• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

jarosh said:
you kidding? ss definitely has more unique boss fights than that. and they're usually a lot longer and harder as well.

Argorok is awesome looking and the atmosphere of that fight is amazing, but the challenge and strategy to defeat him is nothing special. The best battle in Twilight Princess was the final showdown with its four phases that incorporated various mechanics you've mastered over the course of the entire game. I agree that Skyward Sword has better boss battles than Twilight Princess.

kiryogi

Banned
AdamBot said:
I remember many an afternoon shaving hours down here and there to get enough coverage for a midnight. They were absolute nazis when it came to payroll. I was so happy the day I quit that job.

To correct, I should say former GS. I still shop there as my ideal location, but yes I've long quit and very happy with that decision. But I still get perks and bonuses with my influence and contacts.

ASIS

jarosh said:
you kidding? ss definitely has more unique boss fights than that. and they're usually a lot longer and harder as well.
Hell even the
boss from the earth temple
was epic. I LOVE TP's bosses (except the one from
temple of time
). But they were so easy you could literally stand for 10 seconds doing nothing and barely lose a quarter of a heart. This time around there's a sense of urgency. So far I can honestly say everything about this game is better than TP. Hell almost everything about this game is better than 99% than any other game so far.

I realize this is hype just talking, so take this with a grain of salt right now.

AdamBot

kiryogi said:
To correct, I should say former GS. I still shop there as my ideal location, but yes I've long quit and very happy with that decision. But I still get perks and bonuses with my influence and contacts.

I knew exactly what you meant. I still use "my" in reference to my former store as well. The perks are the only things I miss about the job. You can bet if I was still there we'd be having a midnight even if it meant I worked all day Monday and Tuesday by myself to make up for the payroll.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
RE: Padding
those fetch quests or whatever
: does it come across as an attempt to hide missing material or is it just filler for the sake of filler?

Reposting this question again.

ASIS

Regulus Tera said:
RE: Padding
those fetch quests or whatever
: does it come across as an attempt to hide missing material or is it just filler for the sake of filler?

Reposting this question again.
So far, i've only encountered one (read, just one) where I'd call it artifical padding, and it lasted a whopping 15 minutes max (if not less).

Everything else, so far, is new content. The land is the same, what you do with it, however is different.

Zomba13

My copy with wiimote should arrive tomorrow :D

Can't waaaaaait.

Reeeeally enjoyed what I played of the E3 demo (minus the bird part but I'm positive I was doing something wrong).

This game is fucking massive. But just a warning not to judge it by its first few hours, which are kind of painfully slow, and which honestly I did not enjoy much. But it gets better and better as you go along.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It definitely gets better and better, maybe it's because I just did the desert section but it seems the game keeps evolving along with your skills. The nasty plants seem to have added moves to their attacks. The sword mechanics feel so good :) Hope ennemies will keep being more challenging like that.

I must keep an extreme open mind to understand that some people can't recognize a masterpiece when they see it.
There are things to criticize, such as a slow speed of text display or unskipable Fai interventions, but these are little annoyances.
Zelda Skyward Sword offers moments of perfection - and I'm only in the 3rd dungeon!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG A friend got the game early here in PR (Kmart/Walmart/some bigstore employee) and he invited me over to play. OMG OMG OMG. XD!

ksamedi

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
This game is fucking massive. But just a warning not to judge it by its first few hours, which are kind of painfully slow, and which honestly I did not enjoy much. But it gets better and better as you go along.

Why can't it be, Link, here's your sword. Go save the world, like in the old days? I hate long intro's.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Relix said:
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG A friend got the game early here in PR (Kmart/Walmart/some bigstore employee) and he invited me over to play. OMG OMG OMG. XD!

Relix
he's Virgin Tight™
(Today, 06:18 PM)

I smell a trap...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Odd that HMV still haven't shipped mine. Guess they're relying on first class posts when they ship it tomorrow... I hope.

Pappasman

I just got my copy. This is the first time Amazon has ever sent me anything early. Do other people who ordered through amazon have it yet?

Aeonin

Paradoxal_Utopia said:

So true. Based on the first hour, it was so boring and filled with so many overly-Japanese cheesy scenes, I was ready to dismiss it. But once you're let lose out onto the world, it just felt so damn good!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Welp, I'm back home and done with work for the week! I'm a bit jealous of people snagging copies early but I'm also thankful that I actually have time to play some more of Skyrim and Super Mario Land 3D. Because when I get this game it's all Zelda all week long (besides stupid work on Monday and Tuesday...ugh)!

K1LLER7

Pappasman said:
I just got my copy. This is the first time Amazon has ever sent me anything early. Do other people who ordered through amazon have it yet?
still not been dispatched :( hopefully it gets dispatched by tommorow/later.

Red

RPGCrazied said:
I'm using this wallpaper. Its nice.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/RPGCrazied/Desktop.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Mine:

[url=http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=desktop5wun4.jpg][img]http://www.abload.de/img/desktop5wun4.jpg[/url]

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That is insanely beautiful... but you can barely see Zelda in it! My wallpapers requires at least 50% Zelda

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Absolutely beautiful. Makes my heart melt...

wrowa

First impressions time? First impressions time.

I honestly don't know how long I've been playing so far, but I've just entered the first area beyond the clouds, so I'm strictly talking about the beginning of the game here.

And what a wondeful beginning it is! It's exactly what I hoped for, maybe even more. Just like Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword takes its time during the "prologue". Who wants to jump into the action staight from minute one, might very well end up disliking it. However, who on the other hand wants to be slowly introduced into a new, charming world is going to be satisfied completely.

Comparing it to Twilight Princess's opening scene -- which I also really liked -- wouldn't be fair, though. That's because for one Skyloft is a much a better designed and more interesting place than the starting village of Twilight Princess. It's not only nice to look at, but also fun to run through and exploring. It's obvious that Nintendo's designer spent much time designing the village, and it shows.

But what really puts it above Twilight Princess, is the story. While Twilight Princess presented some strange characters, most people hardly cared for, Skyward Sword actually shows you a sympathic bunch of characters right from the beginning. Especially Zelda, obviously, is really charming and funny (in a way that seems appropriate fo the series). I don't think there ever was another Zelda game with as much cutscenes during the first hours of the game, but I think it's doing the game good in this case. They are well directed, they are charming, and a pleasure to look at -- it's hard not to be immersed into the game's world after a few minutes.

Are there tutorials that explain you rather obvious things? Oh, yes, there are. But they don't take much time, honestly. I heard someone saying that SS has two hours of tutorials and that is plain wrong. It has two hours of world building, and that is simply awesome -- for everyone who is not only searching for exploring and dungeon solving in a Zelda game, but also for a feeling for the characters of the world, having the impression that one is actually part of the game.

Zekes!

I got a chance to play the demo at an EBGames in the mall today. I played it like 4 times, and each time I had a huge, stupid smile on my face. So hyped for Sunday!

Red

I ordered from Gamestop. I haven't bought anything from them in four years. How long does it usually take for them to ship? I paid for the $10 priority shipping.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Aeonin said:
So true. Based on the first hour, it was so boring and filled with so many overly-Japanese cheesy scenes, I was ready to dismiss it. But once you're let lose out onto the world, it just felt so damn good!

I think this perception more comes because this is the first game where Zelda has really has a personality beyond the stoic princess. Even in Wind Waker, once she became Zelda the character's personality vanished.

Red

DrForester said:
I think this perception more comes because this is the first game where Zelda has really has a personality beyond the stoic princess. Even in Wind Waker, once she became Zelda the character's personality vanished.
Until Spirit Tracks, where she became awesome again.

Shame about the game though.

DrForester said:
Her personality didn't vanish, you just didn't talk to her again until the final boss. During that final fight she certainly had her personality.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
EmCeeGramr said:
Her personality didn't vanish, you just didn't talk to her again until the final boss. During that final fight she certainly had her personality.

I don't know. I just couldn't see Tetra just hiding Tetra would have gone to blow stuff up with her Pirate ship.

Top Bottom