• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Are there any good Skyward Sword wallpapers? The only official one I could find is on the Zelda 25th anniversary site, and I like it, but I want more options!

I made the horrible mistake of pre-ordering this game at GameStop... my first GS experience ever. I went with them because Amazon sold out of bundles and I figured they might have midnight openings.

Called GameStop three days ago to ask if I could pick up my copy at midnight. They said yes, they were opening.
Called GameStop three hours ago to confirm, was asked "Who told you that?" Awesome. Best part? I skipped the NYC launch event because I had this copy pre-ordered, so I could've been playing all day.

D'oh.

But it's been 5 years, what's a few more hours right? First world problems.

Anth0ny

lol our steelbook is horrible. It has Twilight Princess style artwork for fucks sakes.

Getting through this intro right now... definitely not as bad as Twilight Princess. And, assuming there isn't a stealth segment coming up, better than Wind Waker's too. Still overly long, but Zelda is freaking adorable <3

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
lol our steelbook is horrible. It has Twilight Princess style artwork for fucks sakes.
Nothing wrong with the TP artstyle, but using the concept art is why I passed on it. It's too bad they didn't choose something other than the concept art. If they had chosen something like the Game Informer cover, I would have changed my preorder to FS for the steelbook alone.

Goody

Man, I really wish my GameStop was doing a midnight launch. It's going to be like going to sleep on Christmas Eve for me.

Anth0ny

Nothing wrong with the TP artstyle, but using the concept art is why I passed on it. It's too bad they didn't choose something other than the concept art. If they had chosen something like the Game Informer cover, I would have changed my preorder to FS.

Yeah. It just reeks of laziness. Like they searched "new zelda for wii" on Google image search and took the first thing that came up. Even the logo on the side just says The Legend of Zelda, which was what it was being called when Miyamoto first unveiled that art after E3 2009.

I like how every other fucking game did this fall, but not Legend of goddamn Zelda.

but zelda is nintendo and teh kiddy shit

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Man, I really wish my GameStop was doing a midnight launch. It's going to be like going to sleep on Christmas Eve for me.
Santa?

anOKe.jpg

fernoca

Yeah. It just reeks of laziness. Like they searched "new zelda for wii" on Google image search and took the first thing that came up. Even the logo on the side just says The Legend of Zelda, which was what it was being called when Miyamoto first unveiled that art after E3 2009.
Yep.. :p

genIa.png

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'll be interested to see how it actually looks. Another thing that bugs me is the disconnect between the in-game abundance of colour and the art in the back (lacking in a ton of colour) + the gold steelbook. Like you said, it just seems lazy.

Edit: oh my god, fernoca, lol!

F#A#Oo

Banned
What do you all think of the upgrade system? I'm slightly miffed as I just lost a fully upgraded wooden shield... :( and the thought of having to farm materials again to regain my shield sucks...

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
What do you all think of the upgrade system? I'm slightly miffed as I just lost a fully upgraded wooden shield... :( and the thought of having to farm materials again to regain my shield sucks...
I have never been in any danger whatsoever of losing a shield. Granted, I ditched the wood one for a metal one ASAP.

Amazing how polarising this game is.

It's not polarizing. It's a fantastic game, mired under layers of irritating and patronizing conventions that impede the experience to different degrees depending on your personal tolerance for them.

The thing about this 'hand-holding' is that not ONCE did the game help me when I was actually stuck. ie. multiple times, I've ran around an area for 20-30 minutes trying different things and not knowing what to do, because I missed a crack here, a path there, or something not so obvious, yet you can go in circles for hrs trying to get to the next objective and you'll never get a real hint. I don't like comparing games, but Uncharted has the right idea, as it asks you if you need a hint after X amount of time in the same place. However, the game insists on spoiling puzzles as soon as you encounter them, at explaining an item you just picked up when you've got 50 already, at blatantly pointing out your health is low, even after hours of play, as if the flashing hearts and never-ending jingle isn't enough, at pointing out that that there may be scary monsters in the temple you're about to enter, and at showing a 30 seconds animation and NPC conversation to be more careful EVERY TIME you fall from skyloft.. I can go on and on. SO yes, the enjoyment of the game depends on the tolerance for these aspects and so many more, which can often be frustrating and infuriating, yet never provide a hint of help when you genuinely have trouble progressing. Fi is like that girl that texts you all the fucking time about stupid shit but when you call never actually picks up.

Fuck, looks like I can't do in-store pickup on Best Buy's site for the bundle, looks like I'll have to pop in tomorrow morning and hope for the best.

Anyone got any estimate on how many copies each store is getting?

This question is going to sound stupid but.....I have never purchased a game at launch (just not my thing).

Will WalMart actually have them available at midnight or will I have to badger someone at the store to find me one?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Hi! I have a pre-order at Best Buy for the CE where I plan to use up some store credit. But I want it now, lol. So will run up to Walmart now to grab a copy and play, then return my Best Buy copy back to WM with the original receipt tomorrow.

That said, this only works if WM is carrying the CE. Has anyone seen or purchased a CE at Walmart tonight?

Thanks!

? Not really...at least as far as I know.

Wooden Shield basically becomes no good when you get to the volcano.

I read from someone with impressions that enemies that
deal electric attacks(which usually reside in the Desert region) hurt the player if you are using the Metal shield over the Wooden Shield.
Maybe they were lying or it's something that isn't made obvious.

Big One

Banned
Oh yeah that's not made up, but honestly if you're careful you don't have to worry about it.
You can get the third shield, which regenerates, pretty easily in the game later on.

Tendo

This question is going to sound stupid but.....I have never purchased a game at launch (just not my thing).

Will WalMart actually have them available at midnight or will I have to badger someone at the store to find me one?

Mine didn't, and when I asked I was treated like shit by two employees who were busy waiting for a phonecall. They stood around and talked then just walked away. I hate HATE this town.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Well I believe, If I read correctly, there are reasons why you might want a wooden shield over a metal shield later in the game.
Not really.
There's a third shield that opens up not much later that nullifies the weakness of both.

The tradeoff's supposed to be that it can take less damage before needing repair, but as I said, needing a shield repair is not even something that's even been a vague threat.

Clott

Just finished the first dungeon, but what is this that I am hearing that the hand holding gets even more intense from here on out?

Plus didn't they hear that motion control wire balancing was a horrible idea since Uncharted 1 did it in 2007?

I'll probably repost this a few more times before I go to bed but fucking fuck I hope I can get a remote bundle tomorrow morning at the store's open.

TheExodu5

Banned
Plus didn't they hear that motion control wire balancing was a horrible idea since Uncharted 1 did it in 2007?

Especially when you do it while the Motion Plus is decalibrated. You need to then point the controller at the sensor bar and resume balancing to avoid falling off.

Mine didn't, and when I asked I was treated like shit by two employees who were busy waiting for a phonecall. They stood around and talked then just walked away. I hate HATE this town.

Damn I hate that.

Maybe I will just wait for morning and just pray they have the bundle.......

Clott

Especially when you do it while the Motion Plus is decalibrated. You need to then point the controller at the sensor bar and resume balancing to avoid falling off.

I have to recalibrate all the time!

I seriously don't want more waggle in future console generations, I really like pressing buttons.

SCReuter

The employees at my local Walmart couldn't find the bundle edition. They said it's probably tucked away somewhere in the Black Friday pile.

What my body cannot seem to sort out is that despite me getting this game in less than 8 hours, I... still need to sleep before then.

So I suppose, in a way... my body is not ready.

Varna

Really not liking what I am hearing. ..

You think they would have learned from the past few games that no one likes inclusive hand holding like the one found in the past three games.

I thought the over world was suppose to be smaller but more densely packed? Was that just bull shit too?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
6367544931_8cdc739e89_z.jpg

12:40 in the morning, and that's what I come home with :-/

Pretty pathetic that not Gamestop, Best Buy, another Gamestop, Target, or Walmart could have a midnight release for this game. Walmart had regular editions; but the lady said there were about 50 "bigger cardboard boxes" being reserved for Black Friday :-/

For Zelda.

The Legend of FREAKING ZELDA!

For YEARS I've wanted to open my own game store. It's my "life goal", and it's times like these where I'm certain I could do it SO much better than the big guys.

Alas; I hope all of you are enjoying the game! This means I won't be able to play until LATE tonight.

watershed

Banned
That new zelda game feeling is rising within me. I still remember playing WW for the first time and how amazed I was at that game. I hope all the changes Nintendo has mixed in are worth it. Though as long as the game keeps that classic zelda feel I'm sure the game will be fine by me.

Top Bottom