• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Reknoc

Eeh... what? My health drains insta fast there. I presumed that was a no go til I got an upgrade. So weird. But I'll try it, thanks

The exit you need to take is right to the right as soon as you enter there, it takes a couple of seconds to get out.

Ragus

Banned
Man, soundtrack is really amazing. Fi's theme, Ghiraghim's Theme... just brilliant. I hope that there will be an official release of soundtrack.

Quick question about shields. Please answer with yes/no:

I have wooden and metal shield. But is there a Hyrulean Shield in Skyward Sword?

Aeana

Man, soundtrack is really amazing. Fi's theme, Ghiraghim's Theme... just brilliant. I hope that there will be an official release of soundtrack.

Quick question about shields. Please answer with yes/no:

I have wooden and metal shield. But is there a Hyrulean Shield in Skyward Sword?

Yes.

Ragus

Banned

Thank you.

By the way, I love how this game teases us.
Finding out who is the monster that lives on Skyloft was simply golden. When I saw him, I was like: "WTF how am I supposed to defeat him"? And then we get to know his real intentions.
So good.

cajunator

Banned
I'm going t check Walmart just after midnight on work break.
If it's there I'm going to buy it because my brother wants a copy anyway.
Gamestop will have my copy in the morning too.

Phenomic

So this is going to be a stupid question but I just realize I have no idea how to dismount this bird. Normally anytime I've flown over something it just prompts me, but I found this small floating island with something I want to explore, but there's no dismount button.

TheExodu5

Banned
So this is going to be a stupid question but I just realize I have no idea how to dismount this bird. Normally anytime I've flown over something it just prompts me, but I found this small floating island with something I want to explore, but there's no dismount button.

Down on the D-Pad.

How am I supposed to get those spikey bombs off me when I'm on a tight rope? It says to flick forward to "jostle", but I have no clue what that means, and it just makes me fall to the side.

Ragus

Banned
Down on the D-Pad.

How am I supposed to get those spikey bombs off me when I'm on a tight rope? It says to flick forward to "jostle", but I have no clue what that means, and it just makes me fall to the side.

Do some waggle in the front and rear direction. Bombs will fall from the rope.

Reknoc

Down on the D-Pad.

I think the idea is that you shake the tight rope to make the enemies lose their balance. I've never been able to stay on the rope while doing it, but you can still do it while hanging on.

TheExodu5

Banned
These sword controls are absolutely atrocious. I'd try the game on the Wii to see if it's any better than Dolphin, but I don't feel like slogging through 30 minutes of intro to get a sword again.

dock

14kjy1z.jpg

Once you see the screaming bear face texture, you can't un-see it.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
It must be a Dolphin issue. I aim and the shot goes waaaay up and to the right of where I aim.

Turn off Skip EFB Access to CPU, problem solved, though you make take a hit in performance which you can fix by lowering the AA or resolution, but youll at least have perfect aiming.

Aeana

These sword controls are absolutely atrocious. I'd try the game on the Wii to see if it's any better than Dolphin, but I don't feel like slogging through 30 minutes of intro to get a sword again.

Is there some reason why the save wouldn't transfer?

TheExodu5

Banned
Turn off Skip EFB Access to CPU, problem solved, though you make take a hit in performance which you can fix by lowering the AA or resolution, but youll at least have perfect aiming.

Thanks!

Is there some reason why the save wouldn't transfer?

Not sure how to transfer. I guess I'll have to look into it. I'm doubting I'll see any improvement. The main issue with the controls is that to do an accurate strike, you need to be in the right starting position. The problem is that if you move to that starting position too quickly, Motion Plus interprets that as a swing and you don't swing in the right direction. If you go too slowly, enemies often react and block in that direction before you have a chance to swing. Compound that with the fact that the controls gets decalibrated quite often, unless you're always looking at the sensor bar (I'm sitting 3 feet from my TV, which makes that difficult), and it makes the controls rather frustrating.

Left/right strikes aren't too hard, but the top-down strike is very unreliable for me.

Red

UPS said my game shipped from Cleveland at 7:11 this morning. I live 20 minutes away. It's now 7:10 pm. I was waiting all day for it to arrive, but nothing :(

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, Orayn and I have bummed a ride off of his roomate to get out to GameStop tomorrow morning. No waiting in the middle of winter for a bus for me!

Ug..guess I'll take my chances at a midnight release at walmart. Guess I'll leave at around 11 (its currently 6)

I hope they have it. And I hope they have the collector's edition because I don't know if I can resist it if they only have the standard edition. I want dat wiimote!

If not I have to wait till 11, ELEVEN AM before GameStop opens.

I got the last Zelda at midnight. Someone better let me get this Zelda at midnight to. Next thing ya know and they won't even have a midnight launch for Wii U bah!

So I finished dungeon 5 earlier...
Fi:"I anticipate a 100% chance of spoilers for the 5th dungeon within the following text, I suggest you don't highlight if you don't wish to be spoiled, if you want to be spoiled use the dousing highlight function"

Okay this took in dungeon backtracking to a new level, I really didn't like this dungeon, the setting was good but the amount of times you have to run back and forth through the same corridors borders on painful, at times the main gimmick with the time switch was reminiscent of the crystal switches from the top down Zelda games and I don't mean that as a positive, mini boss and dungeon boss were great though. Dungeon 4 and 2 are easily in the lead for me so far. Fi has finally stepped into annoying with this dungeon "hey Link the boss door is down here just so you know even though you've run past it multiple times already" or "there's a 99% chance that you can fire that bow and hit a switch! as in this switch right here, no need to use your own eyes for they have a 33.3% chance of missing the target but i'm a robot so that gives me a 66.6% chance of .....*more babble*"

I'm feeling very ho-hum with this Zelda so far, it's not bad at all but it's not giving off a great vibe either, it just feels kind of "there" for me, there's always time for a turn around I guess.

I sat down and tested the "game recognizes movement as a slash" thing.

I've never had it confuse movement as a slash and I don't think I'm moving too slow.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Can someone who's played the game talk about the rupee issue that made me want to blow my ass out my eyesockets during Twilight Princess?

Specifically, how the game wouldn't let you collect a rupee chest if you were already maxed out and you'd have to put on the magic armor and drain a few away so you could get it? What is the max rupee limit this time? Can we pick them up even if we're maxed? TELL ME ABOUT THE RU-PEE-OHHHHHHHs

Can someone who's played the game talk about the rupee issue that made me want to blow my ass out my eyesockets during Twilight Princess?

Specifically, how the game wouldn't let you collect a rupee chest if you were already maxed out and you'd have to put on the magic armor and drain a few away so you could get it? What is the max rupee limit this time? Can we pick them up even if we're maxed? TELL ME ABOUT THE RU-PEE-OHHHHHHHs

Yeah, you'll get the rupee and empty the chest. And it will be a complete waste if you're maxed, giving you nothing. Pretty silly, no option to put it back.

klier

I've played for 10 hours, just finished the second temple (the one where it is pretty 'hot', that's the second one right?

Either way....best Zelda ever? I absolutely love it! Will it get even better???

Also, those graphics are so nice!! I haven't played a Wii game since Galaxy 2, and have been on the HD twins only....but this art direction and everything Nintendo has done? DAMN! I can't imagine what they will do with WiiU hardware. Truly can't.

RyanDG

I'm feeling very ho-hum with this Zelda so far, it's not bad at all but it's not giving off a great vibe either, it just feels kind of "there" for me, there's always time for a turn around I guess.

My problem has been that I shouldn't have been trying to play Zelda just after Dark Souls and in between bouts of Skyrim. I should've tried to space the game out further. I'm probably going to be putting it down for a bit and coming back to it next month. It's just not working for me at this moment (possible fantasy overload I guess).

Red

Why isn't Gamestop doing midnight for this.

What I want to know is how they shipped my game yesterday, and it was sent out for delivery this morning, but is not scheduled to arrive until Monday at 3 p.m. :(

It was sent out less than half an hour away, at 7 this morning. Why would it take so long to get here, with one day air? Where is it being held?

You make it sound as though you want what we are blessed to have lost. Praise the maker.

What Zelda could learn from Bioware.

Cosmozone

Damn, GAF went down just as I wanted to post impressions. But better late than never. I finished the first dungeon, couldn't play more since then.

It is a weird mixture of old and new elements actually. I originally wanted dungeons to blend into the overworld. It doesn't look like it so far, but instead, the overworld sections are very dungeon-like with activating shortcuts etc. That's enjoyable, too although I'm not that hyped about the concept yet. There's also much variety in the surroundings at the expense of larger seamless areas (Skyloft being the exception so far). I feel indifferent about this. It quite doesn't feel like a consistent world I always wanted, however I greatly enjoyed the vast amount of imagination going into the different environments. I especially liked the
amphitheater
like structure you first land in, although there are valid reasons why people might find it boring.

The graphics are great, especially the surroundings with so much details. Just looking around inside a house is pure joy. Together with the variety there's not much to complain about. I'd have preferred a normal DOF effect though instead of the painting like effect they used. It's a very unique idea and I commend the developers for it, but it just doesn't work that well for me. I wish I could see farther, so to speak.

However, gameplay and level design are the two things that I enjoyed most. Very good pacing so far. The intro sections play into this as well. I feel it's a big theme in Zelda games and especially in Skyword Sword to present a very carefully thought out learning curve to tackle problems. I didn't think the first hours were boring like some others, instead I think it just feels that way for an experienced gamer because of all being a cakewalk, the difficulty ramp isn't noticeable yet. But it's actually there. It begins with a basic obstacle course, then there's a small cave (mini-dungeon along with a mini-puzzle), then comes a slightly harder obstacle course, etc. It's actually enjoyable to follow that learning curve although there isn't much to learn at first. But later it gets harder.

The first dungeon is a great example, I liked it more than other first dungeons, aside of the fact that you get a cool item there. E.g. look at the
eye puzzles
. They're very similar, but in each iteration a new cool variety is added. Although not very hard, discovering a new aspect of the same problem just makes you happy. And wow at the
Skulltulas
. Discovering more and more ways to defeat a single enemy type is just a very enjoyable experience, since you're actually solving a set of mini-puzzles. So I'm having big hopes for the rest of the game. With the combat in general, it's a similar situation. Motion controls feel awkward at first but you get more and more used to them. The difficulty is reportedly going to be definitely higher than in previous iterations and I definitely felt it already. Got actually a couple of game overs at the first boss fight. But it was great fun.

So overall it's a truly great game as expected. I'm not super-flashed by it like Super Mario Galaxy did back then, but that happens very rarely anyway. No Zelda game managed that so far. But it's an interesting thing with Zeldas, that each iteration has its own strengths and weaknesses and the games feel different and similar at the same time, which is making them so addictive. There are some old and new antics I could do without (e.g. bottomless chasms / small bug: when selecting an aiming item, the crosshairs are centered while your controller is still pointing sideways), but other than that an awesome experience so far.

FreeMufasa

Oh wow. So I went to Eldin Mountain which was like a temple. I then dived down a whole which was like a mini-temple. After that I scaled a sand like dungeon thing which finally lead me to the Earth Temple.

Nintendo really weren't kidding when they send dungeons in dungeons within dungeons. I love it!

Zeth

Without a preorder will I be able to get a bundle with motion plus? Or what's the most cost-effective way to get the game+motion plus? I'm buying it to play on a family member's Wii who doesn't own a motion plus controller, while I'm visiting for thxgiving (it's not as weird as it sounds).

klier

Oh wow. So I went to Eldin Mountain which was like a temple. I then dived down a whole which was like a mini-temple. After that I scaled a sand like dungeon thing which finally lead me to the Earth Temple.

Nintendo really weren't kidding when they send dungeons in dungeons within dungeons. I love it!

So true! I just finished that temple myself. Amazing game! Hope it gets better, even!

BTW, I'm playing the game on a fairly small Samsung LCD with component hooked up, and those graphics in the Earth Temple just blew me away.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Without a preorder will I be able to get a bundle with motion plus? Or what's the most cost-effective way to get the game+motion plus? I'm buying it to play on a family member's Wii who doesn't own a motion plus controller, while I'm visiting for thxgiving (it's not as weird as it sounds).

No pre-order required for bundle. So yes you can.

Top Bottom