• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

ant1532

Banned
question post 6th dungeon
at the flooded forest part(just got here) how many more hours would you say I have till end game? dont spoil anything!

AniHawk

Very late game question for those that have already finished the game:

I'm doing the Thunder Dragon boss rush and he keeps telling me to quit now if I want a certain prize. I'm at the ninth boss and he said the prize for this one was the "absurdly sturdy shield" he kept boasting about. If I don't quit after boss nine do I now get it? Or am I getting all the prizes?

Please answer quickly!
stop now if you want
that shield

I'm doing the Thunder Dragon boss rush and he keeps telling me to quit now if I want a certain prize. I'm at the ninth boss and he said the prize for this one was the "absurdly sturdy shield" he kept boasting about. If I don't quit after boss nine do I now get it? Or am I getting all the prizes?

Please answer quickly!

You do not get all of the prizes, just one at a time. If you want the prize that he says you need to quit for, quit.

Please answer quickly!

You don't get all the prizes together. Quit when it's the one you want.

MisterHero

Please answer quickly!
I think it's you either settle for your current tier or go for the bigger prize

which means I'll probably need to do it again for the
Heart Piece

AniHawk

at the flooded forest part(just got here) how many more hours would you say I have till end game? dont spoil anything!

if you are just starting on this segment
the quest levias sends you on
, then another 4-6 hours or so.

I'm guessing this was the first thing you did after the 6th dungeon? I'm bad with time estimates, but I'd say you've got around five hours left. Less if you decide not to do any cleanup heart pieces/sidequests.

L00P

I can't seem to beat this last part of the pumpkin landing questline.
The rhythm part. It's so fucking annoying cause I'm horrible at it. I follow their hands but I can't seem to get past it. What kind of crap is that?
Any good tips?

Yeah, this thing had me aggravated for quite awhile, too. But I finally got the hang of it. Just following the hands isn't going to help, you gotta keep an ear out for the rhythm, too. It's kinda hard to explain, but what I did was change the direction of each strum so that it matches the beat. Gave me good to great ratings so far.

Wow, I'm loving the post-dungeon 6 stuff. Can't believe they really
flooded Faron Woods.
THIS is the kind of environment alterations I want to see more often.
Swimming around it
was awesome as hell.

Red

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU end game awesomeness

Dungeon 7 running up the stairs fuck yeah

And the map layout of Sky Keep! My nerd boner is ready to burst.

Effect

Wow. 23 hours in and just made it to the
Ancient Cistern
. Can't tell if I'm going to slow or if my pacing is good enough. I haven't even been to Skyloft after reaching
Thunderhead
. I just went right back to business. I think I might head back there before I go further on the surface as a change of pace when I sit down to play Monday or Tuesday. Gotta say I look forward to going back up to Skyloft if only to fly around and just run around time and enjoy the view. The surface as a dungeon is true but tiring after a while. Especially the changes that take place when you go back to an area.

Mistle

ah shit ._. that's more post-6 than i was expecting, ugh. damn. not your fault, but this thread just keeps spoiling me, i really have to stay out ;_; thankfully i haven't spoiled endgame yet (apart from the name of the final boss :/) but i'm worried that's next.

Anyway, here's another question [post dungeon 6]
the whole Zelda/goddess cutscene was amazing. And the music! :D :D but just a dumb question that i somehow looked over/forgot: why exactly does Zelda have to stay in the past, in slumber? how does that help keep the Demise imprisoned? i understood everything else but i must have accidentally missed this tiny but important detail.

OMT

I figured out what annoys me about this game. I don't like that it seemingly expects you to take a Xanax before playing it. Seriously, if you get worked up during intense sequences, this is not the game for you.

Levyne

Banned
I have one general question involving timelines and stuff...

So is it pretty much assumed the Temple of Time and Hyrule castle are built around the Sealed Grounds because that's where both the Triforce and Master Sword are found in OOT? Then what is the other "Temple of Time" in the desert? I mean, both had the time gates, they could both be Temple of Times?

Also, unrelated, someone remind me which game or sequence moves the Master Sword to the Sacred Grove (Where it's found in TP and LTTP, right?)

MisterHero

Anyway, here's another question [post dungeon 6]
the whole Zelda/goddess cutscene was amazing. And the music! :D :D but just a dumb question that i somehow looked over/forgot: why exactly does Zelda have to stay in the past, in slumber? how does that help keep the Demise imprisoned? i understood everything else but i must have accidentally missed this tiny but important detail.
The power to keep The Imprisoned sealed comes from Zelda's divine spirit. She no longer needs to stay there when you wish for the Triforce to defeat The Imprisoned for good.

It's really neat how you can see the crystal in the chamber the entire game without knowing what it contained.

Khold said:
So is it pretty much assumed the Temple of Time and Hyrule castle are built around the Sealed Grounds because that's where both the Triforce and Master Sword are found in OOT? Then what is the other "Temple of Time" in the desert? I mean, both had the time gates, they could both be Temple of Times?

Also, unrelated, someone remind me which game or sequence moves the Master Sword to the Sacred Grove (Where it's found in TP and LTTP, right?)
There are multiple Time Gates across The Surface, though most were destroyed.

It bugs me that the Temple of Time is in 2 remarkably different places between SS-OoT-TP but it's possible that since it's where the sky people begin to approach the surface that the Royal Family does begin around the Sealed Grounds, and the location between SS-OoT-TP is actually consistent (even though there's a huge distance between the Castle Town and Lost Woods in OoT?)

As for movement, a possibility is that the OoT Temple of Time became TP's Temple of Time Ruins which ultimately dissolves into the lone Pedastal in LttP's Sacred Grove

Oh yeah, forgot to mention in my last post.
I really love Groose. Actually got a bit emotional from the scene after Zelda gets crystalized. The combination of touching somber music and his dialogue really highlights his development. Favorite non-sidekick supporting character by far.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aw shit, this game is going to go on longer than I expected.

Dungeon 5 spoilers:
Dungeon was awesome, and I hope the dungeons get more creative in the next Zelda game. I really liked it. Monsters Inc boss design was lulz.

And the pre-dungeon 5 stuff... was kind of depressing. Mostly because I feel bad for the robots. Long broken, you're traveling around with the Captain, you can't bring a Timeshift Stone just to have them see their father again. "Have fun at work, dad?" Aw man. :(

Post-dungeon 6 spoilers:

Dungeon 6 was meh. Ghirahim made up for it, though.

Was I the only one who kind of teared up at the Zelda/Link thing despite the whole "I used you" bit? I can't help but to feel like Link constantly draws the short straw and is pulled into shit he doesn't understand. Fate is cruel, I suppose? At least I know what that crystal is now. I saw it at the beginning of the game and figured it was an item I have to obtain later in the game.

Groose is also definitely one of my favourite Zelda characters. The scene with him before going through the Gate of Time was pretty touching, as was the scene after that. I like him. He's a good guy at heart. His theme is also pretty great too.

Also, the part where you had to learn a new bird technique... that was a bit jarring in terms of pacing... You have this heartfelt emotional scene and then LET'S HAVE A TUTORIAL NOW. Strange, strange pacing...

Also Lumpy Pumpkin stuff...
Oh man, thanks to all who said to follow the rhythm. That was a pain in the ass, just following their hands...

Going to do the next main game quest now...

Mistle

MisterHero said:
The power to keep The Imprisoned sealed comes from Zelda's divine spirit. She no longer needs to stay there when you wish for the Triforce to defeat The Imprisoned for good.

It's really neat how you can see the crystal in the chamber the entire game without knowing what it contained.
Ah yes,
divine spirit.. And yeah, I saw that crystal the first time I went there. So cool. Then when I came across timeshift stones, I thought it was something like that.

Hmm, I think you can actually vaguely make out Zelda's dress when peaking through the door. No way you'd spot it though unless you knew what it was.

Wow, I'm loving the post-dungeon 6 stuff. Can't believe they really
flooded Faron Woods.
THIS is the kind of environment alterations I want to see more often.
Swimming around it
was awesome as hell.

It was a very cool visual but holy good lord that was the worst part of the game to me so far, by a country mile. (I just finished that part.) I've mostly loved the rest of the game, some nitpicks and such but nothing that really damaged my overall opinion. But goddamn, that was a bad idea.
I am way less nostalgic for Banjo-Kazooie than I thought.

Mistle

Aw shit, this game is going to go on longer than I expected.

Dungeon 5 spoilers:
Dungeon was awesome, and I hope the dungeons get more creative in the next Zelda game. I really liked it. Monsters Inc boss design was lulz.

And the pre-dungeon 5 stuff... was kind of depressing. Mostly because I feel bad for the robots. Long broken, you're traveling around with the Captain, you can't bring a Timeshift Stone just to have them see their father again. "Have fun at work, dad?" Aw man. :(

Post-dungeon 6 spoilers:

Dungeon 6 was meh. Ghirahim made up for it, though.

Was I the only one who kind of teared up at the Zelda/Link thing despite the whole "I used you" bit? I can't help but to feel like Link constantly draws the short straw and is pulled into shit he doesn't understand. Fate is cruel, I suppose? At least I know what that crystal is now. I saw it at the beginning of the game and figured it was an item I have to obtain later in the game.

Groose is also definitely one of my favourite Zelda characters. The scene with him before going through the Gate of Time was pretty touching, as was the scene after that. I like him. He's a good guy at heart. His theme is also pretty great too.

Also, the part where you had to learn a new bird technique... that was a bit jarring in terms of pacing... You have this heartfelt emotional scene and then LET'S HAVE A TUTORIAL NOW. Strange, strange pacing...

Also Lumpy Pumpkin stuff...
Oh man, thanks to all who said to follow the rhythm. That was a pain in the ass, just following their hands...

Going to do the next main game quest now...
lol, again, i'm at the exact some spot as you.

I really wish you got to
restore the whole Sandsea and Lanary areas. Even just temporarily so you could explore and see everything in it's previous state. Like the captains house. btw, when was the "have fun at work, dad" part?

Exactly my point!
I loved how the main theme of TP was constantly used in different situations and with distinct arrangements and tones.
Maybe not to the extent of that TP melody (that was rearranged heaps for all different areas), but I'm sure I heard the SS theme make several appearances, and I haven't even finished the game yet. They're subtle, but it's definitely used more than a couple of times.

It was a very cool visual but holy good lord that was the worst part of the game to me so far, by a country mile. (I just finished it.) I've mostly loved the rest of the game, some nitpicks and such but nothing that really damaged my overall opinion. But goddamn, that was a bad idea.
I am way less nostalgic for Banjo-Kazooie than I thought.

I don't know, maybe the visual aspect of it just masked the annoyance for me. You rarely see
game environments change so radically that it alters the way you explore the area while still leaving it mostly intact.

Does anyone know the name of the track that plays during those scenes?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
lol, again, i'm at the exact some spot as you.

I really wish you got to
restore the whole Sandsea and Lanary areas. Even just temporarily so you could explore and see everything in it's previous state. Like the captains house. btw, when was the "have fun at work, dad" part?
LOL, we should see who finishes this faster (you probably will since I don't play my consoles on weekdays).

Yeah, I definitely agree... or at least had gotten one of those portable timeshift stones to use throughout your travels. I was hoping that there would be timeshift stones scattered throughout the Sandsea, with lots of power like the stone in the ship. It's too bad there wasn't a lot to explore in the Sandsea. But it's nice to know what was originally there.

The "Have fun at work, dad" bit was in the Captain's house, when you're walking around after cleaning it, and reading the notes in there. One of the notes had that quote written on it.

Aurarian

Here's another question for y'all. Where's a good place to grind monster horns? I was looking at the IGN guide and it says the regular pig guys drop them, but I haven't really gotten any from them I think. Is there a better way?

Feeling a little irritated:

Seems Demise(or The Imprisoned whatever) is a frickin cheat. He covers the entire area Link is running around and the foot waves make sure you can't even get across. Took 2 tries but finally got him.

And a question:

Just finished the Faron Woods notequest, are the other 2 areas going to be on par as far as attaining the other pieces for the Triforce? Also, about how far am I through the game at this point
?

MisterHero

Look for Bokoblin leaders (the ones that blow their horns when you're spotted) and steal them with the whip

Even if they use them they might not drop them, but the whip will steal them from those who have them every time

I also got a ton of "rare" treasures by playing Clean Cut (the Bamboo minigame). I've beaten the game itself so I'm gonna try to beat the mini-game record (43, according to the Gossip Stone).

The Monster Horn is one of the mid-range prizes so you'll probably get it quite a few times

Feeling a little irritated:

Seems Demise(or The Imprisoned whatever) is a frickin cheat. He covers the entire area Link is running around and the foot waves make sure you can't even get across. Took 2 tries but finally got him.

And a question:

Just finished the Faron Woods notequest, are the other 2 areas going to be on par as far as attaining the other pieces for the Triforce? Also, about how far am I through the game at this point
?

Th other areas will be a similar time commitment but very different activities. You are 90% done.

As for your comment on the fight, the things you complain about should be a hint that there is an easier way.

I just got to the 4th dungeon. I had a really bad mistake after getting the sacred water. As I was walking back to the dragon, I wanted to check my map. But instead of hitting + I hit - and then for some unknown reason hit the A button, which caused me to dump the sacred water out.......My wife is still laughing about this:) I reloaded and then realized that I did not even have to walk back, I could have just used the bird statues....ugh...

Forkball

Just got into the second dungeon. I didn't dig the monotonous "find the parts of the key!" section considering some are in some rather obscure places, and if you mess up getting the hard to find ones you have to trek all the way back up. Hopefully the dungeon is worth the effort.

Red

Fighting who I assume is the final boss right now.

His first stage was stupid easy, parry attack parry attack sort of deal. But now he's got an electric sword and I can't figure out how to hit him. I died after about fifteen minutes of parrying, but I'm guessing I didn't do any damage to him. At one point a bolt of lightning came down and hit my sword instead of his, but this seemed random. I thought maybe I had to do a skyward strike pose when the clouds start flashing, but it never worked again. Kept going to his sword, not mine. Am I focused on the wrong thing?

And another question: the top left dowsing space has been blank to entire game for me. What is the purpose of it?

Nevermind the boss thing, figured it out. Thought it was a timed thing.

boiled goose

good with gravy
It is kinda unfortunate there are no upgrades for certain items.

It would have been nice to have them since it would keep me more motivated to find treasure. The more side quests the better.

Some trivial but handy things such as giving items more range or making them have a wider area of effect would have been nice.

Red

Finished it. Finally.

Ehhh as an origin story it's really inessential. As a standalone game it is excellent. Charming story and characters. Charming is really the word for it. It's the most consistently happy Zelda game.

I think it's the best title in the series since Majora's Mask. If Fi would've just shut up a little more often it could have been even better.

They try to give her a Midna moment there at the end, but I didn't care. She just sucks, so much, absolutely the worst character in the game and actually offensive to the player with her constant pandering early on. I don't care that she feels happy. I don't need to know that. If there was some clue that she was "learning" to be human earlier, maybe she'd have a more complete arc. As is, her turnaround there at the end is so completely out of left field (not that I didn't expect it! It's that token Disney moment) that it does not mesh in the least with the previous presentation of her character.

Not at all disappointed by it, but I have to wonder why Nintendo advertised it as an origin story. Outside of
the master sword,
literally the entire plot could take place anywhere on the Zelda timeline.
There is some importance placed on Link and Zelda staying on the ground (what happened to Groose? He's got clear Gerudo stylings, yellow eyes, red hair, but he goes back to the clouds? Earlier in the game he even says he wants to stay, but ends up not? Really unsure about what happened there), but in the end that's forcing the player to accept "this is the beginning, because it's the beginning." It didn't work for me. It doesn't really function properly in that sense as a prequel to Ocarina of Time. Zelda and Link are the first Hylians just because.

And what the heck happened to Impa? Wasn't it mentioned in some prerelease media that she was the same Impa that appeared in other titles? How can that be, considering what happened to her?

Pachinko

I can't seem to beat this last part of the pumpkin landing questline.
The rhythm part. It's so fucking annoying cause I'm horrible at it. I follow their hands but I can't seem to get past it. What kind of crap is that?
Any good tips?

I did it today, the directions can be a bit misleading but just pick either the old guy or the young guy and follow their hand motions like a metronome, making sure to strum all the way in each direction. As for the solo part, no idea what to do there.

What I do know is I only just barely did it going by the dialog afterwards.

----------

On a side note I am now just shy of 40 hours and I've made it to what I can only assume is basically the end of the game. Out of the stuff you have to do near the end I will wholeheartedly agree that the forest portion is by far the worst. Protip- just spin like a bastard to grab the items and don't forget what you learned in the 4th dungeon for 1 item in particular.

After hearing about the bug I made a point to do all 3 parts in one sitting in the same order the game makes you go through the areas. No problems obviously. So now my only debate is just how much of the sub quest stuff I want to do, I should probably at least max out my shield for which I need 1 more monster horn an another 3 feathers. Dunno if I care about getting the rest for now. I wouldn't mind finding the remaining gratitude crystals either but otherwise I think I'm good.

Evlar

Banned
No problems obviously. So now my only debate is just how much of the sub quest stuff I want to do, I should probably at least max out my shield for which I need 1 more monster horn an another 3 feathers. Dunno if I care about getting the rest for now. I wouldn't mind finding the remaining gratitude crystals either but otherwise I think I'm good.

I would strongly, strongly suggest
going back to Lanayru Gorge and attempting the dragon's challenge. The Battle challenge is fun, it's hard, and it gives you the most valuable item you can have for the endgame: an unbreakable shield.

oatmeal

Banned
Just beat it...

Demise was easy. I got hit once on both parts and then realized his pattern...wtf? Why is everyone complaining? Block once, hit him. Block once hit him. When he has electricity, block three times, hit him once. Just be patient and don't get over anxious.

Ending was great, though. This might not be the best Zelda game, but it is absolutely the best Zelda story. It really nailed the entire series and actually gives a lot of weight to the title "The Legend of Zelda". Perfect.

Also, big WTF...I didn't know that doing a HERO SAVE would just delete all of my shit!!! I hadn't gotten all of the hearts, and I am not able to see how long it took (around 48 hours).

That's a huge bummer...I guess I have to play it in HERO MODE now.

I know it warned me, I just wasn't sure exactly what it meant. Lame.

Oh well...

Long story short:

This is a good Zelda game marred by a lot of inconsistent and lazy design choices. But it has the best story yet, and makes it really important in the series.

AniHawk

Just beat it...

Demise was easy. I got hit once on both parts and then realized his pattern...wtf? Why is everyone complaining? Block once, hit him. Block once hit him. When he has electricity, block three times, hit him once. Just be patient and don't get over anxious.

actually in the second segment, you're supposed to hold your sword up to catch the lightning and create your own skyward strike out of it.

Ending was great, though. This might not be the best Zelda game, but it is absolutely the best Zelda story. It really nailed the entire series and actually gives a lot of weight to the title "The Legend of Zelda". Perfect.

i think it's a lot better than zelda ii's backstory. zelda ii's backstory can still happen, but "WELL SHE'S ASLEEP NOW SO EVERY ZELDA IS CALLED ZELDA THAT'S THE LEGEND OF ZELDA" was kinda weak.

oatmeal

Banned
actually in the second segment, you're supposed to hold your sword up to catch the lightning and create your own skyward strike out of it.

i think it's a lot better than zelda ii's backstory. zelda ii's backstory can still happen, but "WELL SHE'S ASLEEP NOW SO EVERY ZELDA IS CALLED ZELDA THAT'S THE LEGEND OF ZELDA" was kinda weak.

Heh, I got that once and was like "oh shit!" but didn't do anything with it. I just kept swiping. Took about 15 swipes before he fell.

And yeah, I hope that they move forward in the series lore. Go past LttP and start tying up Zelda 1 and 2. If they can make it convincing, I'll be impressed.

oatmeal

Banned
Just an IMO...

3D Zelda bosses:

TP = OoT > TWW > MM > SS

Not that SS was bad, but it was really...short. Didn't have the epic feeling of bosses in the past.

peakish

I don't know if I'm doing it right though. I'm following their arms but the game doesn't really have a way of telling you if you're doing good besides obviously doing it. I hate this kind of stuff.

Like in Spirit Tracks they don't give you any feedback of when you're doing it correctly or not, I didn't know if I was supposed to move continuously or only "when their hands move". Plus there's no way to know which moves are up ahead without having played the track a few times. I wish they'd have done something better with the harp, playing it outside of these segments is actually quite a bit of fun but all the songs and this side stuff sucks.

Just an IMO...

3D Zelda bosses:

TP = OoT > TWW > MM > SS

Not that SS was bad, but it was really...short. Didn't have the epic feeling of bosses in the past.

I think they managed to vary how you fought the bosses much more this time than in TP instead of just making them huuuuge. Plus they could actually damage you this time and force you to use those potions.

Then again, TP had the Bone Dragon Skull with spinning up a wall fight, that was awesome.

Edit: (SS spoilers)
However SS hade a bit too much reuse even of bosses, with fighting Ghirahim two times in basically the same way (both times were fun though, and the third time was great), plus The Imprisoned three times. This goes for more than bosses of course, revisiting old areas with new challenges I don't mind, but there was just too much at times.

Anyway, did anyone else notice how much of a JERK Link was in the game?
Scamming poor, old ladies of rupees,thrashing candeliers, fooling girls into loving him and then never returning to that town, maaaaaan

Cmagus

I'm finding it incredibly hard to finish this game near the end I am super bored with it right now to the point where I just want to finish it and be done with it. It's not an awful game but there is just so much padding and pointless things you need to do that have really been killing it right through.I am at
the last pre-dungeon for the master sword quests and I got to the part where it wants you to get a bigger jar to pour water into the frogs mouth to open the door
and you know what at this point I just shut it off I honestly just don't want to leave and go back to get the item I'm really tired of running around doing pointless fetch quests.

I will finish it but I gotta say this is probably one of my least favourite Zelda games by far. The dungeons are ho hum at best and anything in
Lanryu Desert
is some of the worst sections I have played in a Zelda game it just goes on and on and the boss at the end isn't even worth it.

I do however like some of the
time stuff that's neat and it's a cool idea I keep thinking what if they did something like Ocarina of time where time was involved between link the adult and kid could make for something interesting.
I don't know how to feel about this game I was excited going into before release and I'm not a hardcore Zelda fan but something in this game just feels off and some of the production is downright lazy I hope the end is something great.

Just entered the Lanayru region for the first time. At first, I thought Skyward Sword was kinda disappointing, but man... It seems like it's getting better by the hour. I also like the fact that they implemented the treasure system from the DS entries. That really encourages me to revisit the area's, defeat monsters en pick up the loot. First Zelda game where I'm progressing so slowly (15h in), but it's such an amazing and entertaining piece of art.

ASIS

Wrong. Several of us discussed this earlier in the thread. She can--but does not always--appear without the player summoning her. No one was able to identify the exact trigger.

Unless you find proof that this is the case I believe this is just heresay, no video on youtube (that I have seen) had Fi Popping up without the button glowing.

Mistle

I definitely had to press down to get Fi for that part. Lucky I already had it solved in my mind, so I just triggered it for curiosities sake.

Top Bottom