• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

jluedtke

I need help with one of the Gratitude Crystal missions. It's the one where the
shopkeeper can't get any sleep because his kid's rattle is missing. I know you're supposed to dive off that cliff onto the nest, but when I dive I can't even get close. Is there some secret to skydiving? Do I have to hold the WiiMote a certain way? It seems like the windmill is blowing me back every time I get close to it.

HELP!

Same here lol. But I was always questioning the rupee thing in TP as there's no way that could pass bug testers... Both situations are absurd.

In SS, I figured out that you can pick treasures up with the Beetle and it doesn't give you a message. Slight work around but by no means a fix.

Btw I'm searching myself and just found these. They're
not near Batreaux's house at all. They're in that section of Skyloft that you visit at the very start of the game to rescue the Loftwing.

I have 73 crystals now.. And none left in Skyloft :S So I'm pretty confused where the hell I'll get any more, lol. I guess there's still time for quests to unlock, but I doubt it. It seem like theres 1 quest left and 2 stray ones.

Check your quest log. Did you get all the items in the lower left corner?

Tenbatsu

shopkeeper can't get any sleep because his kid's rattle is missing. I know you're supposed to dive off that cliff onto the nest, but when I dive I can't even get close. Is there some secret to skydiving? Do I have to hold the WiiMote a certain way? It seems like the windmill is blowing me back every time I get close to it.

HELP!
Just point the wii remote about 45 degree down for a fast dive. Retry a few times and you will get the timing to reach your destination.

HELP!

Dive forward towards it, similar to the motion used to give your bird a boost. My best advice is to wait until the little beeping noise that indicates you can open your sail cloth starts. Immediately press B. That'll guarantee a landing with minimal effort

illadelph

Just got up to the third dungeon, the stuff leading up to it.......ummm...I don't know how they come up with this shit, but I'm glad they do

Smellycat

Holy fucking crap,
Lanayru Mining Facility
was fuck awesome!

Yep, everything in the
Lanayru province
is amazing. It is easily the best province in the game. The team behind it should be the main team for the next Zelda game. They deserve it! I really hope Nintendo pays attention to consumer feedback and reception!

Kard8p3

Yep, everything in the
Lanayru province
is amazing. It is easily the best province in the game. The team behind it should be the main team for the next Zelda game. They deserve it! I really hope Nintendo pays attention to consumer feedback and reception!

I like to think having a different team develop each area was kind of like a test to see who should be in charge of the next zelda. If that were the case I think we all know who won.

maharg

idspispopd
I like to think having a different team develop each area was kind of like a test to see who should be in charge of the next zelda. If that were the case I think we all know who won.

Given the progression of Zelda games since going 3d, I'm thinking whoever designed Skyloft won in EAD's eyes.

Forkball

In (pre-third dungeon spoilers)
Lanayru Desert. Pretty cool so far, the timeshift stuff was unexpected but make sense once you realize what's there. These hookshot icons are teasing me, I better get it soon.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
WTF? Is that the Legendary Hero himself? Bow. Whoever finished the game and complained the controls are bad/not precise or whatever should just watch this video and STFU.

Didn't know you can
steal the thunder

What, you mean the
Skyward Strike
. I hit on that on my second attempt by observing and being like "wait a second...if he's...then can I?" That moment of realization was very cool for me, it was one of those where I felt they were doing a good job by showing and not telling.
Otherwise
he's far too frustrating to defeat in sword combat IMO

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Post third dungeon spoilers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roaskSAwa_w&t=3m20s

What the hell is this song called? It's my favorite in the game.

Anyone? ;_;

What, you mean the
Skyward Strike
. I hit on that on my second attempt by observing and being like "wait a second...if he's...then can I?"
Otherwise
he's far too frustrating to defeat in sword combat IMO

He's really easy if you just triple parry and hit him. I didn't know you could take the lightning until after I beat it. :\

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Anyone? ;_;

He's really easy if you just triple parry and hit him. I didn't know you could take the lightning until after I beat it. :\

For some reason
I was able to triple parry him in his first form, but when his sword is charged with lightning I either kept getting the timing wrong or else his strike was hitting me through my shield (Hylian)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I mixed triple parrying with lightning strikes... also missed the last hit purposefully so I could fight him some more. He's just way too easy.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
For some reason
I was able to triple parry him in his first form, but when his sword is charged with lightning I either kept getting the timing wrong or else his strike was hitting me through my shield (Hylian)

You only had to parry once on the first form, the third it NEEDS to be 3 on time ones or he'll knock you off balance. There's some way to make him kneel to the ground and hit him a lot but I never figured out how.

But yeah, that's the "wrong" way, or atleast the much less awesome one.
The first thing I did in the fight was see what Fi had to say, and she said "Skyward Strikes won't work in this realm" so I never even thought to try afterwards. One more for the book on why not to use Fi, ever.

JaseMath

I keep going in and out of this thread hoping to ease the wait until after New Years (when I'll have time to play)...and then I started playing Twilight Princess...nothing works. You guys are lucky.

Kard8p3

Late game spoilers
So I don't know why I hadn't noticed before but I just realized you can't fight Levias in the boss rush mode. It's weird that they put the horde fight in there (which isn't even really a boss fight) but left out an actual boss fight.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Why can't I find any site that sells the OST of this game? I need this inside me, right now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Because they haven't put out the OST.
Oh! When is it gonna be released?

Also, I'm trying to find the song that's sooo good - it plays when you meet Zelda for the first time I think? I can't really describe it, but it's got a flute-solo involved <,<...

Kard8p3

Also, I'm trying to find the song that's sooo good - it plays when you meet Zelda for the first time I think? I can't really describe it, but it's got a flute-solo involved <,<...

They've never mentioned releasing it so who knows. I'm sure the theme you're looking for is floating around on youtube.

Yoshichan

Seriously, it's like an extended version of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttQt9CUe8nU

Like, it seems to cut in the middle or something... there's supposed to be an awesome flute-solo somewhere in it! Anyone ;_;?

Sagitario

Okay I need help.

I can't figure out how to control Link while he's gliding/falling from a really high place. Like on the game in Fun Fun Island or whatever. I can't, for the life of me, figure it out. No matter how I move the controller he doesn't move where I want him to. Can someone clue me in on how you're supposed to do it?

aNcRL.gif

Use the Wiimote like a key.
Roll left and right. Pitch up and down. Practice in the sky. Once it clicks you, it's awesome and fun! :D

Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Twilight Princess... none of them got official soundtrack releases :(

RedSwirl

God fucking damnit. I don't know why I saved over my clear file with Hard Mode before getting 100% on Normal.

I WANT to do this shit again, but I ain't even installed Skyrim yet! My fall 2011 backlog alone will prevent me from ever getting back on this.

Yoshichan

Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Twilight Princess... none of them got official soundtrack releases :(
That is so dumb... WHY DO THEY DO THIS!?

I think some of you guys should be interested in this. Basically an annoyance patch for Skyward Sword.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6MNG1Q1I

Just drag to SD card (if you have homebrew). It's got codes to turn off the item notifications, beeping heart meter, and Fi's nagging. Can also unlock hero mode if you want that.

This by itself fixes half of my complaints with SS, lol. Can't believe Nintendo fucked up with the notifications again.

Will this corrupt my save if I decide to use this patch?

Yoshichan

Making the romance 2-song my ring signal :D

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Technically, TP got a small soundtrack CD with the master sword + hylian shield model combo. Also I think it came with some nintendo power issue or something.

iGbzmvXwUsUXs.png

I personally think it sucks the
Whip
was as underutilized as it was, and as predictable when it was used. That could have been a cooler item. I also think the lack of the ability or use of items at the same time (again) was a wasted opportunity. Using these items in tandem could have set up great puzzles as well as ways to solve them differently, and even traverse the environment. The Wiimote should have been the perfect fit for this...

Mistle

Just got all the gratitude crystals, wasn't a chore in the slightest. I got all the sidequest ones purely from playing the game and not dedicating any time to finding them. I just spent about 30 mins dowsing out the last few, which were no problem to find.

In regards to the reward..
Wow, 9000 wallet? I can now hold 9900... is there any way to get to 10,000? Unless a goddess chest thing holds an extra +100 expansion, it doesn't seem like it. Anyway, the real reward is a human Batraeux, and even better (and unexpected) was the safe Skyloft! I think that's a pretty awesome reward. No more annoying slimes, bats and crazy Remlits. It's good seeing town people out on the streets at night, and also Batreaux in the Bazaar all happy lol.

Honestly, people who said this game lacked in sidequests and minigames were just wrong... whether you liked them or not is different, but it definitely has them. It easily has the most in the series imo. Not including Majora's Mask however, as it's unfair to compare SS to a game where the main focus is very serious and structured sidequests haha.
There was a constant stream of NPC interaction and quests throughout the whole game, and there's probably around... 8 minigames? Give or take.

I'm 47 hours in now and about to take on the
Skyloft Trial
... whatever it is >_> I'll save that for tomorrow though.

seat

You do. Treasure and bugs carry over.

And that's it. I didn't realize this was the case when I beat the game this evening, as I was being very good about avoiding spoilers, and I'm severely disappointed by this decision by this game's designers. In no way does it warn you that you'll lose virtually all your progress if you select Hero Mode. This wouldn't be an issue if it just wrote a new file for you, but instead it overwrites your file and you lose everything except for your dumb bugs and more worthless treasure. Who cares? I was going to continue hunting for heart pieces and more worthwhile treasure after beating the game, but now I'm not able to thanks to the game unwittingly making me start over with virtually nothing. I didn't want to gather everything over again from scratch, but now I have no choice if I want to continue playing. I didn't want to be done with the game at this point, but I've been forced to thanks to the game itself.

zoukka

Yeah the
super wallet
was a lame prize for the best sidequest... come on. What use could I possibly have for it at this point of the game?!

And yes SS had ok amount of sidequests, but most of them were just stupid fetchquests. And by stupid I mean the ones with
random objects you needed to haul with the robot...
, talk about a chore of a task. No unique gameplay. No challenge whatsoever.

leroidys

Yeah the
super wallet
was a lame prize for the best sidequest... come on. What use could I possibly have for it at this point of the game?!

And yes SS had ok amount of sidequests, but most of them were just stupid fetchquests. And by stupid I mean the ones with
random objects you needed to haul with the robot...
, talk about a chore of a task. No unique gameplay. No challenge whatsoever.

Yeah, the sidequests generally sucked in this game. What happened to the trading sequence sidequest? That's been a hallmark of Zelda games for a long time.

Sagitario

Technically, TP got a small soundtrack CD with the master sword + hylian shield model combo. Also I think it came with some nintendo power issue or something.

iGbzmvXwUsUXs.png

Yes, it came with NP, but I believe the shield+sword combo was Target exclusive.
Also, it only contains like 6 songs :(

Anth0ny

Yeah the
super wallet

Seriously. Compare it to the payoff of sidequests in past games:

BiggoronSword.png

Fierce_Deity%27s_Mask.png

I should really stop comparing this game to OOT and MM. Making it look worse than it is. Too bad OOT and MM are just filled to the brim with awesome shit. The three 3D Zeldas since seem rushed in comparison.

Mistle

Seriously. Compare it to the payoff of sidequests in past games:

http://www.zeldawiki.org/images/d/d4/BiggoronSword.png[/I.MG]

[IMG]http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090513025630/zelda/images/0/0c/Fierce_Deity%27s_Mask.png[/I.MG]

I should really stop comparing this game to OOT and MM. Making it look worse than it is. Too bad OOT and MM are just filled to the brim with awesome shit. The three 3D Zeldas since seem rushed in comparison.[/QUOTE]SS and TP have heaps more stuff than OoT. Rushed is the last thing I'd call them, especially SS, which feels polished all the way through (apart from slack desicions such as notifications). TP suffers a bit from a messy development process but it still doesn't feel rushed. And the Biggoron Sword was a fetch quest through and through, if that's another thing you complain about.

I agree that the physical reward is lousy, as I have no need for it, but the change-of-events reward is good enough for me. But if your point is that the Biggoron Sword and Fierce Deity Mask are better rewards, then I agree :P

Top Bottom