• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Kard8p3

Maybe they're trying to wean us off a more focused story so they can move back to a non-linear style zelda for the next game. Really though I didn't feel a sense of urgency in A Link to the Past or Ocarina so that's no problem for me.

ShockingAlberto said:
I've never felt the urgency in Zelda games people apparently hold dear.

It's kind of hard to when you have to collect X medallions to build a rainbow bridge.
I liked getting out of the boat to trade flowers with Gorons or play minigames during the first part of Wind Waker because then the King of Red Lions was constantly all "what the hell are you doing!? we need to GO"

EmCeeGramr said:
oh thank god they went for personal reasons instead of lame "epicness" shit

hype +1000000

It's nothing heartwrenching but I felt that the whole motivation for Link to go after Zelda was less forced than in other titles. For Zelda standards Skyward Sword's Link felt more human and relatable. Of course, I've never really played Zelda for the story or the character but if you liked them in WW I don't see how you can't like them in SS.

zoukka

My god this game is a breath of fresh, calm air in terms of the story, amazingly realised characters and the sublime visuals. I just love the slow beginning. I guess if you want to hurry to the end quickly, it would annoy you though.

Only just got the first new locale and I can say, I've never felt so attached to a Zelda world. Beautiful stuff all around. Also I like the synthetic music more than the orchestral stuff. Seems out of place really...

bubnbob

Banned
butter_stick said:
It's kinda worse than that (I'm halfway through)
its more "Link must find Zelda who seems to be doing perfectly well on her own and hasn't really requested your help!

:(

fate fate fate fate destiny

Majora

I really feel like people have been making mountains out of molehills with parts of this game. I saw people complaining about the bit where you have to find the penguin guys and I can't understand how that is classed as filler. They're all hidden; if you had been exploring the area fully you would have already found 3 of them, with 1 to find straight after you're given the quest. If you didn't find them then you've missed areas anyway by not exploring properly, so you're still getting new content by going to find them. It's like people get told they have to find some stuff and start crying 'padding' and 'fetch quest' regardless as to whether it's appropriate or not.

I don't like dousing but I just don't use it. I bring it up for one second to shut Fi up and then explore on my own. Fi does talk too much though, that's my biggest complaint so far.

Anth0ny

I don't think the story is necessarily bad. Link wants to get laid. Cool.

But I have no incentive to stop the main villain. That's bad.

butter_stick said:
The story is never my motivation in Zelda. It's just that SS really seems slim, which is weird because it also has a lot of cut scenes.

It's weird in that way because it ramps up quite a bit at the end.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Anth0ny said:

Doesn't he want to kidnap the person you want to get laid with?

Kind of a major cockblocker is you ask me.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
YAY! Got it today. Still running around doing the opening. Glad I'm going in almost completely spoiler free since even the opening is throwing surprises at me.

Kiiji

Banned
Guys, is this game better to play in 480p using component cables on an LCD TV in widescreeen, or on a CRT TV in 480i not in widescreen (and the CRT TV has only mono sound)? The TVs are about the same size. I'd really like to know so I can set up my room before trying to play this game, thanks!

Rich!

Kiiji said:
Guys, is this game better to play in 480p using component cables on an LCD tv in widescreeen, or on a CRT TV in 480i not in widescreen? The TVs are about the same size. I'd really like to know so I can set up my room before trying to play this game, thanks!

CRT is best

(playing on a widescreen 28" CRT via component, even though I have a 50" Panasonic LCD)

Anth0ny said:

Got it backwards Anthony, Zelda is the one who want to gets laid. The only think Link is happy to fuck are the chances to do so.

Kard8p3

Anth0ny said:

Yeah but I've always felt that way. I felt no incentive to stop Aghahnim in ALttP, Vaati in MC, or Ganon in OoT. They never have villains do much so then all I have to go on is the personality of the villain.

guek

Banned
butter_stick said:
The story is never my motivation in Zelda. It's just that SS really seems slim, which is weird because it also has a lot of cut scenes.

I know you've said you liked the game overall several times, but it's really hard to believe considering just about every post of yours is some sort of complaint

Kard8p3 said:
Yeah but I've always felt that way. I felt no incentive to stop Aghahnim in ALttP, Vaati in MC, or Ganon in OoT. They never have villains do much so then all I have to go on is the personality of the villain.
The market being made shitty made me want to kill Ganondorf. How dare he!

guek said:
I know you've said you liked the game overall several times, but it's really hard to believe considering just about every post of yours is some sort of complaint
Right now it's pretty much mid tier 3D Zelda. Which means its great but disappointing. I reserve the right to change my opinion as time progresses.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Kard8p3 said:

The very first thing I said when Agahim made Zelda disappear in the Dark World was: "Son of a bitch!"

Same when Vaati turned Zelda to stone.

Strangely, Ganon in OoT, nope. It was when he transformed into Ganon that I said: "Oh, the son of a bitch!" Though it wasn't for the same reason.

And I'm sure I'll just love Ghirahim. His personality just looks so fabulous.

ShockingAlberto said:
Technically in Ocarina, if you hadn't gone on the so-called urgent journey, literally everything would have been fine.
Wait, what? Hadn't Ganondorf planted the curse inside of the Deku Tree before the game even starts. As well as plotting to take over Hyrule? I know removing the Master Sword granted Ganondorf his triforce, but he would have gotten it one way or another.

ryan-ts

Since we're shitting on Zelda stories:

In MM I purposely let the moon crash a number of times before beating Majora just because of all the shit the NPC's put me through in order to get every mask. It was glorious and I wish I would've gotten the option to just get the hell out of Termina and let everyone else die. Except the Mask Salesman, he was cool. The only reason I killed Majora was the fact that he got in the way of me seeing the end credits.

[Nintex]

Metroid Killer said:
Wait, what? Hadn't Ganondorf planted the curse inside of the Deku Tree before the game even starts. As well as plotting to take over Hyrule? I know removing the Master Sword granted Ganondorf his triforce, but he would have gotten it one way or another.
The Deku Tree would've died along with his gem. The Gorons would've been extinct due to a lack of food. Ganondorf probably wouldn't have been able to find the gem by himself. Ruto would've been eaten by Jabu Jabu and likely died in his belly thus her gem being lost forever as well.

So Ganondorf would be standing in front of the Door of Time not being able to open it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Metroid Killer said:

Indeed. He just saw Link going around collecting the Stones and probably went: "Hey, the kid is doing all the work for me, I'll just sit back and relax."

Kard8p3

BY2K said:
The very first thing I said when Agahim made Zelda disappear in the Dark World was: "Son of a bitch!"

Same when Vaati turned Zelda to stone.

Strangely, Ganon in OoT, nope. It was when he transformed into Ganon that I said: "Oh, the son of a bitch!" Though it wasn't for the same reason.

And I'm sure I'll just love Ghirahim. His personality just looks so fabulous.

My thing is I never feel the urgency to go after a villain I almost never see. The villain doesn't need to be overexposed but I want to see them more than 3 or 4 times total. That's one reason why I know I'll like Ghirahim more than most zelda villains simply because you see him more.

Frillen

Impressions after 4 hours of playin'.

- Motion controls are great, outside of a few irks and not responding when it should
- Start is slow with tons of boring dialogue
- Skyloft looks awesome though, love the art
- Game picks up when you enter
Faron Woods
- Overall I enjoy it thus far and the good thing is that I know it just gets better

Kard8p3 said:
My thing is I never the urgency to go after a villain I almost never see. The villain doesn't need to be overexposed but I want to see them more than 3 or 4 times total. That's one reason why I know I'll like Ghirahim more than most zelda villains simply because you see him more.
*thinks*

You're right, Ganon was kind of absent in OoT.

You see Ganondorf three times before you fight him. The window, the chase, and him schooling you in the Sacred Realm.

Wind Waker was much better about making him menacing.

Link and Zelda unintentionally helping Ganondorf as kids, then correcting their mistake as adults. I still think Ocarina of Time has a pretty cool story.

BowieZ

Banned
AdamBot said:
I personally already want to kick Ghirahim's ass because he looks like a flaming emo circus clown reject.
I still am convinced that Ghirahim is a twisted malformed Link clone one generation older than Link... a failed Chosen One.

I will play this game to prove that I am right lol

Loki

Count of Concision
Is there a good amount of exploration in this game? That's my favorite part of Zelda games, and one of the reasons I loved TP so much despite the barrenness of its overworld sometimes.

boiled goose

good with gravy
So amazon has my shipment arrival date at Nov30-Dec 5.. :/

Time to cancel preorder?

I can go to gamestop... :?? to pick up a copy instead. Should I cancel my amazon order?
Will the gamestop copy have the concert CD?

amtentori said:

Time to cancel preorder?

I can go to gamestop... :?? to pick up a copy instead. Should I cancel my amazon order?

Yeah, I believe that the soundtrack comes with every copy.

Combine

Banned
amtentori said:

Time to cancel preorder?

Same for me. Amazon does sometimes tend to overestimate the delivery times. Though this one is worrisome because it's mid-week after Thanksgiving.

tolkir

zoukka said:
My god this game is a breath of fresh, calm air in terms of the story, amazingly realised characters and the sublime visuals. I just love the slow beginning. I guess if you want to hurry to the end quickly, it would annoy you though.

Only just got the first new locale and I can say, I've never felt so attached to a Zelda world. Beautiful stuff all around. Also I like the synthetic music more than the orchestral stuff. Seems out of place really...

This, i loved too. Reminds me to beginning of a anime.

I want a full game like the first hour.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
amtentori said:
ok going to GS now. if i come back with a copy, then amazon order canceled.

Dude, they're going to tell you to come back sunday if they even care about the release date.

verbatimo

Impressions after second dungeon

Tutorial section is better then Twilight Princess.
At the beginning, motion controls were little difficult but after the tutorial was over, and I travelled to
Faron Woods
they clicked, and combat was getting better.
Game is definately more challenging than recent Zelda games. I can't remember last time, when I needed to use potion in the second dungeon.
Miniboss battle against two lizalfos was quite challenging, and had to use red potion, because there wasn't any hearts on the ground.
Puzzles are also cleaver. I don't know if my memory is getting bad, or if I have been playing too much run&gun games, where you don't need to think anything. In this game, there have been many occasions where I really need to think what to do.
Dungeon layout is also very good.
I really liked
Earth Temple
and it's puzzles.
I don't understand the side quest critic. Same kind of quests are in Skyrim and nobody is criticising that.

So far the game has been very good. I already rank it higher than Twilight Princess.

Xane

F#A#Oo said:
Best 3D Zelda so far;

Dungeons: are really well designed...it's never confusing and allows for progress to be steady. In past Zelda's I always thought I missed something and would wonder around aimlessly.
Puzzles - so so soooo satisfying when you solve them. Really enjoying the puzzles.
Art style: Between this and WW I really don't know which I love more...they are both beautiful...I love the fact that things in the distance are washed out like a water colour painting...I wonder if it's intentional so Nintendo can make up-close stuff look even more nicer...what ever the case it's beautiful. I hope Nintendo sticks with unique art style type Zelda...the Wii U Zelda tech demo is not the type of Zelda I like tbh...just seems so plain and boring... :/
I agree, I felt the same. :D

Top Bottom