• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Beat the first dungeon, and until now I'm just not feeling it. At all. The motion controls aren't doing it for me and more importantly : I don't think they add or improve anything. It's more frustrating than anything tbh, because sometimes it can take quite a few tries to get the specific movement for an action down.

Plus, the extreme (extreme!) handholding is getting more annoying as the game goes on, with the action getting constantly interrupted. As a big fan of the series and just about any Zelda that isn't Phantom Hourglass, I have to say : playing this feels like a chore so far. I really hope it's just a bad first impression...

jonno394

Just in the eldin region and been doing some sidequests up in skyloft. Getting to grips with swordplay quite well now

This game is just magical!!

jarosh

Beat the first dungeon, and until now I'm just not feeling it. At all. The motion controls aren't doing it for me and more importantly : I don't think they add or improve anything. It's more frustrating than anything tbh, because sometimes it can take quite a few tries to get the movement or mechanics for a gesture down.

Plus, the extreme (extreme!) handholding is getting more annoying as the game goes on, with the action getting constantly interrupted. As a big fan of the series and just about any Zelda that isn't Phantom Hourglass, I have to say : playing this feels like a chore so far. I really hope it's just a bad first impression...

the beginning IS a chore. it gets MUCH better later on. unfortunately, however, that's not until the third dungeon. the later dungeons are incredible. and the items are a lot of fun to use. if there's one thing this zelda excels at, it's centering the design of the dungeons and the puzzles in general around all of your available items.

i agree that the motion COMBAT doesn't add anything to the game. the motion controls in general work far better and are fun to use on many of the items though.

there's a lot to be said about the incessant handholding though, which later on even manages to ruin quite a few of the more ingenious puzzles.

Peff

Beat the first dungeon, and until now I'm just not feeling it. At all. The motion controls aren't doing it for me and more importantly : I don't think they add or improve anything. It's more frustrating than anything tbh, because sometimes it can take quite a few tries to get the specific movement for an action down.

The handholding gets somewhat better, but it's still there, with stupid percentages, obvious "just in case you haven't played for months" tutorials and such. The worst part is that sometimes Fi solves puzzles on her own... in the fifth dungeon you reach a room, it locks itself after you, Fi comes out and tells you exactly what to do while the camera pans to the solution.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
At the second dungeon now. The challenge before it made me run around a bit simply because I overlooked something so obvious:
the little ledge just before the bridge.

Britprog

Ahhh.. I hate the fact that everytime you restart the game, the same text is displayed when ever you pick up an item/insect. FFS I know what a wasp is!!!!!

mugwhump

Thoughts after beating the 3rd dungeon:

Wow. This game got stupendously awesome. Sidequests are opening up, I'm discovering more and more secrets everywhere, the story seems to be picking up speed, and the 3rd dungeon was great. I wasn't a fan of the 2nd area (largely due to that stupid goron-esque music), but the area after that was really sweet.

Now that I've had time to take in more details on various parts of the game and get a better idea of how it's all constructed, I'll say this:

Skyward Sword is definitely the best Zelda since OoT.

I have an exam on Monday, but I'm getting all of my studying done now so I can play Zelda aaaaallllll day on Sunday (and after my exam on Monday, of course--Zelda and Sonic have been the only games this year that I'm making decisions to break my "console games only on weekends" rule to play on weekdays). :D

I think the only thing on your mind on Monday is going to be Zelda. :lol

I know. :(

heringer

i agree that the motion COMBAT doesn't add anything to the game. the motion controls in general work far better and are fun to use on many of the items though.

This surprises me. I think the combat is really good. To me this aspect was just "there" in previous Zelda games, it wasn't as engaging as it is now.

Gino

Im up to the third area and I loving every minute so far. I think the motion controls are way more acurrate then i could have hoped. Occasionally I'll recalibrate the Remote but its pretty rare and it's not bothering me at all.

The game does tell you what items are the first time you pick them up, and agian after you restart the game but seriously it lik a second to skip past, ti me it's no big deal.

As for the people complaining that the game holds your hand it defaintly drops off. Fi hardly ever pops out unless you call her. I find myself askinf for analysis rumors and hints just so i can see more of her. I think if you don't want help you just don't ask for it. After the initial stage they let you go.

I'm really enjoying running around skyloft between dungeons. Bug hunting, side questing, upgrading weapons and searching the skys just to see who/what's out there. I highly recommend people dont rush through this game but take there time, it will be much more enjoyable.

One last thing. This game is every bit as difficult as say alttp. I had to
Leave the second dungeon and go back to skyloft to get potions, this immediately brought me back to visiting the witch in alttp after dieing multiple times in it's dungeons.

P.s. there are cat things in skyloft that are friendly in the day but are dickheads at night. I don't want to spoil what happens but when you beat one up at night you can then pick them up. Of course my thought was, im gonna throw this little bastard off the island. Give it a shot yourselves and wait around to see ehat happens after.

I love this game.

Red UFO

I teared up at the music when (super-early-not-really-a-spoiler-but-i-know-what-you-guys-are-like)
Link meets Zelda for the first time.
It's gorgeous and made me realise just how far we've come over the past 25 years.

jonno394

Talk about this for a coincidence, my two year old and four year old nieces were watching me play Skyward Sword this morning, I was flying around on the loftwing just ducking and diving and they were loving it.

They left to go see "Father Christmas" at the school and when they come back teh younger one runs in to me and gives me a badge with Link on. As part of her little gift she was given four Zelda badges and four mario badges and she recognised Link as the character she had seen earlier! She was so excited to show them to me!!

BowieZ

Banned
So, perhaps a neat summary is that the adventure, story, design, characters, gameplay, interactivity, etc etc, everything is practically the best it's ever been, if not better, but there are some issues with the execution in some areas (hand-holding, iffy camera in tight spots, and a couple of mind-boggling decisions -- like the down-button confusingly being both dive/Fi and recenter M+, and repeating text boxes, etc).

So your enjoyment of the game presumably depends largely on how much you can ignore the latter, yeah?

FreeMufasa

I love this game and I really like things that people/reviews don't. The motion controls for one (Well it is my first motion+ game). I always anticipate each encounter.

The only thing so far that's been really dissapointing is the sky. I was pretty much expecting the WW ocean in the sky but all I see is one central hub (Skyloft) and mostly floating rocks with 2-3 small islands. Then again, i'm just at the forest temple so it might open up. Don't tell me please.

The thing I REALLY love about this game is how the world is designed. I'm just in the forest but the way things connect with lots of little things to do is what i've always wanted and was missing from Twilight Princess.

EDIT: Skies of Arcardia would have been the better comparison.

Arghl I'm stuck in the second dungeon.

The earth dungeon, I'm stuck in the central hub-like room (the one with the stone eyeball that permits you to cross lava). I got the bomb bag and the map but I don't know what to do next...:/

BowieZ

Banned
Does anyone else find that the third dungeon (and the way to it) has a sad atmosphere? I like it but..nah..would be a Spoiler ^^

Definitely...
this cute little robot society lost to time. The music really helps it, being really vibrant and up-lifting in the past and sparse yet tense in the present.

Arghl I'm stuck in the second dungeon.

The earth dungeon, I'm stuck in the central hub-like room (the one with the stone eyeball that permits you to cross lava). I got the bomb bag and the map but I don't know what to do next...:/
There is a descriptive word you just used that is the key...

czk

Typical COD gamer
Also at the 3rd dungeon, the game is phenomenal and it would be insanely perfect without the dialog bulbs after picking up an item or that blue creatures handy dandy hints. They indeed ruin the puzles and the immersion.

Question to those players who finished SS: if I skip every message from Fi in the dungeon or pre-dungeon areas - will I miss something rellevant to the plot?

Im up to the third area and I loving every minute so far. I think the motion controls are way more acurrate then i could have hoped. Occasionally I'll recalibrate the Remote but its pretty rare and it's not bothering me at all.

The game does tell you what items are the first time you pick them up, and agian after you restart the game but seriously it lik a second to skip past, ti me it's no big deal.

As for the people complaining that the game holds your hand it defaintly drops off. Fi hardly ever pops out unless you call her. I find myself askinf for analysis rumors and hints just so i can see more of her. I think if you don't want help you just don't ask for it. After the initial stage they let you go.

I'm really enjoying running around skyloft between dungeons. Bug hunting, side questing, upgrading weapons and searching the skys just to see who/what's out there. I highly recommend people dont rush through this game but take there time, it will be much more enjoyable.

One last thing. This game is every bit as difficult as say alttp. I had to
Leave the second dungeon and go back to skyloft to get potions, this immediately brought me back to visiting the witch in alttp after dieing multiple times in it's dungeons.

P.s. there are cat things in skyloft that are friendly in the day but are dickheads at night. I don't want to spoil what happens but when you beat one up at night you can then pick them up. Of course my thought was, im gonna throw this little bastard off the island. Give it a shot yourselves and wait around to see ehat happens after.

I love this game.
jQPsU.jpg

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
First Temple: Meh
Second Temple: Getting better but meh
Third Temple and everything before and after it: Holy shit GOTY. XD!

Third Temple is where the game really starts hitting the right chords. It all just flows... really well there. I stopped there as I will be getting my copy tomorrow but at least its definitely starting to get good.

BowieZ

Banned
You mean
using the stone eyeball to push the press button ? I did that and the platform elevated, that's it

Oh okay, well, I take it you can probably see what needs to be done, but you can't get to it? Well, of course you can get to it. And you have in your possession all the tools you need to find a way to get to it.

flowsnake

Playing this game I keep losing picture for a split second every so often...the screen just flashes black quickly. Is my wii dying or something? Never seen it in any other game.

Rich!

listening to the
zelda overworld theme
during the end credits - fuuuuu

why couldnt it have been used elsewhere

Rich!

First Temple: Meh
Second Temple: Getting better but meh
Third Temple and everything before and after it: Holy shit GOTY. XD!

Third Temple is where the game really starts hitting the right chords. It all just flows... really well there. I stopped there as I will be getting my copy tomorrow but at least its definitely starting to get good.

Wait so, how are you playing it then?

Moaradin

I've been severely neglecting this game =(

So far its probably my favorite game this year, but my damn co-op partner has been tying me up with Saints Row 3.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
He probably has a YARRR ME HEARTIES copy of it.

I love the jump to conclusions. I posted two days back about a friend getting a copy early here in Puerto Rico. Since he usually has a night shift I pick up the game and play in the meanwhile then give it back

cajunator

Banned
But there were so many conclusions. and I felt like jumping to them. How was I to know it would end up like this? Not like this. NOT LIKE THIS.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I love the jump to conclusions. I posted two days back about a friend getting a copy early here in Puerto Rico. Since he usually has a night shift I pick up the game and play in the meanwhile then give it back

Your friend deserves a nomination for BEST FRIEND EVAR!

weeaboo

Suddenly I want to drop the game
AWFUL underwater fetch quest in Faron Forest with the AWFUL underwater motion control, jesus christ Nintendo :((((

Aeana

the beginning IS a chore. it gets MUCH better later on. unfortunately, however, that's not until the third dungeon. the later dungeons are incredible. and the items are a lot of fun to use. if there's one thing this zelda excels at, it's centering the design of the dungeons and the puzzles in general around all of your available items.

there's a lot to be said about the incessant handholding though, which later on even manages to ruin quite a few of the more ingenious puzzles.

Hmm. Some of the larger fights
such as the fight against the armored skeleton with four arms
were pretty much highlights of the game for me and they wouldn't have been possible without the motion plus stuff. However, it also caused me many many many headaches due to the not-so-perfect recognition, so perhaps it's a wash in the end.

Rich!

AWFUL underwater fetch quest in Faron Forest with the AWFUL underwater motion control, jesus christ Nintendo :((((

Yeah, it's fucking terrible. I kept shaking the wii remote too, wanting to spin - but obviously, completely for no reason at all other than to be irritating, it's on the nunchuck. Actually, why couldn't it have been the B button? Gahh

OR EVEN BETTER:

A button = swim
Analog stick = move link underwater
Shake remote = boost/spin

That would have been perfect. Why the fuck did Nintendo feel the need to have it ENTIRELY motion controlled? Jumping out of the water was a fucking pain.

zora control in MM is still king

The control is fucking ridiculous. Why why why why why why why.

I don't get why I have to control the bird with waggle either. Especially the up waggle to make him swoop up. Why can't that just be on B or something ;_;

Aeana

Yeah, it's fucking terrible. I kept shaking the wii remote too, wanting to spin - but obviously, completely for no reason at all other than to be irritating, it's on the nunchuck. Actually, why couldn't it have been the A button? Gahh

OR EVEN BETTER:

Analog stick = move link underwater
Shake remote = boost/spin

That would have been perfect. Why the fuck did Nintendo feel the need to have it ENTIRELY motion controlled? Jumping out of the water was a fucking pain.

zora control in MM is still king

I definitely appreciate the way you 'steer' Link underwater with the remote. I honestly find that paired with the ability to turn with the analog stick to create some of the best swimming controls I've seen in a 3D game. However, the nunchuck thing is irritating and does not work well at all. In fact, almost all of my control annoyances with the game are with things where the nunchuck shaking is involved.

Rich!

The control is fucking ridiculous. Why why why why why why why.

I don't get why I have to control the bird with waggle either. Especially the up waggle to make him swoop up. Why can't that just be on B or something ;_;

Why are you waving the remote up? You don't need to.

I just do a gentle swipe to the left if I want to gain altitude...just like what the control tutorial told me to. If you swipe it upwards like you're doing, of course you aren't going to have decent control of it.

CassSept

Sweet mother of mercy someone hold me. The 5th dungeon. The dungeon. The boss. The everything. I'm blown away. I don't see how any next dungeon can get any better as this was quite probably the best complete package in the series.

Plot spoilers
After Link got Triforce of Courage after Ancient Cistern I've had an idea that he might be getting the full Triforce (him getting that piece was a no-brainer, but after all that was the flame connected with Courage so there was such a possibility) and it certainly is going into that direction. Nice.
I might be dumb but I still have no idea where the story will go. In TP after the first part of the game it was clear where exactly it is going. Here, everything is possible.

Why are you waving the remote up? You don't need to.

I just do a gentle swipe to the left if I want to gain altitude...just like what the control tutorial told me to. If you swipe it upwards like you're doing, of course you aren't going to have decent control of it.

If you want to do the WHOOSH altitude boost, you need to waggle up from down to up. At least that's what the tutorial said.

Controls aside. just finished the 2nd dungeon and will be moving onto the next one in a bit. And things have started to improve a lot.

Just a small note though.

I remember the whole point of motion controls were so that they would be intuitive and simplistic.

Looking at so many comments, it's rather amusing how so many people here are finding certain things about them difficult or frustrating. I thought the whole idea was to eliminate that?

It's also further amusing considering how much you're being told how to control things when you pretty much assume correctly how you would control certain items. The game has improved a lot, but I absolutely hate when a piece of software treats the user like a complete idiot. The first 4 hours were pretty much like that.

So far the foundations of the game have been very promising, but there are so many little things that stop it from being a masterpiece that it's rather heartbreaking.

Ydahs

When you save the game outside a dungeon, do you return to Skyloft? Or are there actually checkpoints throughout the overworld?

Can't remember how TP or WW did it, but didn't like how OoT3D did it.

Hmm. Some of the larger fights
such as the fight against the armored skeleton with four arms
were pretty much highlights of the game for me and they wouldn't have been possible without the motion plus stuff. However, it also caused me many many many headaches due to the not-so-perfect recognition, so perhaps it's a wash in the end.
I consider myself an advocate of the motion control implementation of the game (save for the swiming) but saying that fight in your spoiler tag wouldn't be possible, is not an acurate statement. Remember you could pull horizontal, vertical swings from multiple directions and stabs since the series got 3D.

Top Bottom