I haven't decided whether any of the dungeons in SS yet reach the heights of the TP dungeons, but the Ancient Cistern has to come close. Even though the nature of the dungeon item and all corresponding puzzle solutions were telegraphed the moment I entered the dungeon, the lower sections and the boss were immensely enjoyable. I also liked the aesthetic of the entire thing. I'm so glad that Nintendo mostly went with unique dungeon themes instead of the elemental fire/sky/earth/water stuff. Only the second dungeon so far did that.

I also think that the pace through the first three dungeons is perfect, though the events leading up to the fourth dungeon probably went on too long.

Vire

TP was awful in its linearity. The first time you visit the overworld proper, Midna will always crawl out if you veer any direction other than the objective. Big open fields, absolutely brimming with invisible walls keeping you locked towards the next waypoint. Aggravating and terrible especially given that happens over 4-5 hours in.

Not at all liking that shit returns in this game. But I also don't come to Zelda for narrative driven story experiences either. I have my copy still shrinkwrapped and the more I read the less I want to bother. I knew this when I disliked TP, but Zelda really seemingly is no longer for me.
I think you should play it yourself first before having other people formulate your opinions for you.

Top Bottom