• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

12:40 in the morning, and that's what I come home with :-/

Pretty pathetic that not Gamestop, Best Buy, another Gamestop, Target, or Walmart could have a midnight release for this game. Walmart had regular editions; but the lady said there were about 50 "bigger cardboard boxes" being reserved for Black Friday :-/

For Zelda.

The Legend of FREAKING ZELDA!

For YEARS I've wanted to open my own game store. It's my "life goal", and it's times like these where I'm certain I could do it SO much better than the big guys.

Alas; I hope all of you are enjoying the game! This means I won't be able to play until LATE tonight.

Same boat. I am not even going to try my WalMart because I don't wanna deal with it. Will just go in the morning and see what happens.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I can't sleep. My local GS doesn't open til another ten hours. I'm probably not gonna be able to play it til next week because I got family coming over and they are hogging my room. And yet here I am, waiting. It's been a while since I felt like this for a vidya.

I'm Canadian, our Thanksgiving isn't the same date as yours.

Anyway *google search*

So wait, Wal-Mart is holding off the Skyward Sword bundles until the 25th? Is that even legal?

I doubt its intentional. The shipments probably came together and no one bothered to separate the Black friday units from the rest.

Finally getting the game in about 8 1/2 hours. I should go to sleep to pass the time.

I have the bundle preordered at Gamestop (I know...) because Amazon sold out in early October.

Does anyone have any idea why Amazon is not carrying either the normal or CE guide for it? It seems like only Gamestop and Best Buy are carrying it and they are selling it at MSRP of $39.99. Actually, doesn't Gamestop give you a % off when you buy a guide with the game?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Does anyone know if the game that comes in the bundle has the same UPC as the regular release? I'm tempted to go over to the store and buy the regular edition while waiting for my bundle to ship from Amazon.

So I'm enjoying this game and have no control issues. Am I doing it wrong?

One thing irks me though, they have some really nice animations going but Link's can look so stiff at times - does not compute.

How fast is it? Instant or like super fast + the game doesn't wait for the animations to end before moving along? Or just super fast?
Timing it now...

Stopwatch says that a full paragraph from the potion lady comes out at regular speed at 5.7 seconds.

Holding A+B takes it down to about 3.2 seconds.

I started the stopwatch the moment I hit A for the prompt to bring the text up and stopped it the moment the text stopped.

Did anyone realize that on the cover there is Zora's Sapphire and a bit of Kokiri Emerald?

It's actually the symbol for Nayru (the Zora symbol and the Nayru symbol are the same) and the one for Farore.

Timing it now...

Stopwatch says that a full paragraph from the potion lady comes out at regular speed at 5.7 seconds.

I started the stopwatch the moment I hit A for the prompt to bring the text up and stopped it the moment the text stopped.

neeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd

There's such a cute little detail in the bazaar.

The general shop owner has the Mask Salesman-like smile whenever you approach is store, but if you turn and walk away without buying anything, he gets a dejected look, faces the floor, and sighs.

Man, Wind Waker is boring. There was a time when I loved this game but I just can't stand it anymore.

I picked up where I left off in my recent playthrough. From the Forest Temple, I sailed ten uneventful minutes to Great Fish Isle. That place has been destroyed. So all that sailing was for nothing! I now have to sail to Outset Island. But wait, I need bombs first. So off to Windfall to steal some from the pirates. Another dull sailing voyage and a lot of charmless text reading later I'm in the pirate ship and I'm forced to do another lame rope swinging challenge. I have the bombs. Now I can go to Outset Island. But I can't be bothered getting on that damn boat again.

*removes Wind Waker disc and inserts Twilight Princess*

The wait for SS is unbearable. :(

I doubt its intentional. The shipments probably came together and no one bothered to separate the Black friday units from the rest.

Considering I went to 3 Wal-marts tonight (yeah I know) trying to get it and ALL of them told me the same thing, I'm more than willing to bet it's intentional,

BY2K

Membero Americo
Considering I went to 3 Wal-marts tonight (yeah I know) trying to get it and ALL of them told me the same thing, I'm more than willing to bet it's intentional,

The game comes out today. All versions should be available today. They are clearly not allowed to do that.

... How do you call the opposite of breaking the street date?

zoukka

Finished the first dungeon (didn't have any time to play yesterday D:)

Goddamn the whole game feels like a Ghibli movie the game. More so than any other Zelda I remember. The music is fantastic and like I said earlier, the synth pieces are so much nicer than the overworld orchestra piece. Keep that shit in cut-scenes please Nintendo.

The dungeon was a cakewalk, but I liked the spider enemies and how you defeated them. Also SS is the only Zelda where I almost died twice to the goblin packs... lol talk about being overconfident and impatient with normal enemies. The goblins are so cute especially when they fall to their deaths :(

The game comes out today. All versions should be available today. They are clearly not allowed to do that.

... How do you call the opposite of breaking the street date?

Being asshats and losing a sale.

What I don't get is even why thy would do it. It's a $10 difference for BF. I understand they have to have a "certain amount" for BF but wtf is this noise?

TheExodu5

Banned
You just hold A to speed up text. No need to touch B.

Anyways, undecided whether I'm continuing the game or not. We'll see how I feel tomorrow. 5 hours in now (did a sidequest and explored a bit) and partway through the first dungeon, but the controls and poor pacing are killing it for me.

cacophony

Damn that sucks, I was gonna get it at WM tomorrow. Guess I'll just have to get the M+ add-on. They had plenty of the game only though right?

dwu8991

Banned
Timing it now...

Kind of awkward, just to save a measly few seconds.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I... I actually bought a Wii for this game (my old Wii didn't move house with me). I don't know whether that's sad or awesome.

kiryogi

Banned
Haha I feel pretty awesome tonight. Turns out my little influence ended up making a few people happy :D Apparently it was one of the only Gamestops in Western Washington was doing a midnight.

On other news, regarding all the Fi hate. . . I absolutely love her, it's how her character was intended to be, and Nintendo did a great job with it. Midna/Minish Cap/ST Zelda are tough competitors and I wouldn't always expect them to try and one up it. Sure she might be absolutely robotic/systematic, but she follows it to a T. I find her actually very endearing in that regard.

I'm usually used to this kind of character type deal from jrpgs and whatnot. I won't fault a game's characters if that's how they're intended to be. I'm sure Nintendo knew full and well how they were going to make Fi.

Tadale

East coast, got the game from a Wal-Mart at midnight. I was hoping for a controller bundle, just because I wanted the gold controller, but no dice.

After playing for about 3 1/2 hours, I finally got to the first dungeon. I think it has a slow start, but not nearly as bad as twilight princess. I miss Wind Waker, OoT, and Majora's Mask, all of which I feel like really dropped you in to the action.

The city in the beginning looked a bit blurry and jagged blown up on my TV, but the art style has really grown on me in the first surface area and dungeon. I'm also really digging the aiming without having to use the sensor bar.

On other news, regarding all the Fi hate. . . I absolutely love her, it's how her character was intended to be, and Nintendo did a great job with it. Midna/Minish Cap/ST Zelda are tough competitors and I wouldn't always expect them to try and one up it. Sure she might be absolutely robotic/systematic, but she follows it to a T. I find her actually very endearing in that regard.

I'm usually used to this kind of character type deal from jrpgs and whatnot. I won't fault a game's characters if that's how they're intended to be. I'm sure Nintendo knew full and well how they were going to make Fi.

Agree. She does exactly what she was designed for. Criticising a character for having no personality when she wasn't intended to have any seems odd to me... if they'd tried for a Midna 2.0 and failed at it, fair enough, but she's just a dancing/skating robot without emotion.

She sure looks creepy when she sings, though.

Fi is one if those characters I feel that Zelda was due for, then it went wrong after they shoved her in at the most inopportune times. Completely annoying and useless since she repeats shit 90% of the time.

Btw, I watched Tangled last night and almost shed a tear.

Luthos

I... I actually bought a Wii for this game (my old Wii didn't move house with me). I don't know whether that's sad or awesome.

I've thought about it, man. Zelda is about the one Nintendo franchise that could single-handedly be a system seller for me.

I pretty much bought a Gamecube for Wind Waker. (played some other games, but it forced the purchase)

Wurst

I'm past the
third
dungeon right now and I can't really decide what I feel. Was on a media blackout so almost everything is new to me.

The dungeons so far were just meh and boring. Didn't they want to change stuff? It's same old puzzle design with shorter dungeons. Where are those "most inventive dungeons the series has ever known"?

Plus it annoys me that the
beetle
is overused. Don't dig that item at all.

But for me the boss battles so far where pretty fun. The first boss was amazing.
Overall I'm having a great time with the game though. I just hope it's going to pick up from now on... please!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So I've been playing it for 2 days... and all I gotta say is wow.

Like, seriously. WOW. This game reaches a state that isn't even possible to achieve, it's BETTER than expected and I expected this game to be a 10/10.

weeaboo

Yep.. :p

genIa.png

Legend of Zelda Valley of the Flood. Best fake Zelda ever ;_;

I saw this coming from a mile away when I found out that Aonuma and Oda are friends. The cutscenes and character-designs highly remind me of OP.

Ohh man, seriously?

I've once noticed how Zelda and One Piece are very similar in their willingness to make certain characters absolutely crazy looking; Them being friends pretty much adds extra confirmation to the parallels I've noticed.

Gregorn

Anyways, undecided whether I'm continuing the game or not. We'll see how I feel tomorrow. 5 hours in now (did a sidequest and explored a bit) and partway through the first dungeon, but the controls and poor pacing are killing it for me.

I didn't like the game at that point either. It gets better once you properly get into it, the dungeons keep getting objectively better too.

I'm at the part where I'm collecting
flames
and the story has completely stopped. I know that's standard for a Zelda game but I hopped for a change considering they seemed to be focusing on the story more than usual.

protonion

Finished the third dungeon and had to stop because the wii mote batteries died...

My problem with the dungeons is that they are linear. You have to focus on the small individual puzzles that are in your way. There is no sense of exploration in them.
Another reason for this is their decision to use a few huge rooms instead of many small ones.

The pre dungeon areas so far have a dungeonish feel (much more light) but this results in exhausting the player. When I entered the third dungeon I took a break because I had to relax. The game needs some mindless gameplay sections badly.

Top Bottom