• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

The Lamp

I can't believe how good this game is.

edit: And Ghirahim is the best villain in many years.

I can believe this I suppose since TSA didn't like him, if I recall correctly, but actually said that he just found him rather cheesy and unbelievable, although admitted that many people would probably gobble up his insanity.

I hope to gobble.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Like seriously, BELIEVE MY WORDS. I know I'm often hyperboling but...

The dungeon design, the music, the art direction, the controls, the graphics... everything is perfect. This is without a single fucking doubt my GotY. This is THE ONLY GAME THIS YEAR that doesn't disappoint in any way, shape or form.

Moaradin

In regards to the opening section, I felt it was a great introduction to the characters and the world in the sky.

If they'd have just dropped me into a dungeon experience after half an hour I don't think i'd like the characters as much as I do right now. They have made the world all the more better and getting to spend that time with them has made me appreciate skyloft so much more.

I agree. I didn't feel like the opening was a chore like Twilight Princess, but more like me getting connected to the characters. It made my adventure all the more substantial.

Mael

What is the best choice in the toilet quest? It seems to affect more people if I give the letter to Grida. Will I see the thing closed in the toilet again after she disappear?

I did one choice, then the other....And now I can't decide although the result is the same in all cases
Orgo crying in Hergo's room :lol

Ok, my game currently clocks 62 hours and I now have a near 100% savegame on Hero Mode.
I'd say it was well worth the money. I'm sure I will replay it next year. :D
Wait, what?

No don't answer! I have a 6 hearts save to plan to do already!
And I already know that the 3rd boss will be a bitch with 6 hearts :lol

furious5tuh9e89f.gif

That will be getting some mileage I tell you!
Isn't this the most giffable Zelda yet?

Is this game playable on a small SDTV?

The Skyward Sword bundle is 70 euros, but I can get a 15 euro discount, so 55 euros.

The controls looks like fun, and Link having stamina is awesome.

Agh, I don't know.

I think my Tv is actually smaller than my DS and I have no problem.
DO IT

There's also the relationship with the girl that I'm starting to feel bad about since it's pretty clear that Link is supposed to have Zelda and not play around like that...

I actually never thought I'd actually post a thing like about Zelda ever.

edit : woa neoneogaf is awesome and the multiquote means I don't have to abuse the tabs!

jonno394

Like seriously, BELIEVE MY WORDS. I know I'm often hyperboling but...

The dungeon design, the music, the art direction, the controls, the graphics... everything is perfect. This is without a single fucking doubt my GotY. This is THE ONLY GAME THIS YEAR that doesn't disappoint in any way, shape or form.

I'd have to agree, I bought Skyrim last saturday on a whim (didn't plan to) and after playing it for 15 hours last week my anticipation for Zelda had dropped enormously and I saw Skyrim as being my GOTY, I booked off Friday for skyward sword but imagined myself leaving Zelda for the evening and spending all day in Skyrim.

However, once I opened my amazon order and opened the Zelda box, I needed to play this game, and I haven't looked back since. 18 hours in and loving the game, it is beautiful to look at and listen to considering it is on the less console, it is the most attractive game I have played all year.

Xane

I'm at the final boss now
i can't believe Nintendo spoiled Demise :\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

He looks like Mozgus from Berserk wich is totally awesome

btw the last fight with Lord Fabulous was amazing

Now a little break and to the final showdown

I fought both, Demise and Lord Fabulous' final battle about a dozen times trying to beat the Boss Rush, I barely get hit once now. :/

The Lamp

I'm not sure if this is allowed, but if anyone is willing to upload their game save so I can play as
Hero mode
straight from the start, could you please send it to me? I don't want to bother with an easier play-through.

Mael

I'm not sure if this is allowed, but if anyone is willing to upload their game save so I can play as Hero mode straight from the start, could you please send it to me? I don't want to bother with an easier play-through.

Beware the game is not as easy as it looks.
It's actually significantly harder than pretty much all 3D Zelda bar Majora's Mask and Master Quest.

Ricker

Well I couldn't resist,even though i'm starting to get deep into Skyrim,playing DCUO and bought a copy of AC Revelations last week,went to Zeller's and saw the game,49 bucks and I could easily put this on the Zeller's credit,so yeah,got it...what gamer with a Wii can resist getting this game day one anyway hehe ;) P

Picking it up today but won't be able to really play it until Tuesday I'm thinking. So excited to get this game, first Zelda I've been excited about since Wind Waker.

jonno394

I'm not sure if this is allowed, but if anyone is willing to upload their game save so I can play as Hero mode straight from the start, could you please send it to me? I don't want to bother with an easier play-through.

I wouldn't call it an easy play through tbh, I have died more times in this Zelda than any Zelda i have played since the nes days. I blame my own skills regarding sword combat, rather than blaming the motion controls, but I died a few times on the first boss and had to use a couple of shield and health potions on the third. First time in ages i've been stocking up on potions in a zelda game.

I do wish they would had give you time to get use to flying be for droping you in a race, Monster's claw are a pain in ass to get so hit bat down to the floor

and getting in a fight in this game not easy you have to think more or have alot of back up potions still getting use to shield it not on auto

Xane

I'm not sure if this is allowed, but if anyone is willing to upload their game save so I can play as
Hero mode
straight from the start, could you please send it to me? I don't want to bother with an easier play-through.
I can do it if it's allowed.

McNum

I do wish they would had give you time to get use to flying be for droping you in a race, Monster's claw are a pain in ass to get so hit bat down to the floor
Where do you find Monster's Claws, anyway? I kind of broke my shield and I'd like to get a better one, but I need the claws for that.
(What's with the Zelda games and giving you a wooden shield for fire monsters, anyway?)

Can someone clear something up for me?

Other than Skyloft, are there other towns or outposts to visit? I mean, part of the fun of Zelda is visiting unique villages and towns like Kakariko or the Goron village.

Where do you find Monster's Claws, anyway? I kind of broke my shield and I'd like to get a better one, but I need the claws for that.
(What's with the Zelda games and giving you a wooden shield for fire monsters, anyway?)

Bats hit them down dont send them flying of the edge lol

Mael

Huh? You're in the 2nd area correct? The Iron shield should have been available to you in Skyloft's bazar

Kifimbo

Can someone clear something up for me?

Other than Skyloft, are there other towns or outposts to visit? I mean, part of the fun of Zelda is visiting unique villages and towns like Kakariko or the Goron village.

No other town. But there are others "species" that you can interact with. And some areas could be considered an outpost I guess.

Cptkrush

Gonna head up to GS and pick this up, what's the consensus on Wii component cables? Worth the 20 bucks used? I want to play this game in full glory, or at least, until I can get a bluetooth dongle for my pc.

The Lamp

No other town. But there are others "species" that you can interact with. And some areas could be considered an outpost I guess.

Biggest news of disappointment to me so far.....ugh. But I guess SS takes place in a time period before there was much civilization.

For all the Minish Cap influence this has, it really sucks that they didn't include any
special moves like those you learned from the tiger scrolls

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Pics!!!!!!

Blg2z.jpg

8VIou.jpg

am2il.jpg

CvS0E.jpg

My body is sooooo ready!!!!!! Only worry is that it won't look so good on my HDTV..... guess it's time to find out. I'll be posting impressions throughout my play-through, and I will keep them as spoiler-free as possible. If you have any questions about the first two hours let me know, I will answer them for you soon! :)

SS is the gamiest (3D) Zelda yet. There's no world to get lost in, which is my only gripe so far... if that's even a gripe. I don't think it is, seeing as some of the best games ever (read: SMG1/2) are gamey games through and through. I definitely want the next Zelda to return to building these deep, exciting worlds like Termina or the Great Sea again (in before Great Sea haters), but for now, I'm happy with this more tightly developed version of "Hyrule".

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Pics!!!!!!

Blg2z.jpg

8VIou.jpg

am2il.jpg

CvS0E.jpg

My body is sooooo ready!!!!!! Only worry is that it won't look so good on my HDTV..... guess it's time to find out. I'll be posting impressions throughout my play-through, and I will keep them as spoiler-free as possible. If you have any questions about the first two hours let me know, I will answer them for you soon! :)

Wow that's got me hyped.

Varna

I agree. I didn't feel like the opening was a chore like Twilight Princess, but more like me getting connected to the characters. It made my adventure all the more substantial.

Guess I just have to play it to really know. But how is it any different? They are both there for the same reason, they probably take about the same amount of time too... and I doubt the cutscenes and dialogue are done that much better (personally feel like they might be more annoying... this whole Zelda games seems a lot more "anime like").

Oh... the special edition only comes with the remote... kind of a bummer.

BowieZ

Banned
I like how the side quests encourage Link to
do naughty things: break chandeliers, be a laundering housemaid, not give a 'crap' about a love letter, engender a fake forbidden love, all so he can help out a demon lol.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Have to say that the game gets better as you go on, as in : a LOT. I'm on my way to the third temple now and it's been really fun. The pre dungeon areas are getting way better and larger, the
desert with time capsules
really feels as if you're playing a dungeon out in the open.

If I compare this to the opening hours and everything leading up to the first temple... It's like a world of difference.

Moaradin

Guess I just have to play it to really know. But how is it any different? They are both there for the same reason, they probably take about the same amount of time too... and I doubt the cutscenes and dialogue are done that much better (personally feel like they might be more annoying... this whole Zelda games seems a lot more "anime like").

Oh... the special edition only comes with the remote... kind of a bummer.

Cutscenes and dialogue were much better imo. Twilight Princess had you do so many pointless task, and none of them really had me connected to the characters. The tutorial in this felt much better to me.

So there's no real overworld then to explore? Just dungeon zones?

Yep, no overworld, nothing to explore. Just the boring town of Skyloft and the dungeons on the surface.

Have to say that the game gets better as you go on, as in : a LOT. I'm on my way to the third temple now and it's been really fun. The pre dungeon areas are getting way better and larger, the
desert with time capsules
really feels as if you're playing a dungeon out in the open.

If I compare this to the opening hours and everything leading up to the first temple... It's like a world of difference.

I agree with this. I was pretty disappointed with the game up until the third dungeon and beyond, it has improved a lot since then.

Ricker

Gonna head up to GS and pick this up, what's the consensus on Wii component cables? Worth the 20 bucks used? I want to play this game in full glory, or at least, until I can get a bluetooth dongle for my pc.

Definetly worth it especially if your Wii is hookep up to a big screen HDTV(plasma or LCD)

So when I put the game in its telling me to do a system update. As someone who hacked their Wii to play Xenoblade will this update brick my system or is the the same one I already have (4.3U)?

Picked up the Collector's Edition at K-Mart this morning (and got a 20 dollar gaming coupon). The guy in electronics was in the middle of building a cardboard display for the game.

Played for a little over an hour and a half and I'm just wrapping up all the tutorial stuff. Starting a little slow, but I've been enjoying the characterizations of Link and Zelda. Will probably try to clear a dungeon today, but for the most part I'm going to be saving my major game time for Thanksgiving weekend.

CassSept

I must be one of the few people on this planet that genuinely liked SS intro.

Well, anyway, it feels right now like I've booted up a Metroid game instead of Zelda. [pretty late game spoilers I think?]
Bad guys stole your gear, go get it!

Thoughts on the 6th dungeon - pretty damn good. I'd rate it on par with the 4th dungeon at the moment. The boss was disappointing though. At least the dungeon item was a nice surprise (
I found digging mitts underwhelming and basically useless, but at least that's fixed now, huh!
).

While the 6th dungeon boss was meh
(I really hoped for a new boss instead of Ghirahim rematch), the fight against Levias was really good. Not on par with the mechanical Buddha or the Medusa (I really can't remember their names right now, sorry), but still great

Oh and I have a question about shields. Is using them really necessary at all in this game? After my second shield burned down seconds after entering Eldin Volcano I just pushed on and never looked back. I might get one for the final battle, but right now I don't really see a point...

Kifimbo

Oh and I have a question about shields. Is using them really necessary at all in this game? After my second shield burned down seconds after entering Eldin Volcano I just pushed on and never looked back. I might get one for the final battle, but right now I don't really see a point...

It was really useful against
the pirate you fight on the boat in the 5th dungeon

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Surprisingly the game looks really good on my HD set! If you ever have played Epic Yarn on a HDTV, it's like that. The style hides the fact that this is a SD game very well. Also loving the draw distance making everything look like a painting from far away! :0

Top Bottom