• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Alrus

Dascu said:

Hi there fellow Belgian!

Tarin02543 said:
I live in belgium as well and I'm getting a fresh copy out of the stores tomorrow evening!

Well I'm not really used to pre-orders as I usually never do so, but I wanted the gold Wiimote and I didn't want to take any risks, so Amazon felt the safest. (Fnac and MediaMarkt both suck when it comes to pre-order and the only specialty store in my town is overpriced)

Anway I'll buy Mario tomorrow and that will hold me for the week end :)

bubnbob

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
All this negative talk about Fi is depressing. I'm not expecting her to be another Midna, but she isn't involved in the story at all? A simple yes or no will do. The beeping noise won't bother me, cause thats always been in Zelda games, when you're at low health.

................. No

butter_stick said:
It's not like he'd say "yeah we'll probably ditch motion controls!" before releasing Motion Controlled Zelda.
If he didn't believe he would use motion controls for Wii U Zelda or was unsure he would've worded it differently. Not 100% gung ho on motion controls.

GR: So do you think you'll continue to use motion control in the future? Will you ever go back to traditional controls?

EA: I don't think we could go back to button control, especially after creating something that's as natural to use as the interface that we have with the Wii Remote Plus in Skyward Sword. I think Nintendo will continue to have that focus on motion control and we'll see that continue to evolve. And the hardware as well, in a way that will let people control things very naturally just using their own motions.

GR: Looking forward, can you say anything about the Wii U Zelda project?

EA: What can I say…? It's a difficult question (laughs). We're just getting started on it even as we speak, so I'm just worried that if I let something slip that's off that mark…

The feedback that I've been getting from a lot of people on Skyward Sword is that they like the game very much, so of course I think probably the most important thing that we're focusing on right now is how do we take those elements that people seem to really love about Skyward Sword, and really bring that and connect that to what we do with Zelda on the Wii U while still continuing to evolve the game.

GR: Is there any particular feature of the Wii U hardware that you're excited to work with?

EA: Obviously, it's the new controller that's got the screen built into it, and in particular we're looking at how we can combine that new controller with something like motion control, and perhaps use the new controller in such a way that it becomes a new item that you're able to use to make the game feel fresh and new.
You're right that he probably wouldn't say we're not going to do motion controls in the future but I'm sure he would've said something more neutral like "We're still in the planning phase" or "we haven't determined the direction of Wii U Zelda yet".

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Aeana said:
I find this so odd. She pops up sometimes but usually it's just after a story scene or something. Or to tell you about a new dowsing target or something like that. I've never been annoyed with her popping up in the cases when she does it automatically.

I have a laundry list of complaints with the game (one of which almost made me decide to just put the game down without even bothering to finish it), but I do not get the big deal about Fi.
I'm curious what it was that almost made you give up on the game.

RPGCrazied said:
I think they sell those now at that price with no gamecube BC.
No bc? I have a few Gamecube titles that I haven't finished yet because they look like ass on my tv. I was hoping the Wii componant cables could help with that. Twilight Princess is one of them and Wind Waker is another. Their art direction is too good to play all smeared and jaggy.

If the Wii U Zelda doesn't require you to use the Wii U controller I will be very surprised. And asking people to switch between controllers would be absurd.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
butter_stick said:
If the Wii U Zelda doesn't require you to use the Wii U controller I will be very surprised. And asking people to switch between controllers would be absurd.
WiiU controller is going to have a shield attachment and you have to hold the wiimote in one hand and the wiiu one in the other like a shiled.

butter_stick said:
I could see it working for a special item that only gets used in certain sections.

However, then it would make it really difficult to stream a game to the controller. Then again the Wii U's concept and main attraction point seems riddled with problems in general anyway.

WiiU controller is going to have a shield attachment and you have to hold the wiimote in one hand and the wiiu one in the other like a shiled.
I think the would be impossible to use. I don't see how someone could hold a tablet in one hand and wiimote in the other. Not too mention there'd be no way to control movement.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
LE arrived today. Played for about 3 hours, about to enter the first dungeon. It's an incredibly slow, close to sleep inducing start with tons of exposition, but once you get introduced to the combat it starts to pick up a bit.
I didn't mind TP's slow intro all that much, but this felt way worse. I quit knowing (hoping?) I could really start playing the game next session.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Lord_Byron28 said:
I could see it working for a special item that only gets used in certain sections.

However, then it would make it really difficult to stream a game to the controller. Then again the Wii U's concept and main attraction point seems riddled with problems in general anyway.

I think the would be impossible to use. I don't see how someone could hold a tablet in one hand and wiimote in the other. Not too mention there'd be no way to control movement.
Shield attachment to the WiiU controller.

TheExodu5

Banned
Creamium said:
LE arrived today. Played for about 3 hours, about to enter the first dungeon. It's an incredibly slow, close to sleep inducing start with tons of exposition, but once you get introduced to the combat it starts to pick up a bit.
I didn't mind TP's slow intro all that much, but this felt way worse. I quit knowing (hoping?) I could really start playing the game next session.

More and more my fears are coming true.

AdamBot

ViewtifulJC said:
Note to self: create a separate save file right before the first dungeon to get through mind-numbingly boring intro on replays

Isn't there some perk to starting again on the same file? Genius idea otherwise.

Mistle

Aw what so the PAL version doesnt have a shiny cover like the US? :/ Ah well, i guess we did get a shiny OoT3D over them.

Anyway, this thread is so cynical. Nitpicking is becoming ridiculous, and it seems to be the same people complaining about the same things over and over. I'm probably going to avoid it from now on until it's time for me to post impressions myself.

TheExodu5

Banned
Glass Rebel said:
There are people here who said the intro is worse than TPs and some who said it's better. How is this "fears coming true"?

The people claiming it's better seem to generally be "charmed" by the story. I don't expect I will be (but hey, who knows). A 3 hour buildup to the first dungeon, along with prerequisite fetch quests (dousing) is not what I was hoping for. If I were to start playing this on a weeknight, my first day of playing would essentially be nill. That doesn't leave a good impression.

Truth101

Banned
oatmeal said:
That's true in most cases.

But a lot of the complaints were voicing are the same ones we've been voicing for years. They give us the option to remove the HUD, why not give us an option to speed up dialogue boxes or turn off hints?

It's not a game-changing thing, it's just another option for the user. The game is built towards a new Zelda player, and for those of us who have been with the series for so long, it's really frustrating.

Oh, I thought talking about it for the last two pages was sufficient. And since I quote your saying "Every game can", there was context provided to what we' were talking about. Remember, you were in the conversation. Perhaps re-reading where the conversation was heading might help?

Anyways...problems that existed since OoT (the game that came out 13 years ago, just so we're clear):

- Annoying sidekick that forces their presence (Navi, so we're clear)
- NPC's with unskippable dialogue (Kaepora)
- Too much handholding
- etc.

Let me know if you need clarification. Thx.

Well thankfully I wasn't stuck in a conversation with you those two pages.

Of course, every game is going to have something that one person considers a flaw and others don't. Even 10/10 games. So, I'll say it again changing those few things to appease a few people is simply counter-productive, as in they wouldn't be viewed as flaws to the majority.

See, myself. I don't consider Navi, Midna, and I'm sure it will be the same with Fi to be an annoying side-kick that forces itself on me. I'm sure there are others who think the same thing.

Non-skippable dialogue is really not that bad of a thing, though I won't talk about it in relation to Skyward Sword as I haven't had the opportunity to play the game yet. In essence though, I've hated being able to skip through dialogue, especially on first run-throughs of a game. Because sometimes a finger will slip and you will miss something important.

This more than any Zelda before it I can actually understand why there would be hand-holdind, as the mechanics are so different than any game out there.

Off-topic:

I've always found it amusing how a negative vocal minority will always take every opportunity to complain about something, but then when a large group of people with different views appear they disappear.

We shall see if it holds through in here when the game releases in most of the world.

Xane

Glass Rebel said:
There are people here who said the intro is worse than TPs and some who said it's better. How is this "fears coming true"?
Personally, I LOVE Skyward Sword's Intro. Such a good build-up to the game's mechanics and story.

leroidys

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

I just checked my amazon preorder (I'm in the U.S.) and it says that the estimated delivery is November 30th - december 3rd or some shit. I'm pretty sure I preordered this within hours of it going up.

Does anyone with a preorder at amazon how earlier delivery estimations?

TheExodu5

Banned
Truth101 said:
I've always found it amusing how a negative vocal minority will always take every opportunity to complain about something, but then when a large group of people with different views appear they disappear.

I have no idea what you mean by this. I'm going to voice my opinion regardless of what the "consensus" is.

oatmeal

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
The people claiming it's better seem to generally be "charmed" by the story. I don't expect I will be (but hey, who knows). A 3 hour buildup to the first dungeon, along with prerequisite fetch quests (dousing) is not what I was hoping for. If I were to start playing this on a weeknight, my first day of playing would essentially be nill. That doesn't leave a good impression.

It's still better than TP's, though.

TP had some fun stuff mixed in, and I really enjoyed Ordon (for a bit)...this at least mixes it up with a few mini-quests and the race.

But it's long and there's just so much talking...and in Zelda, talk is sloooooow.

TheExodu5

Banned
oatmeal said:
It's still better than TP's, though.

TP had some fun stuff mixed in, and I really enjoyed Ordon (for a bit)...this at least mixes it up with a few mini-quests and the race.

But it's long and there's just so much talking...and in Zelda, talk is sloooooow.

I realize I'm in for a lot of talking, but here's the question: is the dialogue actually interesting? Or are people just calling it charming because it's "cute"? I'm wondering if I should expect My Little Pony or Dora The Explorer here.

I can handle dialogue if it's interesting. As hinted above, I actually enjoyed what I watched of MLP. I love Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story...I could listen to Fawful all day. Twilight Princess? I didn't mind Midna, but the rest of it was cringeworthy.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I've seen comments on here saying that it's well-written. I have no reason to think it's dumbed down for kids, Nintendo's usually pretty good on that front when they choose to be.

Aeana

TheExodu5 said:
More and more my fears are coming true.
Try it for yourself. GAF threads are full of extreme personalities with extreme/binary opinions. Both the greatness and badness of things are exaggerated. I tried my best to be fairly neutral in my evaluation when explaining it to you, but it really is something you have to see for yourself.

Honestly, I think listening to what anybody says right around release is a bad idea because people in general overreact to everything. If they're having a good time: "omg best game I've ever played", if they're kinda iffy on some stuff: "omg this shit is terrible." It'll sort out in a couple of weeks as people get over their initial emotions and become more able to judge the game rationally.

Anth0ny

TheExodu5 said:
I realize I'm in for a lot of talking, but here's the question: is the dialogue actually interesting? Or are people just calling it charming because it's "cute"? I'm wondering if I should expect My Little Pony or Dora The Explorer here.

Well, just look at the art. It's that.

Princess_Zelda_Skyward_Sword.png

If you think lots of that is cute, you'll think it's charming. Dialogue isn't particularly interesting.

but seriously, it doesn't drag like Twilight Princess's opening. It's longer than it needs to be, but it's an improvement nonetheless.

Aeana said:
Try it for yourself. GAF threads are full of extreme personalities with extreme/binary opinions. Both the greatness and badness of things are exaggerated. I tried my best to be fairly neutral in my evaluation when explaining it to you, but it really is something you have to see for yourself.

Honestly, I think listening to what anybody says right around release is a bad idea because people in general overreact to everything. If they're having a good time: "omg best game I've ever played", if they're kinda iffy on some stuff: "omg this shit is terrible." It'll sort out in a couple of weeks as people get over their initial emotions and become more able to judge the game rationally.

This is so true.

TheExodu5

Banned
Aeana said:

Oh, I will...picking it up Sunday for sure. I realize I'm being overly negative here, and I likely am overreacting, but there is one good thing about that: maybe I'll be surprised with my expectations being surpassed. :)

I went into TP with the wrong mindset (tried to play it a few months back), and just got completely worn out by the intro. Perception is everything.

TheExodu5 said:
Don't expect The Witcher 2 dialog here, its typical Zelda stuff similar to Twilight Princess quaility. If that's within your tastes you are safe then :)

oatmeal

Banned
BorkBork said:
I've seen comments on here saying that it's well-written. I have no reason to think it's dumbed down for kids, Nintendo's usually pretty good on that front when they choose to be.

Well written might be giving it too much credit, it's pretty standard Zelda stuff. It's not bad by any means, but it's not incredible writing.

The dumbed down for kids comments are referring to the insane handholding through quite a few major moments.

TheExodu5 said:

I can handle dialogue if it's interesting. As hinted above, I actually enjoyed what I watched of MLP. I love Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story...I could listen to Fawful all day. Twilight Princess? I didn't mind Midna, but the rest of it was cringeworthy.

I have no problem with what is being said, it's the rate it's being said at. It is charming through the little tics the characters have, the pleasing graphics and the music. It's not baby cute like Dora or Pony.

It's not Fawful level, though.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
FUCK YEAH! Played the game around 5 hours, had to give it back to my pal but at least the save is there for when it launches.

Impressions!

+Graphics look damn good. Awesome animations and the character models are top notch. The watercolor filter works well in most instances. 480p here.
+Music. Fuck yeah. Even the MIDI ones sound good.
+Difficulty: Just where it should be in a combat sense.
+Shield usage works nicely to be honest. Makes you parry and makes combat even more active.
+Dashing adds a nice element to the game though it feels restrictive and needless sometimes.

+-Motion control works nice, though many times you need to center, and the stabbing and upward motions are rarely registered. Flying is nice, though remember you need to wiggle up the remote so the bird goes up. I was frustrated for a few minutes because I didn't remember this. Controls are a mixed bag, they work but many times will be frustrating

-Dowsing is a stupid worthless idea and serves as filler. So... stupid. Adds absolutely nothing to the game. First dungeon is stupidly easy and short as well. I managed to get to the beginning of the second one which held some potential but will see. Hopefully I can get the game for a few more hours tomorrow or Saturday.

-Awful beginning. Slow as hell. Better than TP but nowhere near close to WW, MM or OoT. Its just... slow. Unnecessarily slow. I mean, the cutscenes are nice but the stupid tutorials get too overbearing.

I must say I am a bit disappointed. Its not bad in any sense but.. well I expected more. Of course I yet have to play a LOT more so yeah. Hopefully I can get some hands on time again soon before the release.

oatmeal

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Oh, I will...picking it up Sunday for sure. I realize I'm being overly negative here, and I likely am overreacting, but there is one good thing about that: maybe I'll be surprised with my expectations being surpassed. :)

I went into TP with the wrong mindset (tried to play it a few months back), and just got completely worn out by the intro. Perception is everything.

It's probably smart to search out the negative from people, because it adjusts your expectations properly.

If you read IGN's review and say "I must have this game", I think you're going to be pretty disappointed.

TSA had a great review (or bullet-point impressions) that hit the pros and the cons, and many of them were true, and some of them weren't cons for me. And vice versa.

But knowing that there are issues for people will keep you honest.

Personally, I'm only really posting about the negative, and the stuff I'm posting might seem nitpicky, but that's the stuff that's sticking out. It has its issues, but it's still classic Zelda.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sucks to hear the opening is still a bit of a drag. Less than TP is an improvement I guess...still, weird as hell to think of the short and sweet tutorial section of OoT in comparison. That game taught all those mechanics to everyone just learning to traverse in a 3D environment as a whole.

AdamBot

The slow intro is going to come down to a matter of preference. If there's no introduction to the world of the main characters then we don't care what happens to them or their world in the rest of the game. I know some people want a flash-bang opening without any real introduction to set the stage, e.g. FFVII, but if that's the case I don't really care what's going on. A couple hours into FFVII you get to know your characters and you find out why the bomb run from the very beginning of the game is so important, but the first time I played it I didn't know what the hell was going on or WHY I was planting a bomb, it lost its impact or meaning until later on.

Compare that to say Lord of the Rings, which has an almost painfully slow lead-in segment where we learn about the main characters and the world they love. If LOTR opened up with fighting the cave troll in Moria we would almost not care if these people die or not.

Aeana

The most disappointing thing about Skyward Sword is that Nintendo still hasn't managed to recapture the amazingness of the battleship NPC in Wind Waker. I hope for it every time and they never deliver.

SPLOOOOOOSHHHHHH

Relix said:
-Dowsing is a stupid worthless idea and serves as filler. So... stupid. Adds absolutely nothing to the game. First dungeon is stupidly easy and short as well. I managed to get to the beginning of the second one which held some potential but will see. Hopefully I can get the game for a few more hours tomorrow or Saturday.
I beg to differ Relix, dowsing is not stupid at all. Dowsing is an aid system that it's well executed, is opt to the player to use it or not. In fact some fetch quest can be less bother some with it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Aeana said:
The most disappointing thing about Skyward Sword is that Nintendo still hasn't managed to recapture the amazingness of the battleship NPC in Wind Waker. I hope for it every time and they never deliver.

SPLOOOOOOSHHHHHH

KA-BOOOOOOM!

Aeana

Relix said:
Once more... fuck dowsing and the fetch quests.
The value of dowsing kinda becomes more apparent later. However, I never actually used it much during the story parts where you have to use it. Just went off and found everything myself.

Gregorn

"Hi, would you do this fetch quest please? Find these 3 things"

"Link, my sources tell me we have to find these 3 things, to find these things we will use he dousing method."
"I shall update the map with the location of this guy"
"Link, we have a new dousing thing"
"Would you like a tutorial on how to use the dosing method?"

"NO"

*find fetch quest thing*

"Link, this is the first thing that we need to find."
"I have updated the map with the location of this guy"
"Use the dousing method to find the other guys"

*find fetch quest thing*

"Link, this is the second thing that we need to find."

Please, please, please tell me Fi isn't like this the entire game. So far the 7.5 review is looking generous.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Refreshment.01 said:
I beg to differ, dowsing is not stupid at all. Dowsing is an aid system that it's well executed, is opt to the player to use it or not.

You are basically shoved it down your throat. Its not only about the dowsing though, its... the... stupid... needless... absolutely useless... fetch quests.

Spiffy_1st said:
"Hi, would you do this fetch quest please? Find these 3 things"

"Link, my sources tell me we have to find these 3 things, to find these things we will use he dousing method."
"I shall update the map with the location of this guy"
"Link, we have a new dousing thing"
"Would you like a tutorial on how to use the dosing method?"

"NO"

*find fetch quest thing*

"Link, this is the first thing that we need to find."

*find fetch quest thing*

"Link, this is the second thing that we need to find."

Please, please, please tell me Fi isn't like this the entire game. So far the 7.5 review is looking generous.

Damn you are close :p!

Aeana said:

SPLOOOOOOSHHHHHH
His name is Salvatore and it's amazing how thorough they were, even having him holding the sleeping portrait at night on the island minigame, to the mildly disturbing Tetra impression.

That and I just realized Wind Waker had a lot of weird tiny little voice samples of actual words.

Big One

Banned
I'm not sure where the long intro is coming from people. Unless you literally drag in the game itself, the intro only takes about a solid 20 minutes. That's shorter than any of the 3D Zeldas except for Ocarina of Time. When people replay the game they're going to realize how short the intro actually is.

The game is also the best paced Zelda since Ocarina of Time, but the later is still better paced overall.

Top Bottom