• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Played the game with Yoshichan the entire weekend, I had a blast. Will post impressions a bit later but I have a question for those of you who've completed it, re length :

- Almost 30 hours in and we had basically just gotten the hookshot, judging by those numbers how much of the game did we have left?

Is there no way to set the Z targeting to toggle instead of hold?
Nope, unfortunately...

2 steps forward, 1 step back :/

Yeah, it is included.
It got thrown in a dark corner of my room at the speed of light
Ok good to know. Yeah I rarely use the condoms either, but just for my OCD sake it's good to have a white small wii condom so I have a correct conform for each control size (though it should gold for this game :/ )

McNum

Huh? You're in the 2nd area correct? The Iron shield should have been available to you in Skyloft's bazar
I was out of Rupees, so I didn't check... Ah, well. I'm in the market for a new shield anyway now. By the way, am I the only one playing a lot more agile style in SS than in TP? The shield being breakable pretty much made me abandon my usual turtle style. Best way to block attack? Don't be in the way of the blow!

Welp.

I just got back from Target, fully expecting to be able to walk in there and nab a copy of at least a reg edition (I was hoping for a limited ed but it doesn't really matter) without a problem.

Well, I get there a few minutes after the store opens and am greeted by a mob of mostly smelly, unkempt, and generally awkward looking gentlemen walking out. They either had that smile that wouldn't be surprising to see on someone who had just had sex, or they looked anxious to get the hell out of there with their precious cargo. I knew what was coming, they cleaned SS out. If only I had done like they did and not have wasted my time showering! These guys were professional
gamer
s, I stood no chance.

Ah well I'll just wait a week or so. I have a $50 Target gift card and I'll wait as long as I have to to use it on buying SS. I can wait.

Anyway, glad to see the game sell-out, hopefully it's the same deal elsewhere.

Hope you're enjoying it gents! I'll be with you soon!

Madao

Nope, unfortunately...

2 steps forward, 1 step back :/

not if you always played with hold. (it's superior anyway)

but the lack of options suck. no minimap is a bigger shortcoming imo.

the way boss battles is set up is also worse overall. also, the game not letting save hero mode to a second save slot TWW-style sucks big time since it overwrites your save's progress and keeps some stuff.
better backup your file before beating the game if you want to 100% it.

Surprisingly the game looks really good on my HD set! If you ever have played Epic Yarn on a HDTV, it's like that. The style hides the fact that this is a SD game very well. Also loving the draw distance making everything look like a painting from far away! :0
Perhaps that has been one of the best aspects of the Wii being underpowered. When someone strikes gold with an artstyle for a wii game, it always turns out to be a fucking amazing artstyle because graphical power cannot save a medicore artstyle.

Mario Galaxy and now Skyward Sword will turn out to have this timeless look just like Wind Waker.

Mael

I was out of Rupees, so I didn't check... Ah, well. I'm in the market for a new shield anyway now. By the way, am I the only one playing a lot more agile style in SS than in TP? The shield being breakable pretty much made me abandon my usual turtle style. Best way to block attack? Don't be in the way of the blow!

I'm never letting my shield break so I only use it to repel projectile back to senders. Any other way I play like in Metroid Prime : never be in the way and dodge like crazy.

Spoiler for the 3rd area :
That was especially a problem in the desert with the electrical bastards, I learned to use the skyward charge against them.

Wurst

OK I'm almost at the 5th dungeon
had a look around the pirate stronghold. Damn that was anticlimactic. Ran around the outside of that massive fierce jaw and couldn't find the entrance... and here I was thinking that this would be a proper dungeon. Nah, it wasn't.

The game is soo good. It picked up after the 3rd dungeon for sure. But. I'm not thrilled about the dungeons so far. 4 was better, but it wasn't as brillant as everybody writes.
My main gripe with the dungeons: Where are the
Minibosses
?
Sure
a skeleton here and there. But come on, there was not even a miniboss before the gust blower. Opened a chest in a normal room and the item was in it. WTF?

The game is really fun. I think i just hit 20 hours. Didn't even bother that much with sidequests.

Had to ask an employee of Best Buy to get my a Skyward Sword bundle--they weren't out on the shelf yet.

$54.xx out the door after reward zone certificates and tax. The $10 GC is going towards Mario Kart 7.

Just wanted to come in and say I made it to Skyward Sword's release date with a 100% complete blackout. I haven't even looked at the back of the box and know nothing of the title other than it has a "Skyward Sword" :D

My triforce of courage is glowing. I love you all.

Ugh, just realized that I may be out of town for Thanksgiving when my copy gets delivered. Does anyone know if Amazon will ship it out on Sunday?

Thoraxes

Also, I haven't seen a new Wiicondom since the initial batch went out a few months after launch.

I'm surprised at how small they've gotten.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Played the game with Yoshichan the entire weekend, I had a blast. Will post impressions a bit later but I have a question for those of you who've completed it, re length :

- Almost 30 hours in and we had basically just gotten the hookshot, judging by those numbers how much of the game did we have left?
BEST TIME OF MY LIFE :D

I've continued on with the
Sand Sea
and it's seriously the best thing EVER.

aktham

rIR02.jpg

FML I just came back from best buy. They sold out of the Special Editions. The ONE time I don't pre-order a big game :( They were going for 62.99 plus a 10 dollar gift card AND I had a 10% off and reward zone dollars. I still got the regular version for 45 and some change plus the gift card.

/rant

With that out of the way, I can't wait to get off work to play this. I avoided everything about this game (even trailers), so I'll be seeing everything for the first time :)

Biggest news of disappointment to me so far.....ugh. But I guess SS takes place in a time period before there was much civilization.

Or, based on the amount of ruins and structures and
robots and mining facilities
, it could take place
AFTER there was a big civilisation

The Lamp

They got rid of the "switch" option with L-targeting? Really? Wtf.

With those long boss battles I don't want to hold my finger down the entire time. :l why Nintendo

shibbs

I'm stuck in the lanary desert. Just got the upgraded beetle and dropped some boms in the statues. I'm in the next area (with the bird) and don't know what to do.

Any help?

Aeana

I'm stuck in the lanary desert. Just got the upgraded beetle and dropped some boms in the statues. I'm in the next area (with the bird) and don't know what to do.

Any help?

Assuming I know which area you're talking about,
You need to hit one of the crabs with a bomb and then go and stand on its shell while it moves down the sand.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm shocked at how good the motion+ is.
Like holy shit, why couldn't other developers do it this good?

They did. It's called Red Steel 2.

Oh my I got the sword, controls so good. I'm sorry for the nerdgasm I'm about to have but this is what I dreamed of playing when I bought the Wii five years ago. This is the control system we should of had for Wii action games from day one. It is crazy to think that it took this long! Obviously I haven't played around with the other items but so far the sword combat is even smoother then Red Steel 2's! Now hopefully Nintendo has implemented it into the game well enough to really make a difference. My hopes are high!

As for the beginning, Ill have impressions when I get done with the ceremony but so far the complaints look rather exaggerated right now. Maybe if you watched every single video or already played the demo then yeah I could see it getting annoying. But for us people going in as Skyward Sword virgins I believe it makes a ton more sense then Twilight Princess/Windwaker's beginning and is so far very enjoyable for me.

Bonus points: I'm getting major Skies of Arcadia vibes right now! :)

This is the control system we should of had for Wii action games from day one. It is crazy to think that it took this long!
Indeed. I think motion control would have gotten much more respect from the gaming scene had it been this good from the beginning. There would have been no excuses from devs cutting corners with stupid waggle as well when precise movement is possible.

spekkeh

Banned
Surprisingly the game looks really good on my HD set! If you ever have played Epic Yarn on a HDTV, it's like that. The style hides the fact that this is a SD game very well. Also loving the draw distance making everything look like a painting from far away! :0

Does your TV have built in FXAA or something? Or are you emulating? Cause holy shit those sharp jaggies are sawing into my eyes.

Anyway, once you get used to that the first hour until you lose Zelda has already been more emotional than thirty hours of Skyrim combined. The way this game does cutscenes and character interactions is unparalleled. Well that or it's just my major crush on Zelda.

Man, the area before dungeon 3 is like a dungeon within itself. I have to have a break after that because I feel too tired to do the actual dungeon now, haha.

The lack of one big overworld is a shame, but they really have put effort into the pre-dungeon areas, so I'm not too bummed.

However, on the map it looks like (up to dungeon 3 spoilers)
the forest, lava and desert are the only three locations in the entire game other than the sky?
I REALLY hope that isn't the case otherwise... well, it might change my opinion of the game drastically.

Please don't confirm or deny that, though. Just thinking out loud!

Big One

Banned
Man, the area before dungeon 3 is like a dungeon within itself. I have to have a break after that because I feel too tired to do the actual dungeon now, haha.

The lack of one big overworld is a shame, but they really have put effort into the pre-dungeon areas, so I'm not too bummed.

However, on the map it looks like (up to dungeon 3 spoilers)
the forest, lava and desert are the only three locations in the entire game other than the sky?
I REALLY hope that isn't the case otherwise... well, it might change my opinion of the game drastically.

Please don't confirm or deny that, though. Just thinking out loud!
Meh don't worry about it, there's more than enough variety in the game to make up for it.

Top Bottom