• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Phenomic

vaelic said:
why haven't there been many/any tv commercials? seems odd...

You mean airing on TV? There's quite a few different TV spots I've seen at least on Youtube. Different ones for different regions even.

One with swords falling from the sky, one with a father teaching his son to play the game, Robin and Zelda Williams commercials. Even seen some banner ad's on GAF. I don't watch a lot of broadcast TV, so I have no idea if they're in syndication yet.

I've been thinking about making a thread about this topic but I don't think it merits its own one so I'll post the question here:

Would you like Nintendo to continue making Zeldas in this fashion or do you want them to go back to develop them like they did with OoT and MM? Namely, develop a traditional entry and use the assets to create a new game with a radical new concept in a shorter time. Like, just go crazy with whatever they want do do like they durint the N64 era or even with Galaxy and Galaxy 2.

verbatimo

F#A#Oo said:
Best 3D Zelda so far;

Dungeons: are really well designed...it's never confusing and allows for progress to be steady. In past Zelda's I always thought I missed something and would wonder around aimlessly.
Puzzles - so so soooo satisfying when you solve them. Really enjoying the puzzles.
Art style: Between this and WW I really don't know which I love more...they are both beautiful...I love the fact that things in the distance are washed out like a water colour painting...I wonder if it's intentional so Nintendo can make up-close stuff look even more nicer...what ever the case it's beautiful. I hope Nintendo sticks with unique art style type Zelda...the Wii U Zelda tech demo is not the type of Zelda I like tbh...just seems so plain and boring... :/

Same opinnion.
Screw the haters.

vaelic

Banned
Phenomic said:
You mean airing on TV? There's quite a few different TV spots I've seen at least on Youtube. Different ones for different regions even.

One with swords falling from the sky, one with a father teaching his son to play the game, Robin and Zelda Williams commercials. Even seen some banner ad's on GAF. I don't watch a lot of broadcast TV, so I have no idea if they're in syndication yet.
yea, I'm talking broadcast TV

Glass Rebel said:
[...] or even with Galaxy and Galaxy 2.
This for me please.

Need to shake things up every once in a while(see Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime), and if that concept works then by all means use it for the next couple of games.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
OMG Amy from Gamestop just called me!!!! :D

"Your game should be arriving soon-"

HOLY FU-

"on Sunday morning!"

FUCK YOU AMY
Glass Rebel said:
I've been thinking about making a thread about this topic but I don't think it merits its own one so I'll post the question here:

Would you like Nintendo to continue making Zeldas in this fashion or do you want them to go back to develop them like they did with OoT and MM? Namely, develop a traditional entry and use the assets to create a new game with a radical new concept in a shorter time. Like, just go crazy with whatever they want do do like they durint the N64 era or even with Galaxy and Galaxy 2.
Current Zelda development times are so long that by the time they could recycle assets it's time for a new generation.

You could say they did this with Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

amtentori said:
dammit. :p
thought it was out today because of all the impressions.. :(

I will still cancel though.

All of the early players and opinions are making me less patient too. : P

In the mean time, I'll try to get some schoolwork done....

Octorockin' said:
Link and Zelda unintentionally helping Ganondorf as kids, then correcting their mistake as adults. I still think Ocarina of Time has a pretty cool story.
Really? There's no foreshadowing toward it, it's just Ganondorf going "All part of my plan".

And then he does it again seven years later.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Me and Corky are enjoying the tutorial :D!

Regulus Tera said:
Current Zelda development times are so long that by the time they could recycle assets it's time for a new generation.

You could say they did this with Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

Are they really? I remember reading an interview where Miyamoto said they spent 2 years experimenting and only 3 years actually developing Skyward Sword.

Boney

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
A Link to the Past is pretty fucking epic, dude.
yes but we're talking about the dumb kid that just goes around screwing up all the time with no real notion of what's actually happening.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Boney said:
yes but we're talking about the dumb kid that just goes around screwing up all the time with no real notion of what's actually happening.
You just described, like, 95% of all coming-of-age stories, and those tend to be the most epic ones!

Regulus Tera said:
OMG Amy from Gamestop just called me!!!! :D

"Your game should be arriving soon-"

HOLY FU-

"on Sunday morning!"

FUCK YOU AMY
Yeah, I'm really pissed my EB isn't doing a midnight launch.

I'm considering going downtown tomorrow where I am since there's supposed to be a big launch party there.

King_Moc

Banned
Art style: Between this and WW I really don't know which I love more...they are both beautiful...I love the fact that things in the distance are washed out like a water colour

I don't know if it's just me, but on a 40" 1080p TV that effect looks....bad.

Like, really, really, really bad.

King_Moc said:
I don't know if it's just me, but on a 40" 1080p TV that effect looks....bad.

Like, really, really, really bad.
Yep, like they can't render it all so they have to just go BLURRRRRRRR.

I'm at the point of just getting to the second dungeon and my only complaint right now is the visuals, though. I can live with that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Glass Rebel said:
Are they really? I remember reading an interview where Miyamoto said they spent 2 years experimenting and only 3 years actually developing Skyward Sword.
...wait, seriously? What the fuck?

Eiji Aonuma is getting tainted by Squeenix.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Regulus Tera said:

As an aside, It's gonna be interesting to see how Nintendo handles the transition to HD development in the next few years....

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
MrPliskin said:
Planning on picking this up, but I have 2 quick questions:

1) Is Wiimotion+ Required?
2) Is the classic controller supported?
1. Yes
2. No

Regulus Tera said:

Let me find it for you~

It was also a process that took time. Lots of it. "I had wanted to keep it within three years, really," Miyamoto admits. "When you have a development period of five years, it's often the case that around two of those years wind up being completely wasted effort. With this game, though, I think all the work that everyone put into this project gets fully seen in the final product. I did say it was five years, but the first two of those were spent with assorted experimentation, so essentially it was three years. We went through kind of a long experimentation period, I suppose."

Sauce: http://www.1up.com/news/miyamoto-twists-turns-skyward-sword

Edit: You even had the first post in the original thread :-|

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
So much re-centring of the cursor, annoying me. I quite like the game, but I wish Nintendo had something akin to Playstation Move and it's camera so I wouldn't have to keep doing it.

I don't much care for flying and having even less to do or look around and be charmed by like Wind Waker.

Combat is fun though, even if I have to use my right hand. Just not worth it to try left handed.
I don't think the Shield bash needed to be motion controlled activated and I've been not using it at times because I don't like doing it. While sword play needs to be motion, shield would have been fine fully controlled by Z and C.
That said, congrats for Nintendo for getting Zelda 2 style combat into 3D and making it fun.

Needs more to do early on. Spartan and basic "puzzles" first dungeon thus far, more than any other game in the franchise.

Good game, not amazing or perfect, but still another Zelda game for me to enjoy going through.

weeaboo

Regulus Tera said:
jm4d4.png

HNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

full res art, now

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
MrPliskin said:
Planning on picking this up, but I have 2 quick questions:

1) Is Wiimotion+ Required?
2) Is the classic controller supported?

Just pick up the game that comes with the gold Motion + Remote.

King_Moc said:
Seems like it. It's definately not a depth of field effect like in Mario Galaxy, because that game holds up ok on a HDTV.
Yep, Galaxy and Galaxy 2 look like sex.

Obviously a Zelda game is more taxing, so you can see the hardware struggling to make the best (or even acceptable) of the art.

pringles

Sometimes I wish I was unemployed. Just entered the 1st dungeon but had to save&quit and go to work.

Loving what I've played so far. So much attention to detail and polish in every facet of the game.

jonno394

Playtime so far stands at 7 hours (two of those were with the game left running on pause), The controls are so intuitive, want to flip a skulltulla over, just do the ovement of an upwards slice, everything just works (loved the control scheme until the first part of that
Ghirahim
fight, ended up waggling like hell because I just couldn't get through his guard!)

The mechanical beetle is such a brilliant item. Was grinning like an idiot flying it round!

Haunted

FFFUUU Zelda's health is in serious danger due to Link not doing his fucking job because he's busy HUNTING BUGS.

Seriously, swishing around with that net should not feel that good. :eek:

fresquito

Have been playing this today and I've just beaten the first dungeon and unlocked the second area (although I haven't visited it yet. Some impressions:

The bad:
- Too many cutscenes and too many slow (and unnecesary) hand holding. I understand Nintendo wants to be easy on beginners, but that's why options are for: just allow us to skip being told the obvious, because it breaks the tempo of the game and makes for very slow first hours of gameplay.
- It seems like I've been playing too much PC, because I can hardly see anything. I love the graphics, but the IQ is atroicious. It doesn't help I'm playing through RGB in a 4:3 24" TV and the game goes 16:9 no matter what. I find reading all the text very hard.
- I've never had any problem with Link being silent or the lack of voice acting in Zelda games, but in this game I find it a bit jarring. There're so many cutscenes, that it's a bit odd, in this day and age, when even indie games have VA, that a game of this caliber can only offer different flavors of blips.

The good:
- It was time I saw my life in danger in a Zelda game again. It's not 2D Zeldas, but you can't be as carefree as in TP or WW.
- Graphic design is top-notch, and IQ aside, I can hardly believe this game is running on the Wii. Well, SMG 1&" made me believe Nintendo can do magic in this regard, and SS it's just another proof.
- Nintendo is king when it comes to level design, even Valve can't compete. They've fixed the overworld problem following the steps of SMG: reducing the tedious parts by offering less freedom. I'm not sure it will work as a whole in a Zelda game, but one thing is clear: navigating the enviroments wasn't as fun in a Zelda game since Link's Awakening (OoT 3D world novelty aside). The first dungeon is probably the best first dungeon I can remember of any Zelda.
- I have just seen two items and one of them is pretty fun. That's great, because it's been years since the last fun item in a Zelda game.

Not so sure, will need time:
- Combat. The concept is good, I just find it too slow at the moment. I hope it will feel a bit more organic soon, because as of now, it's just Wii M+ showcase. That said, it works better than I expected.
- Freedom. I don't know if I will miss it or not. At the moment, I'm happy that they've focused the game on being fun again. Although I'm not fond of having freedom as the first casualty. Zelda has always been about losing yourself in a big world... I don't know. Time will tell if it was worth it.
- Story driven game. The story is not that interesting yet, and I have no confidence it will be very good. But since Zelda has always been special, I think it will be special because emotional atachment coming from me rather than an interfesting story coming from the game. We will see.

Now I'm going to watch Minecon. Maybe I will resume at a later date :D

Right.. having a breather since the game has completely fucked me off.

Motion controls STILL don't work 100% of the time. You can't be absolutely certain you will pull of the desired action unless you do it in an exagurated.
Otherwise you end up doing the wrong action far too often.

The first boss fucked me off like nothing.

Right, reply with spoiler box but I need these questions answered -_-

How long will this game take to complete excluding sidequests?
How many dungeons?

Cheers.

Top Bottom