• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

wrowa

oatmeal said:
It was painful, though.

If you want to make us explore...don't tell us what to do! Finding those Kikwi's doesn't make the game more fun, it just adds more annoying 'find this so you can do this'. If we want to explore, we will.
But when you design an area to resemble something like a dungeon you can't make exploring voluntary, in that case the complete idea behind it would become meaningless.

oatmeal

Banned
Dascu said:
Does she pop up automatically, or does her icon just flash or something, together with the usual beeping noise?

She pops up automatically all the time...and then she has an annoying alert sound when she wants to be brought out for air and to tell you something pointless.

oatmeal

Banned
wrowa said:
But when you design an area to resemble something like a dungeon you can't make exploring voluntary, in that case the complete idea behind it would become meaningless.

The mountain and the desert feel more like a dungeon because they have puzzles.

The forest feels nothing like a dungeon.

Dr.Hadji

TheCongressman1 said:
A few years ago you couldn't find anyone who liked Midna. Now Fi is awful, and Midna is loved.

Zelda cycle runs deep.

No sir. Just like the speed of light, Minda love is a constant.

ameleco

wrowa said:
Skyward's Sword opening is less about explaining the basics of the game, than introducing you to the setup of the world and its characters. It's really charming and well made.

There are dull-tasks, and unneccessary text boxes too, one can't deny that, but that's really not the main part of it.

Sure, you might dislike the story (Personally, I think it's presented wonderfully and I really like the way Zelda and other characters are portrayed), but calling it a long tutorial isn't doing it justice.
:D Sounds like I'll be happy if the experience itself ends up being better than the sum of its parts as you said it is.

*low on health*
*Link FLASHES RED*
*Game has CONSTANT BEEP*
*UNIQUE FI SOUND SO SHE CAN TELL YOU YOU'RE LOW ON HEALTH IF YOU PRESS DOWN ON D-PAD*

Well, I'm glad I can get my hopes and dreams for a Zelda game without super-slow walls of text and annoying sidekicks out of the way BEFORE I get the game, this time.

Gives me time to prepare.

butter_stick said:
*low on health*
*Link FLASHES RED*
*Game has CONSTANT BEEP*
*UNIQUE FI SOUND SO SHE CAN TELL YOU YOU'RE LOW ON HEALTH IF YOU PRESS DOWN ON D-PAD*

I gather heart pieces in WW/TP not because the game is hard, but because I'm so sick of the constant beeping sound. I know I'm low on health Nintendo, I'm not a complete idiot, stop treating me like one. Seems the tradition continues.

oatmeal said:
I'm up to
Water Dragon shit

So far the kikwi crap was the worst. The key shards and power stuff was much more fun.
Won't say anything of the proceeding parts. However yours is one of the judgments im looking forward to hear since from what i can see you keep your head cool when talking about the game.
TheExodu5 said:
Exploration should never be forced upon the player. The player should want to explore for reasons made evident by the game: hidden treasures, shortcuts, beautiful scenery, landmarks, or some form of reward.

When I'm playing Skyrim and see a huge statue on the top of a mountain, I don't think to myself "I'm only going to go there if they give me a quest to go there", I think "oh, wow, cool! A giant statue! I wonder what's up there?".
Exellent analisys about exploration The Exodu, however don't mention the other Sky game because fanatics will question your motifs :)
TheExodu5 said:
If the intro is truly charming then I might not mind as much, but I'm not holding my breath, as I can't say I've ever been charmed by a Zelda game before...at least not in the way that I might be charmed by something Mario & Luigi (I could listen to Fawful all day long).
The intro is better than Twilight Princess.

The companion in Skyward Sword its an amazing concept that Nintendo fucked up in practice.

TheExodu5

Banned
If the intro is truly charming then I might not mind as much, but I'm not holding my breath, as I can't say I've ever been charmed by a Zelda game before...at least not in the way that I might be charmed by something Mario & Luigi (I could listen to Fawful all day long).

TheExodu5 said:
The game is very charming. You'll like the setting and characters at least. But it does the same things Zelda has always done to make you feel completely patronised.

TheExodu5

Banned
butter_stick said:
The game is very charming. You'll like the setting and characters at least. But it does the same things Zelda has always done to make you feel completely patronised.

I'll keeping my hopes up, then. Although I don't know anything about him, the villain is looking mighty interesting to me. Link and Zelda are seemingly as blissfully ignorant as ever though. Keep in mind, these are just my impressions from reviews and gameplay videos, and not from actually playing the game.

oatmeal

Banned
Refreshment.01 said:
Won't say anything of the proceeding parts. However yours is one of the judgments im looking forward to hear since from what i can see you keep your head cool when talking about the game.

Cool. STAY TUNED :)

I'm a big Zelda fan, having collected so many versions of the games (JAP/UK) just because...but maybe I'm outgrowing the franchise a little bit? I still really enjoy it, but the experience just isn't seamless.

There's so many times where I'm just hacking the A button in frustration, trying to tell the game to hurry up already.

Another horrible offender is the NPC's. Especially in mini-games.

No I don't want to hear your little tongue-in-cheek joke again, just ask "PLAY AGAIN - YES/NO" and I will select.

TheExodu5

Banned
oatmeal said:

I'm a big Zelda fan, having collected so many versions of the games (JAP/UK) just because...but maybe I'm outgrowing the franchise a little bit? I still really enjoy it, but the experience just isn't seamless.

There's so many times where I'm just hacking the A button in frustration, trying to tell the game to hurry up already.

No I don't want to hear your little tongue-in-cheek joke again, just ask "PLAY AGAIN - YES/NO" and I will select.

God help me if there's a "Would you like to hear this explanation again" line with "Yes" selected by default.

oatmeal said:

Have you played the pumpkin game?

oatmeal

Banned
butter_stick said:
Have you played the pumpkin game?

Carrying the 5 pumpkins?

Yes.

That was...BY FUCKING FAR...the worst thing that happened to me that day.

(EDIT)
The worst part was I kept reading the instructions backwards...I went left when I should have went right. For like a half-hour.

But...Jesus...I know that your dad said I'd help, you've said it fifty times already.

oatmeal

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
God help me if there's a "Would you like to hear this explanation again" line with "Yes" selected by default.

This doesn't have anything selected by default, this one has the 'flick wrist left/right' depending on answer thing.

Which I constantly fuck up because you go right and it goes to the right, but your wrist relaxes and slightly goes left and you shoot over to the left just in time to hit the button and hear the explanation again.

snesfreak

Banned
LOL.
All this nitpicking treating non-issues like huge game-breaking problems is getting ridiculous.
Don't take the crap they're spewing seriously, they're just desperately trying to find something to bitch about in a damn amazing game.

oatmeal

Banned
snesfreak said:
LOL.
All this nitpicking treating non-issues like huge game-breaking problems is getting ridiculous.
Don't take the crap they're spewing seriously, they're just desperately trying to find something to bitch about in a damn amazing game.

Sorry. Try again.

These are legitimate issues when the game steals any sense of adventure you might get a lot of the time. And the game force feeds you answers to clever puzzles, destroying any satisfaction you'd get from solving it.

TheExodu5

Banned
snesfreak said:
LOL.

Are you to suggest our complaints aren't valid? Why is Zelda suddenly immune to criticism? I'm criticising the games because I want them to improve. I'm not going to validate poor design choices.

Dascu

TheExodu5 said:
Are you to suggest our complaints aren't valid? Why is Zelda suddenly immune to criticism? I'm criticising the games because I want them to improve. I'm not going to validate poor design choices.
It's possible that some of these complaints are exaggerations. I'm sure that a substantial amount of puzzles in the game do not have Fi spoiling them.

oatmeal said:
Carrying the 5 pumpkins?

Yes.

Oh god this. It's just a badly designed minigame. The character controls just don't lend themselves to this type of shit. Especially with the obstacles lying in your way. It's not impossible, and it's not even that hard if you take your time but it's just not fun. Everything else I have absolutely no problem with. The bamboo cutting is kinda just there and Fun Fun Island is actually fun.

Anth0ny said:
Fi is 100000000000000000x worse than Navi.

No way.

oatmeal said:
Carrying the 5 pumpkins?

Yes.

(EDIT)
The worst part was I kept reading the instructions backwards...I went left when I should have went right. For like a half-hour.

But...Jesus...I know that your dad said I'd help, you've said it fifty times already.
:lol seriously. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to make the instructions longer than the game.

TheCongressman1 said:
A few years ago you couldn't find anyone who liked Midna. Now Fi is awful, and Midna is loved.

Zelda cycle runs deep.
???

Even when TP first released I remember Midna's character arc listed as a huge positive. I remember people complaining about her in the first 2 or 3 dungeons but after that I recall a lot of compliments and in fact most people saying she was the only part of the story that people liked.

Kard8p3

I haven't played this yet but I'm sure it'll be an amazing game. With that being said I'd love to see EAD Tokyo do the WiiU Zelda game. Have Yokota as the main composer and Koizumi as director and story writer. Koizumi even seemed like he really wanted to do the next Zelda back at E3.

Synless

AkimbO_Arcana said:
6 tracks, 45 min. pretty great, as soon as I stop playing, I listen to the soundtrack. Same the other way around :)
Are the six tracks multiple songs compiled together, or just really long? 45 minutes is long for just six songs.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
oatmeal said:
Sorry. Try again.

These are legitimate issues when the game steals any sense of adventure you might get a lot of the time. And the game force feeds you answers to clever puzzles, destroying any satisfaction you'd get from solving it.
I don't know what you are talking about. I'm in the third dungeon and I've been stuck several times with clever puzzles. You can ask Fai to help you, but you are not forced to ask for her help.

And yes, the game is glorious, it has little annoyances, it still is glorious.

Anth0ny

butter_stick said:
Agreed. I like Navi though.

Yeah. I never understood the hate.

Fi stops you dead in your tracks to tell you useless shit more times in the first 40 minutes of SS than Navi does in all of Ocarina of Time.

ksamedi

I actually like Fi. Especially the dancing :)

The intro is way better than TP. Atleast you go into a mini dungeon pretty quick. TP had the horrible wolf sections. SS gains major momentum right after you land in the first area and never stops.

I'm really enjoying this game.

Alrus

So is Fi worse than Issun from Okami or is she better? (I believe Issun is the worst sidekick in videogame history btw)

Aeana

weeaboo said:
Yup, Fi is awful, she just can't shut up
I find this so odd. She pops up sometimes but usually it's just after a story scene or something. Or to tell you about a new dowsing target or something like that. I've never been annoyed with her popping up in the cases when she does it automatically.

I have a laundry list of complaints with the game (one of which almost made me decide to just put the game down without even bothering to finish it), but I do not get the big deal about Fi.

snesfreak said:
LOL.
No, these sort of things have been real issues in Zelda since OoT.

It's AMAZING to me that there's still no real SKIP TEXT SUPER QUICKLY option when I open a chest. YES I KNOW IT'S A SMALL KEY YES I KNOW IT'S A RUPEE JESUS SHUT UP GAME.

Unless people are lying and that does exist in Skyward Sword.

Even if it does, when people are talking in Zelda games, they talk real slow. I can read faster than a five-year-old, thank you.

I also don't enjoy having my hand held by the game. Allow me the luxury of turning off hints. I DON'T WANT THEM UNTIL I'M ACTUALLY STUCK. EDIT: Apparently this is not an issue according to a few posts above this. That's good. Check that box.

The little shit adds up. It is a hindrance to my enjoyment of the game. I have yet to play a Zelda game I did not love, but that doesn't mean the series is without fault.

OVERABUNDANCE OF CAPS LOCK.

Synless said:
Are the six tracks multiple songs compiled together, or just really long? 45 minutes is long for just six songs.

Sorry, there are 8 tracks:

1. Track 1 - 8'08''
2. Kakariko Village - Twilight Princess Theme - 2'50"
3. The Wind Waker Symphony Movement - 10'31"
4. Gerudo Valley - 3'36"
5. Great Fairy's Fountain Theme - 3'03"
6. Twilight Princess Symphonic Movement - 10'31''
7. The Legend of Zelda Main Theme Medley - 4'28''
8. Ballad of the Goddes from Skyward Sword - 2'02''

Edit: "Track 1" is kind of an intro...

Lord_Byron28 said:
???

Even when TP first released I remember Midna's character arc listed as a huge positive. I remember people complaining about her in the first 2 or 3 dungeons but after that I recall a lot of compliments and in fact most people saying she was the only part of the story that people liked.

Maybe around here, but some other Zelda communities seemed to hate her at the time. I've always like her, myself.

TheExodu5

Banned
I didn't play much of TP, but Midna seemed mildly interesting to me. Probably the most interesting Zelda character I had seen to date.

Prinny

oatmeal said:
This doesn't have anything selected by default, this one has the 'flick wrist left/right' depending on answer thing.

Which I constantly fuck up because you go right and it goes to the right, but your wrist relaxes and slightly goes left and you shoot over to the left just in time to hit the button and hear the explanation again.
You can use the analog stick instead of moving the wiimote.

Dr.Hadji

TheCongressman1 said:
Maybe around here, but some other Zelda communities seemed to hate her at the time. I've always like her, myself.

Come to think of it. I think I remember fans being upset that she treats Link so poorly at the start to the game.

Anth0ny

Togglesworlh said:
No, these sort of things have been real issues in Zelda since OoT.

It's AMAZING to me that there's still no real SKIP TEXT SUPER QUICKLY option when I open a chest. YES I KNOW IT'S A SMALL KEY YES I KNOW IT'S A RUPEE JESUS SHUT UP GAME.

Unless people are lying and that does exist in Skyward Sword.

Even if it does, when people are talking in Zelda games, they talk real slow. I can read faster than a five-year-old, thank you.

I also don't enjoy having my hand held by the game. Allow me the luxury of turning off hints. I DON'T WANT THEM UNTIL I'M ACTUALLY STUCK.

The little shit adds up. It is a hindrance to my enjoyment of the game. I have yet to play a Zelda game I did not love, but that doesn't mean the series is without fault.

OVERABUNDANCE OF CAPS LOCK.

Yeah, so true. I have read "You got a small key! It can be used to unlock a door in this dungeon! It can only be used once" an unfathomable amount of times. It really makes you appreciate the original Zelda. Key appears, you pick that shit up. GET IT? You can even use them in other dungeons!

A way to skip text/cutscenes would really make me want to replay the games more. Could you imagine TP with skippable dialogue? That intro wouldn't be a problem at all.

Aeana

Anth0ny said:
Yeah, so true. I have read "You got a small key! It can be used to unlock a door in this dungeon! It can only be used once" an unfathomable amount of times. It really makes you appreciate the original Zelda. Key appears, you pick that shit up. You can even use them in other dungeons!

A way to skip text/cutscenes would really make me want to replay the games more. Could you imagine TP with skippable dialogue? That intro wouldn't be a problem at all.
You can at least skip some scenes in SS with 2.

TheExodu5

Banned
Anth0ny said:
Yeah, so true. I have read "You got a small key! It can be used to unlock a door in this dungeon! It can only be used once" an unfathomable amount of times. It really makes you appreciate the original Zelda. Key appears, you pick that shit up. GET IT? You can even use them in other dungeons!

I want a Zelda with no dialogue at all. Not a single word. That would be grand.

Top Bottom