• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

LaneDS

One day soon I will replay this. After having the wooden shield destroyed so quickly early on, I essentially wrote off shields for the entire game. On the last boss I realized how cool shields can be and it felt like a game changer. Looking forward to one day returning to the game and properly utilizing that shield bash.

Electric Brain

Neo Member
One day soon I will replay this. After having the wooden shield destroyed so quickly early on, I essentially wrote off shields for the entire game. On the last boss I realized how cool shields can be and it felt like a game changer. Looking forward to one day returning to the game and properly utilizing that shield bash.

I don't know how people broke their shields so easily. When you shield bash correctly, it's like a parry, and it takes no damage right?

I mean sure, I damaged my shield, but I don't think I ever had one destroyed.

It only takes damage if you hold it up, right? I think maybe my problem was I wasn't holding it out by default. I would normally in a zelda game, but that's because you just hold Z. In SS you actually have to shake to bring out your shield, and as soon as you attack, it goes away again.

Kard8p3

You know I really love the soundtrack for this game and it's really one of my favorites. I have to say though that I think I might like the spirit tracks soundtrack better. The sound quality is obviously better in Skyward Sword but there's alot of surprisingly great music in Spirit Tracks. I'd like to see the guy that composed the tracks for that game do a console zelda.

czk

Typical COD gamer
Quick question about the
Triforce song quest
:
Where do I need to plant the plant (to heal the Lanaryu Dragon)?

Anth0ny

TP and SS seem... rushed? What?

I'm not talking Wind Waker levels of rushed, but there are definitely some things that strike me as rushed in the game. Mainly, the tear collecting.

SS and TP have heaps more stuff than OoT. Rushed is the last thing I'd call them, especially SS, which feels polished all the way through (apart from slack desicions such as notifications). TP suffers a bit from a messy development process but it still doesn't feel rushed. And the Biggoron Sword was a fetch quest through and through, if that's another thing you complain about.

I agree that the physical reward is lousy, as I have no need for it, but the change-of-events reward is good enough for me.

Biggoron Sword is a good fetch quest. I like good fetch quests. Skyward Sword has no such thing, unfortunately.

SS and TP both have game breaking glitches, and tear collecting. TP has the blue rupee notification problem, and SS has the treasures notification problem. SS also has mad backtracking. I'm not saying that they are rushed, I'm just think they come off as rushed.
We didn't need to buffer each dungeon with tear collecting.
Think of something more interesting to do between dungeons, like in OOT or MM.

czk

Typical COD gamer
Biggoron Sword is a good fetch quest. I like good fetch quests. Skyward Sword has no such thing, unfortunately.

SS and TP both have game breaking glitches, and tear collecting. TP has the blue rupee notification problem, and SS has the treasures notification problem. SS also has mad backtracking. I'm not saying that they are rushed, I'm just think they come off as rushed.
Yeah, fetch quests definitely ruin the game. I just finished the
"Tardtunes"
job. It was a chore, as all of those quests in SS. They were making this game for so long, and half of it are fetchquests. It jus boggles my mind.

Kard8p3

I'm not talking Wind Waker levels of rushed, but there are definitely some things that strike me as rushed in the game. Mainly, the tear collecting.

The tears don't really bother me in Skyward Sword. I don't really think the biggoron sword fetch quest is good. The reward for doing it is good but the quest itself isn't anything special at all. It is optional though so at least it isn't forced on you.

I really don't know why most of the backtracking is considered a problem. There are a couple instances of bad backtracking but outside of that it's pretty good. Also when you really think about it almost the whole second half of Ocarina is just backtracking through areas you've already been to get to a new dungeon so in that sense most of the backtracking in SS is no different than what we had in Ocarina.

Post dungeon 6 spoilers:

god, I was so hoping that the gate of time would take you into the future and not even further into the past. Could have been an opportunity for crazy fan service.

Oh well...

Anth0ny

The tears don't really bother me in Skyward Sword. I don't really think the biggoron sword fetch quest is good. The reward for doing it is good but the quest itself isn't anything special at all. It is optional though so at least it isn't forced on you.

I really don't know why most of the backtracking is considered a problem. There are a couple instances of bad backtracking but outside of that it's pretty good. Also when you really think about it almost the whole second half of Ocarina is just backtracking through areas you've already been to get to a new dungeon so in that sense most of the backtracking in SS is no different than what we had in Ocarina.

Opinions and all that, but I'm not sure how you could say the biggoron sword fetch quest isn't good. You meet all kinds of memorable and interesting NPCs, trade items, travel across the entire overworld, and the payoff is a sword that trumps even the mighty Master Sword. And yes, it's optional, so no killing of pacing when you're trying to complete the main quest. Not sure what more I could ask for when it comes to a fun, immersive side quest.

The backtracking isn't too bad in SS, but the one everyone is complaining about is
going through the first dungeon again just to get water
. That wasn't necessary at all, and nothing like that happens in OOT. With Adult Link, you return to Young Link locations to discover new areas. Skyward Sword does this too, but, again
being forced to go through the first dungeon again is what everyone is going to point their finger at and remember.

Kard8p3

Opinions and all that, but I'm not sure how you could say the biggoron sword fetch quest isn't good. You meet all kinds of memorable and interesting NPCs, trade items, travel across the entire overworld, and the payoff is a sword that trumps even the mighty Master Sword. And yes, it's optional, so no killing of pacing when you're trying to complete the main quest. Not sure what more I could ask for when it comes to a fun, immersive side quest.

The backtracking isn't too bad in SS, but the one everyone is complaining about is
going through the first dungeon again just to get water
. That wasn't necessary at all, and nothing like that happens in OOT. With Adult Link, you return to Young Link locations to discover new areas. Skyward Sword does this too, but, again
being forced to go through the first dungeon again is what everyone is going to point their finger at and remember.

Oh I agree
that going back to the first dungeon for water was bad. I would also agree with everyone that thought the tadtones were bad.
Outside of those though I was fine with all the backtracking in SS. I guess the reason I didn't like the biggoron sword quest is because I just don't feel motivated to do it. I don't really care for the majority of the NPCs in Ocarina.

FreeMufasa

I personally think it sucks the
Whip
was as underutilized as it was, and as predictable when it was used. That could have been a cooler item. I also think the lack of the ability or use of items at the same time (again) was a wasted opportunity. Using these items in tandem could have set up great puzzles as well as ways to solve them differently, and even traverse the environment. The Wiimote should have been the perfect fit for this...

Me too. I was also pretty dissapointed by how little the double clawshot was under utilised. Reminds me of when I played TP, thinking you should have got this early in the game.

Mistle

I enjoyed the tadtones, and while
going through the first dungeon was dumb, it took all of 5-10 minutes with the shortcuts, so it wasn't a detriment to my opinion of the game at all.
Obviously I'm not defending it, but it sure isn't something I'll think of when I think "SS".

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
You guys are still talking about this game? Might as well comment, then.

I suppose it goes without saying, but NEVER help out a parent who's recently homeless by offering to have them stay with you. So I get SS a day or two after it comes out, and was planning on playing it throughout Thanksgiving break. Unfortunately, one problem is that we only have one T.V. and it's in the living room where my mom sleeps. I want to take the T.V. into my room at least until I'm done beating the game, but mom whines that she would get bored staring at the wall. So I say fine, I'll play in the living room, but the only thing I ask is that she not speak to me while I'm playing. She doesn't say anything but makes it completely obvious that she's not gonna do that.

Anyway, she goes to sleep, and I start SS and am enjoying myself for the most part. Some time after the first dungeon, I get surprised when all of a sudden, I hear "How are you enjoying your little girl game, SON?" :trollface

She was lambasting me for like half an hour, and I just couldn't play the goddamn game any more. Now, I have to wait until I either get a new T.V., or find a proper (read: cheap) old folks home.

Goddamn it all. :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
One of the bigger issues I have with SS in retrospect is enemy variety. It didn't really hit me when I was playing but it sticks out in hero mode a lot more.

Mistle

One of the bigger issues I have with SS in retrospect is enemy variety. It didn't really hit me when I was playing but it sticks out in hero mode a lot more.
Yeah, way too many Bobolkins. They definitely should have designed more enemies that incorporated different sword tactics or item use.

Yep, one of my main problems with the game.

I foresee a lot more people taking notice of this, and the other obvious downfalls, pretty soon. It's going to receive just as much criticism as TP and WW, if not more. That's a given being Zelda and all, but this time I feel like it's going to be a lot more justified.

Not saying it's a bad game, but I expected so much more 5 years after TP.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got this game! So far, very mixed feelings. I just got to the wooded area with the red swordy dudes.

Positives:
+ Combat is a blast.
+ Art style is absolutely stunning.
+ Amazing atmosphere. There's actual suspense and build-up, and a sense that Link is afraid of this ominous, evil force.
+ I love the new, familiar relationship between Link and Zelda. I love that they're childhood friends as opposed to strangers united by fate.

Negatives:
- TOO MANY FUCKING HINTS. Atrocious.
- The game took a while to get started. Long intro section. I kinda expected it, but it's still annoying.
- The pointing finger cursor seems to be really sluggish. Anyone else have problems with it?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, way too many Bobolkins. They definitely should have designed more enemies that incorporated different sword tactics or item use.

Aye. The Bobolkins are also INSANELY easy if you don't Z target, they will not block 90% of the time.

good response. it's nice to respond to someone with a brain on their shoulders.

I've seen the LttP comparison a few times, and I don't get it. SS is structurally the least LttP-like of the 3D Zeldas. Instead of a comparatively open, seamless overworld, SS has fairly linear, disconnected maps. You can never wander far from the beaten path.

i'm not talking about the structure of the entire game, i'm talking of the provinces themselves. they're humongous in land mass and very dense. if you stick a few gateways to new sections, they would make for perfect zelda overworlds.

yes, they are linear the first time you go through them. you go forward and you construct shortcuts, and when you come back the second and third times, the entire field is open to you. this is where the LttP comparison comes in for me. when you've done the first mission, you're free to explore and find pieces of heart and goddess cubes and whatnot. there's room to grow with this kind of setup, don't get me wrong, but it was refreshing to have this amount of content in the type of game field that is usually reserved for a quick trek into the dungeon.

Zelda games have almost been like Metroid in that you explore areas, see doors you can't open or gaps you can't cross, and then return later to take advantage of your new power-ups/items. But the Metroid that SS most resembles is, as Zoukka points out, MP3 - the most restrictive and least SM-like of the 3D installments.

what i meant by metroid-lite are that items are occasionally used to advance the main game itself, rather than just with secrets. it's rare, so it's a big lite, but i liked it that they'd stick you back into the giant province and tell you to find whatever. since i refused to dowse, that's where i got the metroid impression.

this really can't be compared to MP3. that game is so dry, linear and obvious that i can't even afford it another replay. SS is guided by the obnoxious hand of Fi, but even though she chooses which order you tackle the provinces and when, you're given free reign in the game fields themselves.

as for the disconnect, well, it's obvious why people have the impression. you can only get to the three provinces through the sky, and thus, a disconnect. yet most 3D games with focused design, from ocarina of time to metroid prime, have their sections just as disconnected and cutoff from the rest of the game, despite a few arbitrary (but useful) shortcuts. the only differences between em is that one set of games has you walk to get to them and the other set has you fly to get to them. 3D action-adventure games still have room to grow, and obviously the GTA route is not the answer.

SS did do things to address this disconnect though. it was through the consistent artstyle, through seeing the other sections in the background, and through item usage and familiar enemies. metroid prime 3's sections totally clashed against each other.

SS shows that EAD is perfectly capable of designing an environment that can entertain the player the first time through without becoming a slog on repeat visits

i disagree. the first jaunt is certainly entertaining, but in an instant gratification way with its linearity and focus of design. the return trips were more interesting to me, because there was no more leash in the level design.

(although I think there was a letdown in giving the player a reason to actually want to revisit the areas).

yeah, there should've been more things to find in the provinces, maybe even new, non-main quest related trails that would lead to a prize or something.

If anything, I think the post-OoT Zeldas show the series didn't need a radical alteration in structure but a subtle one back toward LttP. Look at the critical reception of the post-OoT Zeldas. The most criticized elements tend to be the structural departures from OoT: these are mainly pre-dungeon fetch quests in the 3D games (triforks, tears, and a couple of items in SS) and the central dungeon/transportation focus in the handheld games. Meanwhile, there is near universal approval for the elements that make direct improvements on OoT: better graphics, deeper NPC interaction, more engaging combat.

TP's map is an important outlier. Nintendo clearly thought they were making a bigger, badder version of Hyrule Field. They were only right about the "bigger" part. Everyone complained (justifiably) that the field was too empty and too large to merit exploration. But the empty thing was a problem in Ocarina too, and what that suggests to me is not that the entire structure is broken, but that the one refinement it has needed all along has been missing. We have not had a 3D Zelda that genuinely tried to recreate both the density and the openness of LttP's overworld. Each game has had either openness or density or neither (although MM perhaps came closest to getting both). Why not give that a try before we decide the entire formula's got to be chucked?

the closest games that follow the 2D zelda structure these days would be the elder scroll series and fallout 3/nv; a wide, seamless world littered with content. i don't like it, but of course, that's just me. i far prefer a mix of linearity and non-linearity; you go forward in sections, but then those sections are big and open to explore. it's why i adore final fantasy 12 so much. you're going forward, you're taking part in a real important journey™, but you can stop and smell the roses too. the reason why the openness worked for 2D zelda is because your items or lack thereof blocked your progress, which is why it's sometimes charged with the "illusion of freedom." it would be quite difficult to take 2D zelda openness with its traditional metroid-like progression, and have it feel like a seamless open world. and i'm not sure i'd even want that anyway; i'd certainly be interested, but open world games give me a feeling of passivity rather than activity. i'd rather walk to the dungeon rather than stumble and trip into the dungeon.

ASIS

Seriously. Compare it to the payoff of sidequests in past games:

BiggoronSword.png

Fierce_Deity%27s_Mask.png

I should really stop comparing this game to OOT and MM. Making it look worse than it is. Too bad OOT and MM are just filled to the brim with awesome shit. The three 3D Zeldas since seem rushed in comparison.

Uh..huh.. And what did you get for the skultula side quest?

The
the Hylian shield was more useful and more iconic than the fierce diety mask BTW

Please look at SS for what it is, and don't compare it to OOT and MM and then blame it for not being exactly that.

Gino

I wish they would give this the majora's mask/galaxy 2 treatment and use the same engine to release another one in like 18 months. They could make it hd and put it on wii u even.

Seems like they can do a lot of creative things since they won't have to worry about graphics and controls.

ASIS

I wish they would give this the majora's mask/galaxy 2 treatment and use the same engine to release another one in like 18 months. They could make it hd and put it on wii u even.

Seems like they can do a lot of creative things since they won't have to worry about graphics and controls.

They were restricted on graphics. But not controls.

Seriously. Compare it to the payoff of sidequests in past games:

BiggoronSword.png

Fierce_Deity%27s_Mask.png

I should really stop comparing this game to OOT and MM. Making it look worse than it is. Too bad OOT and MM are just filled to the brim with awesome shit. The three 3D Zeldas since seem rushed in comparison.

I like how you didn't mention the reward for the longest and most involved sidequest in OOT.

john tv

Question about the pumpkin landing sidequest:

WTF is the deal with playing the harp while Kina sings? What exactly are you supposed to do to satisfy these idiots?

WTF is the deal with playing the harp while Kina sings? What exactly are you supposed to do to satisfy these idiots?

It's a pain in the ass and mostly trial and error.
Basically just memorize the pattern when you fail so you know when they do the three-times-quick sways and the two-times-quick sways. It's the same every time, but it's almost impossible to anticipate the changes the first time.

Just to more explicitly explain in case you're totally confused:

Swing the Wiimote left and right in time with their sways, just like when you're playing the Goddess songs. Most of the time they're doing a steady left-right movement, but at the end of some phrases they switch it up with a quick left-right-left or a pause and left-right.

Red

I don't get this. I'm in Lanrayu Desert and the puzzles are totally kicking my ass right now. I've been hitting GameFAQS overtime for this game, I'm ashamed to say.

What puzzles? The only two "puzzles" in Lanayru I can remember are the
shallow paths on the map
, which Fi completely ruins before you even have a chance to think about it, and
the twisty wheel switch thing.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
What puzzles? The only two "puzzles" in Lanayru I can remember are the
shallow paths on the map
, which Fi completely ruins before you even have a chance to think about it, and
the twisty wheel switch thing.

I was trying to active the three generators to open the gate. I was having trouble activating the third switch located across the chasm surrounded by quicksand.

I was really tired at this point, I'll try it again tonight.

Sinthetic

Seriously, I have always spouted how bad I am at puzzles, in the past I've tried a puzzle for a few minutes then gone to YouTube to watch how to do it... But in this game, I've figured everything out for myself and that should explain how easy they are.

You get a new item, you go back to a place where you can use said item and so on.

luffeN

I am currently in front of
the Lanayru Dragon and he asks if I want to fight some tough enemies or do the silent realm.
Which one is easier?

I am currently in front of
the Lanayru Dragon and he asks if I want to fight some tough enemies or do the silent realm.
Which one is easier?

I never tried his
Silent Realm trials
, but if you want a really good shield, you should
do the enemies. It will be a boss gauntlet, and you'll have to win 8 or 9 fights before quitting

Seriously, I have always spouted how bad I am at puzzles, in the past I've tried a puzzle for a few minutes then gone to YouTube to watch how to do it... But in this game, I've figured everything out for myself and that should explain how easy they are.

You get a new item, you go back to a place where you can use said item and so on.

Huh? I'm not sure you are using the word puzzle properly here. I can think of many instances where this is incorrect.

leroidys

just move it to a steady beat the entire time. Don't try and follow their hands for the more rhythmic parts, just keep doing the same beat the entire time (except for the solo).

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Im on the quest to get an Item after the 4th dungeon. Man this is so good and yet so frustrating at the same time.

The god damn mines had some awful design ideas. I hate quicksand esp with the new fatigue system. I loved the time shifting, i wish they did some more stuff with it. WTF another fetch quest so soon after a dungeon witch had me fetching shit just to get in it.

I was all aboard the waggle wagon early on with the wii, but I hope they never make a motion controlled zelda again. A lot of things that are usually fun to do are so awful because of unnecessary motion controls. Flying should be fun! using the shield should be fun! I shouldn't be struggling to fucking throw a bomb! Thank god the sword fighting is so well done. Hopefully if they do another motion zelda, they keep the sword fighting and dump everything else.

Anth0ny

I like how you didn't mention the reward for the longest and most involved sidequest in OOT.

Uh..huh.. And what did you get for the skultula side quest?

The
the Hylian shield was more useful and more iconic than the fierce diety mask BTW

Please look at SS for what it is, and don't compare it to OOT and MM and then blame it for not being exactly that.

yeah skulltulla reward was brutal lol

but at least the biggoron's sword quest existed. What's the equivalent in SS?

and I don't put the Hylian Shield even close to Fierce Deity, you don't even need shields in this game until the final boss. Besides, we've had the hylian sheild in almost EVERY Zelda game. Fierce Deity was an awesome, new transformation. It's not even close, really.

DarkKyo

Was anybody else hoping that
Impa from SS was the Impa in OOT due to traveling through one of the time gates in SS into the far future
?

It would almost make perfect sense if they set it up that way. That the only existing member from a dead race(Impa in OOT) came from thousands of years in the past(Impa in SS). Impa in OOT could even pass as an older version of Impa from SS. Also, I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere, but the Goddess's harp in SS is the one that Sheik ends up using, right? If so that would make sense for Impa from SS to deliver it through time to the Zelda from OOT. I just think it would be cool for a single character to have existed in multiple chapters of the LoZ story

MisterHero

just move it to a steady beat the entire time. Don't try and follow their hands for the more rhythmic parts, just keep doing the same beat the entire time (except for the solo).
I got it finally after I adjusted my harp-playing style, I had to make broader swings

I did better but I don't think that's how you play a harp. Well, at least one that small, anyways.

DarkKyo

I got it finally after I adjusted my harp-playing style, I had to make broader swings

I did better but I don't think that's how you play a harp

I found that being "theatrical" with it helped.. Really emphasizing the motion of each swing and loosening up my wrist helped.

Hiltz

34 hours in but haven' played in a couple of days. I recently finished the
Lanaryu silent realm
area. I's a shame that
clawshot
gadget isn't quite as fun to use as the one in Twilight Princess.

I'm currently trying to get the
baby rattle
sidequest in Skyloft, but not sure how to tilt the Wii remote to skydive properly. Screwed up a couple of times.

Hiltz

Where are you diving from? By the
cave where your loftwing is originally held?

Yeah, it's near that area where use the
clawshot to grab the vines on the left side of the floating island. Then grab the vines on the a second floating island on the right side with the waterfall.
Apparently, the spot to jump I think is that patch of ground to the left of the
Sheikah stone.

MisterHero

Keep the Wii remote level and pointing forward because that's how it sets the diving controls after you dive off the island.

Nudge right and make sure you're tilting forward enough to make it onto the nest.

Top Bottom