• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

RPGCrazied

All this negative talk about Fi is depressing. I'm not expecting her to be another Midna, but she isn't involved in the story at all? A simple yes or no will do. The beeping noise won't bother me, cause thats always been in Zelda games, when you're at low health.

shahkur

The game bundle came through the post today. Still in the beginning, where I have to
go to the waterfall to save the loftbird.
The game is giving me Windwaker vibes so far. Is there a way to control the camera, other than repositioning?

ryan-ts

Anth0ny said:
2D Zeldas don't have the problem.
Okay.

My reasons for not being a big fan of Wind Waker differ from my reasons for not being a big fan of Majora's Mask (I'm not a big fan of OoT or TP, also for different reasons). The issues that every 3D Zelda shares have never really been a huge bother for me.

Red

Dr.Hadji said:
I loved it. Best part of the game next to the intro and the final battle. It was basically open world Zelda if you wanted to play it that way.
You almost made me choke on my lunch

First time I've ever seen someone say this

Synless

AkimbO_Arcana said:
Sorry, there are 8 tracks:

1. Track 1 - 8'08''
2. Kakariko Village - Twilight Princess Theme - 2'50"
3. The Wind Waker Symphony Movement - 10'31"
4. Gerudo Valley - 3'36"
5. Great Fairy's Fountain Theme - 3'03"
6. Twilight Princess Symphonic Movement - 10'31''
7. The Legend of Zelda Main Theme Medley - 4'28''
8. Ballad of the Goddes from Skyward Sword - 2'02''

Edit: "Track 1" is kind of an intro...
Oh, cool thanks!

don't you just mash b instead of a to speed up the text (whichever it was in the past games) or press 2 or whatever it was in Twilight Princess

oatmeal said:
That's true in most cases.

But a lot of the complaints were voicing are the same ones we've been voicing for years. They give us the option to remove the HUD, why not give us an option to speed up dialogue boxes or turn off hints?

It's not a game-changing thing, it's just another option for the user. The game is built towards a new Zelda player, and for those of us who have been with the series for so long, it's really frustrating.
The silly thing is the game has a hint menu. Why not just teach newbies to refer to it if they need help?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I have a feeling some people will be disappointed when Wii U Zelda (probably) goes back to a traditional control scheme. So the question is:

How many people?

I say a fair over/under for that is 40%.

Will it be over or under?

My prediction:
over

Skiesofwonder said:
I have a feeling some people will be disappointed when Wii U Zelda (probably) goes back to a traditional control scheme. The question is; How many people?

and I predict a surprising over.
I'll be happy.
The sword controls mostly work, but I don't prefer them.

Regulus Tera said:
We count the DS Zeldas as 3D even if they play pretty much the same as the 2D games, right?
I think we count it as a weird mutant 2.5D like SM3DL. Also no one wants 3d or 2d Zelda to be associated with PH and ST.

Dascu

Skiesofwonder said:
I have a feeling some people will be disappointed when Wii U Zelda (probably) goes back to a traditional control scheme. The question is; How many people?

and I predict a surprising over.
I'm hoping they don't bother with any special control-schemes and that they spend all of their time, 100% focused on reworking the game's structure. Skyward Sword seems like a step in the right direction, though apparently not as far as some had hoped, plus still with a bunch of old franchise flaws.

AdamBot

Does Skyward Sword still employ that odd animation freeze whenever your sword makes contact with an enemy like in Twilight Princess? (I think the same effect was used in Wind Waker but to a lesser extent.) Always felt awkward to me.

oatmeal

Banned
AdamBot said:
Does Skyward Sword still employ that odd animation freeze whenever your sword makes contact with an enemy like in Twilight Princess? (I think the same effect was used in Wind Waker but too a lesser extent.) Always felt awkward to me.

Not that i've noticed.

But what I have noticed is that janky animation when playing the harp, and when the cutscene after you play the harp.

It's really jarring.

giggas

Snytbaggen said:
Sweet, my copy is shipped

Where did you order from?

Mine is coming from Amazon... I suspect I won't have it until Monday. The wait will be grueling. Anyone else order from Amazon?

Truth101 said:
Every game can.
For that reason is good practice to extend criticism to the game in hopes it gets improved instead of repeating the same mistakes over and over.

What doesn't help shit is bathing the game in a sea of 10/10 when there are apparent issues.

Red

AdamBot said:
Does Skyward Sword still employ that odd animation freeze whenever your sword makes contact with an enemy like in Twilight Princess? (I think the same effect was used in Wind Waker but to a lesser extent.) Always felt awkward to me.
This is really severe in WW, and I hate it, but I've never noticed it in TP (Wii).

Anth0ny

Dascu said:
I'm hoping they don't bother with any special control-schemes and that they spend all of their time, 100% focused on reworking the game's structure. Skyward Sword seems like a step in the right direction, though apparently not as far as some had hoped, plus still with a bunch of old franchise flaws.

The ninja star will be an item in Zelda Wii U. You will use the U tablet to throw them at the screen. Quote me on this.

butter_stick said:
Why are you guys ordering from Amazon? Assuming you're in the UK, go with Shopto.

My excuse was that I didn't know any better. I've bought all games so far this year in-store.

Order's been dispatched anyway, so I'm happy.

Alrus

giggas said:
Mine is coming from Amazon... I suspect I won't have it until Monday. The wait will be grueling. Anyone else order from Amazon?

I did (I live in belgium), the order says shipped but the delivery estimate is still for monday :<

AdamBot

Crunched said:
This is really severe in WW, and I hate it, but I've never noticed it in TP (Wii).

Haven't played TP since 2006. Hard to tell from YouTube videos... Definitely looks like its been taken out completely in SS though. Nothing more jarring than stilted/freezing animations.

Tarin02543

Alrus said:
I did (I live in belgium), the order says shipped but the delivery estimate is still for monday :<

I live in belgium as well and I'm getting a fresh copy out of the stores tomorrow evening!

oatmeal

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
I was expecting Red Link to come out playing the castañuelas when Gerudo Valley started playing.

She is really cute, but the video is fucking boring as shit.

Not only is it boring (music is fantastic), but it's awkward as hell.

giggas

Alrus said:

Ah okay. I'm in the US, didn't realize the European version was out tomorrow.

butter_stick said:
Why are you guys ordering from Amazon? Assuming you're in the UK, go with Shopto.

Also, mine was a gift, I don't normally order new releases from Amazon.

NYC GAF: VGNY will probably have it later today. My loss is your gain because I can't stick around to wade through the hippies and police on the way home.

SykoTech

Dascu said:

This please.

TheCongressman1 said:
A few years ago you couldn't find anyone who liked Midna. Now Fi is awful, and Midna is loved.

Zelda cycle runs deep.
You are very confused. Midna was always loved. When TP first came out, it was common to hear that she was not only the best character in the game, but in the entire Zelda series. Try again.

There is no Zelda cycle. The only Zelda games that have gained more praise over the years are Majora's Mask and Wind Waker, but both games always had their fans; they are only more vocal now. If the Zelda cycle was real, Phantom Hourglass would be a fan favorite by now.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
butter_stick said:
I'll be happy.

Dascu said:

Really? Surely that added something to the experience. I can't imagine the combat system not being better then Twilight Princess unless the controls just flat out don't work.

So you two wouldn't mind if they went back to the OOT/WW/TP combat (control) system?

I can report the shocking news the bosses in this game are fantastic.

The third dungeon was amazing, and made up for a zzzz first and an ehh second.

Skiesofwonder said:
Really? Surely that added something to the experience. I can't imagine the combat system not being better then Twilight Princess unless the controls just flat out don't work.

So you two wouldn't mind if they went back to the OOT/WW/TP combat (control) system?
Assuming Wii U's controller is good for motion based first person aiming, I'd be more than happy with a return to typical sword combat. It's not bad, it just means every fight devolves in to the same puzzle; which area is exposed? It's fun, and isn't making me dislike the game, but it doesn't really make much of a difference to me either way. I miss things like the traditional spin attack and the counter attack with A stuff.

I hate the MotionPlus aiming though. I loved the IR aiming in TP, and this is a massive step back.

Dascu

Skiesofwonder said:

I wouldn't mind, provided that the combat is still interesting and challenging. Motion control sword-fighting is one way to handle this, and I liked what I played in the demo, but I don't think it's so essential or so revolutionizing that it should be standard from here on out.

Skiesofwonder said:
I have a feeling some people will be disappointed when Wii U Zelda (probably) goes back to a traditional control scheme. So the question is:

How many people?

My prediction:
over

I will be pretty disappointed but mostly because of the bow/slingshot controls.

butter_stick said:
I'll be happy.

Looks like the Zelda fanbase will be divided yet further.

People who prefer 2D Zelda /3D Zelda
Cartoony graphics(Wind Waker)/cartoon realism (Twilight Princess)
sidequest heavy games (Majora's Mask) /dungeon heavy games (Twilight P.)

and now

traditional controls /motion controls

The days of a Zelda game satifying nearly all of the fanbase are long gone.

Got the game today and played for about an hour. It's so SLOW, unbelievable. I love Zelda but shit like this withheld me from replaying Twilight Princess. Nintendo seriously needs to get with the times on this and AT LEAST have an option make all the text balloons go faster, even more so because we get this prompt every single time.

It's clear to me that I need to get further into it to fully appreciate it, but when Skyrim, Saints Row and Assassins Creed are glancing at me, it's harder for me to take these things for granted.

Sounds bitter but I really want this to be an amazing experience. I guess I just need to stop whining and continue on. :)

KeeSomething said:
You are very confused. Midna was always loved. When TP first came out, it was common to hear that she was not only the best character in the game, but in the entire Zelda series. Try again.

Wow, this is a really jerk-ish post.

I'm mostly joking about the cycle. But, it is true that the communities I used to be involved in didn't really care for Midna, so it's odd to see her being so praised now.

Dascu said:

I agree with you. From the sound of it, they don't want to lose the motion sword play, so they won't really have change much there. Now that we have an awesome new combat system, I'm hoping they put every bit of power into making a great world to play with it in.

Lord_Byron28 said:
He said he was looking into how the Tablet could offer new gameplay enhancements or for an item.

Could work well for the Lens of Truth.

Skiesofwonder said:

How many people?

My prediction:
over
I believe Aonuma said in a recent interview that they were still planning on still using the M+ for Wii U Zelda and that he felt that it would be a step back and a waste if they didn't use it for the Wii U. He said he was looking into how the Tablet could offer new gameplay enhancements or for an item.

Lord_Byron28 said:
I believe Aonuma said in a recent interview that they were still planning on still using the M+ for Wii U Zelda and that he felt that it would be a step back and a waste if they didn't use it for the Wii U. He said he was looking into how the Tablet could offer new gameplay enhancements or for an item.
It's not like he'd say "yeah we'll probably ditch motion controls!" before releasing Motion Controlled Zelda.

Top Bottom