• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

I think it's the best Zelda soundtrack I've heard to date. That's just a very early impression, though. The instrumentation is beautiful.

My problem is I just don't think it's very catchy. The actual instruments and the sample quality is high, but I don't remember any songs.

So I've just finished the second dungeon.

Both this one and the first were good, but very short. I understand they are introductory ones, but do they get longer over the game? I love the feeling of going deeper and deeper into a dungeon and so far the first two ones have lacked that completely.

RetroMG

Old Zelda games dropped you into a dungeon in the first 5 minutes. New Zeldas are trending at 2-3 hours.

I appreciate some story setup, sure, but there has to be a better middle ground. 30 minutes to an hour should be more than adequate to set up the story points these intros are conveying.

I was thinking about this and decided to break it down.

Zelda 1 & 2: Yes, you could go into a dungeon within five minutes, assuming you knew where they were. Zelda 2 was better about this than Zelda 1, but neither exactly took you by the hand and led you in. Honestly, I know several people who put several hours of playtime into Zelda 1 before going to the first dungeon, as it's easily possible to get the Blue Ring and Level 2 sword before going in, which makes the first half of the game really easy.

Link to the Past: Yes, you are literally in a dungeon within five minutes.

Ocarina of Time: From the time you start, you have to get the sword and get enough rupees to buy a Deku shield before Mido will let you in. Depending on your level of familiarity with the game, I would estimate fifteen to forty five minutes.

Majora's Mask: I honestly don't remember that well, as I have only played it once, but it would also depend on what you call a dungeon. If we're talking about getting to the first temple, that's a lot of time. If you're talking about the little obstacle course to get to Clock Town, not so much.

Wind Waker: Again, it's been a while, and it depends. If you're talking about going to rescue Tetra, not so long. If you mean going to get Aryll from the Pirate Fortress, that's another story.

Twilight Princess: Holy crap that takes way too long.

Skyward Sword: Personally, I think this one feels very right. Yes, it's a little long, but I think taking the extra time to develop a relationship with Zelda makes you feel more connected to her, rather than "Link, you must rescue the princess because it is your density hurr hurr."

fernoca

The game does use the sensor bar for recalibration. You can do a test to verify this: open the menu and aim your cursor around while covering the front of the Wii remote. It will lose it's centering fairly quickly. Now, remove your hand from the front of the Wii remote while you're aiming it at the sensor bar and notice how it recenters itself on its own!

The same thing happens during sword combat, except there's no "Down to recalibrate" button in that case. The only way to recenter it is to look at the sensor bar.

Yeah, it seems to use both... but you don't have to point directly at it. You said "You basically have to keep pointing your Wii remote at the sensor bar to keep it calibrated".

It seems to track some information (i.e. where's the center of the person playing). Kinda similar to most PS Move games, were you're asked to determine your own center by aiming at the corners of the screen and then at the center..in that case there's no sensor bar but an RGB camera); but the key is to do so from were you're playing/aiming and not point directly to it. Which is the mistake many do on Move games and Wii games. When asked to point at the center or someplace, the first thing many do is raise their arm and point at the center of the screen.

You can play the entire game with the hand just resting in your lap and pointing from there, not keep pointing at the sensor bar it all the time.

This article mentions how the game uses both and even recommends some to cover the IR from the Wii Remote with either duct tape or just a finger if there are light sources that may cause interference; and how he even had a better experience when it comes to some of the controls.

Old Zelda games dropped you into a dungeon in the first 5 minutes. New Zeldas are trending at 2-3 hours.

I appreciate some story setup, sure, but there has to be a better middle ground. 30 minutes to an hour should be more than adequate to set up the story points these intros are conveying.
This one is under an hour; juts one person said it took him 3 hours to arrive to the first dungeon.

Rich!

So I've just finished the second dungeon.

Both this one and the first were good, but very short. I understand they are introductory ones, but do they get longer over the game? I love the feeling of going deeper and deeper into a dungeon and so far the first two ones have lacked that completely.

Yep. The next two are immense.

Either way, you gotta bear in mind that the overworld sections are essentially dungeons too

Synless

Does anyone know if Walmart is carrying the LE version of this game? I have it preordered, but I want to get it at midnight instead.

Christopher

I'm not touching this game until Christmas, but quick question guys is this better than Twilight Princess more like the n64 ones or more like TP...

I'm not touching this game until Christmas, but quick question guys is this better than Twilight Princess more like the n64 ones or more like TP...

It's like Phantom Hourglass. *trollface*

I dunno, it's not much like TP. It's very much its own thing. I'm not far into it so can't say if it's better than TP, but the opening 6 hours or so sure are.

Yep. The next two are immense.

Either way, you gotta bear in mind that the overworld sections are essentially dungeons too
True, but I still like going into a big dungeon. The pre-dungeon sections are great, but they don't feel like dungeons. It's a different kind of satisfaction.

That's why I'm a bit disappointed the first two took me like 40 mins.

Thanks hirokazu, found it.

Oh wow, BY FAR the fastest way to earn money is
by farming Volcanic Ladybugs near the water spring on the Volcano Summit, where you need to get the water for the entrance to the Fire Sanctuary.
Just enter this area and directly to the right are 0 - 4 Ladybugs, catch them and re-enter the area. Rinse and repeat.
You can get over 20 Ladybugs per minute and sell them to Stricht for a fortune!

Much obliged!

The game isn't as good as TP outside of the dungeons and the lead up to them.

The dungeons are just as good as the series has ever been, and the structure of having a bit more involvement before getting to the dungeon varies from excellent (dungeon 3/5) to shit (1/2/4)

The game isn't as good as TP outside of the dungeons and the lead up to them.

The dungeons are just as good as the series has ever been, and the structure of having a bit more involvement before getting to the dungeon varies from excellent (dungeon 3/5) to shit (1/2/4)
It seems like, outside of Ocarina, you can never have that perfect Zelda game where the overworld, dungeons and story are all great.

You have great gameplay and dungeons in this game, but a shit overworld (the sky) and a not so great story.

It's still a fantastic game, but if it had a stronger story and was set in a huge Hyrule it would undoubtedly topple Ocarina.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I have a question about the road up to dungeon 2.
I need to collect parts of a key, and 3 of those are easily found in the area nearby, only then you're blocked by heat. I went back a bit and found a bombable wall which should lead to a key part, but the bombs seems to be too far away to hit the rocks. There's not enough time to roll or throw it close enough. Is there a trick I'm missing?

Thinking about taking my chances and going to walmart at midnight and picking up SS. Anyone done a midnight game run before at Walmart? I just don't want to waste my time and them not having it on the shelf after midnight.

CrisKre

It seems like, outside of Ocarina, you can never have that perfect Zelda game where the overworld, dungeons and story are all great.

You have great gameplay and dungeons in this game, but a shit overworld (the sky) and a not so great story.

It's still a fantastic game, but if it had a stronger story and was set in a huge Hyrule it would undoubtedly topple Ocarina.

I disagree. I think the combination of sky plus underworld segments are the best zelda world with a link to the past. It's like having the great sea and ALSO an amazingly rich over world.

jarosh

there is so much fantastic music in the game. sadly, almost none of it is found in the dungeons. i really really dug the many themes with celtic touches this time around. i think that might be a first for a zelda game. it's just a shame they got so few of the dungeon themes right. some of them are downright irritating.

I disagree. I think the combination of sky plus underworld segments are the best zelda world with a link to the past. It's like having the great sea and ALSO an amazingly rich over world.

I get why some like it, but I hated the sea in Wind Waker and this is basically that but in the sky, so yeah. Not my thing.

But with that said I'm very early on still, so maybe the rest will blow me away so much I can overlook that. Who knows!

spekkeh

Banned
Just sampled a bit of the game, I'm still too invested in Skyrim to really start playing it, but I couldn't wait. Oh my, the aliasing is really something that needs getting used to. Twilight Princess often felt like you were looking through condensation on a window, but the opposite is not much better.

Luckily I already have too much of a crush on Zelda for it to matter.

spekkeh

Banned
Breaking Dawn Part 1 was so relentlessly entertaining and now ZELDA

OfficeReactionGif.gif

Reknoc

The only thing I dislike about the Overworld so far is that the sky is just not... pretty. It doesn't really feel quite as alive as the sea in Wind Waker, which is a shame because navigating it is much better with booster rings, not having to change the wind, and the islands being closer together. The Underworld stuff is great though, really a lot of fun to get through.

After playing OoT3D I found out I hate the games overworld, Hyrule Field is really boring, way too big and empty. Same goes for Lake Hylia. The other bits were alright though (like the river leading to Zora's Domain).

Edit: Actually the islands mostly kinda suck, so there's a pretty big negative!

AniHawk

i don't get how rage gets a midnight release, but skyward sword doesn't. especially when it's a saturday/sunday night and not during the week.

Ragus

Banned
First dungeon was ... let's say that it wasn't the best Zelda dungeon in the series. However, the second one was sweet.

I hope, that it will get even better.

fernoca

From what I remember about Gamestop midnight launches, in most cases is a combination of factors.

In some cases each store can do them if they want; in others is enforced. One side, there's a budget that is related to the overtime of the individual employees, security, etc. and if that store's is willing to pay that or has enough to do so. In others, there's a budget already set for those; which is why in those cases they even advertise it all over the place while in the case of "group 1" is in a per-store-basis.

There are other things like incentives and additional stuff involved; is no sign of Zelda doing well or not been received well. So yeah, in this case; call and ask if they're doing it. They have done midnight launches for Wii/Nintendo stuff in the past (and this year); so is not like they hate Nintendo or their games.

Plus keeping in mind that Black Friday is in a few days, so some stores need the overtime and extra hours in a few days.

RedSwirl

i don't get how rage gets a midnight release, but skyward sword doesn't. especially when it's a saturday/sunday night and not during the week.

That's what's pissing me off the most. I actually have to wake up on Tuesday mornings but I was totally ready to do Zelda and pretty much not go to sleep at all tonight.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I have a question about the road up to dungeon 2.
I need to collect parts of a key, and 3 of those are easily found in the area nearby, only then you're blocked by heat. I went back a bit and found a bombable wall which should lead to a key part, but the bombs seems to be too far away to hit the rocks. There's not enough time to roll or throw it close enough. Is there a trick I'm missing?

This was a bad bit of game design I felt. You can't bomb that wall from that side, you need to go through part of the "my clothes are on fucking fire" area.

First dungeon was ... let's say that it wasn't the best Zelda dungeon in the series. However, the second one was sweet.

I hope, that it will get even better.

I actually really liked the Skyview Temple, moreso than the Earth Temple, but, yeah, the dungeon quality skyrockets in the third onwards. I'm halfway through the fifth, and it may be one of my favourites in the series.

The bossfights in this game... my God. Without a shadow of a doubt, the best in the series.
Particularly Koloktos and the Imprisoned. Both really epic, for want of a better word. Stealing Koloktos' sword and taking him out at the legs was excellent fun.

Reknoc

This was a bad bit of game design I felt. You can't bomb that wall from that side, you need to go through part of the "my clothes are on fucking fire" area.

That section was my first death because I'm stupid and didn't see the obvious exit to the very right of the area and ran around like a twat until hot hands of a firery death embraced me. Though I was maybe doing something wrong but the map made it very obvious where I needed to go.

Hiltz

Below is pretty much all I remember from Twilight Princess and Wind Waker's OST. Hopefully, Skyward Sword will have has many memorable tracks.

(in no particular order)

Wind Waker

- Outset Island
- Great Sea ( sailing theme)
- Dragon Roost Isle
- Grandma theme
- Pirate Ship theme
- Hyrule Castle
- Boss Clear Fanfare
- Windfall Island
- Medli's Awakening
- Ganondorf theme
- Farewell Hyrule King
- Main theme/ Ending theme

Twilight Princess

- Main theme (from the trailer)
- Hyrule Field
- Kakariko Village
- Light Spirit
- King Bulbin theme
- Lake Hylia
- Death Mountain
- Queen Rutela
- River mini game theme
- Gerudo Desert
- Dark Beast Ganon
- Malo Mart
- Sacred Grove
- Hidden Village
- Ending Theme

Gregorn

The bossfights in this game... my God. Without a shadow of a doubt, the best in the series.
Particularly Koloktos and the Imprisoned. Both really epic, for want of a better word. Stealing Koloktos' sword and taking him out at the legs was excellent fun.

You can hit his legs!? I just ran around waiting for him to hit the floor.

I've actually got close to dying on a few bosses, which is a huge step up from TP's bosses that don't even have attacks. I love it when I attack something 3 times and it doesn't die, it's like Nintendo noticed that fighting is more fun when it lasts longer than 5 seconds.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Eeh... what? My health drains insta fast there. I presumed that was a no go til I got an upgrade. So weird. But I'll try it, thanks

Top Bottom