• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

jarosh

oh wow... did you guys know that you can play the musical instrument (not sure if the name would be a spoiler) along with ANY of the background music in the game? it changes its key accordingly. it's really quite beautiful.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
jarosh said:
oh wow... did you guys know that you can play the musical instrument (not sure if the name would be a spoiler) along with ANY of the background music in the game? it changes its key accordingly. it's really quite beautiful.

Yeah it was in one of the Iwata Asks.

AdamBot said:
Why would they deface that gorgeous Wiimote with a gross translucent condom? Take that thing off!
Is there anyone who still uses those? It's so much more comfortable to hold the OG controller, naked as a jaybird.

ASIS

jarosh said:
You can also walk while playing, it's awesome! :D

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
RE: Padding
those fetch quests or whatever
: does it come across as an attempt to hide missing material or is it just filler for the sake of filler?

Reposting this question again.

SYNTAX182

jarosh said:

Whaaat! That's awesome!

Xdrive05

If you preordered with Amazon in the US, any chance of getting the game the day of? Being a Friday release and all I'm worried it will miss the weekend...

Hiltz

jarosh said:

I think GameTrailer's video review shows a brief scene where Link is randomly strumming the instrument in Skyloft.

Cygnus X-1

I'm going to post my spoiler-free impressions here, because the other review thread is a big mess. Feel free to ask any questions as I proceed in the adventure!

i) Gameplay with the sword is amazing and it's the highlight of the game. What I'm really happy with is that I can swing the sword even diagonally, which was impossible before. Swinging lot of times in succession doesn't affect anything. A rotating attack is now incredibly simple to perform and the blow is also much more easier to use. The final blow is also easy and it is impossible to mismatch a final blow with a rotating attack.
Only point to pay attention: since now Link is wielding a true sword, if one wants to make an horizontal or a vertical attack, it is of course much better to put first the sword to the extreme left of right, or up and down, respectively. It requires a fraction of second and as beginning to the action can be not so intuitive (though it's more realistic), but once the first attack given, the following are much easier and faster. An action can keep going for lot of time without any efforts.

ii) Regarding the stamina bar, people who were complaining about it: why do you use it so much? If you don't press the A button to run, Link is exactly as fast as the maximum possible in Twilight Princess. The run button is clearly available mostly to carry out special actions, likt to jump on high places. Run that fast all around the place simply is not necessary and kills the exploration. So, in my experience now, Stamina is not an issue.

More to come.

AdamBot

IceDoesntHelp said:
Wow...WOW. Thanks Gamestop. I have to wait 'till 12pm on Sunday to get my copy. ;_;

Hoping for a midnight release?

I preordered mine at GameStop just to be safe, I haven't preordered or purchased anything there in years but it's at least a local place that will have a copy with my name on it at least by Sunday.

I'm trying to find a place locally that'll have it available at midnight.

AdamBot said:
Hoping for a midnight release?

I preordered mine at GameStop just to be safe, I haven't preordered or purchased anything there in years but it's at least a local place that will have a copy with my name on it at least by Sunday.

I'm trying to find a place locally that'll have it available at midnight.
Well I was earlier this week, wasn't bothered when they said they won't, but come on. For a big release Gamestop won't open at least an hour or two earlier? Nintendo stop releasing your games on Sundays.

Hiltz

I plan on getting the game Monday morning either at GameStop or Target. I've been saving a $50 gift card to the mall for over a year now just for Skyward Sword.

AdamBot

IceDoesntHelp said:
Well I was earlier this week, wasn't bothered when they said they won't, but come on. For a big release Gamestop won't open at least an hour or two earlier? Nintendo stop releasing your games on Sundays.

My local GS said they weren't doing a midnight because it'd be a Saturday night... Which is bull. I was the manager of that store when the Wii / Twilight Princess released and we were there on a SATURDAY until 2:30am Sunday morning. Saturday is the perfect night for a midnight release.

I seem to remember most of their big titles used to have Monday street dates.

crustikid

I just called my Gamestop where I reserved the game, and they are doing a midnight release. The UWS store on 84th/Amsterdam and the Union Square store are the only two stores in the city doing it. They're calling everyone with pre-orders at the store to forward the message onward.

Just got a new monitor, and now I want an awesome Skyward Sword wallpaper.

Anyone got some nice wallpapers for the game?

(my resolution is 1280x1024 btw)

RPGCrazied

I'm using this wallpaper. Its nice.

Desktop.jpg

jarosh said:
skyward sword bosses >>>>>>>>>>>>>> twilight princess bosses
That's really nice to hear (and hear it being echoed a lot in this thread).
And it's not like the bosses of TP were bad or anything, Stalfos Lord was fucking awesome, so were the Morpheel and Dragon bosses. Some of the most epic moments in the game.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I don't get why Gamestop isn't doing a midnight launch for this.

I mean, c'mon. IT'S ZELDA! It's not like it's because it's a Wii game, Brawl had a midnight launch.

crustikid

BY2K said:
I don't get why Gamestop isn't doing a midnight launch for this.

I mean, c'mon. IT'S ZELDA! It's not like it's because it's a Wii game, Brawl had a midnight launch.

Certain ones are. See my post above.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Well, maybe not in Quebec, then. My Gamestop hasn't called yet. (Though I think they do only 24 to 48 hours before the release.)

Do shops do midnight launch depending on how many preorders they have, or is just loosly based on what are high profile games? We never have midnight launches for games save Wow stuff here in Denmark.

So...my Sam's Club just had this out

No "Do not sell" sticker on it

I didn't buy it because I'm getting the gold remote bundle from Amazon, but it was sitting there. You might want to call before you rush out to check, though.

AdamBot

TheCongressman1 said:
What's the chance of getting the game at Walmart saturday night at midnight?

That was my thinking. I'm gonna check around Saturday night.

I'd love to walk into GameStop the next day and say "Hi I'm here to cancel my preorder because I've been playing the game all night and oh btw you suck."

jarosh

Exterminieren said:
If Skyward Sword has any boss as awesome as the City in the Sky boss, then it has my heart.
you kidding? ss definitely has more unique boss fights than that. and they're usually a lot longer and harder as well.

kiryogi

Banned
Haha im awesome. My influence still reigns from years @ GS. I was able to convince my GS to do a midnight. Apparently some stores are approved to do it, it's just an hours crunch.

TheCongressman1 said:
What's the chance of getting the game at Walmart saturday night at midnight?
I'd say your chances are pretty good. I still remember going to my local Walmart the night Galaxy 2 came out and picking it up as the clock struck 12.

AdamBot

kiryogi said:
Haha im awesome. My influence still reigns from years @ GS. I was able to convince my GS to do a midnight. Apparently some stores are approved to do it, it's just an hours crunch.

I remember many an afternoon shaving hours down here and there to get enough coverage for a midnight. They were absolute nazis when it came to payroll. I was so happy the day I quit that job.

Top Bottom