• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

About to head into what I assume is the final dungeon. Finally that
bird statue with the red eye got an explanation! Cool that they foreshadowed it at the very start of the game.

Anyway, a few questions:

I'm considering getting all the pieces of hearts and remaining goddess cubes (already have all the gratitude crystals). Except I might skip the last few pieces of heart. I can't be bothered doing
bosh rush or silent realms
again, and I assume others come from minigames. I got the one from FunFun Island amazingly but I can't get higher than 43 with the bamboo... My highest is 31 :/ And I guess other minigames reward heart pieces for top scores.
Are there enough pieces of hearts to fill out the remainder of the hearts row (if so, wow ._.)? Or can that only be full if you use the life medallion things?

And with the goddess cube dowsing.. will that beep and show an arrow no matter where I am within the whole area, or do I have to be in the specific section with it? Hopefully the former, as I can then easily know when I've got them all.

Lastly, what's with those 2 rooms in Eldin that you can only access after the last time you return there? The ones with the Gossip Stones that call you a "know it all". Those rooms don't seem to serve any purpose, lol.

Regarding Heart Pieces and what gives you them and what doesn't... (maybe you could read to avoid headaches, but you might not want to be spoiled on where to get certain Heart Pieces, so read at your own discretion)
There are no Heart Pieces to get from the Bamboo Cutting minigame nor Lanayru's Silent Realms. You only need to beat four bosses in Boss Rush to get its Heart Piece. The only other minigames that give a Heart Piece are Fledge's archery minigame, the Rickety Rails minigame at the Shipyard, and Fun Fun Island. Also be aware that the two Life Medals count to the total Heart count. You need to be holding both of them for the heart count to be 20 (two full rows).

And dowsing for Goddess Cubes will stop beeping if you found them all in a specific area. So if you can't pick up anything anywhere in Faron (Faron Woods, Deep Woods, where ever), you can fly away to Eldin and Lanayru to start searching there.

EDIT:
Yes the Life Medals are the last 2 Heart Containers

and my highest Bamboo score is 34, and I got that with the original Goddess Sword, I matched it once with the last sword, I need to try harder :/

I think the last Heart Piece for me is at the Thrill Digger game but I'm not sure, does anyone know if it has a Heart Piece?
Thrill Digger does not have a Heart Piece.

EDIT: Also I should mention that the Heart Piece section of the 1 Button Menu will display a full heart if you have all of the Heart Pieces in the game.

Mistle

Regarding Heart Pieces and what gives you them and what doesn't... (maybe you could read to avoid headaches, but you might not want to be spoiled on where to get certain Heart Pieces, so read at your own discretion)
There are no Heart Pieces to get from the Bamboo Cutting minigame nor Lanayru's Silent Realms. You only need to beat four bosses in Boss Rush to get its Heart Piece. The only other minigames that give a Heart Piece are Fledge's archery minigame, the Rickety Rails minigame at the Shipyard, and Fun Fun Island. Also be aware that the two Life Medals count to the total Heart count. You need to be holding both of them for the heart count to be 20 (two full rows).

And dowsing for Goddess Cubes will stop beeping if you found them all in a specific area. So if you can't pick up anything anywhere in Faron (Faron Woods, Deep Woods, where ever), you can fly away to Eldin and Lanayru to start searching there.

EDIT:

Thrill Digger does not have a Heart Piece.
Thanks! That means I only have 2 peices left.
Rickety Coaster and Boss Rush.
Might as well do them. And wow at the Bamboo not giving a heart piece! D: I can't even get close to 43..

And getting the Goddess Cubes won't be a hassle if that's the case, so I'll do that also. I doubt there's many left anyway as I've been pretty thorough. I'm just missing the 5th bottle (somebody said there were 5, unless there isn't) and that leads me to believe I have more searching to do, lol. I can carry
rupees, so unless they chose a weird number to cap it at, I'm also thinking there might be a +100 extension somewhere.

Thanks! That means I only have 2 peices left.
Rickety Coaster and Boss Rush.
Might as well do them. And wow at the Bamboo not giving a heart piece! D: I can't even get close to 43..

And getting the Goddess Cubes won't be a hassle if that's the case, so I'll do that also. I doubt there's many left anyway as I've been pretty thorough. I'm just missing the 5th bottle (somebody said there were 5, unless there isn't) and that leads me to believe I have more searching to do, lol. I can carry
rupees, so unless they chose a weird number to cap it at, I'm also thinking there might be a +100 extension somewhere.

There are five bottles total, you heard correctly. And
is the max rupee limit.

Uchip

Banned
I guess the final dungeon is an acquired taste.
My cousin called me up saying it was the worst thing ever in a zelda game because slide puzzles are inherently bad and make the dungeon impossible to get through.
I thought it was an awesome dungeon.

I thought it was ingenious

MisterHero

Oh yeah. That guy. I think I have, I'll go talk to him again I guess. Maybe I need more of those fucking crystals, dowsing says otherwise though
well everyone except
Cawlin

it doesn't end well for Cawlin either way. Groose gets to be the hero of the game, Stritch and Fledge get their own mini-games, and Cawlin gets nothing :(

The lady in the school cafeteria wondered if there was anything they could do to cheer him up, but nothing happened. :(

Oh yeah. That guy. I think I have, I'll go talk to him again I guess. Maybe I need more of those fucking crystals, dowsing says otherwise though

Dowsing for Gratitude Crystals only points you to lone Crystals that are just scattered about, and you can only find those at night. I don't think dowsing for them leads to people who give them out for sidequests.

Dowsing for Gratitude Crystals only points you to lone Crystals that are just scattered about, and you can only find those at night. I don't think dowsing for them leads to people who give them out for sidequests.

Yeah, I was referring to the lone crystals at night. I'm on some odd number of crystals right now, so that's probably what I need to do.

Think I'm going to find a decent FAQ and 100% the game over the weekend, so I can move on to Hero Mode. Want to put this behind me now I've seen the ending, and get every last bit of goodness out of it asap. I've done 41 hours, I'm ready to move on, haha

Poyunch

Post-dungeon 5 spoilers:
The Eldin tear run was fine. I didn't have any problem with it at all. I actually had the most trouble with the first one. Faron Woods confuses the hell out of me.

Also I'm really disappointed with the dungeons so far. Everyone says it that it's supposed to get better by now but the dungeons still feel really simplistic. It really feels like the dungeons were designed by the portable team just by how non-layered they are. I guess I'm asking too much coming from Twilight Princess but I even felt OoT 3D's dungeons were more complex.

apana

I'm regretting my hero mode decision, don't know what I was thinking. I made an extra save at the point before I have to collect the different parts of
that hero's song from each region.
I completed the game without doing any major sidequests. Can I still do the major sidequests eventhough I wont
really be able to go below the clouds because I'll have to complete those annoying trials?
Can someone give me a list of the best sidequests I need to do or any games/challenges I need to play?

Kard8p3

Post-dungeon 5 spoilers:
The Eldin tear run was fine. I didn't have any problem with it at all. I actually had the most trouble with the first one. Faron Woods confuses the hell out of me.

Also I'm really disappointed with the dungeons so far. Everyone says it that it's supposed to get better by now but the dungeons still feel really simplistic. It really feels like the dungeons were designed by the portable team just by how non-layered they are. I guess I'm asking too much coming from Twilight Princess but I even felt OoT 3D's dungeons were more complex.

It's just a matter of opinion I guess. It has some of my favorite dungeons in the series.

jackdoe

Post-dungeon 5 spoilers:

I have to agree with what you said. I personally found no challenge at all in the dungeons themselves and I believe most of the challenge comes from combat. The main draw of the dungeons are their general aesthetic for the most part. Hell, now that I think about it, I can't really remember any memorable puzzles outside of the one from the first dungeon and the last dungeon!

Mistle

Holy shit at [post dungeon 7]
the statue falling down D:
I can just tell that this is going to be an awesome ending. Going to play it tomorrow though, can't wait.

I really enjoyed the last dungeon, cool concept. I think walking into the Hyrule Castle grounds in TP beats it though purely on being so big and grand :p The actual dungeon however is better in SS.

blamite

Fuck, fuch, fuckfuckfuckfuck.

So I was
going through boss rush for the final shield, and after finally getting thrugh the first 8 rounds, I could chose between either taking the shield, the prize I really wanted, or fighting the final Imprisoned form for the 2000 Rupees. Hacing come that far, i thought it would be stupid to not go all the way, and risked it. I came within half a heart of dying, but finally pulled it off, thrilled to be greeted by a pile of rupees, some treasure, and finally, my new shield. But no, I can't get all the prizes, I only get the money. My wallwt was almost full anyway. Is it really too much trouble to give me the shield after all ot that, or at least telling me I wouldn't get it if I want on? So now I guess I have to do this fucking boss rush again. Yaaaaaaaay.

RagnarokX

Fuck, fuch, fuckfuckfuckfuck.

So I was
going through boss rush for the final shield, and after finally getting thrugh the first 8 rounds, I could chose between either taking the shield, the prize I really wanted, or fighting the final Imprisoned form for the 2000 Rupees. Hacing come that far, i thought it would be stupid to not go all the way, and risked it. I came within half a heart of dying, but finally pulled it off, thrilled to be greeted by a pile of rupees, some treasure, and finally, my new shield. But no, I can't get all the prizes, I only get the money. My wallwt was almost full anyway. Is it really too much trouble to give me the shield after all ot that, or at least telling me I wouldn't get it if I want on? So now I guess I have to do this fucking boss rush again. Yaaaaaaaay.

I thought it was pretty obvious that
each prize replaces the last.

Mistle

Yeah, I was referring to the lone crystals at night. I'm on some odd number of crystals right now, so that's probably what I need to do.

Think I'm going to find a decent FAQ and 100% the game over the weekend, so I can move on to Hero Mode. Want to put this behind me now I've seen the ending, and get every last bit of goodness out of it asap. I've done 41 hours, I'm ready to move on, haha
No need for a guide. All lone crystals are at night and there are only 3 areas you can go at night, pretty simple stuff. There's 80 all up btw.

Goddess cubes are pieces of heart are pretty self explanatory also. I've got 50 hours so far... literally moments away from the final boss. Going to do that tomorrow, then go get my remaining 2 pieces of heart, and any goddess cubes I may have left over... then I'm done! D:
Well, I'll be done if I can somehow manage to get more than 43 on the bamboo... seems impossible lol.

I thought it was pretty obvious that
each prize replaces the last.
It was... but still dumb :/ The prizes should definitely have stacked up.

Playing Wind Waker now, I'm noticing just how many little additions to the core zelda mechanics were improved/added in Skyward Sword. At the same time it's a bittersweet feeling because I'm also seeing just how lacking the sky was in Skyward Sword. Would've been nice for it to be more like Wind Waker's ocean with different places to visit and things to find. Also, no transitions between sailing and the islands is great (although large gaps between everything masks it).

Mohonky

Anyone else having problems doing a vertical slash as opposed to diagonal? Maybe my wrist is just stuffed (hurts a lot atm) but I often try to do a vertical slice and just perform a diagonal instead. Kind of the same for horizontal but less of a problem, doing vertical almost always performs a diagonal slash.

Beats

So there's a text speed modifier code out apparently according to the list of codes I got with Dolphin. I don't know how to use it since you have to replace some values to change the text speed. Has anyone tried it yet?

Red

Anyone else having problems doing a vertical slash as opposed to diagonal? Maybe my wrist is just stuffed (hurts a lot atm) but I often try to do a vertical slice and just perform a diagonal instead. Kind of the same for horizontal but less of a problem, doing vertical almost always performs a diagonal slash.
Try holding the sword upright for 2 to 3 skyward strikes. That should fix it.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
So there's a text speed modifier code out apparently according to the list of codes I got with Dolphin. I don't know how to use it since you have to replace some values to change the text speed. Has anyone tried it yet?

I tried a couple of them out (instant, multiplier, and A button multiplier) and they all crashed the game for me... I tried doing x5, x10 but no dice.

Sagitario

Anyone used the "always fly at boost ring speed" cheat?

Mine stopped working (I think it stopped after your bird learns the Spiral Charge) :(

apana

Wow, just wow at the Karane sidequest. Nintendo needs to put more stuff like this in their games. I was dying at the end, oh my god.

dreamfall

I'm wondering if it's worth picking up a Wii for this game. I've held out forever , and the last Zelda I played was Twilight Princess on the GameCube. Are the motion controls pretty intuitive for new players? Is it worth it?

MisterHero

I'm wondering if it's worth picking up a Wii for this game. I've held out forever , and the last Zelda I played was Twilight Princess on the GameCube. Are the motion controls pretty intuitive for new players? Is it worth it?
The Wii has lots of great games, no need to hold out. :p

The controls are awesome but you have to get used to them first.

Going between traditional controls like running, rolling, and motion controls like using the Bow, and the new inventory brings a brand new system of hand coordination.

Sinthetic

Do it! Plus a dozen other quality Wii games while you're at it. The controls take some time to master, but they are very interesting.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

The controls are intuitive, but there are a few things you should know before going into it or else you might become frustrated at the game being "inaccurate" when in reality you're doing it wrong.

The biggest primary one is: swordplay is a lot slower then you probably think it is. My biggest problem getting used to the controls was fighting my reflex to slash the instant I saw an opportunity even if I hadn't accurately gauged or set up the slash in the right direction. When I started taking a half second to judge my motions it became as smooth as butter.

dreamfall

The Wii has lots of great games, no need to hold out. :p

The controls are awesome but you have to get used to them first.

Going between traditional controls like running, rolling, and motion controls like using the Bow, and the new inventory brings a brand new system of hand coordination.

Thanks for the reply! I'm excited but it's also kind of terrifying picking up a new console... Getting used to motion anything has been a strange experience! But I loved Twilight Princess, and at some point, I began buying Wii titles in full anticipation of getting the system.

But it never happened . So Madworld, Lost in Shadow and No More Heroes 2 have been collecting dust. But Zelda games seem so important to any gamer's identity, and replaying OoT has got me really nostalgic for the Nintendo consoles.

So this may indeed be the encouragement needed! So thanks!

Celine

Yes. Still playing but game is worth.

Just don't buy a system only for a game.
There are a good selection of great games for Wii ( there should be a thread on these boards ).

dreamfall

The controls are intuitive, but there are a few things you should know before going into it or else you might become frustrated at the game being "inaccurate" when in reality you're doing it wrong.

The biggest primary one is: swordplay is a lot slower then you probably think it is. My biggest problem getting used to the controls was fighting my reflex to slash the instant I saw an opportunity even if I hadn't accurately gauged or set up the slash in the right direction. When I started taking a half second to judge my motions it became as smooth as butter.

Absolutely noted! Getting used to that slower adjustment will definitely be a struggle but the forewarning is much appreciated. This is going to be craziness!

motion controls are good, but why didn't you have Wii already? I don't mean it in a "what's wrong with you"/insulting Reggie/Nintendo marketing way. Cost or something else? because at this point you could always wait a bit and just get the Wii U and then catch up on Wii games. Although that'd be more expensive and you can get a Wii for like $100 now or something.

and controls are great for the most part. when they're not, it doesn't matter if you're new or an expert.

dreamfall

motion controls are good, but why didn't you have Wii already? I don't mean it in a "what's wrong with you"/insulting Reggie/Nintendo marketing way. Cost or something else? because at this point you could always wait a bit and just get the Wii U and then catch up on Wii games. Although that'd be more expensive and you can get a Wii for like $100 now or something.

and controls are great for the most part. when they're not, it doesn't matter if you're new or an expert.

It's definitely a fair question, I think I just got caught up with other consoles. Motion gaming seems like a great idea, but it kind of scares me. I've been playing with traditional controller setups for so long, I didn't feel ready to try anything else.

I had been buying Wii titles over the years with the full intention of picking it up, but I continually got side tracked with school and other games. Skyward Sword definitely looks like a game I would play and love, so it's finally time to get one...

Nicktendo86

Well 34 hours in and just about finished. Final result from me would be 9/10, love the control, art style and dungeons but I really feel suffered with pacing and an annoying companion in Fi.

What I don't understand is why have the slow introduction? I understand the importance of introducing the player to the controls and such but why drag it out? Why not take the opposite approach and throw the player in the deep end? Have the game start with Link having a dream fighting a massive boss, could also have damage off so new players can have all the time to work out the basics for themselves on how to tackle enemies, move the camera etc. This way we would get the game off with a bang rather than an hour of tedium.

Tadale

Skyward strike, slash slash slash, repeat. Repel attacks with shield bash

It seems that you have to wait until your sword gets struck by lightening. Sometimes it happens right away, sometimes not. I don't know if it's luck, or I need to do something to make lightening strike. I'll get hit three times before a lightening strike sometimes. I've probably done this fight 10 times now.

Hiltz

Progress report:

- 38 hours

- Finished the 5th dungeon.

The puzzle-solving and level design made it feel like one of the easier dungeons.

- The boss was easy and really does look like it
came from a Pixar movie. The mini boss was a bit more fun even though he too, was easy.

- The more I use the
clawshot and bow & arrow
weapons, the more I wish they used the IR pointer.

- Fi continues to treat the player like a dumbass.

- Why did Nintendo have to use waggle to get out of the grasp of an enemy ? I hate it in games like MadWorld and I hate it in Skyward Sword too.

Top Bottom