• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

oatmeal

Banned
3d dot game heroes might not have had great stuff, but i thought it was pretty good. you've probably already played it though, iirc.

thanks for the impressions/spoiler-free review.

I really enjoyed 3DDGH.

Really fun game, captured Zelda perfectly. No bullshit, just go go go.

Majora

Ok so I'm about halfway through the third dungeon and I've turned it off for the night. I have to say, the concept of this whole area was awesome, though I did find the build-up area dragged a little bit. I haven't really given any impressions yet so I'll just make some now. I should probably clarify that I am enjoying it, because otherwise this is going to sound really negative.

The biggest bummer for me in this game is the overworld, or rather the lack of. Simply, it feels like Skyloft is just kinda there, and then I'm exploring 3 separate levels down below. Good levels, but it doesn't feel like a world, an actual location, like Hyrule or Termina or The Great Sea. I miss that more than I thought I would. It wouldn't be so bad if the sky was any good, but it isn't. It's Wind Waker with the great atmosphere and sense of discovery stripped out, while Skyloft itself is mundane. There's the occasional sidequest in Skyloft, which seems to be progression triggered, but otherwise there's very little to do there. Worse, at night Skyloft is inhabited by low-level monsters like bats, which means everyone is in their house. This really sucks because I love exploring Zelda towns at night; they usually have a very different atmosphere, with different people out and about doing different things, but you don't get that here, just a load of crappy monsters. You can still go and talk to people in their house but it's not the same as exploring Windfall/Clock Town/Kakariko Village at night. As the only town in the game, Skyloft has seriously disappointed me. Even Twilight Princess was better in this regard.

The dungeons so far have been enjoyable. I understand the third dungeon is where the game really starts to take off so I'll refrain from commenting too much on them. So far they've been easy but solid. The pre-dungeon areas are interesting but not quite as evolutionary as I expected. I got the impression the dungeons and the overworld were going to be more fluidly intertwined but they aren't really. The dungeon is still a very obviously separate entity. It's just that now you have a long, linear path up to the dungeon which has some puzzles in it, though these puzzles don't seem as good as the one's in the dungeon. It's not really what I was anticipating, as I expected something more along the lines of the ice mansion from TP, or just, say, the woods themselves being the dungeon, rather than a prelude. For all the talk of making it hard to tell whether you're in a dungeon or not, the game does actually feel very rigidly segmented to me - you have the sky, the pre-dungeon path, and then the dungeon.

I'm generally happy with the controls. I occasionally have to recalibrate but it's nothing major, it usually works well for me. The graphics in dungeon 2 were lovely, the painting effect really came alive there. Other than that the game has looked ok. The painting effect doesn't work as well in other locations. The music is quite lush but not catchy. Nothing has stood out to me as thematic, but then I've considered the music in Zelda to be on a downward spiral since OOT and MM. It is better than TP's music though so far.

So far Fi is not only bland, but highly intrusive. No, I do not need to be told that my health is low, I'm already getting that beeping noise, and can see that the bar is low. Please stop patronising me and constantly reiterating what other NPC's have just this minute told me. Ugh. They really need to start asking whether you've ever played a Zelda game before so you can play without this bullshit.

Overall, as I said before, I am enjoying it, but the lack of any good towns and the disjointed feel of the world has put me on a bit of a downer. This feels like it's going to be incredibly dungeon and puzzle orientated, which I'm sure many will love, but I'm one of those people who tends to look back more fondly on the characters, the towns, the locations. The last 6 hours before the moon falls in MM, pulling up to a random island in the middle of the night in WW, infiltrating Hyrule Castle in OOT, just running around Clock Town or Kakariko Village at night, the graveyard in OOT in the rain. These kind of moments have been almost entirely absent so far, it really feels like 'do pre-dungeon area, do dungeon, return to Skyloft to upgrade/buy stuff, go to pre-dungeon area, do dungeon, return to Skyloft to buy stuff, go to pre-dungeon area etc...' I really miss the kind of things you would do inbetween dungeons in TP or WW as part of the story. The story post Zelda being kidnapped has been non-existent to be honest.

Some of my complaints may no doubt become void as I get further into the game, some I think will not be rectified. As it stands right now, this is shaping up to be my least favourite 3D Zelda. But that's still an enjoyable game. It's all relative.

ASIS

Fair enough. Too slow is awesome. I like to think I'm making the most of my time with a game. :lol (Especially if the next game could be another 5 years away)

The game, on average, will take about 30 hours to beat (not 100% though, still don't know until I do it myself). For me, I'm 34 hours in and I still have quite a bit to do (so yeah I'm reeeally taking my time with this one).

The game, on average, will take about 30 hours to beat (not 100% though, still don't know until I do it myself). For me, I'm 34 hours in and I still have quite a bit to do (so yeah I'm reeeally taking my time with this one).

I hope I get that kind of time out of it- the fact that I try to sniff out as much stuff as possible, and the fact that I suck balls (died twice already, ugh), should help.

Anyone else wonder if skyward sword was the reason Nintendo released Wii motion plus? It wouldn't be the first time Nintendo released an add-on for a zelda game.

Septimius

I just realised that the load screen has a "You are just about to go and <do this>" text. Holy crap, the amount of time they've spent making mechanics to hold your hand in this game. It's outright ridiculous. I just arrived at the second piece of land, and when I got there, Fi was like "HEY, DO YOU REMEMBER HOW TO DOWSE?!", and they did the fuckin' OOT owl trick of making you not meaning to push yes, but you do. Do you seriously believe I have alzheimers, or that it's been half a year since I last played? Even if it was, do you seriously NEED to show me that "this Beetle goes on THIS screen. Get it? It's the place with all the other beetles. It doesn't really matter that it's here, or even which one it is, because it's just there. But here it is. Let me show you that again."

There's no sense of accomplishment here. Don't get me wrong, the game can be a straight line, and I wouldn't mind. It could also be as open as GTAIV, but I'd still be pissed if that game was to hold my hands like this.

"This is a car. It has four wheels and a combustion engine. This is a pedes".. ok, let's not go down that road. (which you would do by tilting the left analogue stick forward)

I hate taking courses with books that overexplain everything, and by god, I've figured that games are no different. What a horrible design choice. It's like its supposed to be accessible by everyone, but they don't realize that I was able to play A Link To The Past at an age of four, only knowing the three English words "open door" and "whiskey", without finding that Zelda game to be any hard, and actually being able to beat the whole thing without understanding anything except "there's a dark and a light world, that evil wizard is bad, and Ganon's got the Triforce!"

I actually think my parents translated the intro, but then I was left on my own for the entirety of the game. I didn't get what Sahasahala was saying (ok, that's how I used to pronounce it), but I understood how to use the hook-shot without a five minute tutorial. Have some faith, game.

Can't wait to get this. Just finishing plowing through Mario 3D and most of the special worlds. Now bring on the new Zelda. Although I'm a little concerned about the small overworld but honestly I'm sure that will be less a concern once I'm playing.

ASIS

They could have had Link on the Spinner the entire game, which you control with a second M+ remote.

I wish the spinner became a regular in the series. Sure, fans will bitch but I don't care. That thing was innovative and downright awesome.
Can't wait to get this. Just finishing plowing through Mario 3D and most of the special worlds. Now bring on the new Zelda. Although I'm a little concerned about the small overworld but honestly I'm sure that will be less a concern once I'm playing.

The overworld is anything but small.

MechaX

Pffft. Why are Wii Motion Plus accessories so pricey (by pricey, I mean anything above $20 for this thing).

Even though I really don't need a third Wiimote, it seems like I might as well pick up the bundle.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Just beat our review copy. Holy shit, that game is incredible.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
If you're playing the game in one sitting, it's perfectly fine.

I literally never turned off my Wii. Just hit the Home button and called it a day.

bubnbob

Banned
Pffft. Why are Wii Motion Plus accessories so pricey (by pricey, I mean anything above $20 for this thing).

Even though I really don't need a third Wiimote, it seems like I might as well pick up the bundle.

I just grabbed a motion plus from Target. I dont know if these things are phasing out because of the new Wiimote Plus, though.

Wooo!

I have no classes or work all week :D I have a stockpile of frozen pizza and Mtn Dew. This will be the best thanksgiving break ever

TWO MORE HOURS UNTIL MIDNIGHT YESSS

MechaX

I just grabbed a motion plus from Target. I dont know if these things are phasing out because of the new Wiimote Plus, though.

I just caved in and bought a Wii Motion Plus from Amazon for $15 including shipping. This way, I can still keep an eye out for potential sales for Skyward Sword or trade-in bonuses at GameStop.

Hiltz

I'm waiting impatiently for my Wii to be sent back after getting a 2nd laser drive replaced. It should be back in a day or two. If FedEX loses it, then I'll strangle em.

Hell yeah, just came back from the Toronto early launch.

DSC_0074.jpg

Not the best picture since my hands were shaky

DSC_0071.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I can't believe I have to wait until monday. I'm going to be so sad tomorrow. (at least I get a steelbook case... meh)

fernoca

10 hours until stores open! :)

Busy day too since a friend's coming over to see the controller game and play other ones..so no 100% Zelda day. :p

Cwarrior

I hate the overworld, worst overworld ever in a zelda game, huge step back for the series( everything else is a step forward)

-Hub world
-the over world is like sky of arcadia where when you leave the town it turns into a mini version of itself, huge step back for Zelda.

dawson_crying.gif

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I saw the Euro one isn't shiny. Neither is the boxart.

WE GET ALL THE SHINY STUFF, MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Not always if we have bilingual packaging, but at least Nintendo is good about tha--...

Wii games are naturally bi/trilingual in North America, right? Because I really dislike seeing this obtrusive label that Nintendo of Canada likes to put on DS games. Drives me insane.

IIRC, Europe got the shiny OoT 3D cover.

Oh my god, the box is shiny.

The case is shiny.

The soundtrack is shiny.

The wiimote is shiny.

I'm being blinded. Haven't even put the disc in. Kind of wish it was all shiny too.

Cheska

Yep, Canada wins with the steelbook.

Are most Gamestops having a midnight for this? I have it fully paid off through Best
Buy so I have to wait until 11 tomorrow morning, but I could essentially run out to GameStop to pick it up tonight.

Top Bottom