• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Shiggy

RPGCrazied said:
Most manuals this gen have been a joke. I laugh at the 2 page B&W ones. I'm like, whats the point?

I'm just surprised to see that Nintendo is following that trend.

The audio CD is absolutely gorgeous though. I wonder how the game itself will fare when I'll finally get access to my Wii again ;)

Foliorum Viridum said:
Why would they do that? Quick select is a staple of the series and only makes changing items easier.

Step backwards. Huge one.

Changing items is quicker than ever. If you know what slots your items are in, you can just hold B, drag briefly and let go - wham - item changed. Its can be like changing visors in Metroid Prime Trilogy, really quick and intuitive. When you're first finding your feet, you'll find yourself carefully picking from the item wheel, but later on you'll barely let the item wheel appear on screen.

Ragus

Banned
I'm 2:47 into the game, and wow - so far it is amazing.

Beginning isn't as slow as some people had implied. I mean, it's much better than the one in Twilight Princess.

Gotta go - the first dungeon won't complete itself.

butter_stick said:
Agreed. And the item on up is such a waste. You'll rarely need it as much as almost any other item.

The lack of IR aiming is a step backwards too. If you teach yourself to ready your Wiimote in your own ideal center point before bringing up a menu or first person mode it works, but after however many years of instinctively pulling towards the center of the TV to aim its just a hassle. I can believe people when they say they had issues with IR aiming, so I'm not saying remove M+ aiming. Just make it an option.

It is better for people who don't sit head on to their TVs.

Xane

Glass Rebel said:
Alright. The final boss is a dick. Gotta be the hardest boss in any Zelda ever.
Hm that's strange, I killed him first try without getting hit much.
Link's backflip is so OP, too many invulnerability frames!

Xane

Oh, and if anyone's interested, here's the full Item Upgrade List I'm working on, now with all potions.
It's only missing the Rupee costs of the Bow Upgrades, I just forgot them.. if anyone knows...

radioheadrule83 said:
Changing items is quicker than ever. If you know what slots your items are in, you can just hold B, drag briefly and let go - wham - item changed. Its can be like changing visors in Metroid Prime Trilogy, really quick and intuitive. When you're first finding your feet, you'll find yourself carefully picking from the item wheel, but later on you'll barely let the item wheel appear on screen.
Perhaps, but still, the buttons are there unused. Seems silly.

I feel like after the first boss I've got better at the fighting now. Definitely made you realise where your flaws were. I'm not loving the motion controls for balancing on ropes etc though - just feels more like a hassle than immersive.

I do think this is the radically different Zelda we've been wanting for ages, even if you ignore the controls, however. Big props to Nintendo for delivering that.

radioheadrule83 said:
There's plenty of times where I've brought the menu up accidentally, or been off center and so accidentally equipped an item I don't want to. It happens less as you get used to how the game expects you to use the controller, but it's still something that has been a frequent annoyance through my 15 or so hours.

My ideal situation would be to have the 3 D-Pad buttons (harp shouldn't be fixed) act in exactly the same way the B button does now for equipping items to them. Then a tap of the d pad sends the item robB, and B uses it. The first time you have an item assigned to the d-pad, auto switch to it like happens now.

WAAH, damn game. Why doesn't it have a proper 4:3 mode. Nearly every Wii game does have one. Playing with half a screen sucks hard. Had to stop instantly for today. I hope this feeling settles :(

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Alright guys, i really need to know, so just put it in spoilers.

I know Ganondorf isn't in the game(unless Nintendo lied), but is his theme at least somewhere in the game? Just need a Yes or No. If yes, dont tell me details! After hearing orchestrated versions of his battle theme in WW and TP, i really wanted to hear his theme ingame. :( I don't care if his theme only play because someone talk about evil wanting the Triforce of Power, i just want to know.

Xane

Bisnic said:
Alright guys, i really need to know, so just put it in spoilers.

I know Ganondorf isn't in the game(unless Nintendo lied), but is his theme at least somewhere in the game? Just need a Yes or No. If yes, dont tell me details! After hearing orchestrated versions of his battle theme in WW and TP, i really wanted to hear his theme ingame. :( I don't care if his theme only play because someone talk about evil wanting the Triforce of Power, i just want to know.
- - - Sadly, no. :< ---- PADDING ------ OMG MORE PADDING! ----

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Xane said:
- - - Sadly, no. :< ---- PADDING ------ OMG MORE PADDING! ----

Damn Nintendo assholes, they decided to make their first Zelda without Ganondorf since MM and it had to be the first Zelda with orchestrated soundtrack.

Great, another 5 years to wait now.

radioheadrule83 said:
This discussion has been brought up already. My point of view is that Nintendo could-ve used the Dpad ledt and right and the gyro selection. This would-ve made item selection even more optimal because it reduces the amount of times you visit the weapon wheel.

Rich!

At the penultimate dungeon

some awesome puzzles here. Pity that Girahim has done FUCK ALL. Gahh, give me a reason to hate you, bitch.

there gotta be some plot twists coming up, seriously. so far, it's been Link on his own, solving puzzles and shit - but no bad guy I want to kill. And I'm right at the end. the fuck?

Downhome

Where could I order the LE bundle now? It was on Walmart.com and Target.com a week or so ago but now it is gone. I just called GameStop and they stopped taking orders on it two days ago.

Anth0ny

richisawesome said:
At the penultimate dungeon

some awesome puzzles here. Pity that Girahim has done FUCK ALL. Gahh, give me a reason to hate you, bitch.

there gotta be some plot twists coming up, seriously. so far, it's been Link on his own, solving puzzles and shit.

Yeah, Ghirahim has been disappointing.

But Ryusei Nakao voicing him already makes him better than Zant.

weeaboo

*finished
6th
dungeon*

oh god oh god

OH GOD Zelda, She's so cute and adorable why is she doing that this is so fucking sad my heart is breaking WHY ;__________;

butter_stick said:
There's plenty of times where I've brought the menu up accidentally, or been off center and so accidentally equipped an item I don't want to. It happens less as you get used to how the game expects you to use the controller, but it's still something that has been a frequent annoyance through my 15 or so hours.

My ideal situation would be to have the 3 D-Pad buttons (harp shouldn't be fixed) act in exactly the same way the B button does now for equipping items to them. Then a tap of the d pad sends the item robB, and B uses it. The first time you have an item assigned to the d-pad, auto switch to it like happens now.
There-s no need to change anything. Here's how it can work.

-First to asign a favorite item to the Dpad. Press and hold "B" like always, highlight the item and press the desired Dpad direction. The item is now asigned to the Dpad.

-Press Dpad button to equip item and hit "A" to use like usual.

This way you have 3 items always equiped and save some time by not switching as much. Plus it could be optional. If the player wanted it could play the hole game with just "B"

Rich!

Anth0ny said:
Yeah, Ghirahim has been disappointing.

But Ryusei Nakao voicing him already makes him better than Zant.

Again, referencing Xenoblade (goty for me, seriously), but yeah:

In Xenoblade, there was already one baddie who I HATED within the first 10 minutes (people who have played it will know what happens - it's fucking shocking), and really gave me motivation to finish the quest just to kill him - little did I know, he was only the start.

Why doesn't that happen in Skyward Sword??? It's not just Xenoblade - I had the same feeling throughout Majora's Mask. The problem is, there's absolutely no sense of threat in Skyward Sword. Zelda is off doing her own thing, and up until dungeon 6, shes in no danger whatsover. You're just carrying on venturing through these trials because your sword (fi) tells you to. What the fuck?

As a player, I'm just not engrossed in the story. It's barely there.

AdamBot

Downhome said:
Where could I order the LE bundle now? It was on Walmart.com and Target.com a week or so ago but now it is gone. I just called GameStop and they stopped taking orders on it two days ago.

Check GameStop as soon as they open. Doubtful that they would only get just enough for reserves, that almost never happens. My backups would be Best Buy and Target.

Grampasso

I ran home with my limited edition copy this evening and rushed to load the game into my external HD... just to find that the Wii goes back to the channels screen after a try to load the game :( Any tip on the issue?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Maybe this is selfish but I secertly hope GAF stays down until Sunday morning so I dont have to read anymore impressions and I can just play this fricken game. Finally!

Yes I have to; I can't stop myself :p

Anth0ny

richisawesome said:
Again, referencing Xenoblade (goty for me, seriously), but yeah:

In Xenoblade, there was already one baddie who I HATED within the first 10 minutes (people who have played it will know what happens - it's fucking shocking), and really gave me motivation to finish the quest just to kill him - little did I know, he was only the start.

Why doesn't that happen in Skyward Sword??? It's not just Xenoblade - I had the same feeling throughout Majora's Mask. The problem is, there's absolutely no sense of threat in Skyward Sword. Zelda is off doing her own thing, and up until dungeon 6, shes in no danger whatsover. You're just carrying on venturing through these trials because your sword (fi) tells you to. What the fuck?

As a player, I'm just not engrossed in the story. It's barely there.

See, this is why Zelda fans shit on everything in these threads. They've done it so right in the past... what's the problem now?

Ocarina of Time did the same thing too. You have the dream, Great Deku Tree tells you about Ganondorf, and he grills you when you're with Zelda in the garden.

Finally, the dream comes true just before you get the Ocarina of Time. Now you hate this fucker, and you're less than halfway through the game. Majora's Mask, as you mentioned, gets this done in the first five minutes.

So what happened with Skyward Sword? Wind Waker and Twilight Princess didn't do that great a job either...

Refreshment.01 said:
There-s no need to change anything. Here's how it can work.

-First to asign a favorite item to the Dpad. Press and hold "B" like always, highlight the item and press the desired Dpad direction. The item is now asigned to the Dpad.

-Press Dpad button to equip item and hit "A" to use like usual.

This way you have 3 items always equiped and save some time by not switching as much. Plus it could be optional. If the player wanted it could play the hole game with just "B"
I prefer my method. But hey, anything is better than wasted buttons!

AdamBot

Anth0ny said:
See, this is why Zelda fans shit on everything in these threads. They've done it so right in the past... what's the problem now?

Ocarina of Time did the same thing too. You have the dream, Great Deku Tree tells you about Ganondorf, and he grills you when you're with Zelda in the garden.

Finally, the dream comes true just before you get the Ocarina of Time. Now you hate this fucker, and you're less than halfway through the game. Majora's Mask, as you mentioned, gets this done in the first five minutes.

So what happened with Skyward Sword? Wind Waker and Twilight Princess didn't do that great a job either...

I wouldn't include Wind Waker in that rant.

Rich!

Anth0ny said:

I felt compelled with the other games to stop the evil that was happening. In ocarina of time, I knew what Ganondorf had done to Hyrule. In Majora's Mask, I knew the people were in danger - and the moon was a constant threat. In Wind Waker, Ganon was always presiding over.

With Skyward Sword, the threat to the world hasn't even been fucking referenced. And ghirahim has done FUCK ALL. I don't even know what the fuck is going on.

That's why.

richisawesome said:
I felt compelled with the other games to stop the evil that was happening. In ocarina of time, I knew what Ganondorf had done to Hyrule. In Majora's Mask, I knew the people were in danger - and the moon was a constant threat. In Wind Waker, Ganon was always presiding over.

With Skyward Sword, the threat to the world hasn't even been fucking referenced. And ghirahim has done FUCK ALL. I don't even know what the fuck is going on.

That's why.
I agree with this post.

Phenomic

So the disc has a mandatory update on it. I assume that if I boot it with Gecko OS that it won't be an issue? Is there something else that has to be done, because I still want to import Last Story and Pandora's Tower... don't really feel like losing my Homebrew Channel.

Rich!

In essence, Skyward Sword's plot is essentially this:

Link must find Zelda!

...and that's it. It lacks the epicness of every other game in the series, and suffers for it IMO.

Phenomic said:
So the disc has a mandatory update on it. I assume that if I boot it with Gecko OS that it won't be an issue? Is there something else that has to be done, because I still want to import Last Story and Pandora's Tower... don't really feel like losing my Homebrew Channel.

You have the homebrew channel? Then use starfall/startpatch and disable disc updates like I did. Problem solved.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Lets just face it; Zelda stories aren't that great usually. The only ones worth talking about are Majora's Mask and Windwaker. But not even in those did I feel some great NEED to kill a bad-guy.

Now that's a big complaint I had with Uncharted 3 comparing to Uncharted 2; I don't even remember what's her name's face while ewwwwww boy I wanted to kill Lazarveic! But IMO I think that is a worthwhile complaint for that series because the overall story actually matters with it when it comes to judgement of quality (for me anyways).

[Nintex]

Just played it the first 4 hours today and it looks crazy good. The style is awesome.

As for the rest of the game... I'll have to play some more I guess. I wasn't blown away from the start and the opening takes way too long and despite the long opening I still don't feel much of a connection to the story or world. It's not really a vast land to explore more like set pieces created for the hero to solve. So far it has yet to grab me like Twilight Princess did but the craftmanship of this game is something for the history records.

richisawesome said:

Link must find Zelda!

...and that's it. It lacks the epicness of every other game in the series, and suffers for it IMO.

You have the homebrew channel? Then use starfall/startpatch and disable disc updates like I did. Problem solved.
It's kinda worse than that (I'm halfway through)
its more "Link must find Zelda who seems to be doing perfectly well on her own and hasn't really requested your help!

:(

ryan-ts

richisawesome said:

Link must find Zelda!

So Zelda is missing? Thats all the incentive I need.

Rich!

butter_stick said:
It's kinda worse than that (I'm halfway through)
its more "Link must find Zelda who seems to be doing perfectly well on her own and hasn't really requested your help!

:(

exactly

what the fuck is Link doing. he could be chillin in bed

weeaboo said:
Me too but he's so fabulous i want him to touch my skyward sword &#20022;( *´&#1044;&#65344; )&#12494;

Why thank you

of course I'm fabulous

mjc

I've never really felt a strong connection to Zelda's stories tbh. They're serviceable but I've never expected incredible storytelling.

AdamBot

richisawesome said:

That's why.

I did feel that way with Twilight Princess. I know it's been a while but I felt like all I was doing was following Midna's orders to try and remove the ambiguously evil twilight atmosphere from parts of the landscape. Zant is laughably inconsequential, and you don't meet Ganondorf until closer to the end of the game, and even then without any context of previous games it's not even necessarily clear WHY he is evil. Granted its been 5 years since I played it so my memory could be off on this.

Wind Waker is very clear from the very beginning. In the first 15 minutes your little sister is kidnapped and you are off to overcome insurmountable challenges to get her back as a 9 year old kid yourself. We meet Ganondorf... what, 40 minutes in? You want to kill him from the first chapter onward.

It's sad to hear they seem to be repeating the same plot disconnect from TP, only this time there's no Ganondorf to come in at the end.

Crispy

Shiggy said:
The manual is a joke, isn't it?

It is, but the text on the back of the box takes the cake, at least here in The Netherlands. Translated it says:

When a friend is in danger, you know what has to be done
Go on an adventure with the young hero Link, to help him save his childhood-friend, Zelda.

It sounds less awful in English, but still, what does this tell you about the game? How does it set the game apart from any other game? It's like they didn't even try. Got to play this for half an hour today, now it's girlfriend time...tomorrow will be my Zelda day!

Phenomic

richisawesome said:

I assume that this will work with any system version? I know so little about all of this stuff, it's such a pain when stuff like this arises. I'm always so paranoid I will brick my stuff.

Rich!

Phenomic said:
I assume that this will work with any system version? I know so little about all of this stuff, it's such a pain when stuff like this arises. I'm always so paranoid I will brick my stuff.

it's a wii

you wont brick it.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Best 3D Zelda so far;

Dungeons: are really well designed...it's never confusing and allows for progress to be steady. In past Zelda's I always thought I missed something and would wonder around aimlessly.
Puzzles - so so soooo satisfying when you solve them. Really enjoying the puzzles.
Art style: Between this and WW I really don't know which I love more...they are both beautiful...I love the fact that things in the distance are washed out like a water colour painting...I wonder if it's intentional so Nintendo can make up-close stuff look even more nicer...what ever the case it's beautiful. I hope Nintendo sticks with unique art style type Zelda...the Wii U Zelda tech demo is not the type of Zelda I like tbh...just seems so plain and boring... :/

I've never felt the urgency in Zelda games people apparently hold dear.

It's kind of hard to when you have to collect X medallions to build a rainbow bridge.

Top Bottom