• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Caelus

Hooray!
I'm not the only one who loves the Silent Realm

I don't know why people wouldn't,
The music is beautiful, the environments are gorgeous through that blue lighting, collecting the tears depends on skill, and those guardians are as CREEPY AS SHIT. I got killed two times! I'm loving the challenge, I can't believe people were worried about this.

ASIS

I don't know why people wouldn't,
The music is beautiful, the environments are gorgeous through that blue lighting, collecting the tears depends on skill, and those guardians are as CREEPY AS SHIT. I got killed two times! I'm loving the challenge, I can't believe people were worried about this.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, it's because it has the "different dimension" feel to it. The actual gameplay in these parts are incredibly fun

Xane

Ok, my game currently clocks 62 hours and I now have a near 100% savegame on Hero Mode.
I'd say it was well worth the money. I'm sure I will replay it next year. :D

kiryogi

Banned
I've said it once and I'll say it again, it's because it has the "different dimension" feel to it. The actual gameplay in these parts are incredibly fun

Lol I love it as well.
I absolutely freak out when the phantoms are on the prowl when I have like one left and don't know where it is, or when I accidently trigger them again after collecting all of them XD

Is there real reasoning behind possibly expecting to find the bundle at Best Buy this morning? Because if there is I think I might like to try. Wasn't planning to get the bundle since I've been in a money saving mood lately. Already have motion plus and I'm sure I'll hear the music very soon. But then I saw the box and then well you know, stuff changes.

Is there reason to expect being able to get a bundle without having preordered?

There's about 20 Best Buys that I consider in range (less than an hour away). Some open at 10, some already opened at 9.

What to do what to do

Kazerei

Banned
I went to Wal-mart at 7am and there was already somebody ahead of me buying Zelda :lol. I got to the first dungeon, loving it so far. The presentation is great and the controls work well. I think I'd still prefer button-pressing controls though.

JohnsonUT

I was just able to order the bundle off Toys R Us. All other stores int he area did not have it for sale and neither did any non-shady online stores. I hope the order goes through.

Anth0ny

Middle of the 4th dungeon. Just got the
whip
. These dungeons are AMAZING so far, better than Twilight Princess.

tumblr_lg7ohqHAlD1qcv5z8o1_500.jpg

Xrenity

I'm in the second dungeon. Anyone got tips for fighting... ? Losing hearts kinda quicked against lizards and others....

Should I use my shield more often and be more patient for an oppurtinity?

/edit
Also, walking swordslicing was awesome in TP. To bad it's out.

And rolling/throwing bombs is just a bit fucked up. I play sitting back and having to point the remote down is just annoying that way. During flight too.

Like the game though aside of these nitpicks :p

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Ohhhhh crap almost a hour away!!! Heading out in a little bit to get some breakfast (don't usually eat fast-food, but I'm going to celebrate with some mcgriddles) and then off to Gamestop to pick up my bundle! I'll post some pics when I get home! Hope this looks good on my LED 45' Samsung TV....

I'm sorry but this is probably the most-hyped I have been for a video game since the launch of this Generation. Ever since playing Red Steel 2 I wanted a Zelda that controlled like that, and here it is! I've been on a Media blackout since E3 2011, hopefully it lives up to the hype.

Also looking froward to discussing it with you guys. I'll be reading your review Feep when I finish, along with all the others. The scores seem to suggest this is one of the most mixed reaction games ever, so it should be VERY interesting to discuss. :)

God, I love the
Silent Realm. Absolutely the tensest thing in a Zelda game. Accidentally stepping in the water and desperately racing towards the last tear with Guardians EVERYWHERE? My heart damn near stopped.

EDIT: Holy shit, there's more? Best new mechanic in SS, bar none.

Xrenity

A lot of the enemies track the point of the sword & will adjust where they're blocking, so you can use this to your advantage
I'm probably doing something wrong cause
usually when I point left for example and then go back right (to make a slash to the left), Link either slashes to the right or I'm too slow and he adjusts his shield :p

Finished the game. What a ride. I'll be honest, I miss the special moves based combat from TP but everything else makes up for it. This just might be my favourite 3D-Zelda. I don't know yet. I would have absolutely no problem if they take the 3D titles further into this direction.

I'm probably doing something wrong cause
usually when I point left for example and then go back right (to make a slash to the left), Link either slashes to the right or I'm too slow and he adjusts his shield :p

Try moving the sword in a circle(like you do with the eyes), after a bit you should find an opening (works pretty well for me but I am very early in the game

Bryan1321

Banned
Oh myyyyy two hours away...... Im soooooo ready!! Glad that mostly everyone is enjoying the game once you get pass the tutorial area.

Anybody hate the controls yet?

No, Hell no

I dont Know why there is so much bitchin about the two first hours, it was a good way to introduce everyone to the basics of the new controlers, giving a pace before the beginning of the adventure, exploring skyloft without concerns, and practicing in the enviroments.

So yes, Its much better after that, but i am enjoying the game Since the Very Beginning of it

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
WOW I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW FUCKING AWESOME THAT DUNGEON WAS.

The dungeon where you get the whip
= Best dungeon in any Zelda-game. Fuck me.

weeaboo

I'm at the final boss now
i can't believe Nintendo spoiled Demise :\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

He looks like Mozgus from Berserk wich is totally awesome

btw the last fight with Lord Fabulous was amazing

Now a little break and to the final showdown

Jeff25987

Neo Member
Preordered mine at Gamestop, they're not even opening early today. 12 PM and I work at 1! :( And any Walmart i've been to i've seen no signage or anything. It's like its not even coming out. There is no justice in this world.

Going to pick my copy up soon (stupid Nintendo Sunday launches, making me go to GS), really hope I like this game as I am not a big fan of motion controls for any game.

M-PG71C

Can't pick up mine till 11 at GameStop, but at least its paid off. Just got to go pick it up now lol :D I won't play it for some time though, I got SM3D Land to finish first (And Xenoblade, damn is that game fucking long. And I'm slow too, that doesn't help. And Kirby distracted me. Oops). But at least I'll have the LE version of it ready to go when I am.

The Lamp

Screw Nintendo for releasing their games on Sundays. Screw Amazon for not shipping my game this weekend. Screw the postal service for not doing anything on Sundays.

furious5tuh9e89f.gif

Tiktaalik

Instead of purchasing this at the nearby Gamestop or Best Buy I drove out to Walmart because it opens at 7am. They had the LE so I grabbed that. Batteries included! Classy!

Screw Nintendo for releasing their games on Sundays. Screw Amazon for not shipping my game this weekend. Screw the postal service for not doing anything on Sundays.

furious5tuh9e89f.gif

Yes, that's about how I feel. I've always picked up major games from Gamestop so it didnt matter when it was released. Even tho I buy 70% of my games from Amazon, got screwed this time around x_x

jonno394

So after finishing the third dungeon and doing some sidequests i returned to
the temple in the woods area
and experienced
The Imprisoned
with my four year old niece watching.

She was almsot as scared as me!!

The Lamp

I had to buy with Amazon because I had $40 in credit and the bundle was kind of expensive (I know it's a good deal but in general it's expensive for me) sooooo I just have to deal with it -_-

At least it'll probably come after my physics test on Tuesday.

[Nintex]

Finished up the second dungeon and the game really picked up steam during that part. The dungeon itself is great and the boss is really well designed. Zelda 25th Anniversary CD running in the Sony Blu-Ray Home Cinema thing now... HNNNGGGG

Oh and I could tell the EAD girls and guys are a fan of Indiana Jones haha.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
No, Hell no

I dont Know why there is so much bitchin about the two first hours, it was a good way to introduce everyone to the basics of the new controlers, giving a pace before the beginning of the adventure, exploring skyloft without concerns, and practicing in the enviroments.

So yes, Its much better after that, but i am enjoying the game Since the Very Beginning of it

Yeah to not expect a extended "tutorial" for a whole new control scheme is kind of naive. I have a good feeling that I will love the beginning because I loved Windwaker's and Twilight Princess's start! Nintendo does a great job of building up to an epic journey with a quite beginning. Love it!

Sitting in the parking lot, about to head into Gamestop! Soooooo excited! :)

Edit: Got it! Headed home now!!

They only had the regular version at Target. Went to Best Buy and was pleasantly surprised by the bundle. They had two of them. I got one. One still left. I wonder if they have more in the back though. Someone just put those two out as I was walking to the stand at about 10:30 eastern standard time. I literally saw them put them there.

jonno394

In regards to the opening section, I felt it was a great introduction to the characters and the world in the sky.

If they'd have just dropped me into a dungeon experience after half an hour I don't think i'd like the characters as much as I do right now. They have made the world all the more better and getting to spend that time with them has made me appreciate skyloft so much more.

giggas

furious5tuh9e89f.gif

This is my problem. Waiting until Tuesday is going to be sooooooo freaking hard. I just got to stay out of these threads.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I can't believe how good this game is.

edit: And Ghirahim is the best villain in many years.

McNum

In regards to the opening section, I felt it was a great introduction to the characters and the world in the sky.

If they'd have just dropped me into a dungeon experience after half an hour I don't think i'd like the characters as much as I do right now. They have made the world all the more better and getting to spend that time with them has made me appreciate skyloft so much more.
I agree. In other Zelda games where you have to save Zelda, you do it because she's the princess and/or she has some power you need to beat the bad guy. In Skyward Sword? You're helping a friend. And no monsters, no matter how big or how many, will keep Link from saving his friend. I think it's a good twist on the usual story, really. Plus she's kind of cute in this one.

Top Bottom