• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Montresor

You, my friend, are probably the dumbest man I've ever seen using the spoiler tag. The dumbest.

I haven't played the game yet, but I don't see what was wrong with spoilering that. Granted, I don't have any idea what the dungeon is like, but maybe some people would consider it a spoiler if they found out
the story requires you to re-visit a dungeon
. And please don't abuse me - I haven't played the game yet and I don't know if what I spoilered is a legitimate spoiler. I'm just playing devil's advocate for the guy that you were so mean to, haha.

You, my friend, are probably the dumbest man I've ever seen using the spoiler tag. The dumbest.

That really was quite awful. I feel like there needs to be a GAF tutorial on how to use spoiler tagging. Also when to use spoiler tagging cuz I've had some pretty crucial things just blurted out and then quoted multiple times.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I would love this game so much more if I could just go through faster or skip the text altogether. I don't need to hear about needing a longer sword or I found a monster claw or someone is a secret romance yet again.

Oh wow, BY FAR the fastest way to earn money is
by farming Volcanic Ladybugs near the water spring on the Volcano Summit, where you need to get the water for the entrance to the Fire Sanctuary.
Just enter this area and directly to the right are 0 - 4 Ladybugs, catch them and re-enter the area. Rinse and repeat.
You can get over 20 Ladybugs per minute and sell them to Stricht for a fortune!

Ah, thanks for that. Normally I don't care about farming money/items/souls, but I really just want to get past the damn bigger wallets already.

Rich!

OK, I'm stuck. 2nd area, got to the bit where
you need to run along the bone bridge quickly, and do something with the hole in the wall the lava is spewing out of.
No idea what to do. Help please

I got stuck there. You need to
stand at one end, and roll a bomb ALL THE WAY DOWN

it's fucking difficult.

Why would you highlight a spoiler tag if you're that afraid of spoilers? Why are you even in this thread? There's less than 24 hours left!

I haven't highlight a single spoiler yet. Except that one. But I already knew that, and I don't consider that a spoiler.

Everyone already knows that you are not wandering around dungeon 1
, the first time
, 15 hours into the game. I already knew about this spoiler but there can only be a few possibilities as to why he's still there.

Rich!

Wut? :lol That's some crap. Thanks guys. And where have avatars gone D:

heh no idea

but yeah, that part pissed me off so much. spent an hour running around like an idiot, getting frustrated before I worked it out. oh, and that music was doing my fucking head in. gaaaaaah

Currently at
The Shipyard
, and so far it's my 2nd fav 3D Zelda (after MM). This game aside from the first hour or so is amazingly put together.

Major complaints:

-Never ending, intrusive and spammed text pop-ups, tired of this shit. I don't give a shit about any of it and most of it makes me just want to not play. 99% probability that Nintendo needs to ditch this bullshit and at least give the option to bypass 99% of it, MGS-style.

-Motion control swordplay would have been better with a stick and button, period. You get the circular direction on a stick and press the attack button. It would have felt faster, more precise and lost every bit of the issues from the controller not recognizing the intent to reposition vs. initiate an attack (ex. going from a top right diagonal position to a bottom left position and the game instead does the top right diagonal attack, instead of repositioning). Rarely happens, but when it does it breaks my enjoyment.

-Needless crap fetch quests. To add insult to injury their forced, boring, repetitive and predictable. Zelda team can do a lot better than this, surely they understand the need to create a pace and flow without resorting to this shallow fallback. Where the Silent Realm could have been fun, instead it was forced and I just wanted it to be over.

Minor complaints:

-Sky area is just underutilized and bland, and the "islands" are a total step down in every way from MM/WW/TP in terms of stuff to do and places to hold your interest.

-Well, the obligatory text pop-up every time you boot the game is still present, and still completely stupid. Another subtle aspect that ruins immersion for me, I end up spamming the A button wanting it to end.

-Fi is a dumb sidekick, enough said. Had they been able to inject consistent and real humor into her it would have been a different story. She comes off as sterile, boring and annoying.

-Artstyle isn't what it should have been, and it's really hit and miss. Some parts look ripped straight out of TP, while the sky and certain textures retain the artstyle, it's just inconsistent. They really needed to do a whole new engine to bring it to life imo.

-Music is hit and miss too, some pieces sound great, others are completely forgettable.

-Character archetypes are copy/pasted from OoT onward, and it's getting a bit old, as are their copy pasta'd sound effects.

Anyway, that's the mean stuff I'm sure there will be more to come but that's off the top of my head. I'll post what I enjoyed a bit later.

Septimius

My only problem with the game so far is that THERE ARE SO MANY WAYS OF TELLING YOU WHAT TO DO NEXT!

I literally found a stone saying "you'll find the map in a room with two <things> in it" in 'riddle'. Really? You had to point that out to me? I couldn't just walk past the next door and opened the chest?. I'm sure if I had called Fi, she'd tell me what this probably meant, or even point out the room that met the requirement.

The map is just littered, too. It could might as well just be a full guide at this point. Showing where the switches are - really?

I feel like a kid in a special class with all this help. Shieka(?) stones. Signs everywhere saying in a stupid riddle what to do next. I spend more time bending my mind around the stupid riddle than doing what I should do. I actually figure out the riddle, when I figure out where to go next.

Maybe this is just the first dungeon, but I guess the map will stay the same. I miss the times when not even chests were marked on the map, albeit that's arguably useful.

Montresor

Okay, I get it now... In that case, yeah, the way Spiffy used the spoiler tag was dumb as hell. He did not actually block the spoiler in his post.

McNum

Am I the only one not bothered by all the help?

Fi makes me feel less lonely while playing this game.
I like Fi, too. She's he most helpful assistant in a Zelda game yet. Too helpful, perhaps. "This is a Skultula. Your battle performance against these is a little weak." Gee, thanks, Fi. I know I had trouble figuring them out...

She has her funny moments, too. She has no situational sense at all. Just popping out of the sword and scaring everyone like that. Maybe she gets annoying later, but so far, I like her.

My only problem with the game so far is that THERE ARE SO MANY WAYS OF TELLING YOU WHAT TO DO NEXT!

The map is just littered, too. It could might as well just be a full guide at this point. Showing where the switches are - really?

Maybe this is just the first dungeon, but I guess the map will stay the same.
That was one of the recommendations i made some days ago. If you are a veteran player do not open the map, it ruins exploration and to some extent the puzzles. Use it as the last resort.

Edit: I'll go as far as to sugest that don't read the stones in the temples. Theres another one that ruins the puzzle even more than the first dungeon.

jarosh

I literally found a stone saying "you'll find the map in a room with two <things> in it" in 'riddle'. Really? You had to point that out to me? I couldn't just walk past the next door and opened the chest?. I'm sure if I had called Fi, she'd tell me what this probably meant, or even point out the room that met the requirement.

I feel like a kid in a special class with all this help. Shieka(?) stones. Signs everywhere saying in a stupid riddle what to do next. I spend more time bending my mind around the stupid riddle than doing what I should do. I actually figure out the riddle, when I figure out where to go next.

Maybe this is just the first dungeon, but I guess the map will stay the same. I miss the times when not even chests were marked on the map, albeit that's arguably useful.
nope. it actually gets worse. puzzles are ruined up until the very last dungeon through fi's constant blabbering.

Rich!

I'm dissapointed that
hero mode
only reduces hearts/increases amount of damage. Why doesn't it get rid of all the hints and reduce the map?!?!

Zekes!

-Motion control swordplay would have been better with a stick and button, period. You get the circular direction on a stick and press the attack button. It would have felt faster, more precise and lost every bit of the issues from the controller not recognizing the intent to reposition vs. initiate an attack (ex. going from a top right diagonal position to a bottom left position and the game instead does the top right diagonal attack, instead of repositioning). Rarely happens, but when it does it breaks my enjoyment.

Regardless if the motion controlled controls work or not, this sounds terrible.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
nope. it actually gets worse. puzzles are ruined up until the very last dungeon through fi's constant blabbering.
Do you feel obliged to request her hints? I was stuck over 30mn in the mining temple and didn't feel the need to ask for her advice. I don't get this complaint :/

Regardless if the motion controlled controls work or not, this sounds terrible.

Aside from the forward thrust, it would feel faster and more responsive if you think about it. Personally not a fan of either idea, I'd prefer a meshing of traditional Zelda combat with lots of injection of Demon's souls and Bayonetta. I could go into detail, but yeah I think the combat needs to be totally retooled.

CrisKre

Got it yesterday and have been playing for ten hours. This is so far the best zelda yet for me. The level of polish here is ridiculous. I do not understand people saying there is no exploration here. This game is nothing but exploration within the areas! The most notable thing for me so far is that it imo brings the type of exploration found on say a link tothe past to 3 d zelda like no other game before it. The moments I got stuck, upon finding what I was looking for, I felt like in the 2 d games that the answer was right in front of me but not in an obvious way. Fi s help is being greatly exaggerated here too. I like her.

The opening is certainly lengthy but never boring imo.

All in all thus game is amazing.

Motion controlled swimming is just horrible, everything about the water sections in the game frustrates me, it feels so cumbersome and it's the main motion control flaw so far for me, fortunately the
fourth
dungeon was pretty good regardless of fidgety swimming.
Having just done the
second tear collecting/Goddess trial
i'm very pleased to say that they finally got these sections done right after the last 3 Zelda games experimented similar concepts with usually shaky results.

jarosh

Do you feel obliged to request her hints? I was stuck over 30mn in the mining temple and didn't feel the need to ask for her advice. I don't get this complaint :/
huh? i have never once asked her for a single hint. you walk into a room and BEFORE YOU GET A CHANCE to figure out the crucial piece of a puzzle on your own she tells you exactly what to do. this happens way too much and has ruined a fair amount of puzzles for me.

Motion controlled swimming is just horrible, everything about the water sections in the game frustrates me, it feels so cumbersome and it's the main motion control flaw so far for me, fortunately the
fourth
dungeon was pretty good regardless of fidgety swimming.
Having just done the
second tear collecting/Goddess trial
i'm very pleased to say that they finally got these sections done right after the last 3 Zelda games experimented similar concepts with usually shaky results.

I don't understand why swimming and bird flying has to be motion controlled, outside of "hey look, you're playing a Wii game!"

I don't understand why swimming and bird flying has to be motion controlled, outside of "hey look, you're playing a Wii game!"

I was thinking very much the same thing, though i've got used to the bird so that's not as big a problem but I really have no idea what they were thinking with the swimming, there is so much wrong with it that it's not even entirely the fault of motion controls, it's like they went and took the Super Mario Galaxy swimming approach and then did their best to sabotage it.

Flying is pretty great. Swooping around like that is the most fun I've had getting around in a game since Spider-Man 2. Although my idea of using the Master Sword as some kind of weird jetpack would have been much cooler :(

Like a poster already told you she does some auto spoiling of her own. But expanding on the comment, sometimes you get near to a closed boss door, Fi stops the action to tell you something along the lines of: "theres 85% possibility theres something important behind that door" or "the door needs a key to open", a similar thing happens at one time when you see a chest contaning the boss key.

Anth0ny

Flying is pretty great. Swooping around like that is the most fun I've had getting around in a game since Spider-Man 2. Although my idea of using the Master Sword as some kind of weird jetpack would have been much cooler :(

Except the part where you have to waggle like an idiot.

And wait 6 hours for the bird's carrots to regenerate.

Septimius

Oh, for fuck's sake. Well, that's good knowing. But this will now be the single biggest complaint I'll have about this game. It's not that it's immersion breaking, it's just that it's fucking annoying. Durability of a shield gets low? I often just press down to get Fi to shut up. So annoooying.

And wasn't the biggest complaint about WW duplicated messages when picking up rupees? How did they figure it's a good idea to do the same thing with everything in between play session with this game??

RPGCrazied

Damn. Lots of bitching about the game in here. How about more good impressions? Slow opening? TP had a slow opening. Not much to do? TP didn't have that much either, way to big of a world for its own good.

I think for me Fi is going to be the deal breaker between my favorite Zelda, and actually that is Twilight Princess. All the other negativity I've heard about this game doesn't phase me one bit.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well, the intro is certainly just as long and as boring as the one in Twilight Princess, but a few things are redeeming it:

1) Art style
2) Soundtrack

I'm seriously impressed by the soundtrack. Gorgeous.

Top Bottom