• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

jarosh said:
sub-zero is in skyward sword!!??

Game of the century!

I rate it
bird.png
/10

Ragus said:
But I have a problem: My wii is softmoded. If I choose to do Wii System Update through the DVD, can something wrong happen?
How long ago were the modifications made and when was the last time you updated from disc?

From what I understand: If you have a rather old installation of the Homebrew channel, that'll be gone. If you're using cIOS (i.e. USB loader) then cIOS249 is overwritten (and can't be written to again, this has been true for disc updates for arppox. 1 year now) but most recent tutorials get users to use different slots.

The only Wiis that get major trouble (as in bricked) from official updates are Korean ones made to run non-Korean firmware (look at your systems serial number on the bottom to figure out if it is) but thats been true for about 2 years (IIRC firmware 4.2).

The perfect Dark said:
I think that all nintendo games look really good on HDTV with component cables.
Some people prefer the dull-washed out colours and fuzzyness of Composite when playing on a HDTV as it makes the jaggles/image imperfections (partly caused by anamorphic widescreen, 640*480 with rectangular pixels to fill 16:9 leads to more horizontal jaggles being made) less noticable. Turning sharpness down helps too (I don't get why HDTV always come with sharpness set so high).

I found with the title screen (yeah, I'm reviewing the graphics from seeing the title screen) the polygon birds flying looked iffy but the background sky was fine.

TheExodu5

Banned
I barely played any of it (20 minutes really...had massive shoulder pain last night and had to stop), but the intro is not as painful as I expected. I think I'm glad I set my expectations ultra-low..

jarosh said:
hey guys, i played 3 hours, here's my score: 4/10

hey guys, i just beat the second dungeon: 10/10

hey guys, i'm now 7 hours in: 9/10

hey guys, i just killed the princess and unlocked sub-zero: 5/10

hey guys, i got bored and quit after 16 hours, my final score: 10/10
i got to ganon's final form, lost interest, and quit: wood thrush lifting his head from the winter snows/10

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Hard to believe that two days and a hour from now I will be leaving to pick up a new console Zelda...

I would be excited, but thanks to you guys I'm pissed that I don't have it right now!

Mihael Mello Keehl said:
fuck those who have the game now....and enjoy the game whoever has it now. I really dislike sunday releases, got classes the next day. :(

You're gonna wanna play so much that you'll stay up too late, or you'll just be thinking about it all day in class. Basically Monday is already a write-off. You might as well not turn in! </devil on your shoulder>

hyp3rlink

I still can't get over the fact that they decided to use MotionPlus for aiming instead of much superior IR-aiming. Not a game breaker but very disappointing.

Regarding the system update with the game and softmodded Wiis, I installed HB and Gecko in August on a Wii that was only a few months old. How will my system be affected?

Mael

TheExodu5 said:
The MotionPlus aiming really is awful.
The weird part is that it's not because they couldn't let the pointing do the aiming while having all the other stuffs handled by the motion+. I mean you can use the pointer aiming like a charm in WSR and that game is basically ALL about m+!
Heck there's also Red Steel 2 and all where there's no problem

GWX

TheExodu5 said:
The MotionPlus aiming really is awful.

It really isn't that much worse than Twilight Princess's aiming with the pointer. There was something very wrong with the pointer implementation in that game. It felt slow and floaty, and it never gave me the precision I needed in some parts. Although it's doable, that black bird thing that you guide with your pointer is way easier and more responsive if you turn the pointer off.

Relix said:
MotionPlus aiming is the best part... much much better than the IR pointer
I love how almost every aspect of the game (especially those concerning the controls) has polarizing opinions. :p I'll form my own in a few days I suppose.

McNum

*ahem*
I got the thiiiing!

Haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but the golden Wii Remote Plus is delightfully tacky. And apparently it weighs less than a standard Wii Remote. It feels light. Looking forward to playing this game.

Relix said:
MotionPlus aiming is the best part... much much better than the IR pointer

Agreed, I had no problem with it. In fact its quite refreshing to have people walk in front of the TV and not have it screw up aiming controls. The sword, bow and bombs were probably my favourite motion+ implementations in the game. I felt like fecking He-Man, Legolas and Roy Munson from Kingpin.

Mael

McNum said:
*ahem*
I got the thiiiing!

Haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but the golden Wii Remote Plus is delightfully tacky. And apparently it weighs less than a standard Wii Remote. It feels light. Looking forward to playing this game.

The B button on the back is also white....along with all the controls...

test_account

XP-39C²
I got my copy today :D

20r0c4i.jpg

My body is however not ready. Unforunately i havnt gotten that much into the Zelda games, so i bought this mainly for collection purposes.

CassSept

4th dungeon boss... sooo goood. The dungeon was a tad worse than the previous one (which is still amazing due to the 3rd dungeon being extraordinary). The game really picks up once you reach second boss. I have a couple of ideas where the plot might be heading but I'll wait and see how it unveils.

CassSept said:
4th dungeon boss... sooo goood. The dungeon was a tad worse than the previous one (which is still amazing due to the 3rd dungeon being extraordinary). The game really picks up once you reach second boss. I have a couple of ideas where the plot might be heading but I'll wait and see how it unveils.
This is good to hear as i'm going to be starting it shortly. I felt like the desert area was beginning to drag a bit so I could do with a great dungeon.

kiryogi

Banned
CassSept said:

I'm disappointed if that was the water temple for the game . . . Might be easiest water temple of the 3d ones
But that said, despite my complaints in the black, that boss was pretty fucking epic.

I just got my copy today, been playing it for the last 3.5 hours!

Loving this game, It's fun to slice through every single thing in your path!

There need to be more enemies who only die by stabbing though, I enjoy stabbing stuff.

creid

So if aiming is handled by MotionPlus, is there no infrared functionality in the game at all? This would make me very happy, as in the afternoon my room is too bright for the Wii Remote to work properly. Really killed me in S&P2.

Boney

Banned
Amir0x said:
Well since you knew my answer I don't know why you bothered asking! Seems kind of a cool power you have.

I'll answer in general terms, since people who think 999 have good writing were clearly bonkers beyond helping, but a text game's form of 'challenge' is in the type of mental gymnastics it makes you go through in order to complete the game. If they're legitimately thought provoking challenges and make you really think (they're clever, in other words), then that is a challenge that would feel rewarding upon completion. If it fails to be engaging in this way, and if it's not engaging me intellectually (if it's poorly written, in other words) then it's going to fail to meet the criteria.

Text games are not magically exempt.
Haven't played 999 so maybe it wasn't the best example. Perhaps something like Pheonix Wright is better. There's barely any 'mental gymnastics' to speak of. But it manages to engage you with writing and music, not the choices you make as player, it's basically a roller coaster ride that should not be judged via risk rewards notions.

Dascu

creid said:
So if aiming is handled by MotionPlus, is there no infrared functionality in the game at all? This would make me very happy, as in the afternoon my room is too bright for the Wii Remote to work properly. Really killed me in S&P2.
It uses the sensor bar to automatically recalibrate the Wiimote from time to time.

Boney said:
Haven't played 999 so maybe it wasn't the best example. Perhaps something like Pheonix Wright is better. There's barely any 'mental gymnastics' to speak of. But it manages to engage you with writing and music, not the choices you make as player, it's basically a roller coaster ride that should not be judged via risk rewards notions.
Oh but you're wrong. 999 does have a risk/reward system. You risk losing faith in GAF member's opinions, but you're rewarded when you quit the game and play something else.
That's maybe overly harsh, but I ain't ever trusting recommendations here anymore.

Foliorum Viridum said:
The game seems picky about what's a diagonal slice and a horizontal slice.

I think it takes the orientation of the remote in your hand into account -- try flexing the sword around with your wrist and you'll see that Link rotates the blade too. If you imagine the face of the remote is the face of the blade, your thumb resting above it, angle the face of the remote the way you would if you were expecting to cut through something like the wooden blocks at the beginning in real life...

ie.. like

Code:
    /                              \
  /              _ _ _               \
/                                      \

striking                            striking
downleft or     striking            downright
upright         horizontally        or upleft

its also worth mentioning that short waggles are in danger of registering differently than obvious gestures with a trajectory. Experiment and you should get used to it quite quickly hopefully. Also for the skyward charges, the remote basically has to find itself perpendicular to the floor... by the final battle you will hopefully be a badass he-man-esque swordsman

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mihael Mello Keehl said:
fuck those who have the game now....and enjoy the game whoever has it now. I really dislike sunday releases, got classes the next day. :(
I have an exam on Monday, but I'm getting all of my studying done now so I can play Zelda aaaaallllll day on Sunday (and after my exam on Monday, of course--Zelda and Sonic have been the only games this year that I'm making decisions to break my "console games only on weekends" rule to play on weekdays). :D

I think the only thing on your mind on Monday is going to be Zelda. :lol

I have this annoying problem with the pointer recalibrating itself. On the wall to the right of the TV I have two very small square windows that the wiimote thinks is the sensor bar, so if I point too far to the right it recalibrates itself and the aim is waaay off. Easily fixable and not a problem with the game, but still annoying as fuck. Besides that the controls are awesome. I let a friend play past the intro part, and right after getting the sword (if you've played it you know what I'm talking about) he just sat there with a huge grin on his face and said "this is AWESOME!"

Bit-Bit

Motion+ aiming has got to be one of the best parts that I hope Nintendo implements from now on. It allows me to play laying down without having to worry about where my Wii-mote is pointing. Essentially, I can make the "center" at any point that I want and go from there. It literally takes a fraction of a nano second to press down on the d-pad and have the cursor recenter. This is especially useful once you get a certain item that puts the game into an over the shoulder aiming.

Think of it like this, if they were to use the pointer for aiming, you would have a fairy onscreen at all times making chiming sounds while having to worry about light reflections messing it up and your distance from the sensor bar.

In my opinion, people complaining about the aiming just hasn't gotten used to it yet. There's a learning curve just like with any new controls that gets introduced. But once it becomes second nature, you won't want to go back. I promise.

This game is awesome, the menu/item controls are a lot less annoying than I had expected!

Bit-Bit said:
Motion+ aiming has got to be one of the best parts that I hope Nintendo implements from now on. It allows me to play laying down without having to worry about where my Wii-mote is pointing. Essentially, I can make the "center" at any point that I want and go from there. It literally takes a fraction of a nano second to press down on the d-pad and have the cursor recenter. This is especially useful once you get a certain item that puts the game into an over the shoulder aiming.

Think of it like this, if they were to use the pointer for aiming, you would have a fairy onscreen at all times making chiming sounds while having to worry about light reflections messing it up and your distance from the sensor bar.

In my opinion, people complaining about the aiming just hasn't gotten used to it yet. There's a learning curve just like with any new controls that gets introduced. But once it becomes second nature, you won't want to go back. I promise.

Motion+ finally solved my glass table problem, lol.

creid

Starwolf_UK said:
I'm wondering if the only reason Nintendo does is for the Nintendo World store launch party (it would be uppealing to attend on a Monday, say).
Unlikely, seeing as they are holding the launch party on Saturday. Probably so that kids can go buy it on release day?
Snytbaggen said:
I have this annoying problem with the pointer recalibrating itself. On the wall to the right of the TV I have two very small square windows that the wiimote thinks is the sensor bar, so if I point too far to the right it recalibrates itself and the aim is waaay off. Easily fixable and not a problem with the game, but still annoying as fuck.
This is the situation I'm in, except my windows are large. Ugh.

Majora

Only played a couple of hours so far but the motionplus aiming is awesome. Genuinely don't understand the complaints about that, it's been flawless for me.

Glass Rebel said:
Alright. The final boss is a dick. Gotta be the hardest boss in any Zelda ever.

If you've already beaten
him
then ignore, but if you need any tips:

First section:
dodge his strikes, hit him quickly and back off more or less straight away. Never get too far away from him or he will charge you and its almost impossible to dodge.
Second section:
when lightning is occuring, you can raise the Master Sword to have it struck by lightning and then do a powerful sword beam that will stun him. He can do the same though, be ready to hop out of the way of his beams. You have to be really quick finishing him when he eventually goes down, otherwise he gets back up to give you some more.

I had to go into the battle with three heart potions. I'm really annoyed with myself that I saved after all the cool
final battles with Ghirahim
- I'd really like to play those again and I'm not sure if I can do so through the
boss rush mode in Lanayru Desert

Quick question for those who have completed the game actually...
if you save the game after defeating Demise, does it make your save unplayable and start Hero mode automatically - or can you go back in and 100% the collectables etc?
... I wasn't sure so I didn't save.

Top Bottom