• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Siaynoqq

Just hit the Mining Facility and I can't believe how good this game is. I know I'm still early... but if it keeps getting better like it has been since it started, this might turn out to be my favorite zelda. That boss fight at the Earth Temple... so good.

The addition of dashing/stamina and general use of more platforming elements really goes a long way.

Also, this might be the only game where I actually really enjoy the motion controls.

St0ne

So i'm in the
desert Silent Realm, and I am so close to putting this shit down, breaking the disc and never buy a Zelda game again

whoever designed it deserves to be shot.

hiro4

So i'm in the
desert Silent Realm, and I am so close to putting this shit down, breaking the disc and never buy a Zelda game again

really?!
that one was easy. I suggest you stop here, before you hit the third one in Eldin Volcano.
That one was annoying. Still I liked the challenge.

So i'm in the

get the far out of reach ones first and leave the closer ones to you for the end. desert realm isnt that tough, just intimidating cause of how large the area is.

Just hit the Mining Facility and I can't believe how good this game is. I know I'm still early... but if it keeps getting better like it has been since it started, this might turn out to be my favorite zelda. That boss fight at the Earth Temple... so good.

The addition of dashing/stamina and general use of more platforming elements really goes a long way.

Also, this might be the only game where I actually really enjoy the motion controls.

i would say you are just about to go headfirst into awesome :)

St0ne

really?!
that one was easy. I suggest you stop here, before you hit the third one in Eldin Volcano.
That one was annoying. Still I liked the challenge.

I spent 2 hours doing the first one.

yeah, I don't think I have the patience to do this.

Red

How can any of those sections possibly take 2 hours.

What are you having trouble with?

2 hours? You spent 2 hours doing the Faron Woods Silent Realm? I don't understand how anyone who has played a videogame in the last 20 years could take more than 10 minutes to complete it. I just don't get how you could spend that long on it.
Yeah, I am inclined to think he is vastly exaggerating.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

2 hours? You spent 2 hours doing the Faron Woods Silent Realm? I don't understand how anyone who has played a videogame in the last 20 years could take more than 10 minutes to complete it. I just don't get how you could spend that long on it, it's such basic gameplay. Light up the tears, collect them, rush back to the start.

St0ne

2 hours? You spent 2 hours doing the Faron Woods Silent Realm? I don't understand how anyone who has played a videogame in the last 20 years could take more than 10 minutes to complete it. I just don't get how you could spend that long on it, it's such basic gameplay. Light up the tears, collect them, rush back to the start.

Yes, 2 hours, or 120 minutes.

Ninja Gaiden on hard mode was easier than this.

Spoo

The trick to those sections is realizing that the guardians aren't much of a threat. It's actually harder to figure out where you're supposed to go than it is to avoid them. Just be careful in monitoring your stamina, nab the first spirit thing, then actively look around for gems that are in difficult to reach spots and go for those first. If you get them out of the way, you have PLENTY of gems to fall back on if things go haywire, but also, running is pretty effective. You can pretty much run in circles and as long as you're careful the guardians can't really touch you :\

St0ne

Pure BS. There's no way you can lose a trial more than 3 times. Really.

You can, I promise. Really.

EDIT: That youtube guide was great. THANK YOU

EDIT 2:

I don't know what to say. You must be really bad at games. You set off the beacons that show you where the tears are. You pick them all up. You run back to the start point. It's child's play, it really is. Later trials require a modicum of strategy in planning your movements but that first one is not even close to being a challenge.

I think it was hard as fuck :(

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yes, 2 hours, or 120 minutes.

Ninja Gaiden on hard mode was easier than this.

I don't know what to say. You must be really bad at games. You set off the beacons that show you where the tears are. You pick them all up. You run back to the start point. It's child's play, it really is. Later trials require a modicum of strategy in planning your movements but that first one is not even close to being a challenge.

Dr.Hadji

I love how you and the moblins play off of each other in this game. It starts out as sort of the action/reaction, pause and second guessing you experience when playing against another person. But then, AI routines and practice gives ways to tactics that allows you to be the mow down anything in your path, or more importantly, allows you to have fun with every encounter. Its crazy, a dukubaba casued my heart to beat fast.

You can, I promise. Really.

EDIT: That youtube guide was great. THANK YOU
(

good to hear. make sure you definitely consult youtube on the next one as by far its the most difficult silent realm.

I love how you and the moblins play off of each other in this game. It starts out as sort of the action/reaction, pause and second guessing you experience when playing against another person. But then, AI routines and practice gives ways to tactics that allows you to be the mow down anything in your path, or more importantly, allows you to have fun with every encounter. Its crazy, a dukubaba casued my heart to beat fast.

the first 2 deku babas nearly killed me as soon as you first reach the surface. im ashamed to admit this lol

SpokkX

Just playes the intro..

Omg that was BORING, up there with TP intro :(

Hope it picks up but all that dialogue, what the hell nintendo

Somnid

I just finished. Wow, what a great game. It's really refreshing especially in the overall climate of games these days but also as a Zelda title. Aunoma should recenter his attention here instead of drifting off towards Ocarina of Time for new iterations. I'd love to see future Zeldas stem from this model.

Also had the best batch of characters since Majora's Mask.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just playes the intro..

Omg that was BORING, up there with TP intro :(

Hope it picks up but all that dialogue, what the hell nintendo

Still the major reason my copy has been in shrinkwrap for a month now. Just can't build up enough motivation to deal with that garbage for the first few hours. I want to play a Zelda game, not watch a poorly paced and frustratingly patronizing Wii rendition of a Miyazaki tale.

AiTM

Banned
Im starting this game today, but I hear of a nasty bug. Anything I should know ahead of time? I dont care if I get spoiled a little, just dont want to fuck up my game after hours of play.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Im starting this game today, but I hear of a nasty bug. Anything I should know ahead of time? I dont care if I get spoiled a little, just dont want to fuck up my game after hours of play.

After dungeon number
you will have the option of going to three areas in any order you like. Go to the desert last.

I'm glad I popped into this thread or else I'd have missed this.

Still the major reason my copy has been in shrinkwrap for a month now. Just can't build up enough motivation to deal with that garbage for the first few hours. I want to play a Zelda game, not watch a poorly paced and frustratingly patronizing Wii rendition of a Miyazaki tale.

It literally takes 40 minutes, suck it up and play the damn game.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I got that to trigger too!
It makes me feel sorry for Pipit though, since he seems to want to be responsible and step up as man of the house etc. but his mum keeps pissing their money (and his knight academy tuition) away because she's too lazy to clean.

He's getting mad over 20 rupees. Makes me wish I could donate some rupees to him or something.

Yeah I kept going back hoping to find some additional sidequest. Felt bad.

boiled goose

good with gravy
All silent realms were a piece of cake to me.
first or second try. all in less than 5 minutes or so. you can run away from the guards for quite a while even if you awaken them...

Almost finished with the game.

Will post extended final impressions soon. :)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Man, that tabpole quest is one of the worst thing to ever exist in a Zelda game. Not only is swimming not simple in this game, but you have to grab tiny tabpoles in a big zone AND you have a limited time to pick a whole group? Fuck that.

Now im only missing a few ones, but that yellow one hiding below a spiky plant is getting on my nerves, how do you turn these plants around again? I tried stepping on it, using my whip, nothing works.

Poyunch

Man, that tabpole quest is one of the worst thing to ever exist in a Zelda game. Not only is swimming not simple in this game, but you have to grab tiny tabpoles in a big zone AND you have a limited time to pick a whole group? Fuck that.

Now im only missing a few ones, but that yellow one hiding below a spiky plant is getting on my nerves, how do you turn these plants around again? I tried stepping on it, using my whip, nothing works.

There should be some hookshot targets close by atop the tree. Get on the lily pad close by hookshot and get on top of the tree. Then jump down on top of the plant, causing the plant to flip.

RagnarokX

Swimming is simple.
Spinning near tadnotes sucks them into you. You have to jump onto that lily pad from up high. Use the peahats to get back to the top of the great tree.

So Hero mode you lose a quarter of your air circle underwater.

I suppose that's to convince you to spend money on Air Potions?

Why can't you just bottle up air and then suck it in to refill?

I never bought an Air Potion in the previous playthrough but I guess I will for the shittiest section of the game.

Poyunch

Swimming is simple.
Spinning near tadnotes sucks them into you. You have to jump onto that lily pad from up high. Use the peahats to get back to the top of the great tree.
Yeah for those long tadtone sequences I just spammed the spin move since consecutive tadtones restore oxygen.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So, after putting down Skyward Sword twice after being too frustrated with the controls and the early gameplay (way back when the game first came out), I decided to pick it up one more time and give it a try...this time switching off with my roommate.

I have to say, I've strangely fallen in love with the game. I'm only in the third dungeon, and the game has captured me. I still find the motion combat controls to be a little unwieldy, but I'm enjoying the game LOADS more than I did when I first attempted to play it.

I always wanted to love the game, but it really took a lot of time before I got into it. I still feel like I'm fighting with the controls a little, but I strangely found last night that I actually have more precise slashes when I've been drinking heavily (started playing after returning from a Xmas party at my dad's place).

All in all, I'm back on board. And the GBA Ambassador games can be thanked for that. Playing a bit of Minish Cap made me want to give Skyward Sword another chance, and it paid off. Also, I'm enjoying playing the game together with my roommate, rather than alone. We switch off once in a while, but it's nice to have someone there that's seeing things that I'm not, and vice versa.

Anth0ny

So there's going to be a Zelda community thread and a Skyward Sword community thread? okay...

This thread isn't even that active... compare to Dark Souls with 4 fucking OTs :lol

spekkeh

Banned
Just finished the Earth Temple. Dunno, I hope the game gets better. I want to like it, but after a great start (yeah I said that), I'm just going through the same motions as always. Even with the short dungeons it still feels like the game is simply stalling my progression, because I've already done dungeons like these to death. I'm only interested in the story, but so far that has been 'thank you but the princess is in another castle' mainly, which doesn't help shake the feeling that I'm just being strung along.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just finished the Earth Temple. Dunno, I hope the game gets better. I want to like it, but after a great start (yeah I said that), I'm just going through the same motions as always. Even with the short dungeons it still feels like the game is simply stalling my progression, because I've already done dungeons like these to death. I'm only interested in the story, but so far that has been 'thank you but the princess is in another castle' mainly, which doesn't help shake the feeling that I'm just being strung along.

I think you're going to like Dungeon 3

ASIS

Trust me on this, the game will shift, and it will continue to shift until you read "the end" at your title screen.

Keep playing and your opinion about the game will change, for better or worse? I have no clue. But it will change.

I'm still struggling with the combat mechanics, I think.
The controls work fine, but it's frustrating that the enemies auto block so much. Half the time, I end up flailing and find that be more effective... which makes me think I'm doing something wrong. I hope I'm doing some wrong.
Is there like a strategy I should be aware of? Like if they block high, should I strike left? Thrust? Or is the auto blocking supposed to be fun, but I just don't get it?
As is, I've still not felt like I'm having any actual sword fights yet. Otherwise the game is great. I just get flustered by the combat mechanics.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm still struggling with the combat mechanics, I think.
The controls work fine, but it's frustrating that the enemies auto block so much. Half the time, I end up flailing and find that be more effective... which makes me think I'm doing something wrong. I hope I'm doing some wrong.
Is there like a strategy I should be aware of? Like if they block high, should I strike left? Thrust? Or is the auto blocking supposed to be fun, but I just don't get it?
As is, I've still not felt like I'm having any actual sword fights yet. Otherwise the game is great. I just get flustered by the combat mechanics.

For bobokins I just did stuff like left, right, up, down until they stopped blocking. Or you can just not target them and they pretty much always won't block at all.

Top Bottom