• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

spekkeh

Banned
I'd have to agree, I bought Skyrim last saturday on a whim (didn't plan to) and after playing it for 15 hours last week my anticipation for Zelda had dropped enormously and I saw Skyrim as being my GOTY, I booked off Friday for skyward sword but imagined myself leaving Zelda for the evening and spending all day in Skyrim.

However, once I opened my amazon order and opened the Zelda box, I needed to play this game, and I haven't looked back since. 18 hours in and loving the game, it is beautiful to look at and listen to considering it is on the less console, it is the most attractive game I have played all year.

I'm experiencing the same thing, although I forced myself back to Skyrim because that game is too awesome to leave on a whim. But Zelda does that 'okay I'll save and quit in ten minutes (...) shit how did it get three hours later' better than even Skyrim.

I'm experiencing the same thing, although I forced myself back to Skyrim because that game is too awesome to leave on a whim. But Zelda does that 'okay I'll save and quit in ten minutes (...) shit how did it get three hours later' better than even Skyrim.

I'm debating whether or not to get Skyward, considering that I'm already invested in Skyrim. :(

So much of this, and more!

I swear, every single time I decide "to play for a bit" time just sinks in so badly.

SAME HERE!!! ARGHHH It's soooo slow

Look at this Tetra cosplay to pass time:

tumblr_lopvw3NqsE1r025e0o1_500.jpg

Okay this is adorable.

So what's this about installing the game to the hard drive? Is that even possible on the Wii?

shahkur

Just done the 1st dungeon.

To anyone that's played the game.
When you hit those goddess cubes, does it open up a new island in the sky or does it unveil a secret? I went to one of the islands that it marked, and there was a chandelier that I shook to get a heart piece. Was that the secret?

Xane

When you hit those goddess cubes, does it open up a new island in the sky or does it unveil a secret? I went to one of the islands that it marked, and there was a chandelier that I shook to get a heart piece. Was that the secret?

No, there are hidden treasure chests that activate when you hit a Goddess Cube. They glow purple when they're activated.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

No. Each cube 'unlocks' a special chest, the ones that were black before. If you've unlocked one, it turns purple and you can open it.

edit: answered x2 above in the time it took to write this

Anth0ny

I've been wondering this too.

I am absolutely loving this fourth dungeon. The
underground part with all the zombies blew my mind. Awesome.

So far I really like it, i finished the first dungeon. that boss fight was awesome! the mechanics they used there reminded me of sin and punishment or something, just slowed down.

seriously though, can the game just leave me the fuck alone and let me play it?! navi shows up seemingly in every room i go into, and I just want to explore and figure it out myself. I know monsters are scary! fuck off!

There's one boss that can be beaten by 2 different methods and acording to which one is used different type of swings are need to give him the coup de grace at the end of each cycle. But i hate it's character design, sweet stuff anyways.

Smellycat

This might seem a little paranoid, but if I try to remove that circle clear tape on the LE box, will some of the cover rip off?

edit: Yep

Xane

Christ the final boss is killing my fucking dick, I'M SWEATING

Damn, I fell bad for annihilating him first try without getting hit much.
I was like "Uhm.. that's it?", then, later, I replayed him in Boss Rush Mode and got annihilated instead.
I guess I was just extremely lucky on my first try.

Yanksfan

1 hour in and the game definitely has that 'special' feeling about it. I had to tear myself away to watch Packers game.

The controls are seamless so far. I love the stamina bar and how it is used for all the different actions. Tested out the sword controls in the practice room and they were easy to pull off without any ridiculous over the top motions that would make the game otherwise embarrassing to play.

After the first conversation with
Zelda
, anyone think
she was a total bitch?

Edit - Damn, people are at the end boss already..Even with a midnight release, that is a tad concerning for its length. Did the game get released earlier this week somewhere and I missed it?

The Lamp

1 hour in and the game definitely has that 'special' feeling about it. I had to tear myself away to watch Packers game.

The controls are seamless so far. I love the stamina bar and how it is used for all the different actions. Tested out the sword controls in the practice room and they were easy to pull off without any ridiculous over the top motions that would make the game otherwise embarrassing to play.

After the first conversation with
Zelda
, anyone think
she was a total bitch?

Edit - Damn, people are at the end boss already..Even with a midnight release, that is a tad concerning for its length. Did the game get released earlier this week somewhere and I missed it?

The game was released earlier this week in Europe. They've been moaning/sighing/squealing about it since.

Tarin02543

Loving the game so far as well,
I'm back at the forest temple, trying to retrieve the Fresh Water for the Water Dragon

I like how the game has physics, I haven't seen alot of Wii games do this.

weeaboo

Well it's finally over!

Damn, I fell bad for annihilating him first try without getting hit much.
I was like "Uhm.. that's it?", then, later, I replayed him in Boss Rush Mode and got annihilated instead.
I guess I was just extremely lucky on my first try.

Dunno bro, I needed six tries to kill him. Maybe it's not that difficult but it's a tough fight

now it's ending time!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What the HELL is going on with this game?

Why does it keep getting so much better and better?! STOP IT NINTENDO, STOP WITH THE GOD DAMN SORCERY!

Aeana

Well it's finally over!

Dunno bro, I needed six tries to kill him. Maybe it's not that difficult but it's a tough fight

now it's ending time!

I had a lot of trouble throughout the last sequence, and almost all of the trouble came from either not understanding what I even needed to do in order to deal damage, or from struggling with the controls trying to get them to do what I want (
shield parry -> thrust was really hard for me to get going; it'd always do a spin attack instead
).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
super early impressions, not even headed to the surface yet.

- Zelda looks like Cate Blanchett
- Link looks like he's had collagen implants in his lips and just looks odd
- Groose is Biff Tannen. Tempted to start a new save game and call my character 'McFly'
- way, WAY too much hand holding early on. I'm walking up to a box which is clearly lying on some 'push me' ground, clearly marked differently to grass, so I walk up to it ready to push it, so I can get to higher ground. 'Hey' - here comes a pointless chat where someone tells me I can push objects blah blah. Yes I know. At least give me a short time to figure that out and then give me a hand. Jeez.

Just before I head down to the surface though, how do I get to
Beedle's airship? Sounds like I need to launch something on the bell, I was thinking slingshot but I can't find it anywhere. Really want the bug net.

I was going to say this last night but I forgot:

End of third dungeon cutscene:
Fucking lol at the "You got the harp" in the middle of the Impa/Ghirahim fight

I'm just into the
Skyview Temple
and loving how much more
difficult
this game is.

Anyone else have trouble
flying? Seems like every 5 seconds, the camera looks down, the bird flaps its wings, and I can't see where I'm going.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
god this game looks terrible on a 42" HDTV :(
WHAT?! It looks unbelievably good on my 40" Sony Bravia with component cables hooked to the Wii.

edit: Ask Corky too! ♥

CassSept

[late game spoilers]
Water Dragon is an asshole

Edit: Oh, also a quick question to those who finished the game.
You start the Hero Mode with three hearts, right? I tried keeping myself as spoiler-free as possible but that somehow slipped into my sight. Would that mean that if you do a 100% run you end up with 17 heart containers? A simply yes/no will suffice

Jesus, this game is amazing. I only have a few gripes with it, but it's hard to not give it a perfect score. I never thought this would pull me away from Dark Souls, but Nintendo pulled some magic stunts with this one. The items are so...useful. All the time o_O

god this game looks terrible on a 42" HDTV :(
Lcd or plasma?

Top Bottom