• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

This bitch repeats everything someone says to you. Also, it takes entirely too long to get out of the process of picking up a building item. Everything else is awesome so far, and I love the combat. Those two gripes are pretty heavy though...

Aeana

abstract alien said:
This bitch repeats everything someone says to you. Also, it takes entirely too long to get out of the process of picking up a building item. Everything else is awesome so far, and I love the combat. Those two gripes are pretty heavy though...
At least (small consolation, I know), the treasure messages only pop up the first time you pick up that specific type of treasure in an area. I just wish they would have at least made it so you only see one of those messages per each type in the entire game, though.

dysonEA

How are people playing this when it's not out yet?? Really wish amazon had day one shipping for this .... Well at least so it would arrive on Monday :/

Crewnh said:
Really? There's no foreshadowing toward it, it's just Ganondorf going "All part of my plan".

And then he does it again seven years later.

Boney said:
I love it when we retroactively make older zelda's epic

this thread is hilarious

Now I feel like a mega geek. >_>

Well, the story isn't really important I guess. Like what Regulus Tera said, I just like coming of age stories.

TheExplodingHead said:
Just picked up my copy! On the way home driving 120mph with this song play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQqwG_rQx7A

The mental image is awesome. : P

Anth0ny

King_Moc said:
I don't know if it's just me, but on a 40" 1080p TV that effect looks....bad.

Like, really, really, really bad.

Every Wii game looks really really bad on a 40" 1080p TV =P

It looks amazing in Dolphin.

Reknoc

Fi's existence is worth it just for Faron Woods
where she'd jump out and scare the cute little kikwi guys when you're talking to them

[Nintex]

Anth0ny said:
That's fucked.

Recycle the assets from Skyward Sword and get us another Zelda in 2 years. These long waits are too painful ; _ ;
Aonuma also said at one of the E3's: "You'd already been playing it if we didn't change the art style". At E3 2010 they were like: "We have to wrap up the final dungeon and bosses and it's done" and then they spend another 12+ months developing the game. If they didn't put in motion controls, took them back out, put them back in again and changed the style of the game we probably would've been playing it fall 2010 at the latest. Still crazy that Nintendo didn't move onto a Twilight Princess sequel right away and started doing Crossbow Training. Aonuma said Zelda Wii U is a 'starting point' so at least they're working on it right away. The next Zelda is probably Zelda 3DS and I can see it hitting next fall depending on who's developing.

MrPliskin said:
Thanks (and everyone else who answered!).

Will pick up a M+ controller today and the game on Sunday!
For your information. The game is also released in a limited edition which includes a golden wiimote(with inbuilt M+). I assume it's cheaper to buy that edition instead of buying the items seperately.

Anth0ny

[Nintex] said:
Aonuma also said at one of the E3's: "You'd already been playing it if we didn't change the art style". At E3 2010 they were like: "We have to wrap up the final dungeon and bosses and it's done" and then they spend another 12+ months developing the game. If they didn't put in motion controls, took them back out, put them back in again and changed the style of the game we probably would've been playing it fall 2010 at the latest. Still crazy that Nintendo didn't move onto a Twilight Princess sequel right away and started doing Crossbow Training. Aonuma said Zelda Wii U is a 'starting point' so at least they're working on it right away. The next Zelda is probably Zelda 3DS and I can see it hitting next fall depending on who's developing.

It blows my mind that they spend so much time building these worlds, just to abandon them after one game. A Wind Waker sequel that wasn't rushed would have been amazing. Even a Twilight Princess sequel would have been great. And they're just going to leave this gorgeous Skyward Sword artstyle behind after 5 years of development?

Damn.

watershed

Banned
Anth0ny said:
It blows my mind that they spend so much time building these worlds, just to abandon them after one game. A Wind Waker sequel that wasn't rushed would have been amazing. Even a Twilight Princess sequel would have been great. And they're just going to leave this gorgeous Skyward Sword artstyle behind after 5 years of development?

Damn.
Well we can always hope the WW assets are used for the first 3ds zelda game. That world in 3d with shader effects would be amazing!

Boney

Banned
Anth0ny said:

Damn.
I'm glad they do.

I was just walking around the area before the second dungeon and did something really cool with the beetle. I saw a heart piece up high so I flew to it to see how I could track the path back to get to it and I saw one of those enemies who hide in shells outside of its shell in the open.

Stood next to a bomb.

I flew in to the bomb to activate it and BOOM, he was dead.

Small thing, but it really makes the item cool.

guek

Banned
Boney said:
I'm glad they do.

Zelda is a weird series. I think it's fair to say that the game changes more radically between installments than the overwhelming majority of franchises. At the same time, you could say it's stays stubbornly true to some franchise tropes more than most franchises as well.

cacophony

Just how limited is the special edition? Like if I went to Wal-Mart late Sunday night, do you think they'd have any left? I'd rather get that remote than the separate M+ thing.

Huh.

Places where I thought the combat was slow or expecting more deliberate movements were me missing the point, apparently.

Like the very early goblins. I thought I had to trick them by doing the opposite of my telegraphed attacks. Nope, just had to slash like crazy and they go down like sacks of rupees.

Not every enemy is like that but I was wondering why they made such a direction intensive enemy for one of the first real fights. Apparently the answer is: they didn't.

ShockingAlberto said:
Huh.

Places where I thought the combat was slow or expecting more deliberate movements were me missing the point, apparently.

Like the very early goblins. I thought I had to trick them by doing the opposite of my telegraphed attacks. Nope, just had to slash like crazy and they go down like sacks of rupees.

Not every enemy is like that but I was wondering why they made such a direction intensive enemy for one of the first real fights. Apparently the answer is: they didn't.

At moments like that one I just spin attack three times and run like hell with my last stamina. :(

fernoca

cacophony said:
Just how limited is the special edition? Like if I went to Wal-Mart late Sunday night, do you think they'd have any left? I'd rather get that remote than the separate M+ thing.
For sure, it will be available through 2011. How much or until when, is currently unknown. For example, Wal-Mart is advertising the special edition bundle for their Black Friday sales (at $10 less); so either they will receive a good amount that will last from launch to Black Friday; or they will hold part of the shipment until that sale.

Aeana

This game is really irritating sometimes. It bombards you with tutorials all the time, but when you're in a boss battle and cannot figure out how to damage the boss, Fi suddenly has nothing to say.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Does the LE Wiimote come with a condom? Surely it must. And is it gold too?

cacophony said:
At least in Canada, Gamestop, Best Buy etc are sold out of LE preorders. Wal-Mart has a few left. I think it will not be "very easy" to find a copy (contradicting what I was predicting earlier in the other thread :p)

I think, because it's Nintendo, we'll see additional shipments (maybe sans music CD?), but there's a chance it may be scarce initially...?

cajunator

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
'kay

1zDz2.jpg
DEM BANGS

OK too many spoilers popping up everywhere. THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS AREA. BAILING THE FUCK OUT UNTIL I HAVE THE GAME.

Got it, played it for 5 hours straight. I was on a total media black out (the only things I knew were the fact that you ride a bird and Fey was the incarnation of the sword).

I liked :
- The general feeling of the game. It felt more story-driven than the previous Zelda, it's a nice little change of pace.
- The graphics, it feels like a cartoon.
- Zelda.
- The use of WM+ for the objects and most of the actions.
- The characters.
- Fey, a non-annoying sidekick.
- The orchestrated music. Finally. It rocks.
- Ghirahim. Again, it's nice to have a change of antagonist (for the moment)
I didn't like :
- The implementation of WM+ for the swordplay. I know I'm really early in the game (just finished the first dungeon). It really feels like a gadget. I kinda liked that you use the nunchuk for the shield and the "skyward sword" move though.
-
Ghirahim fight
in the first dungeon.
It's more the first phase of the fight that's frustrating, nothing works on this guy except for endless waggling (or to exploit WM+ weaknesses) to win. Second phase of the fight was cool though
- Fey's voice
and speecg style, it makes me think of GladOs too much, and this "digitalized" style is kind of weird in a Zelda...does that mean that ancient civilizations had their technology highly advanced ? Fanwank time !
- The beginning of the game is a little slow (yet I enjoyed Persona 4's intro).
- The sky's map feels really empty...I hoped it would be like Skies of Arcadia or Wind Waker when you had islands to explore and cool stuff to find.

Caelus

Tribes of Trusty said:
- The sky's map feels really empty...I hoped it would be like Skies of Arcadia or Wind Waker when you had islands to explore and cool stuff to find.

But there are islands to explore and cool stuff to find, sometimes I just fly for the music, the skydiving and the sidequests and minigames.

Tribes of Trusty said:
-
Ghirahim fight
in the first dungeon.
It's more the first phase of the fight that's frustrating, nothing works on this guy except for endless waggling (or to exploit WM+ weaknesses) to win. Second phase of the fight was cool though
Uh, no, with exact motions the first phase is all about skill. You must've been doing it totally wrong to need to use "waggling" or an "exploit".

It was that part of the game that really made me feel confident in the combat because it taught me how to not telegraph how I was going to strike and trick enemies.

Well Wind Waker seemed much more rich in that regard, but then again I only played till the first dungeon.
Foliorum Viridum said:
Uh, no, with exact motions the first phase is all about skill. You must've been doing it totally wrong to need to use "waggling" or an "exploit".

It was that part of the game that really made me feel confident in the combat because it taught me how to not telegraph how I was going to strike and trick enemies.
Maybe I played it wrong, could you explain me how you did ? Because even with Fey's advice I didn't fare well :/.

Caelus

Tribes of Trusty said:
Well Wind Waker seemed much more rich in that regard, but then again I only played till the first dungeon.

Yeah, some of the stuff you really have no motivation to explore until after the first dungeon.

As for combat, I love faking an attack and slashing my way through unsuspecting enemies. The musical combo is amazing, and in boss battles it's brilliant the way it ties in with the music.

Tribes of Trusty said:
Maybe I played it wrong, could you explain me how you did ? Because even with Fey's advice I didn't fare well :/.
Basically,
hold the wiimote right and then bring it over and swing from the left. He'll be expecting it from the other side and it will hit him. Ditto with hold left and then move it right, hold it up and move it down, down and move it up, etc etc.

Just make it look like you'll swipe from one direction and then swipe from the opposite.
It's fundamental to the combat and before that boss I didn't understand that. It was a great way of teaching it to you, albeit four hours into the game :\

Caelus

Tribes of Trusty said:

First phase, keeping rotating your sword around and running around him until he puts his hand in a lower position, then slash away.

Second phase, when he's behind you use a spin attack or turn around and slash.

When he's about to do a running attack do the shield bash and slash while he's knocked down.

When he's launching his diamonds, use the shield. Not much you can do.

It's not hard, but it's demanding and you need to be very careful.

Xane

Tribes of Trusty said:

Point the sword in one direction and wait a few seconds, Ghirahim won't follow your sword for a small amount of time, this is the time window you have to strike from the opposite direction.
Seriously.. it's so simple.

Dabookerman said:
Right.. having a breather since the game has completely fucked me off.

Motion controls STILL don't work 100% of the time. You can't be absolutely certain you will pull of the desired action unless you do it in an exagurated.
Otherwise you end up doing the wrong action far too often.

The first boss fucked me off like nothing.

Right, reply with spoiler box but I need these questions answered -_-

How long will this game take to complete excluding sidequests?
How many dungeons?

Cheers.

Yeah, 1st boss also infuriated me to no end. I did exactly what Fi told me to do, swung the sword at every angle imaginable, and it was always blocked. I started waggling in fury, and once in a while a shot would land, completely at random. When I actually tried to do the motion correctly, would always fail. Bombing rolling is another infuriating exercise with me, as a slight twitch of the wiimote and he would throw it instead.

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Yeah, 1st boss also infuriated me to no end. I did exactly what Fi told me to do, swung the sword at every angle imaginable, and it was always blocked. I started waggling in fury, and once in a while a shot would land, completely at random. When I actually tried to do the motion correctly, would always fail. Bombing rolling is another infuriating exercise with me, as a slight twitch of the wiimote and he would throw it instead.
Read my above post, the first boss is easy when you know what to do.

I agree about the bomb throwing though - utter shit with motion controls. So cumbersome.

A problem I've had a lot is the movement I make moving the Wiimote from one position to another counts as a slash, so rather than repositioning Link's position I'm making slashes I don't want to. I did that a lot on the first boss. Like, A LOT. You have to kinda train yourself to not really make exaggerated movements, you need to just be slow and binary about it.

That was the hurdle I had to overcome too. On the first boss I was trying to QUICKLY move my sword to the other side but that motion counted as a slash.

You have to do it slowly, which is counter intuitive.

JaseMath

Just got a text message from Gamestop that basically said "Your copy won't be available until after Sunday morning lolz"

:\

Aeana

I have a lot of trouble doing a thrust right after a shield parry. It almost always does a spin attack instead. Sigh.

AdamBot

JasonMCG said:
Just got a text message from Gamestop that basically said "Your copy won't be available until after Sunday morning lolz"

:\

Ditto. I'm REALLY going to try and find it somewhere Saturday night so I can cancel on those ass hats.

I think if they carry on with M+ controls, it'd be nice if you had to hold a button to signify you want to slash, rather than move your sword. I've not thought this through so there may not be enough buttons, but it'd help you from potentially becoming over excited and the game thinking you're intending to slash from x to y whenever you want to move to y to slash to z.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
HAHAHA NAH NAH ABOO ABOO! GAF is going down for fifteen hours! Fifteen hours of me tricking myself into thinking that everybody else around the world is impatiently waiting for Sunday 11 AM to finally pick up this game!

Ahhhh I think I'll go and jump back into Skyrim..... after I beat World 8 Bowser on Super Mario Land 3D. I'll see you guys on the other side, fifteen hours closer to playing Skyward Sword :)

Top Bottom