• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Anth0ny

Damn. Lots of bitching about the game in here. How about more good impressions? Slow opening? TP had a slow opening. Not much to do? TP didn't have that much either, way to big of a world for its own good.

We waited 5 years and they didn't even fix a bunch of the annoying shit in from the previous game. Of course there's going to be complaining.

Well, the intro is certainly just as long and as boring as the one in Twilight Princess, but a few things are redeeming it:

1) Art style
2) Soundtrack

I'm seriously impressed by the soundtrack. Gorgeous.

I also appreciated how very very little of the tutoring is there to tell you stuff every Zelda fan already knows. It teaches you the stamina stuff, the swordplay, and the bird. That's it. It just takes ages to teach you those things... :lol

cloudyy

I seriously think I didn't play the same game after reading some of those overblown bitching.
Besides, I had no problems with swimming, combination of analog stick for turning Link when he's immobile and motion oriented swimming felt perfect to me.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
About to visit the Desert area next, which I hear from people is where the game starts getting good. I certainly hope so because I'm eyeing all the 'perfect' scores from reviewers as some kind of water-supply kool-aid infusion catastrophe. Finding too much wrong from text boxes making me want to kill myself to wonky directional waggle sword slashing.

Despite being inspired by Tails Adventure's little remote dawg, the beetle is a terrible gimmick. Moves so slowly and just feels like such lazy dungeon design. Hopefully some better gidgets soon...

Septimius

I thought the opening of the game was great. It felt fresh for a Zelda opening. Unconventional, but still conventional. I enjoyed it a lot.

TheExodu5

Banned
I also appreciated how very very little of the tutoring is there to tell you stuff every Zelda fan already knows.

Really? I'm still getting hammered by tutorial messages 3 hours into the game:

"This is a red rupee, it's worth 20!"
"This is a heart, it fills your heart containers!"

Also, apparently the issue with the loss of calibration was this: I didn't have my sensor bar in sight. You basically have to keep pointing your Wii remote at the sensor bar to keep it calibrated, so make sure you're in a position where you easily see your sensor bar.

The Lamp

I have to stop reading this thread. If I had never seen GAF in my life, I'm sure every game would be the best game ever to me. Lol.

jarosh

Oh, for fuck's sake. Well, that's good knowing. But this will now be the single biggest complaint I'll have about this game. It's not that it's immersion breaking, it's just that it's fucking annoying. Durability of a shield gets low? I often just press down to get Fi to shut up. So annoooying.

And wasn't the biggest complaint about WW duplicated messages when picking up rupees? How did they figure it's a good idea to do the same thing with everything in between play session with this game??
seperate from the well known, annoying and constant BEEPING you get to hear whenever you're low on hearts, fi gets her very own repeating DING on top of it, just so you can press down and she can tell you that "HEY DID YOU KNOW? YOU'RE LOW ON HEARTS! MAYBE YOU SHOULD GET SOME HEARTS!". how awesome is that?

Septimius

seperate from the well known, annoying and constant BEEPING you get to hear whenever you're low on hearts, fi gets her very own repeating DING on top of it, just so you can press down and she can tell you that "HEY DID YOU KNOW? YOU'RE LOW ON HEARTS! MAYBE YOU SHOULD GET SOME HEARTS!". how awesome is that?

Haha, fuck, that never stops? Hilarious.

cloudyy

Don't press down? Why do you press down? It only dings twice IIRC. Also happens when you're low on battery.

jarosh

Haha, fuck, that never stops? Hilarious.
stops? at some point you get an additional message on top of it telling you that you can now dowse for hearts with your sword *wink wink nudge nudge get it you suck at gaming lol y u low on heartz all teh time*

let that sink in for a second: the game wants you to dowse for individual little hearts.

Septimius

I think the bats drop them. At least that's where I got one from.

Yeah, they do. Just go to night time Skyloft and you should get one easily

stops? at some point you get an additional message on top of it telling you that you can now dowse for hearts with your sword *wink wink nudge nudge get it you suck at gaming lol y u low on heartz all teh time*

let that sink in for a second.

Hahaha.

fernoca

Really? I'm still getting hammered by tutorial messages 3 hours into the game:

"This is a red rupee, it's worth 20!"
"This is a heart, it fills your heart containers!"

Also, apparently the issue with the loss of calibration was this: I didn't have my sensor bar in sight. You basically have to keep pointing your Wii remote at the sensor bar to keep it calibrated, so make sure you're in a position where you easily see your sensor bar.
Those aren't tutorial messages, but the same crappy reminder "glitch" that Twilight Princess had. Every time you restart the game, you're reminded that that bug is this or that rupee is worth that, etc. The tutorial in the actual training parts are optional, you're not even forced or asked to train your sword; just pick it and go.

The sensor bar thing can't be, since the game doesn't use the sensor bar/IR; but motions. Is the same problem the Gamespot review noted (and discounted points for). Is probably why they added a "recenter" button, so even if you're pointing all the way up, you can still have the cursor on the center of the screen. Though from what you said earlier, you're playing it on Dolphin, so maybe the emulator requires the sensor bar..somehow, but on the game per se you don't have to point at it..or the screen.

CrisKre

I cannot stress enough how much I love the areas before temples. I hope zelda never goes back to empty over worlds ever again.

are you kidding? those are a deal breaker for a lot of people who like to, you know, play the game. not get stopped by the game every 30 seconds.

The ones for treasure are fucking annoying, and it's real fucking sloppy that they didn't fix that from TP (as has been discussed loads). But having one for the first time you get a heart? It's not an issue. It happens, and then it never happens again. It's nothing.

...In my opinion.

TheExodu5

Banned
The sensor bar thing can't be, since the game doesn't use the sensor bar/IR; but motions. Is the same problem the Gamespot review noted (and discounted points for). Is probably why they added a "recenter" button, so even if you're pointing all the way up, you can still have the cursor on the center of the screen. Though from what you said earlier, you're playing it on Dolphin, so maybe the emulator requires the sensor bar..somehow, but on the game per se you don't have to point at it..or the screen.

The game does use the sensor bar for recalibration. You can do a test to verify this: open the menu and aim your cursor around while covering the front of the Wii remote. It will lose it's centering fairly quickly. Now, remove your hand from the front of the Wii remote while you're aiming it at the sensor bar and notice how it recenters itself on its own!

The same thing happens during sword combat, except there's no "Down to recalibrate" button in that case. The only way to recenter it is to look at the sensor bar.

Why do people hate slow openings in Zelda games? I love running around and taking in the new world and meeting the characters while the story sets itself up. Such fond memories of exploring Ordon village in TP on Wii launch day. ;_;

TheExodu5

Banned
Why do people hate slow openings in Zelda games? I love running around and taking in the new world and meeting the characters while the story sets itself up. Such fond memories of exploring Ordon village in TP on Wii launch day. ;_;

Because the characters are boring and the writing is poor.

Septimius

The game does use the sensor bar for recalibration. You can do a test to verify this: open the menu and aim your cursor around while covering the front of the Wii remote. It will lose it's centering fairly quickly. Now, remove your hand from the front of the Wii remote while you're aiming it at the sensor bar and notice how it recenters itself on its own!

The same thing happens during sword combat, except there's no "Down to recalibrate" button in that case. The only way to recenter it is to look at the sensor bar.

Ah. That makes a lot of sense. Gotta remember that, then

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I've just entered the second dungeon and up to this point, Skyward Sword is simply amazing from my point of view. Overworld design is top notch, dungeon design is even better and the game controls like a charm. I don't know what's up with that Gamespot reviewer but I've yet to run in a single control problem. This is absolutely motion controls done right and I'm definitely not a big fan of motion controls! Having seen ratings as low as 6.5 I really have to wonder: What will happen to this magnificent game later on?

My Wii is setup so that the sensor bar is too far to be seen. When I start the game, I have to stand in the middle of the room to get the IR prompt to work and then just sit back down to play the game.

If it's using the sensor bar to calibrate, then it's somehow getting more space than every other Wii title I've played in that room.

What's the easiest way to earn Rupees in this game? I've completed the second dungeon and did pretty well there, but what's a good way to Rupee-farm? I was thinking of collecting
insects
and selling them. But is there a more efficient method, like going through the extra effort to obtain the
1000-Rupee Wallet and the Cursed Medal
and just equipping that to farm around Skyloft?

Anth0ny

I have to stop reading this thread. If I had never seen GAF in my life, I'm sure every game would be the best game ever to me. Lol.

I thought this too, but I wasn't on GAF when Twilight Princess came out. And the intro was just as long and tedious then as it is now.

On GAF, it's just in words. And being expressed by many angry people :lol

czk

Typical COD gamer
Sorry but I have to ask this again:
to those players who finished SS: if I skip every message from Fi in the dungeon or pre-dungeon areas - will I miss something rellevant to the plot?

My copy is finally shipping but it won't get here 'til Tuesday. :(((( UPS don't work on weekends besides delivering packages on Sat.

I hope everyone here having fun playing this game.

Phenomic

Because the characters are boring and the writing is poor.

Oh man this is just one sentiment I will never get about this game. I was enjoying the interaction between
Link and Zelda like I never have before. Sure it's cheesy and corny and maybe I'm just a sucker for a love plot, but watching them interact was some of the best I've seen in the series.

I was enjoying it so much just running around sky loft and such I wasn't even concerned about getting into the first area. Didn't feel slow at all to me.

Also, I get the complaints about it holding your hand too much, but I didn't notice the issue in the first dungeon. I just never really looked at the map.
Was actually having a hard time beating the boss and doing some of the puzzles in the first dungeon.

TheExodu5

Banned
Oh man this is just one sentiment I will never get about this game. I was enjoying the interaction between
Link and Zelda like I never have before. Sure it's cheesy and corny and maybe I'm just a sucker for a love plot, but watching them interact was some of the best I've seen in the series.
I actually did too. And I will agree, it is charming. Beyond Zelda and Link's interaction though, I find everything about Skyloft pretty boring.

Dude, Are you complaining about the writing in a Zelda game?

I am when it's constantly being forced on me.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Old Zelda games dropped you into a dungeon in the first 5 minutes. New Zeldas are trending at 2-3 hours.

I appreciate some story setup, sure, but there has to be a better middle ground. 30 minutes to an hour should be more than adequate to set up the story points these intros are conveying.

FreeMufasa

This game is just amazing. I think it really shows how different my taste in games have become from the mainstream.

Once again, i'm amazed by all the small (reeeeeeeeeeally small) bits of detail Nintendo have added. Like the merchant guy who gets excited when you come close to him and when you move away without buying anything, becomes upset.

Top Bottom