• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

HeySeuss

I don't think difficulty is the source of complaints against the Silent Realm. Personally, I liked the Silent Realm better than its equivalents in TP and PH/SS. It's a more focused mini-game, and (compared to the DS games) it benefits from the inherent fun of moving Link around in a 3D world. I even outright enjoyed the final Silent Realm, but I wouldn't particularly want to replay it or its predecessors. Redundancy is a real problem when (end-game spoilers)
you've got four of the same thing
, and even that I might not resent as much if the dialogue beforehand didn't suggest different sorts of challenges.

I thought the game was slightly more difficult than TP and TWW. Losing a full heart to enemy attacks made a difference. I actually used a fairy in this one, which I think is the first time that's happened since that horrible fish boss in MM (Gyrog)?.
I would agree with that if the enemies weren't so slow and deliberate with their attacks.

I thought the Silent Realms were fun too and saw them as nice diversions. I agree though, much better than the TP versions.

rhino4evr

I'm about to fight the 3rd dungeon boss. This dungeon/area has been a real highlight so far. It's this kinda stuff that classifys as "Nintendo Magic"

ramyeon

Okay I need help.

I can't figure out how to control Link while he's gliding/falling from a really high place. Like on the game in Fun Fun Island or whatever. I can't, for the life of me, figure it out. No matter how I move the controller he doesn't move where I want him to. Can someone clue me in on how you're supposed to do it?

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about to fight the 3rd dungeon boss. This dungeon/area has been a real highlight so far. It's this kinda stuff that classifys as "Nintendo Magic"

I just finished that last night. The Lanayru area and dungeon has been the highlight of the game for me so far. It's an amazing example of top tier level design with a great boss at the end. I'm impatiently waiting for some batteries to charge so that I can jump back in and continue on from that point.

On a related note, I did find it amusing that Fi interrupted the boss battle last night to tell me that my batteries were going flat. It's the little things like that that make me think that this is going to be my GoTY.

Pancho

Qurupancho
So Im just before the final battle, If I beat the game does the game automatically saves over my file to start Hero Mode?

cacophony

Did anyone else get this much into Zelda? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSoLbgiXX84

I myself haven't played it yet.

ray_j.gif

HeySeuss

Okay I need help.

I can't figure out how to control Link while he's gliding/falling from a really high place. Like on the game in Fun Fun Island or whatever. I can't, for the life of me, figure it out. No matter how I move the controller he doesn't move where I want him to. Can someone clue me in on how you're supposed to do it?
I think the trick is to keep the wiimote level when link starts his dive. That way the movements register more accurately.

Poyunch

Yeah the Wiimote calibrates at the start of the glide. If you're pointing down with the Wiimote at the start, the controller registers it as the "level" position.

Pachinko

Well I wrapped it up. Didn't get 100%, I'm missing the final shield , half the grabbitude crackles , 12 heart pieces I guess and probably a few goddess cubes.

I'm not sure what to make of the whole experience, it peaked in the middle for me. After a slow and frustrating opening 5 hours it got better with each dungeon , 4 and 5 especially I enjoyed the areas leading up to them as well as the dungeons themselves, not to mention some memorable boss encounters at their conclusion. Sadly , for me at least the remainder of the game was a tumultuous ride, re-experiencing the lows from the opening parts of the game
I really hated fighting girahim , like I think he wasted 2 perfectly good boss rooms with his frustrating and boring presence , I enjoy fighting giant beasts not some androgynous tap dancing pretty boy
. Mostly I'm left with an overall opinion now that it's all said and done of "that's it ?"

When I finished off twilight princess , aside from being glad I defeated Ganon after being frustrated with the controls failing me constantly , I was overjoyed. I felt the game adequately presented everything in it's world , enjoyed all the dungeons and the bitter taste of TP's overcooked introduction was long gone. Just an overall fantastic superior follow-up to Ocarina of Time. It's like OOT if the concept was brought fully to life instead of being held back by the hardware. Underrated.

When I finished Wind Waker (my favorite of the 3d zeldas) I was left with my jaw on the floor at how awesomely cinematic the final encounter was and the somber yet hopeful ending left me wishing there were more dungeons and a tighter world map in the game. Still I had immense fun with 99% of what I did in wind waker, I used a guide to deal with the triforce segments and the only portion of the game that really gave me grief was the brief stealth segment in that games opening act. I would love for nintendo to give us a wind waker complete, 2 more dungeons and a bit of trimming around the fringes and it'd be the best zelda game period. Still has the best world, best characters and best graphics.

When I finished OOT it gave me a great sense of accomplishment, I felt I had really been on an adventure the entire game and killing ganondorf the pig man , represented by a huge character model with zelda lobbing silver arrows away was awesome back in '98. OOT is just an iconic game and despite it's short comings (an insipidly dull hyrule field) I can't truly hate on it. Especially when there's an improved edition available for 3DS.

My point in all this is that each of the 3 games I just mentioned all gave me a sense of enjoyment and accomplishment , with skyward sword I felt once the credits finished that I'd done little thematically. I still had fun with the game obviously , you don't play a game for 45 hours that isn't fun unless you are some kind of masochist. I feel that SS is the logical step forward for the series , an interesting experiment in motion controls and a good game , it's still a good zelda game to boot. What I simply don't see happening here though, compared to any of the 3 previous entries ( I ignore majoras mask because it's barely a zelda game and I played it for only an hour and gave up) is , 10 years from now someone saying "gee guys I really loved skyward sword, how come they didn't make another one like that ?".

It's a worthy entry to the franchise and in many ways a suitable 25th anniversary title , I just wish , oddly , that It held just a little more of old school zeldas tropes in place. We only get a "real" zelda game pretty much once a generation so the complaint about them all being remakes of link to the past or following to closely the structure OOT put forth ... I just don't have those same problems. I actually WANT to play a slightly re-imagined zelda game with a similar story/setup but with better mechanics and production values. It's not that I hate change or am opposed to it entirely but I'd like if the next zelda game had 10-12 dungeons instead of the 6 or 7 that seem the norm more recently. Make them a bit smaller if you have to, I just like fighting zelda bosses and having a nice variety of items to use.

Skyward sword has only 8 pieces of equipment and 1 of them is an optional item while another still is a redundant device ( who would use the slingshot once you have the bow?). I'm not saying I have a clear idea of where this series could go next but I'd enjoy the next entry to be focused less on widget gathering and more on puzzle solving and monster killing. Perhaps a master sword that can change into different weapon types and a heavier combat focus ?

Who knows , I look forward to the future.

D-Pad

Okay. How the heck are you supposed to beat (late boss spoiler)
imprisoned v.2.?? Each step he takes creates a shockwave that knocks Link back so I can't use my sword. The first time I got lucky with fairies. Groose can't ready the canon fast enough, and even then, I'm only able to destroy one or two of the monster's toes. This shit killed my boss rush streak.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
imprisoned v.2.?? Each step he takes creates a shockwave that knocks Link back so I can't use my sword. The first time I got lucky with fairies. Groose can't ready the canon fast enough, and even then, I'm only able to destroy one or two of the monster's toes. This shit killed my boss rush streak.

Don't bother attacking his feet, just use the vents to get above him. Fire the Groosenator to stun him, then jump on his head/back directly and smack the pillar in.

Levyne

Banned
I always used groose to stun him, killed the front 3 toes, finish off the back, of one foot, then that foot moves more slowly and without shockwave so just stay near it and attack the other between shockwaves.

I just beat the 3rd dungeon and fought the boss in the
Sealed Grounds

Skyward Sword is solid so far. Two huge problems I've had with the series are being addressed: lack of difficulty and lack of incentive to use rupees. That's not the case in SS. Since the enemies are more difficult, there is a reason to buy upgrades, potions, and other items, and that makes collecting rupees useful. And that makes exploring more rewarding. It's a domino effect.

With that said, the dialogue does move slow, and the dungeons don't live up to the build up that the dungeon-like surface world overworld present. But the dungeons are decent enough.

I need to say that while I felt I was going to dread the story in SS, it turns out that it's done quite well so far. The characters and writing are leagues better than TP and are almost on par with WW and MM. Groose and Zelda are wonderful characters.

I'll give my full and final impressions on the motion controls and the rest of the game once I complete it.

Red

Another victim of misdirection.

The solution has been posted above, but I expect that most players are having this same problem.

Branduil

I always used groose to stun him, killed the front 3 toes, finish off the back, of one foot, then that foot moves more slowly and without shockwave so just stay near it and attack the other between shockwaves.

People actually bothered attacking his feet?

Red

People actually bothered attacking his feet?

How is this a question?

You start the fight level to his feet, they are the default lock for Z targeting, and Fi tells you to go after them during the first fight against him.

They are the immediate, obvious target.

I don't see the point in asking such condescending questions, just because you apparently have a mega brain and could immediately ascertain what to do, knowing right away to discard every clue and attack him from up top despite beginning the fight meters away from literal pulsing weak points.

leroidys

So I'm at the very end and, man, I am so disappointed with the items in this game. Only one of them is actually new,
the beetle
, and its certainly awesome, but it doesn't make up for the others. I am totally okay with there being very few items as long as they are all interesting and used fairly frequently but the
slingshot
whip
and
gust bellows
are almost never used. When they are, it's just "derp, theres a
wind platform
time to use the
gust bellows
. The
whip
also seems to have a lot less uses than its equivalent in previous games. A shame after how awesome it was in Spirit Tracks.

As for the others, the
double clawshot
is awesome, but not nearly as cool or as utilized as in TP.

I love the
bug catching net
. It's so stupid and so fun. I never got tired of
catching bugs

The
digging mitts/mogma mitts
were cool, well implemented, and used often. They were probably the best item in the game besides the
beetle

The
hylian shield
was disappointing. By the time you get it, you've probably just stopped using
shields anyway.
It doesn't look that cool either.

I love the fan service of bringing back the
white sword.
The
master sword
is awesome as well in this. The swordplay in general was amazing, one of the best combat systems I've used in a 3D adventure game. It's very frustrating to start, but by the end of the game if you've taken the time to learn, you dispatch everything you encounter with ease. Doing the
boss rush
really serves to underline this.

Levyne

Banned
So I'm at the very end and, man, I am so disappointed with the items in this game. Only one of them is actually new,
the beetle
, and its certainly awesome, but it doesn't make up for the others. I am totally okay with there being very few items as long as they are all interesting and used fairly frequently but the
slingshot
whip
and
gust bellows
wind platform
time to use the
gust bellows
. The
whip
also seems to have a lot less uses than its equivalent in previous games. A shame after how awesome it was in Spirit Tracks.

As for the others, the
double clawshot

I love the
bug catching net
catching bugs

The
were cool, well implemented, and used often. They were probably the best item in the game besides the
beetle

The
hylian shield
shields anyway.

white sword.
The
master sword
is awesome as well in this. The swordplay in general was amazing, one of the best combat systems I've used in a 3D adventure game. It's very frustrating to start, but by the end of the game if you've taken the time to learn, you dispatch everything you encounter with ease. Doing the
boss rush

The only item I didn't like was the
whip
. Way underused. Also I never stopped using shields...

Branduil

How is this a question?

You start the fight level to his feet, they are the default lock for Z targeting, and Fi tells you to go after them during the first fight against him.

They are the immediate, obvious target.

I don't see the point in asking such condescending questions, just because you apparently have a mega brain and could immediately ascertain what to do, knowing right away to discard every clue and attack him from up top despite beginning the fight meters away from literal pulsing weak points.

I guess it was just Shadow of the Colossus instincts but given his size and the layout of the area my immediate thought was "get up high and jump on his head."

the beetle
slingshot
whip
and
gust bellows
wind platform
time to use the
gust bellows
. The
whip

As for the others, the
double clawshot

I love the
bug catching net
catching bugs

The
beetle

The
hylian shield
shields anyway.

Item talk so I'll just spoiler tag all of this
I totally agree about the whip and gust bellows. The whip could have been entirely subsumed by the clawshots if they'd just kept the ability to extend/retract the chain. Why should I need an entirely separate item to swing from place to place or throw a switch (some of which are within Link's reach)? Gust bellows seem to be a missed opportunity more than anything else. The director mentioned how he loved the item because "you can do anything with hit," but in SS you can use it to (a) clean the floor (which isn't fun) or (b) activate those wind-propelled platforms. Not that cool.

I was harsh about the slingshot before, but given how overpowered the bow is by the time you get it, I can kind of see why they would want to give you a baby projectile weapon to start out the game.

At least the beetle was awesome.

I liked shields. Parrying was one of the best parts of SS combat. Although you're right that you could easily go without a shield through most of the game.

mugwhump

Okay I need help.

It's not just pitch and roll that matter. Yaw matters too. Yaw lets you actually spin link around to face different directions.

Red

I guess it was just Shadow of the Colossus instincts but given his size and the layout of the area my immediate thought was "get up high and jump on his head."
Which is fine, but surely you can see how others would act differently.

the beetle
slingshot
whip
and
gust bellows
wind platform
time to use the
gust bellows
. The
whip

As for the others, the
double clawshot

I love the
bug catching net
catching bugs

The
beetle

The
hylian shield
shields anyway.

white sword.
The
master sword
boss rush

Yeah, some of the items felt underused despite being really fun when they do come into play.
I would have liked to see more enemies that have a weakness to the whip and gust bellows, for example.

On the other hand, I loved using the shields. They seem more versatile than they did in previous games.

blamite

Realizing you could
use the bow to kill the toes
made it much easier.

leroidys

All the imprisoned talk brings up another thing that was new and good about this zelda. Many bosses and stronger enemies had multiple ways to beat them. It was always frustrating in previous games where a boss's weakpoint just arbitrarily wouldn't be affected by certain weapons. That happens here too of course, but there's a lot more room for creativity.

mugwhump

I think some of you guys should be interested in this. Basically an annoyance patch for Skyward Sword.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PQSMXSLK

Just drag to SD card (if you have homebrew). It's got codes to turn off the item notifications, beeping heart meter, and Fi's nagging, and speed up the text. Can also unlock hero mode if you want that.

This by itself fixes half of my complaints with SS, lol. Can't believe Nintendo fucked up with the notifications again.

Mistle

I think some of you guys should be interested in this. Basically an annoyance patch for Skyward Sword.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6MNG1Q1I

Just drag to SD card (if you have homebrew). It's got codes to turn off the item notifications, beeping heart meter, and Fi's nagging. Can also unlock hero mode if you want that.

This by itself fixes half of my complaints with SS, lol. Can't believe Nintendo fucked up with the notifications again.
Definitely using this on my replay.

I honestly thought it was unintential in Twilight Princess, that it was a bug they hadn't fixed or something... But being in SS also means that they really think have no short-term memory...

Mistle

I honestly thought it was unintential in Twilight Princess, that it was a bug they hadn't fixed or something... But being in SS also means that they really think have no short-term memory...
Same here lol. But I was always questioning the rupee thing in TP as there's no way that could pass bug testers... Both situations are absurd.

In SS, I figured out that you can pick treasures up with the Beetle and it doesn't give you a message. Slight work around but by no means a fix.

Ok, I need some non-spoiler assistance with gratitude crystal collecting..... ....and also points to Bealtreux(sp?) house as well. Can I get a hint as to what I'm missing to get these?
Btw I'm searching myself and just found these. They're
not near Batreaux's house at all. They're in that section of Skyloft that you visit at the very start of the game to rescue the Loftwing.

I have 73 crystals now.. And none left in Skyloft :S So I'm pretty confused where the hell I'll get any more, lol. I guess there's still time for quests to unlock, but I doubt it. It seem like theres 1 quest left and 2 stray ones.

Top Bottom