• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

oatmeal

Banned
AkimbO_Arcana said:
just wow... you don't have a good time with this game, do you?

Sure I am.

But that doesn't mean it doesn't do some entirely brainless stuff that I'm just willing to overlook because it's Zelda.

snesfreak said:
LOL.
All this nitpicking treating non-issues like huge game-breaking problems is getting ridiculous.
Don't take the crap they're spewing seriously, they're just desperately trying to find something to bitch about in a damn amazing game.
Fuck off.

snesfreak said:
LOL.
All this nitpicking treating non-issues like huge game-breaking problems is getting ridiculous.
Don't take the crap they're spewing seriously, they're just desperately trying to find something to bitch about in a damn amazing game.
snesfreak, these might well be nitpicks but you should back your claims with some statements at least. As you said, the game is amazing but since Nintendo achieved the hardest part why fucked up somewhat treating the player like a brainless idiot?

Anth0ny

ryan-ts said:
Sounds like no one likes Zelda. Either that or people just like to complain more then praise.

Nah, the fan base just has really high standards. That what you get after 25 years of amazing games.

If the pacing could be so good in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, why is it so poor in Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword? People are going to complain because we've waited 5 god damn years for this game, and are expecting nothing less than perfection.

It's the Zelda factor.

TheExodu5 said:
I want a Zelda with no dialogue at all. Not a single word. That would be grand.
The characters can be some of the best parts of Zelda. But they can also be some of the worst.

I don't want a completely barren world, although I would love a return to the gameplay style of the original Zelda, which focused on exploration and discovery, rather than some fairy/ship/princess-from-another-dimension/sword-spirit telling you where to go at all times.

All I want is easily-skippable dialogue. This would alleviate most of my problems with the game, seriously. I just don't understand why this isn't a standard in Zelda. Whyyyyyy WHYYYYYYYYY.

The other half of my problems lie with the hand-holding. Allow me an option to turn that off completely unless I ask for it, and we have ourselves a perfect game. Well, for me, anyway.

Any reason why release date delivery's not available from Amazon? Is it because it's a Sunday? This is the first release day Nintendo game I ordered from them.

Anth0ny said:
Nah, the fan base just has really high standards. That what you get after 25 years of amazing games.

If the pacing could be so good in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, why is it so poor in Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword? People are going to complain because we've waited 5 god damn years for this game, and are expecting nothing less than perfection.

It's the Zelda factor.
This.

The lows in Zelda hurt because it's fuckin' Zelda.

Randomizer

TheExodu5 said:
I need to decide whether I'm playing on Wii or Dolphin. How is the game on Dolphin?
Perfect as far as I can tell so far. There might be some missing graphical effects here and there but since I've only played on Dolphin I can't be sure.

My Specs if you were wondering:

i5 2500k OC@4.5Ghz
HD 6950 1GB
4GB DDR3

oatmeal

Banned
ryan-ts said:
Sounds like no one likes Zelda. Either that or people just like to complain more then praise.

We like it just fine. But there are things that are still in the game that were in there in OoT.

While it does a ton of things right, it does some things that I just can't even understand what they were thinking.

The positives in a Zelda game are always the dungeons/puzzles. They're great here, too (when they let you just do it). So there's no need to discuss that...

Reading this thread, you'd think this was a terrible game.

I think it would be better for my own ability to play it if I just kept out. I have issues with the game, but I guess they don't really rise to the level I see here.

weeaboo

Aeana said:
I find this so odd. She pops up sometimes but usually it's just after a story scene or something. Or to tell you about a new dowsing target or something like that. I've never been annoyed with her popping up in the cases when she does it automatically.

I have a laundry list of complaints with the game (one of which almost made me decide to just put the game down without even bothering to finish it), but I do not get the big deal about Fi.

She's like a endless opening tutorial without soul or personality. Navi and Midna at least had personality.

Also
5th
dungeon finished, the dungeon and boss design have been fucking amazing.

zoukka

Yeah somehow I feel that we are approaching the critical times when spoilers will slip, the hyperbolic praise and trolling will start and they all mix up to create a giant void that sucks any joy of actually starting the game and forgetting all else...

So tomorrow morning I'll run to the store, go to work, try to finish all my tasks ASAP and get back to home and lock myself in the living room alone and deal with the real world in monday morning.

I don't mind Fi, but I just see her as an interface created by the Goddess purely to fulfil a task. She contrasts nicely against the human characters with their quirks, oddities and irrationalities.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
FleckSplat said:
Any reason why release date delivery's not available from Amazon? Is it because it's a Sunday? This is the first release day Nintendo game I ordered from them.
Isn't it because they don't deliver on Sundays?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
All I know is, I loved OoT, I loved WW and I loved TP and no they're not all equal but why do each and everyone of them have to adhere to some kind of immeasurable, subjective, quality standard? I'm sure Skyward Sword is an amazing game and objectively speaking a well made one at that.

ryan-ts said:
It's not so much that as it is that these problems have literally existed since the N64 era, and Nintendo has not seen fit to fix them, either because they actively disagree with people like us to such a degree as to completely ignore us... or they just don't realize it's a problem.

I love every single Zelda game I've played. The only ones I haven't played are: Zelda II, Spirit Tracks, and the Oracles games. Oh, and Four Swords Adventures. But c'monnnnnn.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
All you people with your little tiny nitpicks.

At least you're actually PLAYING the game now.....

By the way I loved the openings to Twilight Princess and Windwaker. Yeah it's basically a glorified tutorial but they do a wonderful job of building the world and the anticipation to an EPIC journey. Also, I'm a stickler for reading directions.... mostly.

Edit: Anybody expecting Nintendo to get rid of the tutorial in Skyward Sword was/is delusional. Nintendo has been trying to make all it's major series casual-friendly since the beginning of the Wii era. To expect Nintendo to suddenly stop explaining how you use the controller when they are introducing a brand-new control scheme on the Wii is silly.

Anth0ny

Fi's personality:

1-12232381324vcn.jpg

or possibly:

va_loan_calculator.jpg

oatmeal said:
We like it just fine. But there are things that are still in the game that were in there in OoT.

While it does a ton of things right, it does some things that I just can't even understand what they were thinking.

The positives in a Zelda game are always the dungeons/puzzles. They're great here, too (when they let you just do it). So there's no need to discuss that...

Keep in mind that there are 8 year old kids out there, experiencing their first Zelda game right now, not the eighth one or even more. I'm not defending the game and please don't go to much into detail, because I'm not that far yet. Maybe you are right but Nintendo has a hard time here to please us AND the new ones.
And in games like Galaxy 1/2 they did a pretty good job at this imo...

TheExodu5

Banned
Corky said:
All I know is, I loved OoT, I loved WW and I loved TP and no they're not all equal but why do each and everyone of them have to adhere to some kind of immeasurable, subjective, quality standard? I'm sure Skyward Sword is an amazing game and objectively speaking a well made one at that.
But they could be much better with a few simple design changes. That's what's so frustrating.

oatmeal

Banned
AkimbO_Arcana said:
Keep in mind that there are 8 year old kids out there, experiencing their first Zelda game right now, not the eighth one or even more. I'm not defending the game and please don't go to much into detail, because I'm not that far yet. Maybe you are right but Nintendo has a hard time here to please us AND the new ones.
And in games like Galaxy 1/2 they did a pretty good job at this imo...

Yeah Galaxy games are great. They hold your hand a little bit to give you pertinent info, and then you're sort of on your own (though I hate that G2 kicks you back to the hub world when you finish a level, it's a minor thing).

And I realize that there are kids out there that don't have experience with Zelda, if that's the argument, then they have to realize that there are 20-somethings and up that grew up on the franchise and know exactly what to do.

Give us an option to play Hero mode from the start and complaints would not be as loud.

It's like OoT 3DS, with hte Master Quest (the main reason a lot of people bought the game) only being unlocked AFTER you go through the regular version.

It's just not very forward thinking.

I'd love EAD Tokyo to give the game a shot, I firmly believe they are Nintendo's most talented developer right now.

Truth101

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
But they could be much better with a few simple design changes. That's what's so frustrating.

Every game can.

oatmeal said:
Yeah Galaxy games are great. They hold your hand a little bit to give you pertinent info, and then you're sort of on your own (though I hate that G2 kicks you back to the hub world when you finish a level, it's a minor thing).

And I realize that there are kids out there that don't have experience with Zelda, if that's the argument, then they have to realize that there are 20-somethings and up that grew up on the franchise and know exactly what to do.

Give us an option to play Hero mode from the start and complaints would not be as loud.

It's like OoT 3DS, with hte Master Quest (the main reason a lot of people bought the game) only being unlocked AFTER you go through the regular version.

It's just not very forward thinking.

I'd love EAD Tokyo to give the game a shot, I firmly believe they are Nintendo's most talented developer right now.

yes, because you really know the main reason why people bought the game.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
TheExodu5 said:

I feel like that's the case with many so called "AAA" games, I hit my head on my desk and ask myself "why didn't they just do X?". Then again, I might be the odd one out when it comes to zelda games. I mean I enjoyed the sailing and loved the aesthetics of the game whereas many did not.

ryan-ts

Anth0ny said:

It's the Zelda factor.

I suppose. As someone who's not a huge fan of 3D Zelda, I certainly cannot understand where you're coming from.

Anth0ny

Truth101 said:
Every game can.

we don't wait 5 years for a new installment for every game.

oh, and not every game is part of a 25 year old juggernaut of a franchise.

ryan-ts said:
I suppose. As someone who's not a huge fan of 3D Zelda, I certainly cannot understand where you're coming from.

2D Zeldas don't have the problem.

Truth101

Banned
Anth0ny said:
we don't wait 5 years for a new installment for every game.

oh, and not every game is part of a 25 year old juggernaut of a franchise.

2D Zeldas don't have the problem.

The point is that no matter what is changed, or what is fixed. There are always going to be a few things, to a few people that could have been changed/fixed. Making the game better for those few. it isn't simply saying x is a problem so change it and the game will automatically be better.

oatmeal

Banned
Truth101 said:
Every game can.
How many games got so close with the first one and then spend the next 13 years repeating the same mistakes?

Truth101 said:
yes, because you really know the main reason why people bought the game.
Oh come on. This was a complaint for a lot of people on the board. It was a big allure to a lot of people.

Lord_Byron28 said:
Are people complaining that a robot/sword doesn't have a personality? I didn't think robots were supposed to have a personality.
So you're saying we should instead be tackling the rest of the unrealistic stuff in the game?

Pretty sure this is fantasy.

Anth0ny

Truth101 said:
The point is that no matter what is changed, or what is fixed. There are always going to be a few things, to a few people that could have been changed/fixed. Making the game better for those few. it isn't simply saying x is a problem so change it and the game will automatically be better.

you're right.

but for seriously, the triforce quest at the end of Wind Waker sucked.

Sinthetic

Just played the opening, 2 hours of awesomeness. I took my time and explored, spoke to every single person, bashed every bush and rolled into every tree. Slashed a hundred logs and was charmed by how cute Zelda is.

Brilliant game, the sword fighting works so well when you are not waggling... The flying really worked for me too, it was easy and smooth.

Amazing music too, the song Zelda sings reminds me loads of Ghibli and we all know how much I love Ghibli.

Characters and dialogue are hilarious, I laughed at Groose chatting with Zelda.

Consider me juggling between this and 3D Land. Good times.

I think Fi is going to be just as loved as Midna by me, I love her voice and she looks cool as Hell.

Corky said:
I feel like that's the case with many so called "AAA" games, I hit my head on my desk and ask myself "why didn't they just do X?". Then again, I might be the odd one out when it comes to zelda games. I mean I enjoyed the sailing and loved the aesthetics of the game whereas many did not.
To be fair "Why didn't they just do X?" is more complex than it seems a lot of times.

Dr.Hadji

Anth0ny said:
you're right.

but for seriously, the triforce quest at the end of Wind Waker sucked.

I loved it. Best part of the game next to the intro and the final battle. It was basically open world Zelda if you wanted to play it that way.

Truth101

Banned
oatmeal said:
How many games got so close with the first one and then spend the next 13 years repeating the same mistakes?

Oh come on. This was a complaint for a lot of people on the board. It was a big allure to a lot of people.

So you're saying we should instead be tackling the rest of the unrealistic stuff in the game?

Pretty sure this is fantasy.

What does this even mean?

The first game was close to what?
What mistakes have been repeated for 13 years?

You know elaborating what you are talking about goes a long way.

oatmeal

Banned
Truth101 said:

That's true in most cases.

But a lot of the complaints were voicing are the same ones we've been voicing for years. They give us the option to remove the HUD, why not give us an option to speed up dialogue boxes or turn off hints?

It's not a game-changing thing, it's just another option for the user. The game is built towards a new Zelda player, and for those of us who have been with the series for so long, it's really frustrating.

Truth101 said:
What does this even mean?

The first game was close to what?
What mistakes have been repeated for 13 years?

You know elaborating what you are talking about goes a long way.
Oh, I thought talking about it for the last two pages was sufficient. And since I quote your saying "Every game can", there was context provided to what we' were talking about. Remember, you were in the conversation. Perhaps re-reading where the conversation was heading might help?

Anyways...problems that existed since OoT (the game that came out 13 years ago, just so we're clear):

- Annoying sidekick that forces their presence (Navi, so we're clear)
- NPC's with unskippable dialogue (Kaepora)
- Too much handholding
- etc.

Let me know if you need clarification. Thx.

Top Bottom