• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Relix said:
You are basically shoved it down your throat. Its not only about the dowsing though, its... the... stupid... needless... absolutely useless... fetch quests.

Damn you are close :p!
Nah, you just quickly select the dowsing target and the companion shuts up. Now those fetch quests just for the sake of extending the play time are a valid point.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
oatmeal said:
It's probably smart to search out the negative from people, because it adjusts your expectations properly.

If you read IGN's review and say "I must have this game", I think you're going to be pretty disappointed.

TSA had a great review (or bullet-point impressions) that hit the pros and the cons, and many of them were true, and some of them weren't cons for me. And vice versa.

But knowing that there are issues for people will keep you honest.

Personally, I'm only really posting about the negative, and the stuff I'm posting might seem nitpicky, but that's the stuff that's sticking out. It has its issues, but it's still classic Zelda.
There are about 20 perfect scores already from major publishers, not just IGN. Just to say.

Big One

Banned
Refreshment.01 said:
Nah, you just quickly select the dowsing target and the companion shuts up. Now those fetch quests just for the sake of extending the play time are a valid point.
However the fetch quests are a very small part of the game. There's only
of them and the second one is actually pretty well designed cause you're introduced to new areas of the map with it.

Effect

Refreshment.01 said:
I beg to differ, dowsing is not stupid at all. Dowsing is an aid system that it's well executed, is opt to the player to use it or not.
I always assumed it was optional from the footage I did see. How much it's used I assume is up to the player. Could be wrong though, well see. I thought it was said it took the place of the compass and maybe dungeon maps? With those you could ignore them if you wished and just use the environments as your guide. You could always make Zelda games harder on yourself if you chose to.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Big One said:
I'm not sure where the long intro is coming from people. Unless you literally drag in the game itself, the intro only takes about a solid 20 minutes. That's shorter than any of the 3D Zeldas except for Ocarina of Time. When people replay the game they're going to realize how short the intro actually is.

The game is also the best paced Zelda since Ocarina of Time, but the later is still better paced overall.

I didn't drag and it took me well over 90 minutes to get to some actual gameplay down below the sky :p!

Aeana

Effect said:
I always assumed it was optional from the footage I did see. How much it's used I assume is up to the player. Could be wrong though, well see. I thought it was said it took the place of the compass and maybe dungeon maps? With those you could ignore them if you wished and just use the environments as your guide. You could always make Zelda games harder on yourself if you choose to.
It is. You don't have to use it if you don't want to.

oatmeal

Banned
Spiffy_1st said:
"Hi, would you do this fetch quest please? Find these 3 things"

"Link, my sources tell me we have to find these 3 things, to find these things we will use he dousing method."
"I shall update the map with the location of this guy"
"Link, we have a new dousing thing"
"Would you like a tutorial on how to use the dosing method?"

"NO"

*find fetch quest thing*

"Link, this is the first thing that we need to find."
"I have updated the map with the location of this guy"
"Use the dousing method to find the other guys"

*find fetch quest thing*

"Link, this is the second thing that we need to find."

Please, please, please tell me Fi isn't like this the entire game. So far the 7.5 review is looking generous.
25 hours in and she's the same way.

It's intensely frustrating.

Anth0ny

Big One said:
I'm not sure where the long intro is coming from people. Unless you literally drag in the game itself, the intro only takes about a solid 20 minutes. That's shorter than any of the 3D Zeldas except for Ocarina of Time. When people replay the game they're going to realize how short the intro actually is.

The game is also the best paced Zelda since Ocarina of Time, but the later is still better paced overall.

Not better than Majora's Mask.

but it's definitely better than Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. I think we need to establish what an "intro" is.

Spiffy_1st said:
Please, please, please tell me Fi isn't like this the entire game. So far the 7.5 review is looking generous.

Master, there is an 85% probability of it continuing.

oatmeal

Banned
marc^o^ said:
There are about 20 perfect scores already from major publishers, not just IGN. Just to say.

Just using them as a reference.

No review, except EDGE, got as much excitement as IGN's.

IGN is hated by everyone, but for some reason, their reviews are always the one to watch for.

oatmeal

Banned
Anth0ny said:
Not better than Majora's Mask.

but it's definitely better than Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. I think we need to establish what an "intro" is.

My idea intro in Skyward Sword.

Wake up in bed.

Explore.

If you want to rescue a cat, do it on your own by finding that quest. Don't make it a mandatory dialogue (that I know you can skip). Just give me the town, have the villagers feed me some information that I can get IF I WANT TO.

Think of Chrono Trigger's intro at the festival. Something like that...there's lots to do, but you don't have to.

Big One said:
However the fetch quests are a very small part of the game. There's only
of them and the second one is actually pretty well designed cause you're introduced to new areas of the map with it.
Bigone, i thing our the definitions of what a fetch quest is are really different.

The number of collecting marathons is close to triple what you posted.

And to repeat, the game is really, really good. A save buy for any Wii owner, etc. That's obvious but i try to concentrate on things that can improve the game and that Nintendo has ignored for years.

Myriadis

I'm quite surprised that this game comes out earlier here. I thought it was available on the 18th, but they sold it today already here in germany, maybe even earlier.

Big One

Banned
Refreshment.01 said:
Bigone, i thing our the definitions of what a fetch quest is are really different.

The number of collecting marathons is close to triple what you posted.
Okay tell me then, what other fetch quests are there? These are the only ones I even recall encountering:

Kikwi hunt
Earth Temple key hunt
Water Dragon tadpole hunt

Gregorn

oatmeal said:
25 hours in and she's the same way.

It's intensely frustrating.

Anth0ny said:

:(

A thought went through my head that Nintendo might patch in a skip button or something, but there's a less than 0% chance of that happening.

AdamBot

EmCeeGramr said:
That and I just realized Wind Waker had a lot of weird tiny little voice samples of actual words.

Beedle.png

"THANK YOOOUUUU"

I sold the disappointing Saints Row 3 and bought this game. 90 mins played and I like it so far. Well, I don't even got the green clothes until now.
Don't know if it's a better beginning as it was in Twilight Princess (I think yes) but I really like the art style.
It's too bad that Wii games doesn't look very good on LCD TV's :/

Anth0ny

Spiffy_1st said:
:(

A thought went through my head that Nintendo might patch in a skip button or something, but there's a less than 0% chance of that happening.

Maybe someone will release an Ocarina code that lets you scroll through text super fast. that would be pretty useful.

oatmeal said:

Wake up in bed.

Explore.

If you want to rescue a cat, do it on your own by finding that quest. Don't make it a mandatory dialogue (that I know you can skip). Just give me the town, have the villagers feed me some information that I can get IF I WANT TO.

Think of Chrono Trigger's intro at the festival. Something like that...there's lots to do, but you don't have to.

So... Ocarina of Time? =P

Want to learn how to use the sword? Read signs. Want to learn how to pick up rocks? Read signs. "Want to learn how to Z target? Talk to me!" Or not.

If Ocarina of Time was released today, you would have left your house, and Saria would have made you do 100 fucking mini tutorials before allowing you to search for the Kokiri Sword and get those 40 rupees for the shield. Instead, everything is optional. Keep in mind: this is the first 3D Zelda game! It's a completely new experience for everyone. Yet, long, drawn out tutorials weren't forced onto the player.

normal_ocarina-of-time-instruction-manual.jpg

lol remember these things

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Spiffy_1st said:
"Hi, would you do this fetch quest please? Find these 3 things"

"Link, my sources tell me we have to find these 3 things, to find these things we will use he dousing method."
"I shall update the map with the location of this guy"
"Link, we have a new dousing thing"
"Would you like a tutorial on how to use the dosing method?"

"NO"

*find fetch quest thing*

"Link, this is the first thing that we need to find."

*find fetch quest thing*

"Link, this is the second thing that we need to find."

That's funny you mention this, I just finished a similar sequence in the desert. It takes seconds to learn these informations. Is this annoying? Yes perhaps. Does it take few seconds to get through this? Yes, definitely. Are the looong game sequences before and after these seconds awesome? Oh yes. Draw your own conclusions.

Kard8p3

oatmeal said:

Wake up in bed.

Explore.

I haven't played it yet but I was told you don't have to get the cat if you don't want. I was actually told a good deal of the tutorial stuff in the beginning can be skipped.

Big One said:
Okay tell me then, what other fetch quests are there? These are the only ones I even recall encountering:

Kikwi hunt
Earth Temple key hunt
Oh really?! Withouth getting into details because some people accidentally highlight the spoilers. Don't you consider the tear hunts in Twilight Princess fetch quests/collectathons or whatever?
Effect said:
I always assumed it was optional from the footage I did see. How much it's used I assume is up to the player.
Optional with the companion suggesting that you should dowse.

Also Effect thanks for reminding me something important.

Players interested in having some challenge in the Dungeons DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT look at the maps after you collect them. Look at them as a last resort.

My favourite sound sample is when you fall from Skyloft without calling your bird, one of the knights saves you and takes his leave with a "ah-huuh". Sounds so douchey.

Big One

Banned
Refreshment.01 said:
Oh really?! Withouth getting into details because some people accidentally highlight the spoilers. Don't you consider the tear hunts in Twilight Princess fetch quests/collectathons or whatever?
Silent Realm
challenges are fetch quests? What? Why would you even complain about those? Some of the best parts of the entire game are the
Silent Realm
challenges. Not even sure how you compare the tedium of finding a Kikwi to doing an actual challenging, rewarding gameplay experience.

Twilight Princess tear hunts they are not.

oatmeal

Banned
Big One said:

Kikwi hunt
Earth Temple key hunt

That third one makes my heart hurt because I'm at the save right before it. I was really hoping there wouldn't be some stupid fetch quest after climbing that stupid tree and finding that emblem...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Z1koY.jpg

I've played through the intro/tutorial part of the game now, and so far I'm absolutely loving it! This game is so full of fun, emotion, amazing music... it's just a wonderful experience!

The controls seem very good so far as well, I'm slashing away at different angles with no issues at all. The only problem I've been having is that the pointer on the item screen (or whatever the screen you press 1 to get to is called) drifts off-center pretty quickly. Not a huge issue, but somewhat annoying.

Dascu

Using "fetch quest", and the negative connotation associated with that term, for everything that involves finding and collecting a certain amount of items, is kind of a silly and at least very un-nuanced thing to do.

Aeana

oatmeal said:
That third one makes my heart hurt because I'm at the save right before it. I was really hoping there wouldn't be some stupid fetch quest after climbing that stupid tree and finding that emblem...
It sucks. If you get through it without wanting to stop playing for the day, you're stronger than I am.

Big One

Banned
is probably the worst part of the entire game and is genuinely pretty shit. It's pretty much light tears all over again except in
water

oatmeal

Banned
Anth0ny said:
Maybe someone will release an Ocarina code that lets you scroll through text super fast. that would be pretty useful.

So... Ocarina of Time? =P

I'm just using the intro they gave us. He wakes up (like he does in TP, WW, and OoT...and LTTP...and LA)...so I'm not changing anything. Just using what they gave us.

oatmeal

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
I haven't played it yet but I was told you don't have to get the cat if you don't want. I was actually told a good deal of the tutorial stuff in the beginning can be skipped.

You don't have to get the cat, but you have to listen to him jibber jabber.

ivysaur12

Banned
Big One said:
is probably the worst part of the entire game and is genuinely pretty shit. It's pretty much light tears all over again except in
water

That sounds horrendous.

Refreshment.01 said:
Players interested in having some challenge in the Dungeons DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT look at the maps after you collect them. Look at them as a last resort.
Is it really that bad? It should be entirely possible to design a challenging dungeon without requiring players to avoid looking at the map they've just obtained.

oatmeal

Banned
Aeana said:
It sucks. If you get through it without wanting to stop playing for the day, you're stronger than I am.
Eep!

Big One said:
water
Oh wait. That must be the thing at the end, then. I'm at the part:

Where you swim and follow that weird fish-thing to the Water Dragon to get the first fire scale.

I don't think I'm there yet...if I am. HELL TO PAY.

Aeana

oatmeal said:
Eep!

Oh wait. That must be the thing at the end, then. I'm at the part:

Where you swim and follow that weird fish-thing to the Water Dragon to get the first fire scale.

I don't think I'm there yet...if I am. HELL TO PAY.
You're not there yet. That part isn't bad at all.

Big One said:
Silent Realm
challenges are fetch quests? What? Why would you even complain about those? Some of the best parts of the entire game are the
Silent Realm
challenges. Not even sure how you compare the tedium of finding a Kikwi to doing an actual challenging, rewarding gameplay experience.

Twilight Princess tear hunts they are not.
Fetch quest is a fetch quest no matter what you think of it, you are giving a low number. Anyway im saving this post for when people have played the game, or if someone wants to lend me a hand here.

Also Bigone there's another fetch quest you arent adressing. But that one was some what interesting.
Dascu said:
Using "fetch quest", and the negative connotation associated with that term, for everything that involves finding and collecting a certain amount of items, is kind of a silly and at least very un-nuanced thing to do.
Im speaking in objective terms no matter how tedious or awesome the fetch quest is and im saying to Bigone that he gave a very low number. Do you consider the Tears collection in Twlight Princess a fetch quest?

Big One

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
That sounds horrendous.
What's worse is that the idea itself is very thematically cool, but there's simply way too much to collect. This is how it works, without spoiling any of the story (protip: it won't)
Basically the Water Dragon requires you to collect tadpoles in the flooded Faron Woods. This is the entirety of the flooded Faron Woods section. What you're doing is composing a song list which each tadpole represents and there's like three lines of song you have to collect. You can only use dowsing above water...aka where you don't need it and a good portion of the tadpoles are going in random motions making finding them more difficult and tedious than it needs to be.
After you beat that, thankfully the story fetch quests are over. The next area,
which is a revamp of Eldin Volcano turning it into a maze-like base of operations for the bokoblins,
is actually really well made and the best
stealth
section in the entire series. It's pretty much an entirely different level.

Gregorn

Anth0ny[IMG said:
http://www.wiizelda.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_ocarina-of-time-instruction-manual.jpg[/IMG]

lol remember these things

When I saw Skyward Sword's 122 page manual I was like "whhhoaaaa, this game is HUGE!!" until I noticed that only 8 were in English. It gives the box a nice weight to it at least...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Less than 24 more hours until I'll put the disc in! I still can't believe it ;_;!

I'm trying to figure out which cables will make the game look the best... I currently have these:

JlSlm.jpg

Are they okay?

Big One

Banned
Refreshment.01 said:
Fetch quest is a fetch quest no matter what you think of it, you are giving a low number. Anyway im saving this post for when people have played the game, or if someone wants to lend me a hand here.

Also Bigone there's another fetch quest you arent adressing. But that one was some what interesting.
So why exactly are you using "fetch quest" as a criticism here again? I'm confused. "IT DOESN'T MATTER IF IT'S GOOD IT'S STILL A FETCH QUEST." that isn't an argument, or else WRPGs would be the worst genre ever.

Big One said:
water

Don't forget that you
only get dowsing halfway through.
I was so scared that this was a recurring thing.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Yoshichan said:
Less than 24 more hours until I'll put the disc in! I still can't believe it ;_;!

I'm trying to figure out which cables will make the game look the best... I currently have these:

JlSlm.jpg

Are they okay?

I'm still waiting for mine to get here. I ordered them October 31st and THEY STILL AREN'T HERE FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!

oatmeal

Banned
From the one tears section I've played. Big One is right in that it's not as shitty as TP's.

It was actually kind of cool. And terrifying.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BY2K said:
I'm still waiting for mine to get here. I ordered them October 31st and THEY STILL AREN'T HERE FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!
So this means they're a good choice for my Wii?! I haven't plugged them in yet...

BY2K

Membero Americo
oatmeal said:
From the one tears section I've played. Big One is right in that it's not as shitty as TP's.

It was actually kind of cool. And terrifying.

The way they come at you, plus the music.

Dascu

Refreshment.01 said:
Im speaking in objective terms no matter how tedious or awesome the fetch quest is and im saying to Bigone that he gave a very low number. Do you consider the Tears collection in Twlight Princess a fetch quest?
Hmm, no, I don't. I generally use the term fetch quest when you have to go around, talk to this or that NPC, etc., to "fetch" a few items. Basically when you spend more time going back and forth between different areas or locales. When it's all contained to one area or level, then I don't really consider that as a fetch quest. Or heck, like collecting special coins in a Mario game: I don't consider that a fetch quest. But when, say in an RPG, someone asks me to find A, B and C that are found in areas X, Y and Z, then that's what I'd call a fetch quest. I'm well aware that opinions on this can vary.

The Silent Realm is bullshit bullshit bullshit. You can easily outrun the guardians, so it's just another point in the game where you're running around collecting things.

AdamBot

I ordered cheap ass component cables off Amazon for $4 including shipping. They work just as well as the $30 first party cables.

Edit: forgot to mention I ordered them Sunday they were in my mailbox Wednesday.

I think the fetch-questy nature of much of the game isn't so bad, because generally new routes and areas of the places you visit get opened up over the course of the hunts.

I'm really hoping theres a way to
restore the whole desert area to its lush 'past' state

Top Bottom