• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Tadale

Metroid Killer said:
Isn't gaf going down in about 10 hours and then up again in about 24 hours. It still wont be sunday by then :)

I think I remember the last time gag was down it stayed down for quite a lot longer than expected.

Kjellson

Two things:

The opening isn't even close to as bad I heard it was. Sure, there are loads of dialogues and stuff, but TP's opening was way worse. IMO.

The Kikwi hunt was awesome, because it let you explore the area. (Faron Woods seems way more livelier than any 3D Zelda non-dungeon and non-town place) I didn't use dowsing however, so maybe that's why I liked it.

Cdammen

Got my copy at lunch today. The clerk just gave me a thumbs up in silence and we laughed like giddy children.

Just went off work and am now heading home to play it. I clocked 12h of Skyrim last weekend and now I got this. If I only had the time during the week... oh well, I'll do my gaming tonight :)

RPGCrazied said:
Be careful about talking about the end of the game, or boss. I didn't really want to know its a him, cause now I kinda have a clue who it is.

I found the posts to be accurately tagged with spoilers, but perhaps just in case whenever talking about end-game stuff add extra warnings or something, just in case.

Tarin02543

Yeah just got my copy as well! (launch day in belgium here)

As expected all the kids were around the mw3 demo stations, the big pile of gold zelda cases being hard neglected.

Oh well, the joke is on them!

bubnbob

Banned
As far as final bosses go, I found SS to be the 2nd worst out of the 3D Zeldae (losing out to Majora). The whole setup and fight were just a huge wet fart.

Only comment I will make on the subject.

jarosh

^ radioheadrule, i'm sorry, but you suck at spoiler tagging. just tag everything. is it so hard? what's the point of having stray words here and there untagged? you just spoiled some details about the fight. can you not see that?

let's see...

(i'm not using actual spoilers in my examples)

good spoiler tagging:

end fight advice:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

shitty spoiler tagging:

end fight advice:

when you get into the
ROOM
, first equip your
BLAH
. as soon as
BAD GUY
attacks, hit him with the
AMAZING ITEM YOU JUST ACQUIRED
. for the first form you should just
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
. second form: watch out, he's gonna turn into a
GIGANTIC BEAST
. but don't worry, some
MAGICAL FAIRY DUDE
will appear and help you. after you defeat him you'll finally get the last part of the
QUADFORCE

RPGCrazied

Ok, I want to know. Yes or No will do.

Besides Ghirahim or whatever his name is, and the black dragon kinda thing, is that the only villains/bad guys in this game?

McNum

Still haven't started the actual game, but wow. That soundtrack CD. It's pretty good. Great music to work to, too. The Wind Waker medley is great, but even though it is, it doesn't stand out much, because the rest of the songs are pretty good, too. Maybe except the Fairy Fountain one, but on the other hand: Dueling harps. That's funny.

It's also a little sneaky. It's rare to have music CDs go for a jump-scare. But the Twilight Princess Medley does.

bubnbob said:
As far as final bosses go, I found SS to be the 2nd worst out of the 3D Zeldae (losing out to Majora). The whole setup and fight were just a huge wet fart.

Wait.

*squints*

Alright, carry on then.

bubnbob said:
First time fighting Majora: WTF is this shit? It's over already? wtf!?
Second time fighting Majora 3 years later: This shit is hilariously cool, what a cool character design. Oh I better hold back so I don't kill him already.

Rich!

Got my copy the other day....up to the third trial now (people who have got there will know where I am). 24 hours in.

My biggest gripes:

1. The music. I've struggled to remember a single theme, apart from skyloft's. It's definitely a low for the series IMO, which is dissapointing considering the orchestral elements. Desert themes were rad though. But either way, compare it to Wind Waker, or Majora's Mask, or Xenoblade - the music in those games were fucking godly and absolutely mindblowing in places. In Skyward Sword it's....just there.

2. I'm absolutely burnt out on dungeons and puzzles. It's fucking relentless - especially considering the overworld is now essentially a dungeon in of itself. I'd love to just go and explore, but...there's no scope for that.

That's it really. Controls are great aside from a few frustrating issues (had trouble with bomb rolling), and M+ aiming is actually better for me than IR (I have cats, and trouble with sunlight affecting the remote's IR sensor). Was nice to have no interference at all for once!!

So far though, my GOTY is still Xenoblade. Sorry Zelda.

Anyway. So far, I'd rate the game a 7.5 (I'm being serious, I agree with gamespot). Wind Waker is easily an 8 for myself along with Twilight Princess, Zelda 1 and 2 and the Oracle games. 9 would be Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening. 10 is reserved for the god tier - Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time.

There's just something missing from Skyward Sword that made those 9 and 10/10 games utter masterpieces.

bubnbob said:
As far as final bosses go, I found SS to be the worst out of the 3D Zeldae. The whole setup and fight were just a huge wet fart.

I like Wind Waker's best for Ganondorf's monologue, the midna cutscenes and horseback stuff prior to the sword fight in Twilight Princess was amazing -- but Skyward Sword has a pretty damn good / tough set of boss battles at the end, and some very very well written dialogue from the chief antagonist. The music is awesome too. The one thing that didn't work for me about the ending was that
I didn't care too much about Fi. I liked the Old Woman twist, even though I saw it coming.
-- I would have liked to have seen more characters in the epilogue. Link to the Past's epilogue is still my favourite, you get to see what happened to everyone in the game... Ocarina's Return of the Jedi type celebrations were good too.

Dialogue excerpts to jog your memory:

"Hmm... So you and that other human
would stand before obliteration to aid
the goddess, would you?

How curious... The humans I've known
were weak things. Hardly more than
insects, shivering under rocks and
ready to flee at a mere glimpse of me.

When last I walked this world, they did
little more than scream and cling to
their goddess, mewling and praying...
Counting on her to protect them.
How amusing to think those cowards
begot someone like you.

You grow more fascinating by the
second, human. I never imagined I'd
meet one of your kind who wished to
stand against me in battle. "

and

"If you fear for your life, do not follow
me. You can spend what little time
your world has left cowering and
crying, as befits your kind.
But if you truly desire to raise your
blade against the world I would build,
come for me.

I've waited eons to return. I can spare a
few more moments to let you decide."

and

"Ah, so you've decided to meet your end
in battle after all. It pleases me greatly
to see such misplaced valor, human.

Take a moment to appreciate your
surroundings, for where we stand
shall serve as your tomb for eternity.

The hate for the gods that has boiled
in my veins...
You will taste all of it in the bite of
my blade.

The only question left is how long you
will manage to remain standing before
I take your life. Try to keep it
interesting for me, would you?

And when you do fall, know that your
world and everything in it is mine to
dominate... Mine to subjugate...
Mine to rule!

When I finish with you, you can take
solace in knowing your friends and kin
will soon follow, as I wipe all who
oppose me from the face of this world!

...It won't be long now. At last, the
almighty power I've sought for
millennia...

I will take the Triforce
and the world shall be under my foot
for eternity!"

Red

Just got charged by Gamestop for my purchase. Got one day shipping, so hopefully that means I get it tomorrow. This is the only weekend I have off for a while, so it would be perfect.

Red

Dascu said:
Seems like there's not a single thing about this game that hasn't polarized opinions.
Yes. I'm thankful I love the paint filter and art style and controls. Falling on the "pro" side of every argument.

Possibly stupid question:

I just got the beetle but I can't seem to put it or my slingshot on quick select for the D-Pad, one or the other needs to go on B. Am I doing something wrong or can you not have them there for quick select? I've held down B to go into the menu and then hit a direction on my d-pad to try and assign them, but nadda.

bubnbob

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Possibly stupid question:

I just got the beetle but I can't seem to put it or my slingshot on quick select for the D-Pad, one or the other needs to go on B. Am I doing something wrong or can you not have them there for quick select? I've held down B to go into the menu and then hit a direction on my d-pad to try and assign them, but nadda.

Only one item on B, you have to swap them in and out. D-Pad is only used for other things.

pringles

Kjellson said:
Two things:

The opening isn't even close to as bad I heard it was. Sure, there are loads of dialogues and stuff, but TP's opening was way worse. IMO.
The opening is GREAT. I'm only up to the bird race, had to stop for a while, but the complaints are way overblown. I've loved every second. Me and my sister were both laughing at some of the dialogue, marvelling at the great design and music, and being awestruck by the incredible sword and bird controls.

This is the first hour, and it has her saying "I need to buy a wii!".

Really positively surprised, was expecting a lot more slow, long and bad dialogue and tutorial stuff.

krYlon

On a CRT this is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful games I have ever played.
It's like playing in a Monet painting. Never seen anything like it.

Such a shame that HDs don't bring the best out of it.

radioheadrule83 said:
If you've already beaten
him
then ignore, but if you need any tips:

First section:
dodge his strikes, hit him quickly and back off more or less straight away. Never get too far away from him or he will charge you and its almost impossible to dodge.
Second section:
when lightning is occuring, you can raise the Master Sword to have it struck by lightning and then do a powerful sword beam that will stun him. He can do the same though, be ready to hop out of the way of his beams. You have to be really quick finishing him when he eventually goes down, otherwise he gets back up to give you some more.

I had to go into the battle with three heart potions. I'm really annoyed with myself that I saved after all the cool
final battles with Ghirahim
- I'd really like to play those again and I'm not sure if I can do so through the
boss rush mode in Lanayru Desert

Quick question for those who have completed the game actually...
if you save the game after defeating Demise, does it make your save unplayable and start Hero mode automatically - or can you go back in and 100% the collectables etc?
... I wasn't sure so I didn't save.

I always tried the first section by
defending with my shield but I get beaten to a pulp. The punch is just an asshole move. I thought about raising my sword for a lightning bolt but he got me before I could do that. Contemplated completing boss rush mode to get the Hylian shield but I'll try your approach first. The part with the 3 potions isn't very encouraging though. :lol

bubnbob said:
Only one item on B, you have to swap them in and out. D-Pad is only used for other things.
Ah, okay.

Seems like a... questionable design choice at this point. I'll wait to see what the D-Pad is used for before I fully judge.

Rich!

Just ripped the entire soundtrack to my PC from the game, gave it a listen through.

I'm still dissapointed. Nothing on the same tier as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7fqllhtdHI

or THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xweRl4LZlmo

meh, ah well.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Ah, okay.

Seems like a... questionable design choice at this point. I'll wait to see what the D-Pad is used for before I fully judge.

D-Pad is only used for two things = Fi and
the harp

Left and Right on the D Pad are completely unused.

Anth0ny

richisawesome said:
Just ripped the entire soundtrack to my PC from the game, gave it a listen through.

I'm still dissapointed. Nothing on the same tier as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7fqllhtdHI

or THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xweRl4LZlmo

meh, ah well.

From what I've heard so far, it's definitely giving me that Galaxy vibe. The music is amazing. However, nothing stands out as particularly memorable. In Mario 64, we had Dire Dire Docks, Peach's Castle, Bomb Bomb Battlefield, Road to Bowser... these songs stay with you. They're catchy.

In Galaxy, off the top of my head, I could hum Gusty Garden Galaxy. And that's about all I remember. In Skyward Sword, we have Ballad of the Goddess, and, um... yeah.

Lunar15

I hear people who are confused by the motion plus aiming. I remember being confused by it at first in Wii Sports Resort, but once I realized that you are not aiming at the screen, you are using actual motion, it made sense. People think that you constantly need to "recalibrate", but in reality, the motion plus views the center as wherever it is pointing when you first aim. The key is to calibrate once you are pointed at the center you want (whether it be the screen, another wall, or whatever you want) and then you aim from there. It's actually a far more accurate system than IR ever was, in my opinion. I definitely think that Gamespot's review was partially due to this misunderstanding of the system, given by a lot of the reviewer's comments about the "IR being unresponsive". There's no IR!

However, the fact that it IS initially confusing is still a flaw. Nintendo clearly needed to do more to address it, given by the amount of people confused and bothered by it.

richisawesome said:

The sky theme and end credits are probably the best tracks. The sky theme reminds me of stargate for some reason. There were a couple of cutscenes towards the back end of the game that had amazing dramatic music, but I'd generally agree that the soundtrack isn't the Super Mario Galaxy levels of awesome I was expecting - it needed more themes to jump at you and linger in the memory. Ghirahim's theme is good. Thankfully the symphony CD sorta makes up for any shortcomings by being god-tier levels of brilliant. I think the 25th anniversary concert had kinda suckered me into thinking there might have been more musical tributes in the game than there were too. It's certainly a very good sounding game in spite of our complaints though.

Red

Lunar15 said:
I hear people who are confused by the motion plus aiming. I remember being confused by it at first in Wii Sports Resort, but once I realized that you are not aiming at the screen, you are using actual motion, it made sense. People think that you constantly need to "recalibrate", but in reality, the motion plus views the center as wherever it is pointing when you first aim. The key is to calibrate once you are pointed at the center you want (whether it be the screen, another wall, or whatever you want) and then you aim from there. It's actually a far more accurate system than IR ever was, in my opinion.
Yes.

I try hard to see how ir could be considered superior, but full motion based aiming always wins for me.

Anth0ny

Crunched said:
Yes.

I try hard to see how ir could be considered superior, but full motion based aiming always wins for me.

Motion + aiming can get decalibrated. Hence, the option to calibrate with down on the d-pad.

No such problem with the sensor bar. I never complained about it in Twilight Princess. Can't say the same about Skyward Sword. It's not horrible, but IR is far superior.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, thought i could change the order but i can't :(

smh at the only shipping options when i placed it being two day delivery, thats the annoying thing with sunday releases :(

not gonna get it til wednesday now and i have amazon prime

Lunar15

Anth0ny said:
Motion + aiming can get decalibrated. Hence, the option to calibrate with down on the d-pad.

No such problem with the sensor bar. I never complained about it in Twilight Princess. Can't say the same about Skyward Sword. It's not horrible, but IR is far superior.

I always had problems with the cursor lag with IR. Motion Plus doesn't have this problem. I dunno, once I figured out to calibrate it from the start, rather than having to-recalibrate it later, it worked faster and was more accurate for me than IR.

Also, I get some type of weird nerd-satisfaction from being able to hold it like a bow and arrow and use it like such. If there's problems with re-calibration, I'll take that extra step in order to have the experience.

Rich!

radioheadrule83 said:
The sky theme and end credits are probably the best tracks. The sky theme reminds me of stargate for some reason. There were a couple of cutscenes towards the back end of the game that had amazing dramatic music, but I'd generally agree that the soundtrack isn't the Super Mario Galaxy levels of awesome I was expecting - it needed more themes to jump at you and linger in the memory. Ghirahim's theme is good. Thankfully the symphony CD sorta makes up for any shortcomings by being god-tier levels of brilliant. I think the 25th anniversary concert had kinda suckered me into thinking there might have been more musical tributes in the game than there were too. It's certainly a very good sounding game in spite of our complaints though.

It's a servicable soundtrack - it's issue is that it's incredibly atmospheric, and lacking in real melodies that stick out in your mind the way that ones in Ocarina of Time, Link's Awakening, Link to the Past, Wind Waker, Majora's Mask and even Twilight Princess did.

So yeah thats basically the entire series, isnt it.

Anth0ny said:

Not really when you have cats and a girlfriend who insist on getting in the way of the sensor bar, and a window next to the TV which lets interfering UV light in.

With Skyward Sword's aiming, I've had no issues AT ALL. It's so fucking awesome.

Played the game for about an hour(just received the
Goddess Sword
) & I am enjoying it so far, Skyloft looks really nice on my TV & although the music hasn't been mind-blowing it is well done so far.

Oh yeah and Gerudo Valley on the soundtrack CD is the best thing I've ever heard.

Only heard that once, but I think I prefer the Hyrule Symphony version.

krYlon said:
On a CRT this is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful games I have ever played.
It's like playing in a Monet painting. Never seen anything like it.

Such a shame that HDs don't bring the best out of it.

Yeah, with a nice Trinitron gaming on Wii is pretty blissful, CRT's hurt my eyes however, plus no one has them anymore. It is the main reason I shake my head at the Wii so much.

No one has CRT's anymore Nintendo.... shakes head*

richisawesome said:
D-Pad is only used for two things = Fi and
the harp

Left and Right on the D Pad are completely unused.
Why would they do that? Quick select is a staple of the series and only makes changing items easier.

Step backwards. Huge one.

creid

richisawesome said:
Not really when you have cats and a girlfriend who insist on getting in the way of the sensor bar, and a window next to the TV which lets interfering UV light in.

With Skyward Sword's aiming, I've had no issues AT ALL. It's so fucking awesome.
So your window isn't causing unwanted recalibrations? I think this is counter to what I just read last page.

vehn

RPGCrazied said:
Ok, I want to know. Yes or No will do.

Besides Ghirahim or whatever his name is, and the black dragon kinda thing, is that the only villains/bad guys in this game?

those are main ones

Foliorum Viridum said:
Why would they do that? Quick select is a staple of the series and only makes changing items easier.

Step backwards. Huge one.
Agreed. And the item on up is such a waste. You'll rarely need it as much as almost any other item.

The lack of IR aiming is a step backwards too. If you teach yourself to ready your Wiimote in your own ideal center point before bringing up a menu or first person mode it works, but after however many years of instinctively pulling towards the center of the TV to aim its just a hassle. I can believe people when they say they had issues with IR aiming, so I'm not saying remove M+ aiming. Just make it an option.

Apart from the sword controls I just wish it used Twilight Proncess' Wii controls.

Top Bottom